The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Regarding fleet carriers in ED, not sure what you mean by meaningful. I just want a place i can park my fleet and move from system to system in. Not sure whether that is meaningful or not, but its what I want. I would want the same from carriers in SC as well.
+1. Was talking on Reddit with some disgruntled Elite fans and the amount of the theory-craft-hyping is insane. They are even able to admit that when multicrew came, they expected walking from it, including EVAs, instead of just, you know... playing together in a single ship.

In this regard I think SC is hurting Elite a little, since it shows that it's "possible" - the people simply look at the feature alone and ignore the rest, including how much work or time it takes to develop it properly (like, with functional door).

Yeah maybe in the more fanatical or emotional fans. Personally I find there's lots to criticize about SC but there is also lots to criticize about Elite, or EVE or NMS etc.

It seems to me that the guy is lashing out like a little baby as much as anything :)
Because someone is criticizing SC he has to attack "their" game. Much like if someone was wearing a Man.U shirt and said that Liverpool played a crap game, the Liverpool fan just blindly attacks Man.U's performance 12 months ago instead of coming up with examples of where Liverpool did play well.
I already dislike Liverpool now.

7 years in, and doors continue to challenge the skills of the devs

It's so bad! It should be quite a concern because if this is the trouble they continue to have with the zoning system on a single server, what's going to happen when they add server meshing to the mix?
You're flying along minding your own business, the server wants to switch you srv-001 to srv-002 as you move from quadrant A to quadrant B and all of a sudden you find yourself flung out to Mars at half the speed of light along with some of your cargo merged into your body while your ship is flapping around in some weird death throes back at the boundary.

On the SC sub i actually had one backer tell me that by being critical of SC i was personally attacking them. Seriously, literally those words. That is a clear indication that some people are waaaaay too invested.

And as always you keep implicitly pretending that is somehow unique to SC. It is not. Pick a famous contemporary musician, actor, anime series, guitar brand, sports team, religion, political ideology or literally anything sufficient people are passionate about and you'll find constantly and incessantly bashing it for years on end will lead to some people giving rather personal responses. Is it a bit odd to associate so strongly with something that attacking the thing feels like attacking the person? No, that is how human identity simply works.

And even if you think that is bizarre, I don't think how it could possibly be any more bizarre than registering at multiple forums, some paid-for, solely to craptalk for years on end a game in development. Or more bizarre than literally saying you wish a project many people are passionate about fails miserably because some random strangers told you 'you dont understand game development' many years ago. But as usual obsessed fanatics have difficulty spotting in themselves what they spend years pointing out in others.

Personally I'd rather be obsessed about something I like than something I don't like, but that is anyone's own choice to make. :)

Correction :)

There has only been a single expansion released, Horizons.
Eh, potato potata. Horizons was basically a bundle of expansions during several years so i would rather call Horizons the multi-year season pass.

I mean, sure not in a specific orders but the below can definitely be dubbed "expansions" of the game.

• Powerplay
  • Engineers
  • Planetary landings
  • Commanders
  • The Guardians
  • The Return (Thargoids)

They were not exactly minor patches.

And as always you keep implicitly pretending that is somehow unique to SC. It is not. Pick a famous contemporary musician, actor, anime series, guitar brand, sports team, religion, political ideology or literally anything sufficient people are passionate about and you'll find constantly and incessantly bashing it for years on end will lead to some people giving rather personal responses. Is it a bit odd to associate so strongly with something that attacking the thing feels like attacking the person? No, that is how human identity simply works.

And even if you think that is bizarre, I don't think how it could possibly be any more bizarre than registering at multiple forums, some paid-for, solely to craptalk for years on end a game in development. Or more bizarre than literally saying you wish a project many people are passionate about fails miserably because some random strangers told you 'you dont understand game development' many years ago. But as usual obsessed fanatics have difficulty spotting in themselves what they spend years pointing out in others.

Personally I'd rather be obsessed about something I like than something I don't like, but that is anyone's own choice to make. :)
I hope you'll never become obsessed with poop.

Correction :)

There has only been a single expansion released, Horizons.
Horizons is a season. Technically every major patch is an expansion, as it adds new content ("expands" the game until that point), which would mean 14 expansions in base, Horizons, Beyond and current "season". The price doesn't play any role in this, expansions can be free.

Can't talk about others, but for myself, I am talking (wouldn't say obsessed, but I enjoy it) about something I like. I like seeing failed game development projects, because you can learn from those better than from the successful ones.

Also Schadenfreude (also known as trainwreck in modern English sphere)

But still, I am mostly having fun. I couldn't even care less about Citizens and them being angry, they just come along with failed project =w=

Horizons is a season. Technically every major patch is an expansion, as it adds new content ("expands" the game until that point), which would mean 14 expansions in base, Horizons, Beyond and current "season". The price doesn't play any role in this, expansions can be free.

I disagree, an expansion is far more than the content of quarterly patches. Take World of Warcraft or FFXIV where they get regular patches for expansions, some are quite meaty but no one ever calls them individual expansions, those are the things that come every couple of years.

I disagree, an expansion is far more than the content of quarterly patches. Take World of Warcraft or FFXIV where they get regular patches for expansions, some are quite meaty but no one ever calls them individual expansions, those are the things that come every couple of years.
And on the contrary, The Sims had expansion packs which contained less than Elite updates and yet people called them Expansions, along with some other genres (sports games expansions being a naming and stats update, for example). It's mostly about the marketing and perception in this field, really and in the end you could go either way. The only thing I'd argue would be that either there's no expansion or every big content update is an expansion. Buying Horizons doesn't really add that much comparatively to base, in my opinion.

There is only one separate, purchasable expansion. All the interim patches, no matter how meaty they are, are content for the base game and/or the current expansion, they are not individual "expansions" in and of themselves. If Frontier were selling them individually then I would have no disagreement.

And even if you think that is bizarre, I don't think how it could possibly be any more bizarre than registering at multiple forums, some paid-for, solely to craptalk for years on end a game in development.

I find that weird too, but it was so widespread and accepted on FDev forums I accustomed to it.

Oh, i absoloutely agree with you. I'm sure there are even some ED fans who are like this as well.

Every brand has its nutjobs ;)

Now, onto your second paragraph, you're badly representing things if you are talking about me. I have a FD forum account because I play ED. Thanks to this thread I also get to poke fun at SC. I have a reddit account also because of ED. Until ED i was just a browser of reddit. However, reddit comes with its SC related subs as well, so i get to participate in them. Now, onto the SA forums and the only reason i got a SA account was because i'd been lurking reading on and off the SC thread, and it was annoying when lowtax periodically put up the paywall, so I gave in and paid the lowtax tax of a whole $10. It did come with the added benefit of being able to post there!

So, if you are talking about me, you are badly representing things as me signing up for forums to poke fun at SC, where its more i'm already signed up, so the poking fun is just an added bonus!

There is only one separate, purchasable expansion. All the interim patches, no matter how meaty they are, are content for the base game and/or the current expansion, they are not individual "expansions" in and of themselves. If Frontier were selling them individually then I would have no disagreement.
So the updates don't expand the universe or possibilities?

Again, the term expansion is not connected to being paid in any way. If you actually mean "paid expansion" (notice how expansion needs a specific word to indicate it is paid), then okay, there's only one, but that was not the subject of the talk you mentioned in your initial quote.

Well, at least he is laughing and getting some fun out of it.

Maybe CIG should introduce more bugs to provide many more hours of laughs and japes!

Goat Simulator: Waste of Space already beat CI to the punch in that regard (though to be fair, that team used Unreal as their engine of choice).

Now, onto your second paragraph, you're badly representing things if you are talking about me.

My bad, lets find out where I went wrong!

I have a reddit account also because of ED. Until ED i was just a browser of reddit. However, reddit comes with its SC related subs as well, so i get to participate in them.

Lol. I only entered that brothel because there is a bakery in that street. But since there was a brothel as well, I get to participate in that too. Nothing to do with me or what I want to do, just how the street happened to be. I mean, its not like there are a million different subs on reddit and I chose voluntarily where to post. Nope, when there is a sub I just happen to participate in it.

Now, onto the SA forums and the only reason i got a SA account was because i'd been lurking reading on and off the SC thread, and it was annoying when lowtax periodically put up the paywall, so I gave in and paid the lowtax tax of a whole $10. It did come with the added benefit of being able to post there!

Ah, I see. You didn't pay to get access to a closed forum to craptalk SC, you merely paid to get access to a closed forum with the added benefit of craptalking SC. Man, did I get that one wrong too! :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I don't care if someone is weird and obsessed like this or not. The annoying thing is how some constantly talk crap about other communities by finding odd people in them, ridiculing them behind their back and pretending they represent anyone else. If you want to point fingers at random internet strangers and slap each other on the back about how much you are totally not a weird person yourself just do so on SA. Or grow a spine and talk to these people directly on the forums they post on.

Then people who are interested in the development of the game itself can do so here.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom