What even is "Grinding".

The PvP hauling can be even tougher.

Because it's not needed for NPCs (they lose drives or explode before they get away) and doesn't work against CMDRs that know what they are doing. Oh I'm sure the occasional lazy, reckless, or incompetent CMDR fails to drop out of SC or make that second jump soon enough, but most of the one's I'd be inclined to chase wouldn't.

Dude, 90% of cmdrs in open have no clue what they are doing. Are you telling me you bother trying to track Kb/m warriors like Potter? You don't need a wake scanner to find them.

Dude, 90% of cmdrs in open have no clue what they are doing.

And I either don't have any incentive to follow them, or I already know where they are going before they do.

Most clueless CMDRs select the closest system on the list, or the nearest system with a suitable starport. In these scenarios chances are that I already have a route plotted and will get there before they do (I'm not fumbling with the nav panel, I'm charging my FSD the moment I see their hardpoints retract, and almost no one will load the next system faster than I will). Not that it usually means much as I rarely pack an interdictor (I see it as almost as useless as the wake scanner...submit+high-wake is entirely too easy. I haven't lost a ship in an encounter where an interdictor was involved since 2015, as the very act of interdiction voids any chance of catching someone off-guard), so unless I can hit their destination before they do (rare, but it does happen), they escape.

Are you telling me you bother trying to track Kb/m warriors like Potter? You don't need a wake scanner to find them.

I reject the apparent implication that KBM provides an overall advantage in combat. Regardless, I'm also not going to need a wake scanner to follow those who are on my friends lists, who aren't going to retreat, or who want to be found.

That's the point...the wake scanner doesn't have any real niche other than harvesting data. NPCs suck and CMDRs either suck or can easily defeat attempts to follow them via wake scanning. The combination of persistence issues (a low wake vanishes if no one is holding the instance it's in) and the small interval between jumps foil almost every scenario where wake scanning would actually be useful.

giphy.gif

FZDZJ16ICX7KZRW.LARGE.gif
Frottage, then sharpening an axe... I believe we have a serial killer in our midsts.

And I either don't have any incentive to follow them, or I already know where they are going before they do.

Most clueless CMDRs select the closest system on the list, or the nearest system with a suitable starport. In these scenarios chances are that I already have a route plotted and will get there before they do (I'm not fumbling with the nav panel, I'm charging my FSD the moment I see their hardpoints retract, and almost no one will load the next system faster than I will). Not that it usually means much as I rarely pack an interdictor (I see it as almost as useless as the wake scanner...submit+high-wake is entirely too easy. I haven't lost a ship in an encounter where an interdictor was involved since 2015, as the very act of interdiction voids any chance of catching someone off-guard), so unless I can hit their destination before they do (rare, but it does happen), they escape.

I reject the apparent implication that KBM provides an overall advantage in combat. Regardless, I'm also not going to need a wake scanner to follow those who are on my friends lists, who aren't going to retreat, or who want to be found.

That's the point...the wake scanner doesn't have any real niche other than harvesting data. NPCs suck and CMDRs either suck or can easily defeat attempts to follow them via wake scanning. The combination of persistence issues (a low wake vanishes if no one is holding the instance it's in) and the small interval between jumps foil almost every scenario where wake scanning would actually be useful.

This is turning into a bit of a grind..

This is turning into a bit of a grind..

Just sharing my experiences and perceptions with certain mechanisms that I feel would have been (and would need to have been) overhauled or replaced, if they weren't repurposed as material/data farming tools.

If you've found a niche for the wake scanner, great. Personally, I've never found it to do anything that cannot be done better some other way.

You only have yourself to blame for playing the game?

Where would this train of thought lead if they made every aspect of the game tedious? What if docking were to take 90 minutes. Or jumping from one star to the next required manually calculating a jump by doing 1000 simple sums?

At what point would you either consider no longer playing the game or even (shock horror) suggesting that FD do something to make some aspects less tedious.

I no longer play the game. I just can't be bothered with the tedium. My threshold is obviously lower than yours. You do however have a limit too. So your point is not without irony.

But these things you What If do not exist. I’m not saying there isn’t room for improvements. Space is overcrowded in comparison. But there is nothing that forces anyone to do any thing.

If you have 500 of each material in your hold it’s because you chose to put them there.
If you’re bankrolling 9,999,998,999,999 credits, it’s because you wanted them there.
If you burned yourself out doing these things...

... yep, absolutely Prince Harry’s fault.

See how that works?

None of that stuff, which I suspect everybody is already aware of, addresses Raw mat's.

The only way to get them is to farm planet surfaces... which is a repetitive and unchallenging activity required in order to be successful at something - ergo, grind.

Yes, they had an excellent opportunity to resolve this with subsurface mining or deep core mining.

Possible subsurface would have been the best choice, as it's largely ignored.

If doing the new mining stuff spewed out raw materials, that could have solved a lot of that issue.

Surface prospecting & geo/biosites.

"Want to engineer your spaceship? Drive a buggy around for hours picking up RNG ingredients with zero interruption or game mechanics."

Manufactured mats and Encoded mats I gain entirely from playing the game. Bounty hunting and missions. But Raw mats? Mindless grind doing nothing i enjoy, there is no other way to get the mats.

This could easily be fixed by adding Raw mats as possible reward choices for missions, and give trader/miner NPCs chances of dropping Raw mats. There would be options to get Raw mats for those of us who never had an interwst in buggy simulation, and Piracy would suddenly have a unique incentive.

That's a shame for you having to drive your buggy. It really is.
Particularly when I view it so, so differently.
I sometimes just land on a planet and drive my buggy for no in-game "rewards" at all, just to enjoy the views.
PvP combat on the other hand. Personally, I find it tedious.
But it's good we're all different and enjoy different things, wouldn't you agree?

I haven't even engaged with the new mining yet. Yesterday, I built a Keelback to take out for some core cracking. I should get going on that in the next week or so...

On these forums grind seems to be mechanics you don't like it don't want to do.

It used to be doing repetitive tasks continuesly which gets very boring to get the next upgrade/or next level.

I haven't even engaged with the new mining yet. Yesterday, I built a Keelback to take out for some core cracking. I should get going on that in the next week or so...

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. The new core mining mechanic, with exploding 'roids, I actually found to be reasonably entertaining. Far better than old laser mining which was dull as looking at a lump of coal on a moonless midnight. Don't even care about the new payouts to be honest, it's an activity which is now fun in itself, which is the best reward of all.

On these forums grind seems to be mechanics you don't like it don't want to do.

It used to be doing repetitive tasks continuesly which gets very boring to get the next upgrade/or next level.

PvP is a grind, because I don’t want to do it.

Hmm... seems to work as a definition.

But these things you What If do not exist. I’m not saying there isn’t room for improvements. Space is overcrowded in comparison. But there is nothing that forces anyone to do any thing.

If you have 500 of each material in your hold it’s because you chose to put them there.
If you’re bankrolling 9,999,998,999,999 credits, it’s because you wanted them there.
If you burned yourself out doing these things...

... yep, absolutely Prince Harry’s fault.

See how that works?
I didn't "burn myself out", I stopped playing because I'd exhausted the old content and all the new content had intolerable (imo) levels of grind attached to it.

This was in fact FD's "fault" insofar as there's nobody else to blame. I mean, they created the content and associated mechanics. See how that works?

Bear in mind also, that I don't believe they owe me anything. I bought Horizons pre-release and understood fully that I was paying for content that I hadn't yet seen, and accepted that it might not live up to expectations. That doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed with my purchase though. It's unlikely that I'll so readily give FD money for unseen content in future.

I've seen other games fail to live up to expectations before and seen where they've ended up. I'm not saying "the game is dead" though. It's much worse than that. Interest fades, people go elsewhere or stop paying attention, funds aren't as forthcoming, then the content suffers and games circle the drain for sometimes an age. While I don't think ED is there yet, I think they're only a bad update or two away from it.

Space legs and atmospheric planets will drum up interest again, but my guess based on my experience with FD, is that there will be intolerable levels of grind attached.

I didn't "burn myself out", I stopped playing because I'd exhausted the old content and all the new content had intolerable (imo) levels of grind attached to it.

This was in fact FD's "fault" insofar as there's nobody else to blame. I mean, they created the content and associated mechanics. See how that works?

Bear in mind also, that I don't believe they owe me anything. I bought Horizons pre-release and understood fully that I was paying for content that I hadn't yet seen, and accepted that it might not live up to expectations. That doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed with my purchase though. It's unlikely that I'll so readily give FD money for unseen content in future.

I've seen other games fail to live up to expectations before and seen where they've ended up. I'm not saying "the game is dead" though. It's much worse than that. Interest fades, people go elsewhere or stop paying attention, funds aren't as forthcoming, then the content suffers and games circle the drain for sometimes an age. While I don't think ED is there yet, I think they're only a bad update or two away from it.

Space legs and atmospheric planets will drum up interest again, but my guess based on my experience with FD, is that there will be intolerable levels of grind attached.

I’m curious to know what you’re calling “intolerable levels of grind”, particularly where the post Horizons content is concerned, as well as what you think would be a better means of making this content accessible.

My two credits:

Grinding (in games): the repetitious completion of an action (or actions) as a means to acquire something of value (to the player) within the game.
  • This repetition is not always necessary to acquire the something of value
  • This repetition is not always the most efficient or effective means to acquire the something of value
  • Game design can, but does not have to, result in the repetition being 'necessary' (i.e. it is the only path to the something of value)
  • The repetition is typically because it represents the quickest (in terms of time played) means to acquire the something of value
  • The repetition is often not enjoyable after several cycles, though this is not always the case

Some extra points...
  • 'Grinding' can be an enjoyable gameplay loop (as demonstrated in the loot shooter genre) but, like all gameplay loops, it cannot be enjoyed indefinitely
  • 'Grinding' is usually a derogatory reference to a gameplay mechanic that isn't necessary but represents the quickest way to reach a desired goal
  • Psychologically, 'grinding' heavily (or for long periods of time) reduces the payoff (the valence) of the thing of value when it is acquired as the mentality to 'grind' usually leads to heightened expectations and over-valuing (increased valence) for the thing of value. This results in a schism between expectation of value and actual value. From this schism we often see player burnout.

A cursory glance of google will show that 'grinding' is regarded as one of gaming's greatest woes but the vast majority of cases of grinding are self-imposed by players. In other words, the 'grind' is mostly self-inflicted rather than an actual requirement of gameplay. The exceptions to this (and thus the minority) generally surrounds the most current looter-shooter titles such as Destiny 2 or the Division 2. Aside from this minority, almost all discussion on grinding centers on the phenomena of more gamers choosing to 'grind' gameplay for a specific reward as opposed to 'just playing the game' and acquiring the reward at a later time period.

Ironically, grinding - typically an attempt to acquire something in a shorter amount of time than normal gameplay - is primarily an act of impatience and little else. Choosing to not grind - to be patient with the gameplay systems - generally increases overall satisfaction as well as total time played for a title.

Top Bottom