exploration minigame 6 months later

it is actually a remake of elite. the original elite didn't have particularly engaging gameplay either. exploration? huh?
Different times. The original was one of the first games that gave you an environment, a means to get around and of you go. It was revolutionairy. Blew my mind.

FWIW both of my accounts send data to both EDSM and Inara as both are very useful resources, but I thank EDDiscovery for the ease of doing so :)

it is actually a remake of elite. the original elite didn't have particularly engaging gameplay either. exploration? huh?

everything has been an afterthought. the point was to reproduce elite in full scope, without the severe limitations of the 80s. and so they did, and did quite well.

now filling that whole vast scope with interesting stuff is a very different story, and populating it with good, engaging and interoperable mechanics requires a completely different set of experts. nothing they have thrown at it really sticks. so you now have this enormous galaxy and the tools from a theme park builder ... done in a rush.

I get the feeling that the game was just a DB obsession (bad word, it’s sounds negative and I don’t want it to be) to produce stellar forge. Ships were put it so you could look and marvel at it, any gameplay was incidental and a good way to sell it, I just don’t think the engine was designed for and can cope with in depth gameplay

you figured out what the sample is! that's smart! actually, the poster did say so very clearly, but still ...
The sample size is irrelevant as we.dont have enough information. It's basically meaningless without it.

well, that's a gift. enjoy and be grateful for it!
Depends what I'm laughing about.

exactly. a portion we have data about, to relatively far back in time. while this doesn't tell us the whole story, it indeed shows a picture you may extrapolate to greater samples. that's actually the whole point of statistics, my dear.
Statistics are useless without the correct information my dear. All you are doing is pure guess work. It's meaningless.

or any of the other billions of lifeforms on this planet and beyond playing this game, of course. so you actually looked at the numbers before throwing this tantrum. curious.
What tantrum.

The numbers are irrelevant as they don't mean anything on their own.

or maybe you are just too smart.
Don't need to be smart for that. I thought you would be smart enough to work that out.

Different times. The original was one of the first games that gave you an environment, a means to get around and of you go. It was revolutionairy. Blew my mind.
It was revolutionary. A great game; unexpectedly great for 1984.

By 2014 we probably could've hoped for a bit better than a prettied-up remake of that 1984 game, though. Especially since sequels in 1993 and 1995 had shown how far that original concept could be improved on in just a decade.

I mean, again, ED is pretty. I don't want to take away from the hard work that's been put into the presentation of the game. Visually and... audibly (?)... it's absolutely magnificent in my view. And it's fun and absorbing enough. If it weren't I wouldn't have been playing it almost solidly for five years. It's just not the Elite 4 I've been waiting for.

The drop in systems could be just for a 100 people
Yeahhh, no. Remember the data? Monthly exploration activity was more or less halved. If that drop is due to just a hundred people, then that means the total before was 200 Commanders. If you run a few simple calculations, it would also say that those hundred Commanders sustained daily a level of scanning and travelling activity that's well above what any Commander has ever done.
Take a look at the Commanders Map, and tell me again if you still seriously think that only a hundred people there are still active.

There's no shame in admitting if you were wrong about something, or didn't know something before.

Last edited:

DeletedUser191218

D
So, I know that when the new explo minigame was added, opinion was somewhat mixed. Some liked it, others, didn't. I for one thought it was pretty repetitive, time consuming, and "took me out of the game". In fact I got so bored of it halfway to the core, I basically stopped playing and left my ship floating there for 6 months (I just logged in and flew it back to the bubble a couple days ago). Anyway, now that we've had some time to get used to (or tired of it), what's the current consensus? I for one would prefer to lose the second mode, go back honking from the main mode, having everything discovered, then using the data to determine if anything is worth looking at, THEN firing a probe at the planet of interest that automatically maps the whole planet, all without the mode switch or minigame. I think this would be a better compromise between the formed simplistic method and the current overdone method. Discuss.

I think it's boring and rarely do it. Sometimes I use it to find signal sources. It's also odd that we can identify planets in other systems now, but not in 3305.

Yeahhh, no. Remember the data? Monthly exploration activity was more or less halved. If that drop is due to just a hundred people, then that means the total before was 200 Commanders. If you run a few simple calculations, it would also say that those hundred Commanders sustained daily a level of scanning and travelling activity that's well above what any Commander has ever done.
Take a look at the Commanders Map, and tell me again if you still seriously think that only a hundred people there are still active.

There's no shame in admitting if you were wrong about something, or didn't know something before.
I'm not saying it was literally 100 people. It's just an example of how we don't know enough information to use that as a reasonable stat.

And that's monthly EDSM. For all we know exploration maybe much better with more people going out and exploring. But as the majority are not on EDSM we can't know.

How does that thing work? When I click it I get a hi-res picture of the galaxy map, divided into districts. But I don't see anything else, whereas one of the menus suggests I should be able to see the position of other cmdrs and such?

What tantrum.

The numbers are irrelevant as they don't mean anything on their own.

you still haven't refuted those numbers nor made any half rational case as to how those numbers should be considered invalid. yet you keep shouting around they are meaningless. that tantrum.

Because what people expected was a lot more interesting things to do after they pressed that button, while actually exploring the system and the planets. Instead, pressing the button was replaced by something equally mundane and uninteresting but much more time consuming and repetitive, and afterwards there is still the very same good old nothing. So basically what we got was boring busywork without absolutely anything in return. Like a tedious fetch quest in an RPG but without the loot (and without the quest).

Just because we're all repeating ourselves for the millionth time: :p

IMHO the main issue right now is not the FSS and such, but indeed the absolute lack of stuff to find. Which means that an already shallow part of ED is now equally shallow, but has an added part to it that is tedious through sheer repetition. That isn't an issue with the mechanic itself, the problem is the repetition. And the repetition is caused by there being pretty much nothing to do after the FSS part other than jumping and scanning some more. Sure, I have a small chance of finding geological stuff, and an even smaller chance of biological stuff. But none of it does anything, I cant do anything with it and I've seen it all before.

To me the solution is not to make a shallow boring game easier or faster to play, that would still mean its shallow and boring. The solution is to add stuff to find, add gameplay to it and, dare I say, challenge. I want the loop to be this:

1) Jump (45 sec)
2) Scan (30s-3min)
3) Supercruise to something interesting (1 min)
4) Actually do stuff (>1 hour)

I dont care if I have to watch that loading screen (which is the worst part) once in a while, and scanning would be fun if it is actually followed by something. If the only thing to exploration is jumping and FSS (which we have now), or jumping and mindless waiting in SC (which we had before) then that isn't enough. So I dont want FD to work on changing SC, or jumping, or the FSS. I want them to work on adding stuff so I get to fly in normal space (and maybe EVA). And until they add something worthwhile for what should be the main part of exploration, none of it matters. It is shallow and boring, with varying degrees of speed.

How does that thing work? When I click it I get a hi-res picture of the galaxy map, divided into districts. But I don't see anything else, whereas one of the menus suggests I should be able to see the position of other cmdrs and such?

Could be a browser compatibility thing, I just clicked that link in Chrome & can see a bunch of icons all over the map, and zooming in updates the icons. I guess the numbers in the icons represent players in that region (narrowing down on zoom) but I don't see a key.

Could be a browser compatibility thing, I just clicked that link in Chrome & can see a bunch of icons all over the map, and zooming in updates the icons. I guess the numbers in the icons represent players in that region (narrowing down on zoom) but I don't see a key.

Thanks, but I am using chrome.

shakes fist at computer

Edit: And there they are! Piles and piles of, well, I dont know what. But it is there and it looks rather impressive! :D

you still haven't refuted those numbers nor made any half rational case as to how those numbers should be considered invalid. yet you keep shouting around they are meaningless. that tantrum.
And you haven't told me how they are valid either. Give me a reason to believe they mean anything and I will believe it. But so far it's been zilch. You are the person trying to use them as a meaningful stat, you prove that they are meaningful. I don't not need to prove anything as I am not trying to prove anything.

I am not shouting anything. I am trying to get you guys to tell me why they are valid, as without that, to me, they are meaningless.

I am not trying to refute the numbers. Or maybe you are too smart to work that out. ;)

Last edited:
Just because we're all repeating ourselves for the millionth time: :p

IMHO the main issue right now is not the FSS and such, but indeed the absolute lack of stuff to find. Which means that an already shallow part of ED is now equally shallow, but has an added part to it that is tedious through sheer repetition. That isn't an issue with the mechanic itself, the problem is the repetition. And the repetition is caused by there being pretty much nothing to do after the FSS part other than jumping and scanning some more. Sure, I have a small chance of finding geological stuff, and an even smaller chance of biological stuff. But none of it does anything, I cant do anything with it and I've seen it all before.

To me the solution is not to make a shallow boring game easier or faster to play, that would still mean its shallow and boring. The solution is to add stuff to find, add gameplay to it and, dare I say, challenge. I want the loop to be this:

1) Jump (45 sec)
2) Scan (30s-3min)
3) Supercruise to something interesting (1 min)
4) Actually do stuff (>1 hour)

I dont care if I have to watch that loading screen (which is the worst part) once in a while, and scanning would be fun if it is actually followed by something. If the only thing to exploration is jumping and FSS (which we have now), or jumping and mindless waiting in SC (which we had before) then that isn't enough. So I dont want FD to work on changing SC, or jumping, or the FSS. I want them to work on adding stuff so I get to fly in normal space (and maybe EVA). And until they add something worthwhile for what should be the main part of exploration, none of it matters. It is shallow and boring, with varying degrees of speed.
This is exactly the issue in my view. Once you have gone to look at every type of geological POI you have no reason to go to one again.

We need more things to do on planets which isn't just a scan for more credits and your name in the codex.

The issue I think is that we are stuck on mostly lifeless none-atmospheric planets. They are only going to have so much on them. Hence the reason why Fdev have added stuff in space as well, but that will be limited.

As explorers its atmospheric planets that are needed. They should be able to add much more meaningful gameplay opportunities.

And you haven't told me how they are valid either. Give me a reason to believe they mean anything and I will believe it. But so far it's been zilch.

the numbers show the rise and fall of popularity of exploration events as seen from edsm, with a sharp drop off between september and december 3302, maintained since. needless to say, this only refers to pilots contributing data. while there are no doubt many explorers that don't, there is no external reason to assume big changes of those who did during the period. it is, then, a representative sample of the presumed behavior of the wider community (as much as steamcharts is a representative sample of the wider playerbase, but that's another story).

You are the person trying to use them as a meaningful stat,

no, i'm not. i don't even have the slightest idea when the fss was introduced, i don't remember. was it between september and december 3302, per any chance? if so, this could be suspicious. but what i do evidence from that data is that interest in exploration expeditions seems to have plateaued at the lower bar since that date.

that's what the data says.

it's not my data, i'm not contributing anything to it, just reading it out loud.

now what's exactly your problem with it?

I don't not need to prove anything as I am not trying to prove anything.

exactly. you're just trolling. in your dumb white knighty sparkling fashion. so much was clear, already!

the numbers show the rise and fall of popularity of exploration events as seen from edsm, with a sharp drop off between september and december 3302, maintained since. needless to say, this only refers to pilots contributing data. while there are no doubt many explorers that don't, there is no external reason to assume big changes of those who did during the period. it is, then, a representative sample of the presumed behavior of the wider community (as much as steamcharts is a representative sample of the wider playerbase, but that's another story).
Which doesn't tell us anything as there could be many reasons why people stopped exploring or even playing the game.

no, i'm not. i don't even have the slightest idea when the fss was introduced, i don't remember. was it between september and december 3302, per any chance? if so, this could be suspicious. but what i do evidence from that data is that interest in exploration expeditions seems to have plateaued at the lower bar since that date.
So you are trolling then. ;)

that's what the data says.
The data says the exploration fell in EDSM. That I don't dispute. The reasons for that reduction is another thing. To say it's because of the FSS is just guess work. And no EDSM is not representative of the wider player base.[/QUOTE]

it's not my data, i'm not contributing anything to it, just reading it out loud.
I know that.

now what's exactly your problem with it?
The actual data, nothing. Whether it means anything is another question though.

exactly. you're just trolling. in your dumb white knighty sparkling fashion. so much was clear, already!
You are not a nice person are you. You have to reduce it to petty insults now.

No I am not a white knight and never have been. I don't defend Fdev and don't think I have ever defended them once.

If so am trolling, then so are you. So which one is it.

All I am doing is asking questions which nobody can seem to answer, and all I get is abuse thrown at me with stupid assumptions by you.

Top Bottom