Please reconsider fleet carriers for solo players.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
CQC i didn't think about as its pretty much a seperate game. I'm sure powerplay has a reasonable amount of people interacting with it, but it could be so much better. Hey ho.
it was still a main expansion tho....... I must admit i love CQC, i just wish there was more to it. i have no idea of the work involved as a non dev but it doesnt "feel" like it should be that much work to use existing assets to create a few new maps.

Nobody is "denied access". Everyone can compete. But in competition, you can't just give everyone the prize otherwise there'd be no competition.

How intolerant and narrow-minded. It’s 2019. Don’t you realize that competition is outdated, and damaging to our little snowflakes. No one bothered to ask any of these children if they wanted to be conceived in the first place, and since they were created without their express written consent they are OWED everything.

Sheesh, get with the times.

[/satire]

it was still a main expansion tho....... I must admit i love CQC, i just wish there was more to it. i have no idea of the work involved as a non dev but it doesnt "feel" like it should be that much work to use existing assets to create a few new maps.
I liked CQC for a bit, but it never went anywhere. Shame really.

I am pretty sure that Frontier isn't referring to car collectors when they say fleet though. There are several definitions of the term and I'd say we go with the one that is most likely.

That's a fleet:
800px-Fleet_5_nations.jpg

And that's a fleet as well:
920x920.jpg

But they aren't the same thing. Why does a German guy always need to explain your language (even though he admittedly sucks at it)? :)

I think it's just as likely it's a car trailer as it is an aircraft carrier. From what we see in the video, for starters it doesn't look like a combat ship. Even if it is, we see several what look like large landing pads. Those aircraft carriers spit out tiny little short range fighters, not the cruisers and destroyers surrounding them. That's what the fleet ships will be doing though.

I dunno if they'll have fsd range like mega ships, because that would defeat the purpose of megaships. I'm pretty sure it's going to be long though. You're not gonna get a bunch of people to sit through a bunch of jumps. They'd just want to use their own ships. Uses for this thing that come to mind are home-base for a squadron, extra mobility, and area denial/control.

Right now, it's luck if a squadron has a decent station to keep their ships at. Between outfitting, engineering, and just the various dispersed nature of everything then combined with long soul-crushing travel gameplay, it's unlikely people will have their ships in one spot. Whenever they want to do anything with them it usually means travel. Trying to get a decent station to get around that means BGS and BGS can be good, decent, or completely suck. I think priority number 1 for these ships is to be Squadron HQ. Their outfitting might be a case of "as good as you make it".

Secondly, I think these ships will be mobility bursts for squadrons. Right now, it's easy to have a very wide range of capabilities between squadron members because of mat farm and j key. If a squadron gets a ship that jumps a good long distance, maybe squadron mat farm/engineering blasts become a thing. Which maybe Frontier hopes makes mat farm less horrible, and provides a small workaround for the problem of needing to take an un-engineered ship to a g5 pvp hellhole to get it engineered.

It could be that these ships are being envisioned as attack platforms. If they are, I don't think that it will be all that offensively capable itself. A ship that spits out Cutters and Corvettes breaks all balance logic if it then also blows up stuff by itself. I think it will probably be very hard to kill, because it's not a normal ship and we don't know how that will fit into the rebuy thing. But I won't

actually nevermind, I went back through the thread and I see this was a discussion that arose purely from nitpicking language ambiguity

I think it's just as likely it's a car trailer as it is an aircraft carrier. From what we see in the video, for starters it doesn't look like a combat ship. Even if it is, we see several what look like large landing pads. Those aircraft carriers spit out tiny little short range fighters, not the cruisers and destroyers surrounding them. That's what the fleet ships will be doing though.
Considering that Fleet Carriers are meant for Squadrons in the currently last known planned implementation it's certainly more like an aircraft carrier than your personal car trailer.

In case you missed it, just a short recap of the discussion:

A: 'Fleet Carriers should be balanced around Solo players because they have fleets as well.'
B: 'They are more like car collections than fleets.'
A: 'But the term fleet is used for car collections as well.'
B: 'But that's probably not what Frontier meant when they called them Fleet Carriers.'

Last edited:
Considering that Fleet Carriers are meant for Squadrons in the currently planned implementation it's certainly more like an aircraft carrier than your personal car trailer.

In case you missed it, just a short recap of the discussion:

A: 'Fleet Carriers should be balanced around Solo players because they have fleets as well.'
B: 'They are more like car collections than fleets.'
A: 'But the term fleet is used for car collections as well.'
B: 'But that's probably not what Frontier meant when they called them Fleet Carriers.'

How do you know the currently planned implementation? :p

All we really know is that they are planned for December 2019.

In short.... "Because I want to..."
Nevermind if it was meant for a different purpose or target audience.
Sure.

But consider that the game has no story mode. The game play is player driven, emergent, so to give the players all and many tools to come up with their own trail to blaze (blaze your own trail, was the slogan once for this game) should be encouraged. The whole Elite game play is based on "Because I want to..." That's how open world and sandbox games are played.

How do you know the currently planned implementation? :p

All we really know is that they are planned for December 2019.
So far Fleet Carriers have only been mentioned in regards to Squadrons:

The Fleet Carrier

As you might have noticed above, it will be possible for Squadrons to possess a Fleet Carrier. We will be devoting an entire Focused Feedback thread to Squadron Fleet Carriers, so please refrain from discussing it at this time.

PS
They also said it's likely that they will require a minimum amount of players, which probably means squadrons:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4T20enqOk&feature=youtu.be&t=1985

It might be that they get rid of the minimum player requirement but it probably still will be managed via the Squadron UI.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom