ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Frontier should answer whether Fleet Carriers can be damaged. How are FC useful for PVP type gameplay? Can the FC move inside a star system?

If that NPC rabble think they're loitering near my carrier, then I have news for them:

Loitering is punishable by death!

THAT's what the (confirmed) weapons on the carrier are for! 😀
I would like to run access to my Carrier if/when I get one via a white list.

"NPC or Commander if your name isn't on the list you have 10 seconds to get out of range, time started when I started speaking."

Frontier should answer whether Fleet Carriers can be damaged. How are FC useful for PVP type gameplay? Can the FC move inside a star system?
They have already answered the first part of your question with no they can't be damaged.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
So not destructible, but chase-offable.

Yeah, if not destructible that could also make things quite interesting. Thing is, if carriers are fully persistent even if the owner is not there (he/she is offline, multiple instances, or attackers in Solo etc) then even “chase-offable” becomes very hard to implement.

Last edited:
No, they said carriers cannot be destroyed, not that they could not be damaged.

Capital ships cannot be "destroyed" either, but they can be damaged to the point that they no longer remain in instance.
Maybe megaships are a better comparison - you can damage them, but they won't jump out or explode. But who knows! Fun eh :)

They have already answered the first part of your question with no they can't be damaged.
See what I mean? :) FD love this. They must do.

I guess not. They're persistent and exist in all modes. If they could be damaged I could go around beating up people's carriers in Solo.
That's true. I'd forgotten about Solo. I guess they'll just work like space stations and outposts, firing on trespassers but not able to themselves be damaged. A pity. I would have liked to see them jump away like capital ships.

The whole instancing thing is a bit weird TBH. I'm fairly sure (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the number of CMDRs docked at a particular station can exceed the number of pads due to instancing. This is how you can have hundreds of ships at CGs without docking delays, as long as they're spread among instances. And it's a conceit that works with the big stations because they have a large number of pads and not many people could be bothered counting the ships in and out.

But how's it going to work with carriers? If my friend has a six-pad carrier and gives me and five others docking invites for a total of seven CMDRs, will one of us get a Docking Denied warning if all six pads are occupied by other players even if they're all in different instances or even different modes? I guess we'll have to, otherwise it could be exploited to get hundreds of players onto a carrier.

It's going to be fun playing with these. I hope there's a beta.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: GAL

I doubt it, if they could, you'd end up with more then one carrier within an instance.

And then the galaxy would explode.

Capital ships cannot be "destroyed" either, but they can be damaged to the point that they no longer remain in instance.

They also have a significant combat presence that could be beyond the scope of our carriers. We'll have to see.

Right now my money is on them being static assets in system for the most part.

Great stuff! This covers a lot of the pressing questions that should have been part of the initial release statements.
The reason the information is not released early is, quite possibly, that some of the design details for FCs are being built 'on the fly.' In other words, the forum is coming up with exceptions and outlier cases that no one designer could have thought of (at least not all of them).

Not so much Design-by-Forum, but rather Forum-Design-Disaster-Avoidance :D

Move over Void Opals, CarrierJumpOpals are coming!

WARNING! LAST NIGHT SPECULATION AHEAD!

I wonder how much they'll cost? I'd laugh if it was 1.6M per ton, the same price you can sell Void Opals for. 😀

CarrierJumpOpals
must cost a bit otherwise there's no real motivation for Commanders to mine them other than 'because I can!' or 'I can sell them and I don't own a carrier anyway!'

And speaking of mining them, will we have to crack open rocks to free the CarrierJumpOpals from their rocky prison? I suspect the hotspots for them are gonna get pounded.

Hmmm.....FD say you can buy them. That kinda implies that CarrierJumpOpals are cargo and not materials (as yet, you can't buy any materials in the game).

If that's the case then either there's cargo space on the carrier/support ship and you perhaps use up a ton of CarrierJumpOpals for every jump you make.

OR

Maybe when you deliver the CarrierJumpOpals to the carrier in your current ship, the CarrierJumpOpals are removed from your ship's cargo bay and the number of reserved jumps your carrier can make is increased.

OR

I'm overthinking this and should super-cruise to my bed. Probably the most likely option right now. :sleep:

Hmmm.....FD say you can buy them. That kinda implies that CarrierJumpOpals are cargo and not materials (as yet, you can't buy any materials in the game).
As I said before, they must be cargo because our FSD drive takes 3 tonnes or more to jump. You're not going to go 500ly on a few kilograms of fuel.

Added to which, this last little Q&A said it is a "commodity", which is cargo, not mats.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom