ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The carrier is probably big enough to house a automatic collector ship.
I won´t bet on that....
Nevertheless, I clearly see the opprtunity to store some 4-5 Cargo T9 on the FC with holds full of the fuel (nonsense, current game mechanics don´t support that) - the only logical thing is that You have some sub-menue in the FC interface where any visitior (incl. Owner) can "donate" fuel to the FC´s fuel storage - similar to Engis interface where you can donate goods....

edit: fuel storage on T9 would work if friends park their T9 on your FC and donate fuel subsequently....

We have yet to learn what the fuel capacity is. It makes no logical sense for any vessel to be able to use up it's whole fuel capacity to perform one max jump, the minimum number of jumps must therefore be >= 2.

Suppose I take my fleet carrier to the lower side of the galactic disc, then with the last of my fuel I perform a full-range jump to an isolated system 500ly below, containing only a single Y-class star and nothing else. Unless the unique resource is starstuff that's scoopable from any stellar class, which seems unlikely, the carrier and every ship aboard it is now effectively stranded.

ORRRRR.... don’t jump there with the carrier?

Suppose I take my fleet carrier to the lower side of the galactic disc, then with the last of my fuel I perform a full-range jump to an isolated system 500ly below, containing only a single Y-class star and nothing else. Unless the unique resource is starstuff that's scoopable from any stellar class, which seems unlikely, the carrier and every ship aboard it is now effectively stranded.

I hope you'll leave a nice log recording for when I discover the abondonned hulk? I really like those.

I guess with 500Ly range, quite a few inaccessible galaxy edge systems will be reachable but f you can't get out, even with a jumpaconda, self destruct your ship should send you back to your fleet carrier, bwaha. Trapped!

I guess self destruct fleet carrier, clear save (*or return to Soothis) and remember next time the galactic edge is a high risk trip!

* It's about time ED had some Ironman Mode in it somewhere, imho.

I can't see any purpose for this ship exept TAXI lol . what a waste of time.

Just to spitball. We know PFC's at release will be able to defend themselves, will be indestructible and will need fuel.

What about if there was an option to turn off indestructibility (one off choice, no going back) at which point you take a risk that someone might come along and trash your billion credit investment. However on tick and in return you automatically accrue fuel and at the appointed time - if you can survive that long - you're ready to jump, while non-destructible PFC captains need to collect fuel manually, as per the OP.

The carrier fuel is a commodity (see Q&A). So another way to rescue for you would be for another carrier with a bunch of freighters docked, those freighters holding enough fuel between them for at least two jumps. Some of them refuel the carrier they're on, the others refuel you, both carriers jump out.
Yes, that would work. I'd forgotten the fuel was a commodity. I guess even a lone player with two accounts could do this on a single machine, as long as the carriers are persistent and docking permission can be granted to players who aren't logged in. Hopefully there'll be a "grant everyone access" option that would cover this by default.

• A carrier can only jump to a system that you have a system map for. Which, outside the bubble at least, equates to systems you have visited and therefore systems that can be reached in a regular ship. You could still get into a mess if you haven't brought your long-range ship with you.
I don't think it'll work that way for the reasons varonica outlined. 500ly exploration jumps into the unknown are part of the plan, I think. Certainly people are talking about pushing the fringes of exploration using carriers, so there'll be some disappointment if you can't do this.

• When you respawn you are always asked whether you want to respawn at the carrier or the last station you docked with. The carrier might still be lost.
It's the "lost" bit I'm curious about. Whether FD will have considered all the options, or might fall into the trap of thinking "indestructible = no need for a rebuy / replacement mechanic". I suspect they have thought of it and are just playing their cards close to their chest, but we have to consider the outliers.

I still see the only solid way to go is to allow at least 2 jumps per full fuel load, that way you can always get back to the last system you refueled at.
Unless you make two sequential jumps through isolated, non-refuellable systems!

Granted, finding two isolated systems so far apart with nothing else near them is pretty unlikely even near the edge of the galaxy, but probably not impossible. And there's nothing to stop someone repeatedly carrier-jumping between systems to deliberately run down the fuel supply. I want to know how the game handles that. Does it just sit there, abandoned yet indestructible, ready for a more forward-thinking explorer to discover as Winterwalker suggests? Actually that would be very cool, especially if they could be flagged as abandoned and rendered using a slightly more decrepit model than the default, but it's more likely they'll be determined to have self-destructed and be removed from the game entirely.

ORRRRR.... don’t jump there with the carrier?
It's not about whether it's sensible to perform a given action, it's what mechanisms exist in the game to deal with the consequences if you do. Which is why I'm hoping for a beta. "My carrier has fallen and it can't get up," is the sort of thing you want to address in a test phase, not something you want Support to be bombarded with for the first month after launch while the developers race to patch an obvious hole before more players fall into it. Figuring potential ways to break the game is part of what betas (and in the absence of betas, speculative posts on the forums) are for.

Nevertheless, I clearly see the opprtunity to store some 4-5 Cargo T9 on the FC with holds full of the fuel (nonsense, current game mechanics don´t support that) - the only logical thing is that You have some sub-menue in the FC interface where any visitior (incl. Owner) can "donate" fuel to the FC´s fuel storage - similar to Engis interface where you can donate goods....

edit: fuel storage on T9 would work if friends park their T9 on your FC and donate fuel subsequently....
No Idea what you want to say with that--- but uh yes?

I can't see any purpose for this ship exept TAXI lol . what a waste of time.
It's actually a Godsend for those of us working the BGS to expand our factions.

Too often you are expanding into a system with only outposts capable of docking medium ships and then sometimes with limited RRR facilities.

This is a total pain in the backside if you want to run massacre missions in the CZs but use something like a Corvette for the combat.

What happens at the moment is you have to dock with a medium ship to pick up the mission, jump back to a nearby system which has your Vette, dock at the station, switch ships, undock, jump back to the expansion system, fly all the way to the CZ, kill around six ships to win each battle, jump back out to the system you've come from to rearm, refuel and repair, jump back to the expansion system and go back to the CZ. Repeat this until you have killed the required number of ships to complete the massacre mission, go back to the original system, dock, switch ships to a medium, jump back to the expansion system, dock and cash in the mission.

Now we can park the FC in the expansion system and use it's RRR facilities without all the faffing about. :cool:

Part of me cries out; "Make it like NMS, make it like NMS! Where your carrier can have little feisty Frigates, combat ones, exploration ones, auxiliary ones and sechseh colours and, and, when it translates into realspace, all your fleet follows intermittently in a dazzle of ships like operation Overlord ha!"

Then part of me goes; hrm, would be a bit silly if it was a rip-off of NMS, 'cause it would be a bit, naughty. But man... I LOVED it when my Freighter smashed into real space with all my other ships, and the slow coaches who were lagging popped in slightly later than the rest of the main bunch. It was rather impressive.

Two things I've noticed that deserve merrit here, and I'm sorry I could have just quoted but got distracted by needing a poo; But.. (heh) one thing someone here said was about how cool it would be to have other players be able to land and refit their ship and refuel etc.. and you get some income from that. What a great idea dude!

Second cool thing someone here said, was that it would be great if there were different types of carrier to choose from. (To be more accurate, a large one and a small one), but to expand on that awesome idea; Wouldn't it be cool if there were a Ship show room of Carriers to choose from YEAH!

Ahem, a bit like NMS..

<_<

One image thats not in the first post, thats now available is the full Wire diagram of the carrier type.. this was included in the Emails but not here...
It shows the full top and all the pads... as well as how flat the carrier design is...

Yes, that would work. I'd forgotten the fuel was a commodity. I guess even a lone player with two accounts could do this on a single machine, as long as the carriers are persistent and docking permission can be granted to players who aren't logged in. Hopefully there'll be a "grant everyone access" option that would cover this by default.

I don't think it'll work that way for the reasons varonica outlined. 500ly exploration jumps into the unknown are part of the plan, I think. Certainly people are talking about pushing the fringes of exploration using carriers, so there'll be some disappointment if you can't do this.

It's the "lost" bit I'm curious about. Whether FD will have considered all the options, or might fall into the trap of thinking "indestructible = no need for a rebuy / replacement mechanic". I suspect they have thought of it and are just playing their cards close to their chest, but we have to consider the outliers.

Granted, finding two isolated systems so far apart with nothing else near them is pretty unlikely even near the edge of the galaxy, but probably not impossible. And there's nothing to stop someone repeatedly carrier-jumping between systems to deliberately run down the fuel supply. I want to know how the game handles that. Does it just sit there, abandoned yet indestructible, ready for a more forward-thinking explorer to discover as Winterwalker suggests? Actually that would be very cool, especially if they could be flagged as abandoned and rendered using a slightly more decrepit model than the default, but it's more likely they'll be determined to have self-destructed and be removed from the game entirely.

It's not about whether it's sensible to perform a given action, it's what mechanisms exist in the game to deal with the consequences if you do. Which is why I'm hoping for a beta. "My carrier has fallen and it can't get up," is the sort of thing you want to address in a test phase, not something you want Support to be bombarded with for the first month after launch while the developers race to patch an obvious hole before more players fall into it. Figuring potential ways to break the game is part of what betas (and in the absence of betas, speculative posts on the forums) are for.

Well presumably you could “scrap” it to recover most of you money and then buy another one.

Well presumably you could “scrap” it to recover most of you money and then buy another one.
I'm not sure I like the idea of getting any money back for being daft enough to strand a multi-million credit vessel out in the back of beyond. It'd be like rewarding inattention or deliberate sabotage. But then again we already have the pseudo-lore mechanic of recovery/rebuy upon "death", along with the invisible bulk carriers that handle station-to-station transfer of ships*, so the idea that the authorities have access to fleet carrier carriers that can salvage and recover lost carriers isn't too much of a stretch I guess.

*what would be amazingly cool is if the assets for the new fleet carriers were used to simulate this as background activity near space stations. If
every few minutes a hyperspace cloud would spit out a fleet carrier from which several NPC ships would depart to the station, be replaced by other
ships leaving the station, then the carrier would jump out again. It would be even more amazing if this could be tied into the existing mechanic for
player ships, so you could call a ship to a station, then wait outside a couple of minutes before the arrival time and see your own ship arriving.

We have yet to learn what the fuel capacity is. It makes no logical sense for any vessel to be able to use up it's whole fuel capacity to perform one max jump, the minimum number of jumps must therefore be >= 2.
Unless it is the equivilant of a max jump anaconda already. it would be kind of ty, but they could as it's approximately 6 times the jump range.

'Shi-tty' has been changed to poopooty in the engine for this forum... is a real word. The reason to not use it is mindless and nobody with a working brain should be opposing it. It's just mindlessly copying other people for reasons nobody actually knows. That is the definition of wrong. Mindlessness!!

If I was writing the code I would have a target in mind. If the game will run OK with 100 carriers in it I would set the price so only 100 carriers could be bought. In fact it probably makes sense to set the price high for the first few months to check that the game remains stable and to iron out any bugs and unwanted exploits. Then bring the price down so that the number of carriers increases.

If they follow that logic, then I'd expect the opening price to be 10-13 billion (or even higher; I wouldn't be surprised if it was 100 billion, depending on the appitite for grind displayed by the target audience) and then around February it would drop to maybe 3 billion. If demand is high and is generating a lot of interest, and if the game remains stable and under control, it could reduce to around half a billion after another few months.

In the worst case, where carriers are received as white elephants and nobody wants one, or they have a large effect on the stability or BGS, then the price will stay high.
On the other hand, if carriers are greeted as a trophy only the elite can aspire to, its function may be best served if it remains expensive.

The more use it is, the higher the price. We will grind harder for it and so the price has to be higher if only a certain number can be allowed to exist. If it becomes a QoL workhorse and a valuable addition to life and the lore, then it can be brought down to a level where anyone can afford it. On the other hand, if it only costs 500 million, people will start asking why they can't have two.
I'd hate to be the guy that drops 13B on one, only to have to price drop to 500M (or even 1B) in a few months... :oops:

Interesting to see if you can drive it yourself however,
1. If not, who drives it? Is it worth wasting all your credits if you cannot fly it yourself?
2. What will the cost be to purchase it? Probably a ridiculous amount far out of the reaches of many Cmdrs.
3. What other ridiculous amount of grinding is required to get that special fuel to enable the carrier to jump?

For me, I'm still waiting for the Panther to turn up... As for the Fleet Carrier, unless I can fly it, can afford it and can refuel it without the grinding that appears to be the means for obtaining right fuel to make it jump, I'll just stick to the ships I can fly.

Mind you I could be utterly wrong about all of this.

That's a risk we already take in a long jump range ship, but I can guarantee, once we have worked out the mechanics of being "lost" there are people who will sacrifice thier FC just to have the bragging rights of having gone further than anyone else has ever been, even if they couldn't have the bodies tagged with their name, unless the FC has UC built in, but I can't see that being a thing....maybe.

1. If not, who drives it? Is it worth wasting all your credits if you cannot fly it yourself?
Allready confirmed in the first post,
You dont "drive"or "Fly" it, You set a System target and jump from galaxy map, instantly set on the map and it jumps or you can set a day and Time for it to jump and heres the big point... you can do this at any time at any point even with out being on the ship any were in the galaxy... full remote controll on the jump.
3. What other ridiculous amount of grinding is required to get that special fuel to enable the carrier to jump?
Credits allow you to buy fuel.... skipping the fuel grind this is why even those with billions have started to grind a few more billions of credits in the hope that the buying of fuel will avoid the grind of mining the new item...
Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom