News Lifetime Expansion Pass Holders - Update!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Forgive me a moment, mates, but I've been playing a fair bit of Dragon Warrior XI with my daughter, and I have my issues with it, to be sure, but based on modern reviews, I actually have the completely opposite opinion of it of some others on the internet. It struck me as ironic, and, well, I kind of hate the way gaming on games for playing them as a game player has gone over the past... decade.

I think this game might well be suffering the same fate in its implementation while trying to appease the taste of the old guard.

I never played this game before 2015, but being born a few decades ago, and well, wanting what was discussed and talked about it being... compared to the gameplay and progression meta that we got... I kind of hate* Frontier for ruining the game and giving in to the lowest handing fruit. Sorry, and honestly, nothing personal... Just stop pandering to the lowest common low hanging fruit and make your game epic. You did it with the galactic sim.

*Edit: Not like they stole my goat or anything, of course. Maybe more like a fly saw fit to make their last holiday count by ending up in my otherwise rather refreshing beer.

Last edited:
Forgive me a moment, mates, but I've been playing a fair bit of Dragon Warrior XI with my daughter, and I have my issues with it, to be sure, but based on modern reviews, I actually have the completely opposite opinion of it of some others on the internet. It struck me as ironic, and, well, I kind of hate the way gaming on games for playing them as a game player has gone over the past... decade.

I think this game might well be suffering the same fate in its implementation while trying to appease the taste of the old guard.

I never played this game before 2015, but being born a few decades ago, and well, wanting what was discussed and talked about it being... compared to the gameplay and progression meta that we got... I kind of hate Frontier for ruining the game and giving in to the lowest handing fruit. Sorry, and honestly, nothing personal... Just stop pandering the the lowest common low hanging fruit and make your game epic.

I don't recall seeing very many issues when I began playing ED (around 2.1 update), I can't say the same anymore.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing very many issues when I began playing ED (around 2.1 update), I can't say the same anymore.

True, though in my estimate, it was the beginning of the end of the golden era of Elite: Dangerous. After the Engineers, slowly but surely, the meta gameplay was met with the reason to play instead of having reason to play the game itself. It's the fate of those who can't see beyond the MMO milk them as they go scheme of development. The game is only the consequence. Shame it can only ever play second string given these conditions. On the other hand, the galactic sim is second to none, so there is that. It's how they suckered me in, along with the sc-fi setting and score.

YMMV

I never played this game before 2015, but being born a few decades ago, and well, wanting what was discussed and talked about it being... compared to the gameplay and progression meta that we got... I kind of hate Frontier for ruining the game and giving in to the lowest handing fruit. Sorry, and honestly, nothing personal... Just stop pandering to the lowest common low hanging fruit and make your game epic. You did it with the galactic sim.
Pretty contraversial equating old guard to lowest common denominator. Actually I would say the original game that was proposed and was past the KS goals by the "old guard" was far more detailed than what FD have produced so far

Last edited:
Pretty contraversial equating old guard to lowest common denominator. Actually I would say the original game that was proposed and was past the KS goals by the "old guard" was far more detailed than what FD have produced so far
Quite, and a pity that the DDA is no longer accessible to show how detailed the game was originally going to be.

As for my LEP, I got it as part of my KS pledge so I’m more sanguine about future developments (though I do empathise with those who spent a substantial amount on later LEP’s), and I’ve come to consider it as Schrödinger’s LEP - my expansions box may only ever contain Horizons, but is also stuffed to the gills with a load of other DLC at the same time :)

For clarity, I wasn't equating them. Sorry for any confusion. Suppose it's often too easy to read more or less into what I write.

My point was more that the game doesn't entirely seem to be made for who it is (or was) being sold to, at least in some respects.

The kid doing the review of the other game I posted comes across as a "retro gaming nerd," and while they apparently like the game they're reviewing, from my perspective they like and dislike it for all the wrong reasons, though ironically, I still actually kind of like it as well.

Naturally, I like this game too, but I'm not altogether fond of the directions it's taken after the Horizons release.

Cheers.

Last edited:
For clarity, I wasn't equating them. Sorry for any confusion. Suppose it's often too easy to read more or less into what I write.

My point was more that the game doesn't entirely seem to be made for who it is (or was) being sold to, at least in some respects.
I agree 100%. I am sure the majority of the Kickstarters and initial purchasers were Elite players of old, so were expecting ED to stay true to its origins. It has not exactly panned out that way, at all. Of course, Frontier said at the outset that they're making the game they want to play, so we're just along for the ride.

Naturally, I like this game too, but I'm not altogether fond of the directions it's taken after the Horizons release.
I like the game; it's phenomenal in VR and is the only game I really play nowadays but there are aspects of it I am not fond of which have been there since before Horizons (ranking in the Empire or Federation should be mutually exclusive, ships should have crewing requirements that have to be paid) but Horizons itself for me hasn't been too bad (except for the pew-pew focus, and the introduction of Thargoids way too early IMO).

@Agony_Aunt

Since you don't like us talking about dead horses, what could we talk about? The forum would be dead and silent.

Isn't an Asp in front of things a dead horse?
Isn't "I bought my first Anaconda" a dead horse?
Isn't "finally made Elite" or "reached SagA*" a dead horse?
Isn't Guardian/Engineering grind a dead horse, or Thargoid combat?
Aren't trade or combat CGs I.I.s a dead horse?

What should we talk about on this forum if not the game (and its herd of undead horses)?

@Agony_Aunt

Since you don't like us talking about dead horses, what could we talk about? The forum would be dead and silent.

Isn't an Asp in front of things a dead horse?
Isn't "I bought my first Anaconda" a dead horse?
Isn't "finally made Elite" or "reached SagA*" a dead horse?
Isn't Guardian/Engineering grind a dead horse, or Thargoid combat?
Aren't trade or combat CGs I.I.s a dead horse?

What should we talk about on this forum if not the game (and its herd of undead horses)?

There are dozens of topics a day that are not dead horses or maybe repeats but new for the OP.

Can you tell me what, for the last 40 pages or so, this thread has actually produced of use?

It seems strange when there has been a procession of paid for DLC for Planet Coaster, that there will be no paid for DLC for Elite Dangerous between the end of 2015 and the end of 2020. Only FDevs can explain why this has happened but they choose not to.

It seems strange when there has been a procession of paid for DLC for Planet Coaster, that there will be no paid for DLC for Elite Dangerous between the end of 2015 and the end of 2020. Only FDevs can explain why this has happened but they choose not to.
I assume it's because of the MMO - one universe aspect of the game. ED can't risk to fragment its playerbase too much with too many different DLC combinations. Too much bug/problem inducing too.

I assume it's because of the MMO - one universe aspect of the game. ED can't risk to fragment its playerbase too much with too many different DLC combinations. Too much bug/problem inducing too.

Maybe. Perhaps someone from FDev could provide some insight.

Maybe. Perhaps someone from FDev could provide some insight.

Will FD bundle Horizons with ED Core when Legs pops in for a chat?

So far its a clean demarcation where you are told whats off limits. Its going to be hard with Legs as you could technically be walking around on a ship in space which is good for Core but not on a planet (as with Horizons).

Will FD bundle Horizons with ED Core when Legs pops in for a chat?

So far its a clean demarcation where you are told whats off limits. Its going to be hard with Legs as you could technically be walking around on a ship in space which is good for Core but not on a planet (as with Horizons).

Another good question it would be helpful for Fdev to clarify. The way the addons were piled into Horizons suggests so, or alternatively it may simply be a lack of forward planning. I think any future DLC may well require elements of Horizons (passenger cabins, guardian stuff etc) but the single current DLC will just be made cheap enough that it overcomes the issue of compatibility.

otoh base building can be in space as well as on planet surfaces, and a player doesn't need to be able to land on airless worlds to be able to land on atmospheric ones or to walk around the ship & space stations.

I would have thought we would know this level of detail of the roadmap by now tbh, is the LEP an obstacle to this either way?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom