Roadmap leaked??

While frontier are not the chosen one.. from a players perspective do you think ship interiors are a safe bet? Maybe even repair limpet simulator?

Thargoid fps and ship stealing feel way beyond anything that frontier has been capable of developing into elite since the beginning of horizons at least. I don't want to get excited about that just because the fools on me this time.

Being able to get out of the seat and walk around at least some part of the ship... maybe some extended canvas to place bobbleheads / coffee machine, and maybe eva.. that's not an unreasonable bet? That's what i thought exploration was to start off with.. parking infront of a gas giant, getting out of my seat going to a window and looking at the view. Bonus points for being animated sure but that's something else :)

While frontier are not the chosen one.. from a players perspective do you think ship interiors are a safe bet? Maybe even repair limpet simulator?

Thargoid fps and ship stealing feel way beyond anything that frontier has been capable of developing into elite since the beginning of horizons at least. I don't want to get excited about that just because the fools on me this time.

Being able to get out of the seat and walk around at least some part of the ship... maybe some extended canvas to place bobbleheads / coffee machine, and maybe eva.. that's not an unreasonable bet? That's what i thought exploration was to start off with.. parking infront of a gas giant, getting out of my seat going to a window and looking at the view. Bonus points for being animated sure but that's something else :)

I too have doubts about FD's ability to pull off a full-on FPS-style gameplay in the time allotted, purely based on past performance, but let's remember that this next big update is planned to be paid content so it'll have to be something fairly substantial. I mean... do you think players will pay for the ability just to wander around the ship, make a coffee, and look out the window?

I'm afraid I'm in the camp that would prefer atmospheric planets over space legs anyway, I'm not really into FPS games and it's the vehicles in ED that are the important bits for me. If this leak turns out to be accurate I'll be quite disappointed. The upside of it being paid content though - if it is just Space Legs - is that I won't have to buy it. Base building, I dunno ... it's kind of fun in NMS but it would depend on exactly how it's implemented in ED (if it's even a thing) whether I'd actually pay for it I think.

I'm mostly okay with what's in the game already, if they just fixed the bugs and properly fleshed-out/honed/improved the features that are already there it would be almost perfect for me. Add in landing on atmos worlds and I'd be completely content.

At the moment I'm not sure if I'll bother buying the 2020 udpate at all.

There's so many different types of atmospheric planets from the same ones as we currently have now, albeit with very thin atmospheres, right through to earth-likes, so fwiw I think it's probably a mistake to say the sole reason we haven't had any more is purely a technical one. I'd expect them to arrive as a DLC pack(s) maybe?

I'm quite happy to have either, but I'd be surprised if atmospheric planets of any type are completely ruled out until after 2020. But hey, who knows? :)

Hey! We should start an online petition demanding FDev rewrite the new season and replace Space Legs with Atmospheric Planets.
Don’t get me wrong,i’m demanding legs too.

Maybe releasing atmospheric planets without earth likes and water worlds seemed a tad underwhelming for a paid update,so they decided to lump that into the following update.
And seeing as people are actively emptying their bank accounts so they can walk around in the “other” space game,it could well attract a lot of new players.

Last edited:
I still find it surprising that so many people are oblivious to the fact that what they may not want others will want, like, if legs is solely about running around shooting people it won't interest me in the least, if I wanna' go shoot people I go play UT 2004... those that still play are 'beasts' and really make it worthwhile, if however, it's release allows me to stroll round, prerhaps look out of a window and go and make coffee on that 'Hot Surface' then I might very well enjoy it.

But the big thing about Legs is, if all the content is based around ship assaults and on-board pirate attacks, hijacks, and stealing ships, the only people you'll be able to steal from will be others with the Legs expansion, those without it won't get boarded and won't get the trouble that goes with it... unless it's FREE and then it becomes compulsory, which might not be a good thing.

I can see limited FPS stuff. I can imagine the ship repairs could be modified so that repairing your ship via EVA would be more worthwhile. I can see exploration of alien ruins being in. Not sure about stations yet. I would like to see some gameplay regarding the space bars and other places that we can't currently dock at. Those space bars must be the loneliest places on the planet as nobody can actually get into them. I can see the insides of derelict ships being explorable and also the abandoned planetary bases. Maybe the Planetary bases that are not abandoned can be used as well.

I can see missions being updated to include space legs if people have that expansion.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I can see limited FPS stuff. I can imagine the ship repairs could be modified so that repairing your ship via EVA would be more worthwhile. I can see exploration of alien ruins being in. Not sure about stations yet. I would like to see some gameplay regarding the space bars and other places that we can't currently dock at. Those space bars must be the loneliest places on the planet as nobody can actually get into them. I can see the insides of derelict ships being explorable and also the abandoned planetary bases. Maybe the Planetary bases that are not abandoned can be used as well.

I can see missions being updated to include space legs if people have that expansion.

There are so many possibilities for doing space legs proper it's impossible to list them all (although some passionate fans here have made a valiant effort!).
I think if/when they are a 'thing' we are likely to see walking around our bridge and to a select few pieces of station interiors. That's the low-hanging fruit. Doing some 'extra pip' kinda stuff like we saw with multi-crew to incentivie using the first person stuff is likely.

I'd love it if they would roll out new gameplay like the repair stuff or exploration activity that you mention, though!

There are so many possibilities for doing space legs proper it's impossible to list them all (although some passionate fans here have made a valiant effort!).
I think if/when they are a 'thing' we are likely to see walking around our bridge and to a select few pieces of station interiors. That's the low-hanging fruit. Doing some 'extra pip' kinda stuff like we saw with multi-crew to incentivie using the first person stuff is likely.

I'd love it if they would roll out new gameplay like the repair stuff or exploration activity that you mention, though!
To be honest, I would expect new gameplay. They are giving themselves over two years to do it, I would expect more then just walking around in the bridge.

I wouldn't be surprised if they could knock that out in a few months. Avatars are already done as are the bridges.

From what we know already about FD's approach to these things, the artwork and sound will be absolutely brilliant. There will be program bugs, and we can forgive them those, but the implementation of the gameplay will disappoint just about everyone because expectations are so high !

I think you nailed it.. that sounds the most plausible. Ships, some easy / obvious / required sandbox places supporting walking around, and a new mission board with leg missions. Ship theft would be the FPS version of piracy. You’d need some elementary station traversal to do it too.

That sounds very nice actually.

Also was just skimming through the latest stream.. did will just dismiss 2020 space legs as a ‘not yet’ kinda looking sick of the fact that we know already? Heheh

my worry is what ever FD do it will be gimped due to trying not to annoy the "but it was so much faster before" folk.

example. i would say it would be cool if when our ship is shot to hell we have to shut down, go into eva and do repairs sometimes in sometimes out of the ship... however how would that mesh with the current mechanic of ship repair? if it was just an optional but slower way of doing it, that would make iit pretty rubbish imo, however if it was the new repair mechanic the complaints from some would be deafening.

rock and hardplace comes to mind and that is the problem with releasing at base level with a view to fleshing out later.

Last edited:

dxm55

Banned
Space Legs = Unnecessary addition to the core game concept = scope creep
Don't make the same mistake as Star Citizen, and keep piling on side quest features that are not central to the concept of the game.
That is when you get lost in an endless quagmire of stretch goals, lofty ideas, and ultimately delayed/flawed execution.

This is a space combat/trading/exploration sim at its heart.
Not a foolhardy attempt at a swiss army knife.

The ability to fly into and land onto atmospheric planets would IMO, complete the core concept of this game, finally making it complete at the most base level.
Which is about flying to places, landing, and generally just being there. Everything else, trading, mining, community goals are things to do in the game, that rides atop the ability to be able to go that locale.

In Frontier:Elite 2, you could approach and land at almost any planets except gas ones. You had cities on atmospheric planets. Landing pads in the open without airlocks.
Imagine how cool it would look with today's technology.

Sure, for a bit more of immersion, perhaps you can give cut scenes or 3D static scenes of an office, a lounge, a bar, a factory, etc etc, when you access the different starport services (instead of a menu in your cockpit). That requires a lot less work and unnecessary distraction to the main theme, than space legs. That can be added later on, once the core of the game has been completed.

Last edited:
Planet atmosphere would be much harder to sell wouldn't it? It would be horizons 1.5 and we've eaten 3 years of horizons so far.

Gas giants looking like they're solid from every viewpoint is a bit dumb, maybe some haze to make them believable (consoles i know, the ps4 pro barely handles base elite at 1080p).. That would be nice.

Doing the same thing, current planets reskinned on different looking planets sounds less appealing than the first wish of elite. Without space legs, what could you do differently on atmosphered planets? Scooping around gas giants sounds epic, but also hollow without legs.

Without Max Factors brilliant prediction, i had no idea what to expect. Starting from ship interiors with frontier style mission board centric approach sounds very realistic to imagine. If it turns out to be more star citizen design and less menu that can only be a pleasant surprise... but no expectations because frontier. I hate to bring up that horrible thing that exists, but a glorified version of freelancer star citizen xrebirth / x4 / rebel galaxy it would be pretty good in our elite. Id be happy with ship interiors and npcs to pick up missions from rather than some stupid text box. At least elite would be "almost finished" then...

Also while i actually am well impressed with what 20 (tm) people did with x-rebirth, if elite ends up feeling the same it will be a massive fail. x-rebirth was forgiveable because it was by a tiny team releasing most of star citizen in 2015. Elites a little bit different.

Last edited:

dxm55

Banned
I'd imagine that flying in atmospheric worlds would also entail different flight mechanics.
But then we already have a wealth of flight simulators out here in the real world to reference from, and FDev would not need to reinvent the wheel. The flight models or engines are available for reference.

Or perhaps Fdev would choose to limit forays into atmospheric worlds to only those ships with aerodynamic shapes? (Cobra, FDL, Mamba, Python, just to name a few)
And not those bricks like the T9, Corvette?

Or perhaps they can consider having mods done to these brick ships (like the current cosmetics wings, spoilers, bumpers) that have to be added to the ship to enable them to enter an atmosphere?

But it has to happen eventually, and soon. There's only so far that FDev can keep adding "features" like Engineers, Community Goals, which are basically just EVE-Online style spreadsheet and stats grind mini-games before the playerbase realize it's not really new features....

Top Bottom