Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I used to love travelling long distances while checking out interesting dj sets. Then I would fly to cool looking planets and scan them in case there was something interesting around them. What is "real exploration" really makes no difference at all here. There is very little "navigation gameplay" anyway, it's all optional. Now this clicking on white rings minigame gives me a headache after 15 minutes, and then arises questions of what sort of fool they think I am to do this for more than 15 minutes, and do they just recycle same stuff by adding a boring timesink. There is no "get good" in clicking those white rings, they are just white rings, it's not like it was a pair railguns on a Federal Assault Ship. It's not that I was against interesting and more timeconsuming mechanics necessarily, I have spent hours dropping into normal space, turning off modules and turning up volume, and just listening, it's kind of reminiscent of what FSS is.

They should make a better system, add something intelligent to it, and fun. I think the reason discussions about these sort of things are so weird is because the game is so niche already, it's not like the game was going to die because they messed it up, because it kind of already is. Then you have just a bunch of old fans discussing about stuff and there is very little perspective.

I used to love travelling long distances while checking out interesting dj sets. Then I would fly to cool looking planets and scan them in case there was something interesting around them. What is "real exploration" really makes no difference at all here. There is very little "navigation gameplay" anyway, it's all optional. Now this clicking on white rings minigame gives me a headache after 15 minutes, and then arises questions of what sort of fool they think I am to do this for more than 15 minutes, and do they just recycle same stuff by adding a boring timesink. There is no "get good" in clicking those white rings, they are just white rings, it's not like it was a pair railguns on a Federal Assault Ship. It's not that I was against interesting and more timeconsuming mechanics necessarily, I have spent hours dropping into normal space, turning off modules and turning up volume, and just listening, it's kind of reminiscent of what FSS is.

They should make a better system, add something intelligent to it, and fun. I think the reason discussions about these sort of things are so weird is because the game is so niche already, it's not like the game was going to die because they messed it up, because it kind of already is. Then you have just a bunch of old fans discussing about stuff and there is very little perspective.
The FSS does lack any real skill requirements and IMO anyone that thinks the blob-hunt game requires any skill is essentially deluding themselves. Overall though, that is pretty besides the point. The whole idea of exploration needing to have skill based activities or more interaction is on the most part a ridiculous proposition - all that does is add grind where none is arguably necessary or justifiable.

There were many ideas proposed during pre-3.3-beta discussions but ultimately FD opted to add a poorly implemented ship-based radio telescope emulator which practically flies in the face of the gist of what all but the anti-honk crowd were looking for.

I do not think it is likely that FD will ever completely dump the FSS, so the best we can hope for is they take on board the critique that has been targeted at it both during the Beta and since release in order to address the clear deficiencies in what they have implemented. Either that, or they relent and bring back something akin to the ADS (preferably both).

Last edited:
FSS is awesome exactly as is. It seems realistic and adds many conveniences to the game, like spotting USS at range or finding just what you want, like biological signals.

Hello Commanders,

I wanted to drop in and let you that we have been reading your comments and are aware how some of you feel about the FSS.

When first designing the FSS, we wanted to ensure that it was engaging for as many different player types as possible, but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone. Before the FSS was implemented, we also collected feedback from discussions on the forum and the beta.

Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now.

At the current time, we won’t be making changes to the core of the FSS. While we understand that this may be disappointing for some of you, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us.
How about making FSS part of the ships UI instead of floating in space with big screen in front of you?
It supposed to be first person space ship game where you manage ingame mehanics from cockpit not some OBE (out of body experience), it's 2019 and popup screen minigames are not in trend anymore!

How about making FSS part of the ships UI instead of floating in space with big screen in front of you?
It supposed to be first person space ship game where you manage ingame mehanics from cockpit not some OBE (out of body experience), it's 2019 and popup screen minigames are not in trend anymore!
Unless of course at some point in the future we have to walk to a viewer(like what Spock does)to use the FSS.

lol - just look at any of Will's DW2 streams, he was there scanning & jumping happily. Maybe the OP should make a video showing himself having a miserable time, and we can check his technique ;)

Honestly, I suspect the main qualification for any FDev "public-facing" job is the ability to look like you're happy regardless of what you're doing in-game.

Personally, I'd prefer a bit more honesty and a bit more bias toward the players' experience from people who're supposed to be in community liason positions.
I'd like to see people like Will noting bugs and commenting on things they find tedious or unintuitive, asking about those things on behalf of the players and then reporting back with the responses they get.

Thing is, ED is fundamentally an incredible game and we all love it so I don't think it'd damage the game if FDev rep's were willing to voice criticisms of things that they don't like or flat-out don't work properly.

I'd prefer that but I don't expect it and I'm realistic enough to know that's not how businesses operate.

Honestly, I suspect the main qualification for any FDev "public-facing" job is the ability to look like you're happy regardless of what you're doing in-game.

That might be true. At the same time i dare to say that those streams more often than not showed Will and others to be of "medium at best" qualification on the game. There's plenty of vaguely or not known things, plenty of routines any really active player does much better than them, etc. Which is oki, their job is to build and promote the game, not to play it.

But based on this you can see that a rather casual player can get a grip on the FSS and make reasonably good use of it. (We could make a list of things for him to be more efficient. But that's not the point. )

That might be true. At the same time i dare to say that those streams more often than not showed Will and others to be of "medium at best" qualification on the game. There's plenty of vaguely or not known things, plenty of routines any really active player does much better than them, etc. Which is oki, their job is to build and promote the game, not to play it.

Kind of a different topic but I've been saying for years that FDev should revise their set-up slightly by having their own "Pilot-Stig" to fly the ships so that the presenters could concentrate on interviewing guests and discussing the stuff their pilot is demonstrating in-game.

Main point is, however, that I doubt many people consider FDev's "Community Managers" as much more than a mouthpiece for FDev's publicity department.
It'd be nice to see that evolve so they became actual liasons, responsible for advocating on behalf of the players to the company as well as vice-versa.

I noticed a little while ago, for example, that somebody was flying a Mamba in one of the live-streams.
They switched to the external camera and the landing-gear was still showing as deployed.
If a million people have watched that video, that's probably nearly a million people who're wondering why this hasn't been fixed yet.
It might've been nice if, on behalf of those million people, Will had asked Adam W about it.

While I do not recall which series or episode this was addressed in, nearly verbatim, this was addressed quite excellently in Star Trek, when this exact issue was brought up - why does Star Fleet send out ships full of people when they could just send out fleets of probes? The answer is The Human Experience.

It's taken me a while to happen upon this little nugget. It is from Star Trek: Voyager, Season 6, Episode 8: One Small Step. Captain Janeway was speaking to Seven of Nine, regarding a Graviton Ellipse they wanted to investigate and said:

"I can't argue with that. If scientific knowledge was all we were after, then the Federation would have built a fleet of probes, not starships. Exploration is about seeing things with your own eyes."

"I can't argue with that. If scientific knowledge was all we were after, then the Federation would have built a fleet of probes, not starships. Exploration is about seeing things with your own eyes."

That's exactly it. In our digital computer screen pretend, a not detailed pretend computer screen experience, looking at a hazy image surrounded by blue doesn't work, where looking at a live rendering based on your approach surrounded by the star field does.

That quote also hammers home stupid the idea of "playing" the system map is. Its a map.. there's nothing there except what it is and its heading (once you select it).

Its still shocking how some individuals in the past could with vitriol argue that exploration is contained in the map, and frontier actually bought it. They didn't have the experience or preference either way, obviously.

That's exactly it. In our digital computer screen pretend, a not detailed pretend computer screen experience, looking at a hazy image surrounded by blue doesn't work, where looking at a live rendering based on your approach surrounded by the star field does.

That quote also hammers home stupid the idea of "playing" the system map is. Its a map.. there's nothing there except what it is and its heading (once you select it).

Its still shocking how some individuals in the past could with vitriol argue that exploration is contained in the map, and frontier actually bought it. They didn't have the experience or preference either way, obviously.

Really not sure which side of the fence you're on here, and not looking to pick at old wounds either, though I will be quick to point out that a visual sighting of pretty much any anomaly in Star Trek is followed almost immediately by orders to "scan it.", "launch a probe", or some other interaction with the technology of the ship - and point out that most encounters with an anomaly usually being with "Captain, I'm getting some unusual sensor readings..." right before the order "On Screen" is given.

So while I do agree with Janeway completely, I also have to point out that "eyes alone" are not enough to gather knowledge.

Really not sure which side of the fence you're on here, and not looking to pick at old wounds either, though I will be quick to point out that a visual sighting of pretty much any anomaly in Star Trek is followed almost immediately by orders to "scan it.", "launch a probe", or some other interaction with the technology of the ship - and point out that most encounters with an anomaly usually being with "Captain, I'm getting some unusual sensor readings..." right before the order "On Screen" is given.

So while I do agree with Janeway completely, I also have to point out that "eyes alone" are not enough to gather knowledge.

If only using the fuss was that deterministic. The tv scenario you describe sounds great. We have a honk, some tick reading (which is workable), but then there's completely random panning involved, 100% trial and error and random sampling of objects in proximity, before we can see the intention through.

The fact that the fuss knows enough to detail the arrows means it knows where the objects are anyway, its just not telling so we can fidget around a bit.

The old system was a much better approximation deciding discovering and engaging. Find what you want, decide you want to scan it, fly over and do your business.

Sides don't matter at this point. Its more just making ourselves feel better :) As its been from weeks before the beta even launched.. but that's another bone.

If only using the fuss was that deterministic. The tv scenario you describe sounds great. We have a honk, some tick reading (which is workable), but then there's completely random panning involved, 100% trial and error and random sampling of objects in proximity, before we can see the intention through.
Nothing random about the panning.

The fact that the fuss knows enough to detail the arrows means it knows where the objects are anyway, its just not telling so we can fidget around a bit.
It is a game that requires gameplay. It doesn't tell you, so you can find them yourself instead of doing it for you. The same reason why we pilot our ships. The AI in the game can do it for us and even do combat, but we do it ourselves so there is gameplay. It's not a difficult concept to work out.

The old system was a much better approximation deciding discovering and engaging. Find what you want, decide you want to scan it, fly over and do your business.
Or you can have it the old way which provided zero gameplay in discovering every object in the system.

Sides don't matter at this point. Its more just making ourselves feel better :) As its been from weeks before the beta even launched.. but that's another bone.
Only you can make yourself feel better.

Don't use it then? Do the honk which gives you exactly the same information as the old ADS. Ignore FSS & then look at System Map and fly to the planet you're interested in? Where's the issue, nothing about the FSS stops you doing that, in fact you don't even have to honk, you can just fly around and find stuff by sight or whatever.

Am I missing something, what is the actual problem?

Don't use it then? Do the honk which gives you exactly the same information as the old ADS. Ignore FSS & then look at System Map and fly to the planet you're interested in? Where's the issue, nothing about the FSS stops you doing that, in fact you don't even have to honk, you can just fly around and find stuff by sight or whatever.

Only if it in a previously disovered system can you do that. If it is a virgin system, then nothing shows up in the system map and Nav panel.

Guessing you only play in the bubble.

The honk does not populate the navpanel or system map in systems outside of the bubble. One of the compromises repeatedly asked for during the FSS beta was for the honk to populate the navpanel with unknown bodies that players could target and move to in order to scan, since the locations are already known to the FSS from the honk.

Yeah sadly you'll only notice the problems.. when you go exploring proper.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom