Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Quite honestly,i think you don't need such a resource,unless you really want to streamline the process.Resources are so abundant,even random farming fills the bins,albeit at a slower place.And the neutron highway,whilst exciting,comes at a cost in terms of equipment degradation.It is very addictive though,and sometimes can be very helpful.

Thing is, I've got full bins for some things, and I'm half empty on others. I'd really like to find a planet that has only the things I need, rather than wasting half the stuff that's dropping.

Kind of feels like there has been enough data mining done to make this but... maybe you're right and not enough people care.

It depends very much on your playstile and needs.I agree it feels a bit 'off' to leave stuff lying about if you don't need it, so i shoot a couple and if no joy,move on.Or find a planet without poi's and search 'old skool' style.
And if you are 'sploring you are not going to be able to find details except by going there.

I think the colonial engineers only go up to three,but they may have changed it since.

Apparently their capabilities can be increased if sufficient people get enough work done by them, there is a thread about an organised attempt to do this over on Dangerous Discussions about Operation Montgomery Scott with details of progress some blueprints over there are now higher grade than in the Bubble.

Well, after the FDS engineering debacle ( :() I've got the Python out of storage at Robigo, and shall have a gander at the old HGE business.

I am not sure how they work these days, been a few months since I tried looking for them.

We shall see...

The biggest nightmare about Prof Palin is the 5,000Ly trip away from your start system, I don’t remember much great difficulty getting the fragments he wants. Of course you have to unlock and work with Marco Q first but getting the Sirius permit and doing that aren’t too bad.

Mel doesn’t require an intermediate engineer to be unlocked and only wants a few bounties handing over but does need you to travel much further than the Professor does to reach him.

I’d say go with the Professor but then I haven’t gone much further out than his unlock distance.
To unlock Palin, outrig a ship for as long jump range as you can and as big a fuel scoop as possible, if you haven't got that already. Then pick something 5000 ly away. I can recomend:

Trifid Sector BQ-Y D244

Once you get there, check the pods ;)

I went there in a Conda with a 78 ly jump range and a 7A fuel scoop. It took me an hour. Then I played with the pods for a while, and used another hour to get back to Palin. It will also increase your explorer rank.

Thanks, guys. I think I was already a little sold on Palin, so I'll go ahead on your word. My thought was to pick a POI on this list close to 5k away; maybe there's one near the pods. I've already got my FSD Extended to G5 and a few other lightweight mods, so my DBX is up to 57 laden. Now I'm debating on whether to get the Guardian booster prior to going on the 5k trip. Prolly.

Thanks, guys. I think I was already a little sold on Palin, so I'll go ahead on your word. My thought was to pick a POI on this list close to 5k away; maybe there's one near the pods. I've already got my FSD Extended to G5 and a few other lightweight mods, so my DBX is up to 57 laden. Now I'm debating on whether to get the Guardian booster prior to going on the 5k trip. Prolly.
I recommend the FSD booster. (y)
My DBX just wouldn't be the same without it.

If you go for the Guardian FSD booster blueprint, add a Point Defense to the DBX. Park the ship as close as possible. That will take out the sentinels for you automatically, and they can be quite annoying. ;) Also consider two SRVs if you haven't tried guardian sites before. It's a long way back to the nearest station if you need another one.

The FSD booster is a must if you want to travel far. It's a bit of a challenge to get the blueprint (find a Youtube video), but once you have it, you can buy boosters for as many ships as you like, and contrary to engineering you won't need mats. The G5 gives you ~10 ly extra, but even a G3 will add 7 ly jump range. It's probably the best mod in the game.

If you go for the Guardian FSD booster blueprint, add a Point Defense to the DBX. Park the ship as close as possible. That will take out the sentinels for you automatically, and they can be quite annoying. ;) Also consider two SRVs if you haven't tried guardian sites before. It's a long way back to the nearest station if you need another one.

The FSD booster is a must if you want to travel far. It's a bit of a challenge to get the blueprint (find a Youtube video), but once you have it, you can buy boosters for as many ships as you like, and contrary to engineering you won't need mats. The G5 gives you ~10 ly extra, but even a G3 will add 7 ly jump range. It's probably the best mod in the game.
I've seen the walkthroughs; doesn't seem bad at all, especially after grinding out Bug Killer and Dav and HGE's and finding traders...At least the guardians have some kind of logical flow with a reward at the end. According to the build I'm putting together it'll give me an extra 9.3, putting me dang close to the build's max.

And I do have 2 SRV's for the moment, but I think I'll have to downgrade once I get the booster since they came with a size 4 module. Anyways, I'll have them for the guardian grind. Good tip, tho.

Last edited:
I've seen the walkthroughs; doesn't seem bad at all, especially after grinding out Bug Killer and Dav and HGE's and finding traders...At least the guardians have some kind of logical flow with a reward at the end. According to the build I'm putting together it'll give me an extra 9.3, putting me dang close to the build's max.

And I do have 2 SRV's for the moment, but I think I'll have to downgrade once I get the booster since they came with a size 4 module. Anyways, I'll have them for the guardian grind. Good tip, tho.
The two SRV's are only necessary if you're clumsy like me at the guardian site. I normally leave SRV's at home, since they make me motion sick in VR.

The DBX is an excellent ship. Only problem (all ships have at least one) is the limited size of the fuel scoop combined with the large fuel tank. That gets worse with a larger jump range, since each jump then uses more fuel. (No free lunch ;))

The two SRV's are only necessary if you're clumsy like me at the guardian site. I normally leave SRV's at home, since they make me motion sick in VR.

The DBX is an excellent ship. Only problem (all ships have at least one) is the limited size of the fuel scoop combined with the large fuel tank. That gets worse with a larger jump range, since each jump then uses more fuel. (No free lunch ;))
I see the fuel scoop size as a common complaint against the DBX, but for those (like me) who haven't experienced anything faster, it isn't a problem. My only frame of reference is the size 2 that I upgraded from, and I'll take the 4 with no complaints! I never get impatient for my scooping to complete, and I hate waiting, so it can't be so bad, objectively.

Well...
Just took my lightly engineered, badly armoured Asp Scout out for a spin.
Was checking out the Guardian weapons for another thread and...
Dropped into a Haz, 2 small Gauss, 2 turreted Shard.
Took out four ships, heat alarm klaxons ringing like crazy, heat sinks offline, PANIC!

Loved it. If I had a joystick I would probably have snapped it off.

I've been in the comfort zone too long.

Time to kick it up a level.

(Highway to the danger zone!) :D(y)

Hmm. So, I finally took the iCourier to an HRES. Thing turns on a sixpence which is nice. One thing it could do with is sensors that have a fast scan. Hah. I think I'll have to settle for long range instead of the lightweight mod they currently have - although that looks like a huge mass hit.

So far, I think this ship is better than my Vulture but time will tell. Both ships are quite nicely engineered (although not to their absolute meta).

Been cruising around in a HAZ RES with my challlenger, with full Multicannon loadout and it is a blast!
Sure have to stop to go reload from time to time, but when i do have ammo... Its so fun to see those NPCs ships melt away fast...

And off course, i see my combat rank raise and i get lots and lots of materials for the engenieers, wich is my current goal, to get the necessary to engenieer to the max i can atm all my ships, will go out probrably in a couple of days with my Krait Phantom to gather resources planetside and them after all this ill work on unlocking all the engenieers so i can do the rest.

Still wanting to go explore, and i will as a relax from this material grinding for sure, but will stick close to the bubble this time.

I decided to get back to my Alt CMDR for a bit. I had cleared the save on my Alt account back when the newbie changes went in, but all I did was look around the new permit-locked areas and then parked my Sidey in some random station and went back to my Main. So I picked it back up today, and found that I had about 700k credits so far. :)

No matter what ship you're in, the ED galaxy is still beautiful, though, I have to say. Here's my little Sidey today, parked in the glare of a star:

Anyway...I spent a few hours messing about in the Sidewinder, doing a few little missions and getting enough to upgrade to a decent FSD. Then I went on a little trip to see some nearby well-known water worlds and earth likes. For some reason the Cartographic Society will pay rather high prices for re-scans of these well-known worlds. The new FSS makes it very easy to locate and scan these planets, so it's light work.

I decided to aim generally toward Empire space, since I might, maybe, want a Clipper sometime. Probably not, but it's as good a reason to pick a direction as any. I sold off my "hard earned" exploration data when I got there, earning myself about 4 million creds and a few ranks of Exploration (and an invite from Felicity). I'm also now friendly with the local faction, and I just pulled into town.

I stored the Sidey. The joy of flying a little tin can is lost on me, I suppose. So I moved into a slightly larger tin can, the Viper MKIV. Messed around looking for the modules I wanted at a couple stations, but got it outfitted well enough for the moment. It's set up for multi-role missions, with 34T of cargo space, an SRV and DSS. Weapons can come later, if at all on this ship. I'll think about it later.

Ended the day in the Viper MKIV, which I have not named yet, with a few mill in the bank and nothing but a clean slate ahead of me. :p

I decided to get back to my Alt CMDR for a bit. I had cleared the save on my Alt account back when the newbie changes went in, but all I did was look around the new permit-locked areas and then parked my Sidey in some random station and went back to my Main. So I picked it back up today, and found that I had about 700k credits so far. :)

No matter what ship you're in, the ED galaxy is still beautiful, though, I have to say. Here's my little Sidey today, parked in the glare of a star:

View attachment 132510

Anyway...I spent a few hours messing about in the Sidewinder, doing a few little missions and getting enough to upgrade to a decent FSD. Then I went on a little trip to see some nearby well-known water worlds and earth likes. For some reason the Cartographic Society will pay rather high prices for re-scans of these well-known worlds. The new FSS makes it very easy to locate and scan these planets, so it's light work.

I decided to aim generally toward Empire space, since I might, maybe, want a Clipper sometime. Probably not, but it's as good a reason to pick a direction as any. I sold off my "hard earned" exploration data when I got there, earning myself about 4 million creds and a few ranks of Exploration (and an invite from Felicity). I'm also now friendly with the local faction, and I just pulled into town.

I stored the Sidey. The joy of flying a little tin can is lost on me, I suppose. So I moved into a slightly larger tin can, the Viper MKIV. Messed around looking for the modules I wanted at a couple stations, but got it outfitted well enough for the moment. It's set up for multi-role missions, with 34T of cargo space, an SRV and DSS. Weapons can come later, if at all on this ship. I'll think about it later.

Ended the day in the Viper MKIV, which I have not named yet, with a few mill in the bank and nothing but a clean slate ahead of me. :p

View attachment 132511
It's always great fun starting over. :)

Codger takes amazing photo's. I had a few I've taken recently that I added to my "memories" album that I'll share with my family once the space legs have been worn out (pun intended) and I've hung up my remlock suit - and I've retired to a nice TWW in my dotage.

Here are a few. I'm not the best cameraman in the galazy but he ho...

K6zcz7E.jpg

HFXFrS6.jpg

sYqC5gE.jpg

JVpTX9R.jpg

F9ArUW5.jpg

Top Bottom