Any rumblings from FD about allowing the FSS to be used while moving?

Already been answered, the 30 km/s (10,800km/h) limitation is due to it being difficult to scan at higher velocities, also keep in mind above 30 km/s the ship will continue to accelerate. 30km/s (is the only stable velocity in SC until you reach 2001c)

I too would like the option of at least viewing the FSS whilst on the move, frontier support would most likely want to avoid the flurry of support tickets from new (and old) Cmdrs complaining that the FSS is unusable at velocities higher than 30km/s.

I can just imagine the forum posts

'I can't scan bodies in a system, they are constantly moving'
Understood, so then offer/apply the kind of solution mentioned in the OP?

The solution makes zero sense. You are pointing your scanner at something, you can't point your scanner from a location 'it once may have been', that is just completely bizarre. And in a game where we have timers that last dozens of hours just to preserve 'immersion', how on earth would this fly? Dont get me wrong, I want a solution that allows me to do stuff in SC, but I dont think the immersion crowd would love this very much.

As for the people who keep saying 'sure it'll be harder but let us judge': You do understand you typically travel between 7500x and 15 million times faster in SC than the speed you currently use the FSS with? It wont be harder, the targets will be on screen less than a single frame as soon as you zoom in even once.

A static snapshot seems like a fair bit of work considering the FSS works on a live picture. I would like to see a solution though, who knows, maybe your idea is easy to implement. I'd definitely offer my support. Long SC trips are the perfect time to be scanning systems.

The solution makes zero sense. You are pointing your scanner at something, you can't point your scanner from a location 'it once may have been', that is just completely bizarre. And in a game where we have timers that last dozens of hours just to preserve 'immersion', how on earth would this fly? Dont get me wrong, I want a solution that allows me to do stuff in SC, but I dont think the immersion crowd would love this very much.

As for the people who keep saying 'sure it'll be harder but let us judge': You do understand you typically travel between 7500x and 15 million times faster in SC than the speed you currently use the FSS with? It wont be harder, the targets will be on screen less than a single frame as soon as you zoom in even once.
"Zero sense"? From a gameplay outcome POV or gameworld POV?

Would you agree that it would - if supercruising (fast) does screw up the mechanic - resolve the problem totally?

Secondly, how does it make "zero" sense? When you enter the FSS, your ship takes the sample/snap shot of data you then work with, and that's what you are analysing. And if you're really that worried about the "zoom in", that's done realtime (by simply zooming into the adjusted direction).... Done!

And if this approach means you can then happily fly to an object in the system in supercruise while still using the FSS, and Multicrew gets a tad more depth and meaning added to it? Isn't that good?

A static snapshot seems like a fair bit of work considering the FSS works on a live picture. I would like to see a solution though, who knows, maybe your idea is easy to implement. I'd definitely offer my support. Long SC trips are the perfect time to be scanning systems.
I suspect not. The FSS simply renders the system's objects from that location stored/specified when you entered the FSS.

If we consider the mini-game now, using CURRENT-X, CURRENT-Y and CURRENT-Z, it would use STORED-X, STORED-Y and STORED-Z, as set when you entered into the FSS from the CURRENT values.

It may not be that straight forward, but my programming spider sense isn't suggesting otherwise ;)

"Zero sense"? From a gameplay outcome POV or gameworld POV?

Gameworld POV

Secondly, how does it make "zero" sense? When you enter the FSS, your ship takes the sample/snap shot of data you then work with, and that's what you are analysing. And if you're really that worried about the "zoom in", that's done realtime (by simply zooming into the adjusted direction).... Done!

When you are pointing the scanner at something, you are collecting data. The ship's computer is analyzing the data. Your proposal means you assume data is already collected and you are merely telling the software which parts of data to analyze. But if the computer does the analysis, and already has all the data, you yourself are not really needed in the process. :p

All I really want to be able to do while moving is to look at the spectrum. If I see anything interesting then I can stop and scan.

Gameworld POV

When you are pointing the scanner at something, you are collecting data. The ship's computer is analyzing the data. Your proposal means you assume data is already collected and you are merely telling the software which parts of data to analyze. But if the computer does the analysis, and already has all the data, you yourself are not really needed in the process. :p
First, I'd suggest gameplay outcome always trumps game universe explanations? Especially when handwavium can pretty much explain away any game universe issue. So if the suggestion (on the OP) allows people to use the FSS while in Supercruise and means Multicrew gets a bit more purpose/depth? Isn't that the primary concern?

Anyway, as regards handwavium to explain away concerns? My previous suggestion sort of did do that?

ie:-
  • You enter the FSS and that collects a snap shot of data which is what you then view and work with within the FSS
  • If you "zoom in" or delve deeper into an object in the view, then that happens realtime, with the ships simply directing the scanner at that location from where you are now.
ie: The top level view given in the FSS is simply a representation of the data collected the moment you entered it. If you "zoom in" (to a feature) you get realtime results seemlessly shown of that object simply taken from where you are now in the system.

Ultimately, be it that you're stationary, or you set off in supercruise and then enter the FSS, the behaviour of the FSS would be identical... This means a great simple outcome from a gameplay POV, and is explainable easily with gameworld handwavium!

Problem?

First, I'd suggest gameplay outcome always trumps game universe explanations? [...]
Problem?

Well:

I disagree. Both are just as important as each other. Having good mechanics without good lore/story makes those mechanics feel pointless, no matter how good they are in a game like ED.

All I am saying is is that the last five years have made it abundantly clear that to many such handwavium is an absolute no-go. Not my stance, just saying that it is an issue that needs to be taken into consideration whether we like it or not.

So why is the limitation even in there then? Why don't FD just remove the zero throttle limitation to entering the FSS? Especially now we have the Supercruise Assistant?
Most likely answer?

Frontier thinks we’re idiots.

To be fair, there are quite a few players who, for whatever reason, seem to have their brains turned off while playing this game.

This became obvious as early as the Alpha, when some players were willing to add five minutes to their travel times by applying one simple, easy to remember rule in Supercruise, rather than learn how Supercruise actually works and take advantage of it. And then they complained about the side effects of their oversimplified actions.

The great Supercruise nerf (which “sped up” mindless flying while slowing down skillful flying), are the removal of the economic sim, are just two instances where Frontier had already started to “dumb down” the game, rather than allow players to fail, and then learn from that failure, and that trend started way back in Alpha.

Instead, we’re forced to look at an artifical limitation, and mourn the missed possibilities .

Yes, I want this with throttle control in FSS.
This will save some time. I can scan for HGEs in the system when approaching to station after completed mission in other system.
Or I can even scan for HGEs while turning around star before next jump.
I'm ready to accept any consequences (drop out before impact, fast moving signal source markers).

Most likely answer?

Frontier thinks we’re idiots.

To be fair, there are quite a few players who, for whatever reason, seem to have their brains turned off while playing this game.

This became obvious as early as the Alpha, when some players were willing to add five minutes to their travel times by applying one simple, easy to remember rule in Supercruise, rather than learn how Supercruise actually works and take advantage of it. And then they complained about the side effects of their oversimplified actions.

The great Supercruise nerf (which “sped up” mindless flying while slowing down skillful flying), are the removal of the economic sim, are just two instances where Frontier had already started to “dumb down” the game, rather than allow players to fail, and then learn from that failure, and that trend started way back in Alpha.

Instead, we’re forced to look at an artifical limitation, and mourn the missed possibilities .
I must admit, from the outset of the new exploration mechanics, not being able to consider, prioritise and use our "valuable" time such that we could work out we wish to travel to Object X, while then continuing to use the FSS to "discover" the rest of the system confused the heck out of me. ie: The FSS forcing you to sit still seemed a poor design choice!

Then, given more recently, FD introduced the Supercruise Assistant, not being able to tell your ship to fly you to Object X and put you in orbit, while you then use the FSS, just seems to compound this design choice.

Surely exploration needs more options, choices and ways to prioritise and use your time? So why can't I tell my Supercruise Assistant to fly to X while I then use the FSS? Or if using Multicrew, why can't the pilot fly around the system, while a crew member uses their valuable time in the FSS?

And if it's because the design has overlooked this and the FSS view is realtime, and this then means the mechanic is hard use, see if that can be altered so the view stays fixed/located as per the position your ship was at when you entered the FSS... Done...

It just confuses me... :(

I must admit, from the outset of the new exploration mechanics, not being able to consider, prioritise and use our "valuable" time such that we could work out we wish to travel to Object X, while then continuing to use the FSS to "discover" the rest of the system confused the heck out of me. ie: The FSS forcing you to sit still seemed a poor design choice!

Then, given more recently, FD introduced the Supercruise Assistant, not being able to tell your ship to fly you to Object X and put you in orbit, while you then use the FSS, just seems to compound this design choice.

Surely exploration needs more options, choices and ways to prioritise and use your time? So why can't I tell my Supercruise Assistant to fly to X while I then use the FSS? Or if using Multicrew, why can't the pilot fly around the system, while a crew member uses their valuable time in the FSS?

And if it's because the design has overlooked this and the FSS view is realtime, and this then means the mechanic is hard use, see if that can be altered so the view stays fixed/located as per the position your ship was at when you entered the FSS... Done...

It just confuses me... :(

Whatever your opinion of the FSS from a gameplay perspective (Hi Max :) ), the lack of flexibility in how it can be used (and the total lack of polish) indicates that insufficient time/resources were available and that testing it was limited to "This is how you're SUPPOSED to use it" rather than investigating how people might WANT to use it.

I hope that it continues to evolve and that FDev haven't simply crossed 'exploration' off their ToDo list.

Whatever your opinion of the FSS from a gameplay perspective (Hi Max :) ), the lack of flexibility in how it can be used (and the total lack of polish) indicates that insufficient time/resources were available and that testing it was limited to "This is how you're SUPPOSED to use it" rather than investigating how people might WANT to use it.

I hope that it continues to evolve and that FDev haven't simply crossed 'exploration' off their ToDo list.
Agreed, it does need to "evolve"... And the Supercruise Assistant is just shining a big bright spot light on the (unnecessary) limitation of forcing you to sit still while using it at the moment :)

Even more so now with the Supercruise Assistant being added to the game, is there any rumblings from FD that you'll be able to "explore" a system (using the FSS) while making good/wise use of your valuable time supercruising to a destination in a system?

No need. I make great use of the 1-2 minutes it takes to FSS a system already. It’s called “Fuel Scooping”.

I have managed to accidentally trick FSS on while accelerating a few times, probably because I have the tuning and throttle control bound to the same thing, and I can confirm that it isn't very easy to use. Despite the angular velocity of distant objects being practically nil, they keep running away while zoomed in.

This is really a shame because being able to scan uss's while moving would give the multi-crew something to do while in supercruise. It'd be nice if FDev figured out a way to make it work.

Agreed, it does need to "evolve"... And the Supercruise Assistant is just shining a big bright spot light on the (unnecessary) limitation of forcing you to sit still while using it at the moment :)

I suspect FD is taking a longer view, and is cooking up something else for people to do instead... ;)

I have managed to accidentally trick FSS on while accelerating a few times, probably because I have the tuning and throttle control bound to the same thing, and I can confirm that it isn't very easy to use. Despite the angular velocity of distant objects being practically nil, they keep running away while zoomed in.

This is really a shame because being able to scan uss's while moving would give the multi-crew something to do while in supercruise. It'd be nice if FDev figured out a way to make it work.
So a behaviour as per the OP where the FSS view is fixed as per an initial scan taken when entering the FSS, and you could then continue to work in the FSS just as if you were not moving in Supercruise, might be a way forwards?

I suspect FD is taking a longer view, and is cooking up something else for people to do instead... ;)
Maybe, but I doubt it...

Ultimately, forcing CMDRs to sit there stationary, for seemingly no good reason, was a poor design choice from the outset. Especially when Multicrew was already in the game. Especially when no doubt they knew the Supercruise Assistant was a possibility.

Last edited:
Not ideal, but it would work. Perhaps add an ability to take a new snapshot on command without having to exit and enter the FSS again to make it feel less crude.

Top Bottom