Does anyone actually enjoy engineering?

Unfortunately there is not much 'game' so they made engineering the 'game'
No one enjoys it but it's the best we've got at the moment
but the new era will no doubt bring amazing stuff

Engineering isn't fun and engaging gameplay. It is a grind. That's how the game punishes you for not being strategic about things.

To be strategic and avoid some of the engineering grind, get a solid set of pinned blueprints from your favourite engineers. No longer do you need to visit them in person to perform your favourite modifications.

Unlock Guardian modules like the power plant, shield, module and hull reinforcements, as well as power distributor. They are equivalent to some engineering on stock modules. Also there is no stock module available that can do what the shield reinforcement does.

Engineer some things up to grade 3. You get a lot of the benefits and it doesn't require the most exotic materials.

This is not to say that engineering is fun. It is just to make it a bit more tolerable and get it out of the way for the most part.

You'll still need to visit engineers for experimental effects.
Some of us actually enjoy engineering. While you are making grand and sweeping statements please try to remember that not everyone thinks the same as you. Different strokes and all that.....

If there was more to do and engineering was a 'side thing' it might be ok
but it's the main focus and it's gently caressing dull as ditch water and you know it
Actually, I played the 1st 6 months without Horizons and had a great time without engineering. Why do you say engineering's the main thing in this game? I thought the main thing was mining, or missions, or trading, or bounty hunting, or exploration......!!

Don't agree that there should be tons of places like Dav's Hope. There's already tons of mats everywhere, why do you need more? Sounds too much like easy mode to me. Some of us like a tiny bit of challenge in our games, take that away and there's no reason to play anymore.

Hey mate dont get me wrong. I like challenge! Im actually against of recent updates which made credits too easy to earn(hello Void Opals). I dont mind gathering materials to be hard. What I wanted to say is we need more variety in gameplay. Some CMDR's feel forced to do Davs Hope/relog thing.

I actually dont have any problems gathering materials. Especially when material traders were introduced. I like the concept of engineers. Its just there's a potential to make various existing sources to get materials more interesting. Just like lot of things to be honest(Hello missions...). Ok maybe one thing is irritating me. I dont like destroying transport ships to get mats ;/

Unfortunately there is not much 'game' so they made engineering the 'game'
No one enjoys it but it's the best we've got at the moment
but the new era will no doubt bring amazing stuff
Another grand and sweeping statement, somehow assuming that everyone thinks and feels the same way you do! I enjoy engineering my ships,.so how about making a correct statement i.e. "Someone enjoys it"! Unless of course you wanna be a politician when u grow up, in which case you can say whatever you want, politicians never let facts get in the way of spinning a yarn that supports their agendas!

Last edited:
People who don't like the game don't bother complaining. They find another game. The people who complain are the ones who like the game but are maddened by it's flaws and design choices. I like ED but I despise some of the choices made by the devs. I want the game to be better, more logical, more intuitive, more exciting and less routine, just to name a few things. Engineering is about the least exciting thing horizons brought us.

dxm55

Banned
Materials collecting is the real borefest of engineering. Especially if you want to get it done in a focused way.

Engineering itself is just travelling to the location, with the materials, and then playing the jackpot machine and hoping that the single click will complete the upgrade... or at least a substantial percentage of it, without wasting those materials which you prob spent countless hours grinding and finding.

So collecting on the go, is just incidental, and I don't really consider that Engineering. Opportunistic at best. It's like passing by a store and suddenly deciding that you feel peckish so you go in and grab a snack.

While making a concerted effort to get those materials (aka. Intentional) is prob considered playing the engineering game.

The latter is boring as frak unfortunately. Not because collecting materials is boring, but because of the amount of materials you have to collect, and their rarity in some instances. Needle in a haystack for some of them.

So rather than travel around, wasting time in slow slow SC. I'd rather find a place like Dav's hope, Tavernier's Penal Colony, and then play the meta game by logging/relogging repeatedly until I acquire enough higher grade mats to downtrade.

Grind grind grind grind grind.

Materials collecting is the real borefest of engineering. Especially if you want to get it done in a focused way.

Engineering itself is just travelling to the location, with the materials, and then playing the jackpot machine and hoping that the single click will complete the upgrade... or at least a substantial percentage of it, without wasting those materials which you prob spent countless hours grinding and finding.

So collecting on the go, is just incidental, and I don't really consider that Engineering. Opportunistic at best. It's like passing by a store and suddenly deciding that you feel peckish so you go in and grab a snack.

While making a concerted effort to get those materials (aka. Intentional) is prob considered playing the engineering game.

The latter is boring as frak unfortunately. Not because collecting materials is boring, but because of the amount of materials you have to collect, and their rarity in some instances. Needle in a haystack for some of them.

So rather than travel around, wasting time in slow slow SC. I'd rather find a place like Dav's hope, Tavernier's Penal Colony, and then play the meta game by logging/relogging repeatedly until I acquire enough higher grade mats to downtrade.

I guess it's whatever people want to do, just play the game, and pick things up as ya go, or grind it like there's no tomorrow! Or even do a bit of both! As you know I'm one of the former so I enjoy all of the perks with none of the drawbacks. Except for the 7 jumps to the f@#$ing cigar shop, then 7 back! Rinse and repeat several times....... yeah, even I have my limits!

I have never been to Dav's hope! One day I will go there, just so I'm not the only ED player who never went there.... went to Hutton Orbital once, did not know what I was getting myself into until I arrived in the system and saw how far it was. But the free anaconda was some sort of consolation..... 😀

dxm55

Banned
I guess it's whatever people want to do, just play the game, and pick things up as ya go, or grind it like there's no tomorrow! Or even do a bit of both! As you know I'm one of the former so I enjoy all of the perks with none of the drawbacks. Except for the 7 jumps to the f@#$ing cigar shop, then 7 back! Rinse and repeat several times....... yeah, even I have my limits!

Also the fact that adding exp effects means you can't pin it like a blueprint but have to actually go onsite to the engineer's base to get it done.

I have... can't remember.... 12 ships ATM. And that means I have to make 12 trips to the engineer base, in addition to scrounging for that much materials. Jesus H Christ what a drag. And getting to the engineer's base isn't like going to a station. You have OC and Glide that eats up more of your playtime.

Everytime I work on an engineer I pray that there's a station somewhere in the same system that i have to spend tons of Creds on to move all my ships over.
Moving a Cutter across the bubble costs 20m LOL..... But I rather use my DBX taxi to make 8 jumps and then pay for the transfer and log out for the day, than jump 20+ time in a larger ship. The same way I'd rather grab a cab to travel four city blocks than walk in the summer heat.

Last edited:
People who don't like the game don't bother complaining. They find another game. The people who complain are the ones who like the game but are maddened by it's flaws and design choices. I like ED but I despise some of the choices made by the devs. I want the game to be better, more logical, more intuitive, more exciting and less routine, just to name a few things. Engineering is about the least exciting thing horizons brought us.
Okay..... but what about people like me who like most of the aspects of engineering (tho not the 7 jumps to the cigar shop, then 7 jumps back, rinse and repeat 3 more times, not liking that at all!), and are happy with the way (most) things currently are? I notice the unhappy ones tend to ignore that we even exist, only going on about how "everyone hates engineering", when clearly not everyone does! It just comes across as very narcissistic, pretending that everyone shares their views, when very clearly we don't.

Top Bottom