Please reduce travel times in the bubble

I hate long SC times as well (I've never done Hutton Orbital and likely never will), but I find there's enough variety so that I can avoid anything over maybe 3KLs for any almost activity I want to do. But yeah, I really wish they'd add some kind of in-system jump between stellar-mass bodies, if nothing else.

IIRC we disagree on a few things, but I totally agree with you here. Supercruise on average takes what, five minutes? Maybe 10 if your destination is a few thousand Ls away? It's a short break to do something else in my book. The only people I'd understand being mad about it is the VR crowd, who kinda have to do nothing for all that time.
As a VR user myself, I would disagree with that assertion.

As for average super-cruise times, I do not care to speculate about what they might be but I would guestimate 5k-10k Ls is probably the modal average for system sizes in general with 100k-300k Ls being next in the order of frequent occurrence and anything in excess of that being quite rare.

Seeing a lot of these kinds of threads lately, and I'm still new here and haven't read much of anything of these forums.

You know what I want? The game to completely play itself for me. How's that for a request. :rolleyes:

I'm out in the black and I think I'm going to stay there. :whistle:

Seeing a lot of these kinds of threads lately, and I'm still new here and haven't read much of anything of these forums.

You know what I want? The game to completely play itself for me. How's that for a request. :rolleyes:

I'm out in the black and I think I'm going to stay there. :whistle:
Poes Law applies to many of these threads just as it does your own post ;)

How would you propose to shorten in-system travel-time without also reducing to opportunity for hostile ships to attack?

I'd say around 80% of the gameplay (such as it is) is related to Supercruise in one way or another.
  • Reduce time at SC (doing nothing) by around I don't know ..25% of what it is now (but only do this in the bubble, only for station to station travel). This still gives opportunity for attacks.
  • Faster travel to stations in system also would be to 'station nav points' perhaps. More risky, but faster.
  • Pirates would have to find you more quickly, and maybe all jumps into a system should land at nav becon. Or maybe anchary systems don't have the faster travel.
  • Add gameplay for gravity wells. And for chasing someone in supercruise so it doesn't take forever.

Few ideas, I;m not a game designer. But I know 'super-cruise alt tab' is not gameplay.

I wonder if there's so much whining about boredom during flight on aircraft simulator forums.
Or truck simulator forums. Or train simulator forums.
Or sailing simulator forums, like Sailaway, where you can traverse the real sized oceans.

Hmmm... I doubt it.

From a purely personal point of view, having regularly played Flight Sims and Train sims for years and years, and recently having acquired a truck sim, IMO and with not a little credibility say that in those types of games/sims you can sight see while flying/driving to your goal. In a realistic sailing sim unless you turn on autopilot you're too darned busy sailing to get bored.

On the other hand: In ED there's not a whole lot of visual stimulation going on to relieve the boredom of flying a 100,000 LS to your destination.

That said: again - from my personal point of view, the lack of any kind of game provided stimulation while transiting to a station 100,000 LS away beats the livin' bejeezus out of the boredom derived from planet, ring and asteroid mining hands down! GAWD! I hate mining - gotta be done but MINING is the ultimate boredom generator in ED!

Want real boredom OP - try mining.

What I find is that the only time I can catch someone in Supercruise is either near the start or near the end of their journey. If I miss them at the start then I have to wait until they start decelerating before they come back into range of my interdictor.

The ability to engineer faster Supercruise speeds will get rid of that barren time in between.
Or make it longer if they engineer better than you.

Lestat

Banned
Super cruise I'm referring to.
I don't mind multiple jumps so much
Then You made it your own fault. We see 30 Missions. Some far some close. Instead of clicking and Accepting all Missions with OUT reading. Start reading them. Start Researching them before accepting them. This goes for anyone who complains about distance.

If it too far for you Dismiss the damn mission. Your problem would be solved. We have 65,000 stations. 90% of them are suited to players who don't want to travel long distance. Only 10% suited for players who love long distance.

How would you propose to shorten in-system travel-time without also reducing to opportunity for hostile ships to attack?

I'd say around 80% of the gameplay (such as it is) is related to Supercruise in one way or another.

I could see this done by changing the “trade routes”. If orbit lines are on, these should be visible, and if one stays in the lane then they get a buff to SC acceleration.

Pirates/attackers benefit because they have a set spot to look for a score. Taking a longer less trafficked route may be safer. Could create fun dynamics

I could see this done by changing the “trade routes”. If orbit lines are on, these should be visible, and if one stays in the lane then they get a buff to SC acceleration.

Pirates/attackers benefit because they have a set spot to look for a score. Taking a longer less trafficked route may be safer. Could create fun dynamics

That might not be a bad idea.

Create some kind of C1 "Advanced Nav-Computer" module which provides a HUD-overlay of all the optimal travel-paths in a system, avoiding gravity-wells and providing extra speed if you follow them (and, perhaps, offers additional functionality such as surface navigation?) and then let people decide whether it's worth fitting a module to speed-up travel, knowing that if you're using it to optimise travel, a pirate can also use the same tool to figure out where their targets are likely to be.

Course, the only issue might be whether or not the game's actually capable of figuring out what the optimal paths would be.
Presumably, though, the NPCs are programmed to follow some kind of optimised paths.
Maybe the same paths NPCs use could be what's displayed and made into the "motorways" through systems for everybody?

The only people I'd understand being mad about it is the VR crowd, who kinda have to do nothing for all that time.

Up to ten minutes is fine for me in VR, I use the time to plan routes or similar (i.e. browse the galaxy or system map to work out what I'm doing next). Longer than that and I'll probably park the headset and do something else - but that's sometimes risky. On long supercruise journeys it's usually ok, though.

Or make it longer if they engineer better than you.

I doubt any pilot who enjoys the thrill of catching other pilots would not have the best Supercruise possible, so engineering Supercruise speeds is a win-win-win situation. It reduces the tedium of travel time for those that just want to get someplace. It will increase the chances of catching cargo ships for pirates. And it can be ignored by those players who love to crawl through space at a time-consuming pace. An added bonus for those who think there's plenty to do in Supercruise is that they'll have even more to do as they have to dodge more interdictions.

Lestat

Banned
I doubt any pilot who enjoys the thrill of catching other pilots would not have the best Supercruise possible, so engineering Supercruise speeds is a win-win-win situation. It reduces the tedium of travel time for those that just want to get someplace. It will increase the chances of catching cargo ships for pirates. And it can be ignored by those players who love to crawl through space at a time-consuming pace. An added bonus for those who think there's plenty to do in Supercruise is that they'll have even more to do as they have to dodge more interdictions.
I think it a bad idea. Right now even new players can go after any ship. If you adjust by engineering for supercruise. It caters to PvPers. So no.

Depending on how I feel on day I play depends on how far I travel in supercruise and how I accept the mission. If I feel carefree with no regard to distance. I choose to accept all missions with no research. Ignoring the fact some could be 15 Minutes. But if I want the shorter missions. I start using other features of the game namely on the Mission board. like the Galaxy Map and System Map before accepting a mission. If I feel the distance is too far. I look at the other missions.

I can't see why people can't do this?

I'm sorry, but as soon as you mention that they took feedback from backers, it is about crowd funding. The information I removed was related to what they asked the backers, and is as such besides the point.

FD still take feedback from players now. I am stating that the supercruise mechanic has nothing to do with crowd-funding. It was a mechanic designed by FD, and FD have always had control of the game. This was always made clear to the backers - but that doesn't mean that FD won't discuss aspects of the game with both backers and players. All crowd funding did for E: D was allow FD to make it.

But keep long travel times outside the bubble.

Its stopping me from playing.

For me, 10/20 mins staring at screen to get somewhere is ok if exploring new frontiers or the odd long range mission or something. Not ok for the majority of missions, mining, trade, bounty etc
I just dropped into a system to do some trading. Headed to the nearest station to sell my goods, but did my usual thing: looked around for interesting signals. Found some weapon fire, threat level 4. I'm a bit overconfident now 'cos my annie's got some engineering, so I am up for a challenge. I drop out of supercruise, 3 or more ships there, 2 of which head in ny direction, scanning. I scan them: uh oh, 2 annies! I had to run!

Back in supercruise: another signal, threat level 2 this time. I drop in to have a look, just 1 alliance challenger this time. I don't bother, go back to supercruise, 1 minute later I'm outside the station, wondering why I didn't take on the challenger, I am sure I could have destroyed that ship, maybe still a bit rattled from the 1st encounter? Anyhoo, sell my goods for a half mill profit and I'm off again.

So, I'm still not sure why others are finding supercruise boring, they could make it interesting if they wanted to. Is checking out signals just too much effort for some?

Top Bottom