Please reduce travel times in the bubble

Gravity wells can easily be avoided and you don't need orbital lines on to do that. With practice you can spot planets and other bodies without orbital lines and gives you something to do.

Although with orbital lines on it's fun doing orbital line surfing and orbital line weaving which can give you something to do. ;)

Frameshift jumps benefited from a visit to the engineers. Whenever I get a new ship I take it over to Felicity Farseer to get her to do something about the tedium of system jumps.

It would be great if there was an engineer who could do something about Supercruise. I'd rather be twiddling my thumbs for five minutes instead of ten.

I blame the weather. Its unseasonably warm in Euroland right now, and people are just hot and impatient... Not to mention that a supercruise journey of more than about 30 seconds leaves them sticking uncomfortably to the elephant butt leather of their command couch.

Not a pretty sight I can tell you.

OP, try No Man's Sky. You can travel instantly throughout multiple galaxies in that game. On the other hand, jumping and waiting in SC is to Elite Dangerous is a lot less frustrating than shuffling inventory slots is to No Man's Sky in my opinion. Also, the flight model in NMS is an abomination! Each game has it's quirks.

Last edited:
I blame the weather. Its unseasonably warm in Euroland right now, and people are just hot and impatient... Not to mention that a supercruise journey of more than about 30 seconds leaves them sticking uncomfortably to the elephant butt leather of their command couch.

Not a pretty sight I can tell you.
Whereas down here in the Southern hemisphere things are nice and cool, so we don't mind the terrible inconvenience of having to spend several minutes travelling from a star to a space station to get paid lots of credits 😂

OP, try No Man's Sky. You can travel instantly throughout multiple galaxies in that game. On the other hand, jumping and waiting in SC is to Elite Dangerous is a lot less frustrating than shuffling inventory slots is to No Man's Sky in my opinion. Also, the flight model in NMS is an abomination! Each game has it's quirks.
Heh heh, then he would have 2 games to complain about! Twice the whinging, oh joy!! 😃

I disagree. There are often signals you can check out that lead to loot: just look around your destination for those signals, it's really cool when you find some rare mats just floating amongst the pieces of some poor 's knackered ship. And if you like to smuggle sometimes there's illegal cargo floating out there too. And if you're carrying cargo you may get a visit from a pesky pirate, or if you're on a mission you may have some assassins trying to take you out (very likely if you stack elite missions). Supercruise can be really eventful sometimes.
Just did a go fetch mission: found several signal sources in the system I was purchasing the goods from, all of which ended in me picking up loot. I guess Frontier puts that stuff there for the "engineering's too grindy" crowd! I have no problem with that, I like loot! But it means I'm not just sitting there while the ship's in supercruise, I'm looking around for stuff, so I just don't get the "supercruise is boring" crowd. In fact I'm starting to think the "engineering's too grindy" crowd and the "supercruise is too boring crowd" are the same bloody crowd. Also known as the "my glass is half empty" crowd! 🤔

The problem might be related to the fact that Elite tries to be both a regular game with elements of various genres and also a simulation.
Super-cruise is essentially ED's version of the historic SETA mechanic for Elite that would not really work in a multiplayer environment for a variety of reasons.

Ultimately, the core of ED is the 1:1 representation of our galaxy and on the most part it retains the historic parts of the Elite series. It deviates in some places, but there are no realistic alternatives to the travel time factors without compromising what makes ED what it is (an Elite series product).

As has been pointed out, there are various "unidentified signals"/"identified signals" that generally pop-up when engaging in long super cruise journeys with at least some of the more interesting and valuable ones appearing only if you deviate from the main space lane routes. The SCA module provides a degree of automation to help minimise the need for pilot attentiveness during longer super-cruise journeys, but you do not have to fit it or use it if you find it makes things too uninteresting for you personally.

The generally slow pace of the game, not demanding full concentration all the time is one of the things I like about Elite. It might be improved if there were various non-urgent tasks to get on with in supercruise (although ironically it may be too fast from that, unless you're on the way to pick up your free Anaconda) but please, please don't speed it up!

But keep long travel times outside the bubble.

Its stopping me from playing.

For me, 10/20 mins staring at screen to get somewhere is ok if exploring new frontiers or the odd long range mission or something. Not ok for the majority of missions, mining, trade, bounty etc

I like long travel times. Scale, Scope, Time to think.
I like it when Elite feels like a space ship SIMULATOR.
I hate instant gratification. Boo to Fast Travel.

The generally slow pace of the game, not demanding full concentration all the time is one of the things I like about Elite. It might be improved if there were various non-urgent tasks to get on with in supercruise (although ironically it may be too fast from that, unless you're on the way to pick up your free Anaconda) but please, please don't speed it up!
I like long travel times. Scale, Scope, Time to think.
I like it when Elite feels like a space ship SIMULATOR.
I hate instant gratification. Boo to Fast Travel.

What about if the speeding up was optional?

IE any faster transit system that came with a significant risk of death if poorly executed could give you a damn good reason not to use it, balance the benefits across the board, and allow both playstyles.

I'm thinking primarily of my pitch for inter-system jumps to secondary stars, but it could work in theory for a bubble transit system too. (IE a classic 'drive down undulating tunnel to the destination node, which will be full of pirates awaiting your damaged, shuddering arrival' one ;))

Last edited:
"Doing nothing for long periods of time IS Elite!"

If nothing else, statements like this show how pathetic the situation really is.

"Projectile vomitting IS this restaurant!"

It is not pathetic to me at all. I like the it the way it is.
Sometimes a game simply is not your thing. That is perfectly fine.
You might enjoy something more fast paced and arkady perhaps.

Traveltimes have become considerably shorter over time.
I can remember that I felt that traveling from earth to Achenar was quite a trip. These days it feels like these two star systems are neighbours.
I do not wish the interstellar traveltime to become even worse (worse = shorter). It is good as it is.

I would not mind some improvements to Supercruise and I would love a limited option for in-system mini-jumps to some of the other stars in the same system.
FDev could introduce rules for that. I posted a long proposal about supercruise and mini jumps in some other thread.

Settle down somewhere and get to know a small region so you don't travel all across the bubble frequently. Pin the best recipe for each engineer so you don't have to go there often. Note that an engineer who can't G5 a module can still do its special effects.... Just a few strategy ideas.

I do that. Not exclusively, but I generally focus on a couple of pockets of activity. Every so often I'll visit a few select engineers to apply special effects to a ship where I've nailed down it's loadout, but generally I know how long it's going to take me to get somewhere and it's the distractions (locating mission specific goods etc) that take the time in a noticeable way rather than travel time, which is a known quantity.

Top Bottom