Steam Summer Sale 2019

Getting the Hidden Ones AC Origins DLC as well as Odyssey.
Considering to punish myself and give Hearts of Iron IV another go (I refunded it once for its intimidating complexity), though I will probably never have the time to properly learn it.

Also considering Witcher 3 because of the rave reviews, even though fantasy is rarely my thing.

That's it so far, two items out of four I will probably never use - but that's how Steam sales are. :)

Riposte. Once it unlocks it becomes quite a breeze.

Also, holding the weapon from one side and then switching side before striking. Basically, practice with the Captain and listen to his advice, then practice his advice :) The more you practice, the better both you and the character gets at any skill.

Also, several gang battles have different ways to be handled, some don't involve any battling at all. For instance, when taking carte of bandit camps. You can charge at them all, or you can wait for night and try to sneak kill the guard and kill the others while they wake up and try to get up, or you can sneak in and poison their food, or you could soften some up from distance with the bow, or any combination of these.... For sneak/stealth, use light and dark clothes, for brute force wear armor, etc. There's a lot of different approaches, and the game many times favors some subtlety over brute force.

Thing is people got used to the swarm of click-spam games, and this one is different, requires playing in a different way, click spamming leads to nowhere. Some will love it, others will hate it. I personally love it, it's one of the very few RPGs where combat is not just a repetitive chore that needs doing to progress the story.

For instance I love Witcher 3, one of my favorite games from all time, but the combat is not very good, it's just passable, most of the time it feels like just a chore (like the bazillionth gang of drowners or wolves, bears , bandits etc). Occasionally the combat feels good not because the actual fight is entertaining, but because story characters and stories and villains are so incredibly good, that you really want to fight and kill those characters and the combat satisfaction comes from killing those characters (like that Radovid who I dream't of killing since Witcher 2), not from the actual mechanics themselves. KCD on the other hand, every fight gives me satisfaction, and every downed foe feels like it was truly earned, from that very first road bandit on the way to bury the characters parents.

Also, holding the weapon from one side and then switching side before striking. Basically, practice with the Captain and listen to his advice, then practice his advice :) The more you practice, the better both you and the character gets at any skill.

Also, several gang battles have different ways to be handled, some don't involve any battling at all. For instance, when taking carte of bandit camps. You can charge at them all, or you can wait for night and try to sneak kill the guard and kill the others while they wake up and try to get up, or you can sneak in and poison their food, or you could soften some up from distance with the bow, or any combination of these.... For sneak/stealth, use light and dark clothes, for brute force wear armor, etc. There's a lot of different approaches, and the game many times favors some subtlety over brute force.

Thing is people got used to the swarm of click-spam games, and this one is different, requires playing in a different way, click spamming leads to nowhere. Some will love it, others will hate it. I personally love it, it's one of the very few RPGs where combat is not just a repetitive chore that needs doing to progress the story.

For instance I love Witcher 3, one of my favorite games from all time, but the combat is not very good, it's just passable, most of the time it feels like just a chore (like the bazillionth gang of drowners or wolves, bears , bandits etc). Occasionally the combat feels good not because the actual fight is entertaining, but because story characters and stories and villains are so incredibly good, that you really want to fight and kill those characters and the combat satisfaction comes from killing those characters (like that Radovid who I dream't of killing since Witcher 2), not from the actual mechanics themselves. KCD on the other hand, every fight gives me satisfaction, and every downed foe feels like it was truly earned, from that very first road bandit on the way to bury the characters parents.
Shield. Shield makes blocking so much easier. No need to angle to the right direction, just block. Normal block eats stamina. Perfect block doesnt, iirc. Blunt weapons are always good even on tough armour. And it sounds so satisfying. Did I mention my silly giggles when "thud"-noises occur?
Casual peasants like me activate the HUD crosshair for bow shooting. It's actually a dot but I can't be bothered without.

The tales of scrubbery also tell a tale of the amateur horse archer fighting off multiple enemies. You have options to make it easier. Might take a bit longer but you can do it. Training combat skills is best way, tho. Everything executes faster (imo the biggest "to hit" hurdle at the beginning) and does more damage. At a point enemies will rather turn tail and run when they see you, lol.

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Maybe I'll get myself Stellaris. It's been under my radar for quite some while now.

It's worth it, but man Paradox like to milk you with the DLCs.
Personally I adore the early game in Stellaris but always lose interest in the mid-game. Possible that 4x games are just not my cup of tea anymore I suppose. I played Master of Orion to death when I was a kid, but nowadays..... eh.

It's worth it, but man Paradox like to milk you with the DLCs.
Personally I adore the early game in Stellaris but always lose interest in the mid-game. Possible that 4x games are just not my cup of tea anymore I suppose. I played Master of Orion to death when I was a kid, but nowadays..... eh.
Same sentiment here. I got dozens of started PTs in Stellaris but never "finished" a single one. It's the micromanagement for me. One day I'll try smallest galaxy.

Top Bottom