Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator
Tried to play a bit more, and I just can't. It's too much of a tree-puncher/crafting/survival game for my liking. I find those dull as dishwater.

Shame really, because I love the graphical style. There's just no fun gameplay built around it for me personally.

Tried to play a bit more, and I just can't. It's too much of a tree-puncher/crafting/survival game for my liking. I find those dull as dishwater.

Shame really, because I love the graphical style. There's just no fun gameplay built around it for me personally.

You can always play in Creative mode... that way you don't have to punch any trees or worry about surviving anywhere.

The game is basically the same besides that. Even the quest lines (well, except the initial tutorial where you have to find and fix a ship).

EDIT: Also, the tutorial on Normal (whilst brilliant IMO, YMMV) isn't really indicative of what the game is like after you get past all that and get established.

Last edited:
You can always play in Creative mode... that way you don't have to punch any trees or worry about surviving anywhere.

The game is basically the same besides that. Even the quest lines (well, except the initial tutorial where you have to find and fix a ship).

EDIT: Also, the tutorial on Normal (whilst brilliant IMO, YMMV) isn't really indicative of what the game is like after you get past all that and get established.
Yeah. The tutorial start can feel a bit like forced story mode with a lot of chasing the "right" materials and not knowing what's what. I remember the first time I played one of the earlier tutorials and there was a lot of stuff to do and had no clue what rock, flower, or tree to shoot or pick. And then they've changed the names on materials and recipes... oy vey.

Anyway, another tip for new players, as soon as you got your ship and have the base building blueprint, hunt for a safe planet to settle on. Not to build a huge base, but to be your place where you will keep on going back and mine and gather stuff you need. Preferably a planet that have good weather, meaning you never have to take shelter to survive and have the good amount of the resources like trees/plants, rocks, caves, etc. As an example, the first planet I put a base computer is completely safe. I can have my guy stand out in the open day and night. The only thing that ever been dangerous here is some angry predators, but they're rare.

No excuse not to for any space sim fan out there, really.
I went through a phase of playing a lot with a few friends when the first beyond update dropped with multiplayer about a year or so ago...but just got bored with the whole grind after a few months. I kinda lost the sense of the whole storyline, didn't know where I was supposed to be going or what I was supposed to do and reverted to endless collecting of resources and building stuff...which I have absolutely no interest in. It was a sure fire way of killing off any enthusiasm I had for NMS...

I'll give it another shot anyway, a few friends are harping on about it and how I should fire it up again...

Well, the current state of the game might be a reason to wait a week. ;)
Yeah, this release is extremely buggy. On the good side though, HG is patching like crazy. Never seen that many updates in such a short time. Yesterday I think there two or three the same day!

I went through a phase of playing a lot with a few friends when the first beyond update dropped with multiplayer...but just got bored with the whole grind after a few months. I kinda lost the sense of the whole storyline, didn't know where I was supposed to be going or what I was supposed to do and reverted to endless collecting of resources and building stuff...which I have absolutely no interest in. It was a sure fire way of killing off any enthusiasm I had for NMS...

I'll give it another shot anyway, a few friends are harping on about it and how I should fire it up again...
Not sure how stable the multiplayer part is though. There's been some serious crashes (which they supposedly fixed) relating to the nexus. Just so you're informed.

Preferably a planet that have good weather, meaning you never have to take shelter to survive and have the good amount of the resources like trees/plants, rocks, caves, etc
Also it's nice to find a planet where sentinels are a bit laid back. When you have one breathing on your neck every time you shoot a rock it's no fun. :LOL:

Also it's nice to find a planet where sentinels are a bit laid back. When you have one breathing on your neck every time you shoot a rock it's no fun. :LOL:
For some reason I've been extremely lucky when it comes to that.

Before the update, I encountered sentinels on pretty much all planets and every 10th planet had high activity.

Now, in this version, I have seen 1 (one) sentinel in total. Seriously. They're currently crazy rare for me, so I don't want to pick up sentinel killing missions because I'm not sure I can find them.

edit: correction, I did see them when they attacked me after I picked a gravity ball, and I've seen the red markers in the visor, but that's it.

Last edited:

One thing I've noticed about Beyond - Sentinels are much fewer and further between. In fact, I don't think I've even seen one of the flying drone ones... just a couple of walkers defending a storage facility.

Edit: Ninja'd!

One thing I've noticed about Beyond - Sentinels are much fewer and further between. In fact, I don't think I've even seen one of the flying drone ones... just a couple of walkers defending a storage facility.

Trying to farm my fungi/cacti planets and they keep turning up... it might depend on what resources are in the area for the star class... as these are the expensive items after collection and combined to explosive they may be defended better than say cadmium planets...

They did say in the release notes they reduced the number of sentinels, but I wonder if they maybe overdid it a bit.

Yeah, this release is extremely buggy. On the good side though, HG is patching like crazy. Never seen that many updates in such a short time. Yesterday I think there two or three the same day!

I wouldn't say it's extremely buggy. There are a few bugs (PS4 just got an update yesterday which was a cumulative patch for the PC hotfixes you mention), but I've not found anything game-breaking yet. It's mostly cosmetic things from what I can tell. 🤷‍♀️ The worst was when I had to logout whilst trying to dock at the Nexus, because my ship just kept doing a silly dance and ignoring the pad. Lost about 10 minutes "progress" that I had to re-do. When I docked again, I docked fine, but other ships were doing the same silly dance. It's not happened since.

Trying to farm my fungi/cacti planets and they keep turning up... it might depend on what resources are in the area for the star class... as these are the expensive items after collection and combined to explosive they may be defended better than say cadmium planets...

Ah... interesting. Thanks for the info.

They did say in the release notes they reduced the number of sentinels, but I wonder if they maybe overdid it a bit.

Nah, I'm cool with it. :LOL:

I wouldn't say it's extremely buggy. There are a few bugs (PS4 just got an update yesterday which was a cumulative patch for the PC hotfixes you mention), but I've not found anything game-breaking yet. It's mostly cosmetic things from what I can tell. 🤷‍♀️ The worst was when I had to logout whilst trying to dock at the Nexus, because my ship just kept doing a silly dance and ignoring the pad. Lost about 10 minutes "progress" that I had to re-do. When I docked again, I docked fine, but other ships were doing the same silly dance. It's not happened since.
I've had some crashes, falling through the planet a few times, lost charged battery power and stuff in refiner after going to the nexus, and other problems. Nothing has killed the game or experience for me though, but it's quite full of small issues. The worst one is the mining laser on the exocrafts right now to me. I like to mine/harvest using the roamer, but really can't with this version, so it's all by hand for now. But nothing of this is game breaking. Most of it will be fixed eventually, but it's good to know that it's not all perfect.

But there's been some people who lost their bases or lost their save files completely in the past week, so it's good to know it's still a bit unstable.

For some reason I've been extremely lucky when it comes to that.

Before the update, I encountered sentinels on pretty much all planets and every 10th planet had high activity.

Now, in this version, I have seen 1 (one) sentinel in total. Seriously. They're currently crazy rare for me, so I don't want to pick up sentinel killing missions because I'm not sure I can find them.

edit: correction, I did see them when they attacked me after I picked a gravity ball, and I've seen the red markers in the visor, but that's it.

Then I'm probably in some weird part of the galaxy. :D

No, really, I think what they did was differentiating the security levels a bit better. (i.e. there are planets where you almost don¨t see the sentinels at all and then there are such where you can't even fart without getting a robo-dog bite you in the neck. And naturally everything in between. :LOL:

Also, on a completely unrelated note - I've found my first unfinished planet, yesterday. And it is kind of awesome. I've collected a couple glitches as a decoration for my freighter, too. Really really cool idea. :)

Top Bottom