Wing Ops Mining.

I would focus on core mining only with maybe a mining laser outfitted for gathering mats if needed. The subsurface mining hasn't done anything for me. I can put 2 seismic charges into an asteroid most of the time and crack it open if I find low strength fissures. Otherwise it takes 3.

Are you saying the pay doubles if you have a wingmate (basically you each get 1.6m Cr per void opal even if you have a total of one void opal?). That doesn't sound right. I can see wing missions paying that way, but not commodities.

Are you saying the pay doubles if you have a wingmate (basically you each get 1.6m Cr per void opal even if you have a total of one void opal?). That doesn't sound right. I can see wing missions paying that way, but not commodities.
I do not know what is going to happen with mining.
With exploration, if both enter a system and only one does the complete scan, both get full credit and both get bonuses for new discoveries.
With planetary salvage operations I think the wingman, if it was near the surface when the salvage was collected, got a percentage of the sale if it was at the station where I did the sale.
I think I have had a time when the wingman got to collect a bounty for a kill made by the other ship.
I know that a crew member gets a percentage of the sale or bounty if it is on the ship when the sale is made or the bounty collected even if it wasn't onboard for the salvage recovery or the kill.
Now all of this except the exploration was before the last three updates.

What I've seen with wing mining is that the charges don't work (for me) and/or don't display the graph to know the yield level.

If both get the payout then in effect you could make 3x more than your haul even with a full load if your wingmates also have a full load and same loadouts. This assumes you can do it with 2 other wingmates.

What I've seen with wing mining is that the charges don't work (for me) and/or don't display the graph to know the yield level.

If both get the payout then in effect you could make 3x more than your haul even with a full load if your wingmates also have a full load and same loadouts. This assumes you can do it with 2 other wingmates.
I think what will happen with the payout is that both will get whatever they sell and each will get a percentage of what the other sells. Not sure.

As for the "charges". Do you mean that the Seismic Charges fail?? What little can be found about this looks like both/all ships had a seismic launcher. I can see a possibility where the launcher on one ship would/could interfere with what the charges did that were launched from the other ship. I am only fitting one ship with the launcher.

I will only have one wingmate since I am flying both ships personally on side by side computers.

I have the Harriman and Strong Limited (HASL) Wing open for business to any that are willing/able to meet the prerequisites.

With selling commodities I'm pretty sure wingman gets a percentage, 10% I believe.

Basically you can have the main payoff go to whichever account you want by having that ship sell, the other gets the percentage. Note for actual wing missions (supply x number of y mineral) everyone in the wing gets the mission payout upon completion.

With selling commodities I'm pretty sure wingman gets a percentage, 10% I believe.

Basically you can have the main payoff go to whichever account you want by having that ship sell, the other gets the percentage. Note for actual wing missions (supply x number of y mineral) everyone in the wing gets the mission payout upon completion.
In that case the other ship doesn't need to be in the instance. They can be back at the dock I think, collecting welfare money.

When I go core mining for VO's I just take an abrasion blaster and seismic charges, I've never seen VO's as subsurface deposites. Don't forget the detailed surface scanner to find the hot spots, and a pulse wave scanner for locating targets use a prospector limpet to identify the core and fissures. Good luck.

P. S. Using night vision with pws helps to identify cored asteroids.

I have never done any wing "missions" so not sure about that. I am pretty sure that I have seen a thing where I can change the percentage a Crewman gets. Don't remember seeing that option for a wingmate.

Crew take a fixed percentage of profits* in relation to their rank and increases with increasing rank. It is 50 % cheaper for you to hire a harmless crew member and train them up than to directly hire an expert.

*Regardless of whether they are active or not

Last edited:
Crew take a fixed percentage of profits* in relation to their rank and increases with increasing rank. It is 50 % cheaper for you to hire a harmless crew member and train them up than to directly hire an expert.

*Regardless of whether they are active or not
I am NOT talking about NPC CREW.. I am talking about HUMAN CREW.

I am NOT talking about NPC CREW.. I am talking about HUMAN CREW.
They take a fixed percentage based on relative difference in rank between them and the captain.

P. S. THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT

P. P. S.

Last edited:
Really wasn't "yelling". Just trying to emphasis that I started the thread based on human wingmates. Keep getting stuff stuck in it about NPC's and it is irritating. NPC behavior and human behavior and how the game treats them are not the same.
I have never done NPC's wings or NPC crew and at present, don't plan to so I don't need information about then.
Getting the strong impression that no one has actually done much wing operations with humans for anything other than massacre missions.

Ok. Out at the edge of the bubble. Taken on some limpets. Plotted a course out about 180ly to a system I have marked as 7 of 9 High Value minerals.
Went ahead and added a mining laser to the miner/prospector AspX.
Got both ships outside the station limits and set up fire groups.
The Collector/rinery AspX was simple. All the scanners on FB two and the Collector on FB 1 in FG 1. The collector looks like it will work in both modes. I run my turrets in Fire at will and they are all in FG 2 split between the buttons. Buttons will be useless but my past experience says they have to be on button in a FG to even kick in when in auto.

The Miner/Prospector seems more complicated.
FG 1 has all the scanners on FB 2 and the Prospector on FB 1. Looks like the Prospector works in both modes. The Data Link works in both modes as well. I think this will work since the Pulse Wave is a click to activate while the Discovery is Hold till scan is complete.
FG 2 has the Seismic Charge on FB 2 and the Disp Missle on FB 1
FG 3 has the Abrasion Blaster on FB 2 and the mining Laser on FB 1. It is interesting that it looks like both will target a ship and fire at that ship if it is range while in Analysis mode.
FG 4 has my two Small MCT's on FB 1

Really wasn't "yelling". Just trying to emphasis that I started the thread based on human wingmates. Keep getting stuff stuck in it about NPC's and it is irritating. NPC behavior and human behavior and how the game treats them are not the same.
I have never done NPC's wings or NPC crew and at present, don't plan to so I don't need information about then.
Getting the strong impression that no one has actually done much wing operations with humans for anything other than massacre missions.
As I said, multicrew mining is broken. I've tried it a few times, seismic charges detonate upon impact. There are plenty threads here about the issues in wing in multicrew when trying to mine. These aren't new issues either.

Good luck.

As I said, multicrew mining is broken. I've tried it a few times, seismic charges detonate upon impact. There are plenty threads here about the issues in wing in multicrew when trying to mine. These aren't new issues either.

Good luck.
And I have read several threads. They mostly seem to be about doing WING and MULTICREW simultaneously or simply mining with a multicrew ship. It isn't clear in any of the ones I read whether the "crew" was human, operating all the mining tools or just some of them or NPC doing whatever an NPC might be able to do as part of a mining operation.

There is also the issue of the mining tools coming in both turret and fixed types. As soon as there is a "crew" in the gunner role, all the turreted mining stuff goes to the gunner. So, if you have a mix of turreted and fixed mining tools and a gunner does that mess up things??

That is part of why I am attempting purely two ship wing mining with only one set of all the mining tools on one ship both ships controlled by me, a human, so I can get the variables down to a minimum and I can directly see what happens.

If this fails I plan to head back to the edge of the bubble, fit one of the AspX's with all the mining tools in turrets and and go back and try mining with and without me in both seats again so I can see what actually is happening.

Initial observations.

I found an uninhabited anarchy system about 150 LY from my bubble edge home base that has Alexadrite, Benitoite, Grandderite, LT Dia, VO, Moinssantite, and Serendibite in it.

I have now had both my ships scanned by three ships.
One of those was a "SYSTEM AUTHORITY". Both of the others were looking for stuff to steal and I had never logged off and back on or moved from Normal Space to SC and back. Now I suppose it is possible I got the 2 pirates because I had two ships drop into the same spot at different times although both of the pirates scanned both of my ships. Got a KWS on one but he was worthless.

Seismic Charges are not detonating on contact. They do follow the game designed 120 sec timer.

The quality of the graphics card does make a difference. Even with the same settings in game graphics, I can see more detail on my machine with the GTX 1050 TI OC than I can on the machine with the GTX 745 OEM. Both are on the same brand/model monitor also set for the same resolutions. But, even the 745 OEM seems good enough to do the prospecting and mining.

The rock I am shooting a prospector at must be glowing when I fire the limpet or the limpet will fail. So the PSW and the Prospector must be in the same fire group on different keys.

So far it appears that if there are visible surface deposits on a rock, there will not be anything inside the rock. Also the rocks with surface deposits seem to get a general all over glow from the PWS. The surface deposits are easy to see from some distance so at present I plan to ignore them since I have not found anything useful inside them. I really cannot see any difference between the effectiveness of the mining laser and the Abrasion blaster when trying to dislodge surface deposits. The abrasion blaster does better cleaning up the fragments dislodged by the SSM.

Rocks with sub-surface deposits seem to show a more mottled glow as you get closer to them with the brighter areas over the top of the subsurface deposits.

So far I have not found anything that is "core" and I have not yet managed to break any rocks apart with the SCL so I suspect that only rocks with core deposits can be broken up.

I have run out of Prospector Limpets so I have to head back and load up.

Also now thinking that I might want to put and Abrasion Blaster on the Refinery/Collector ship. Could make things go a bit faster when I have a friend sitting in the other chair running one of the ships. That way both could be cleaning fragments.

YMMV
Enjoy

Initial observations.

I found an uninhabited anarchy system about 150 LY from my bubble edge home base that has Alexadrite, Benitoite, Grandderite, LT Dia, VO, Moinssantite, and Serendibite in it.

I have now had both my ships scanned by three ships.
One of those was a "SYSTEM AUTHORITY". Both of the others were looking for stuff to steal and I had never logged off and back on or moved from Normal Space to SC and back. Now I suppose it is possible I got the 2 pirates because I had two ships drop into the same spot at different times although both of the pirates scanned both of my ships. Got a KWS on one but he was worthless.

Seismic Charges are not detonating on contact. They do follow the game designed 120 sec timer.

The quality of the graphics card does make a difference. Even with the same settings in game graphics, I can see more detail on my machine with the GTX 1050 TI OC than I can on the machine with the GTX 745 OEM. Both are on the same brand/model monitor also set for the same resolutions. But, even the 745 OEM seems good enough to do the prospecting and mining.

The rock I am shooting a prospector at must be glowing when I fire the limpet or the limpet will fail. So the PSW and the Prospector must be in the same fire group on different keys.

So far it appears that if there are visible surface deposits on a rock, there will not be anything inside the rock. Also the rocks with surface deposits seem to get a general all over glow from the PWS. The surface deposits are easy to see from some distance so at present I plan to ignore them since I have not found anything useful inside them. I really cannot see any difference between the effectiveness of the mining laser and the Abrasion blaster when trying to dislodge surface deposits. The abrasion blaster does better cleaning up the fragments dislodged by the SSM.

Rocks with sub-surface deposits seem to show a more mottled glow as you get closer to them with the brighter areas over the top of the subsurface deposits.

So far I have not found anything that is "core" and I have not yet managed to break any rocks apart with the SCL so I suspect that only rocks with core deposits can be broken up.

I have run out of Prospector Limpets so I have to head back and load up.

Also now thinking that I might want to put and Abrasion Blaster on the Refinery/Collector ship. Could make things go a bit faster when I have a friend sitting in the other chair running one of the ships. That way both could be cleaning fragments.

YMMV
Enjoy

Update:
Logged back in and changed the fire groups and found that I still had a few Prospector Limpets.

Interesting that my ships had become separated by about 300 km. One of them got to watch a NPC do some surface mining and when it moved away from that NPC a pirate showed up and scanned me. While that was happening a different pirate showed up and scanned the other ship and then later as I got both ships back within about 12 km a new pirate showed up and scanned bot ships.

I am getting a lot more NPC pirates than I have been lead to believe I would see.
Still have not found anything "core".

Last edited:
Do NPC's show up and harass/attack when mining in the void.
Yes, if there is even as little as one outpost within 300ly (not sure about the distance but I seem to recall 300 for some reason)
If one ship is attacked, do all ships in the wing immediately automatically see the NPC as hostile?
Yes (Actually red on the radar of the attacked ship and purple on the radar of the wingman, unless you messed up your hud that is)
If one ship in a wing does a KWS on an NPC, do both ship get the info and the additional bounties?
Yes

Top Bottom