Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Strange.... I can still switch between controller and kb/m at will! controller interface does suck though.....consolitis of the worst kind. Along with lack of multiple saves per game session.
Yeah. That's strange. Oh, well, considering that past couple of weeks when one person can play and another can't even start the game it somehow doesn't surprise me. I haven't changed anything on my computer and it was working fine last week.... but loo and behold, now the "X" for tag works though. Win some, lose some. 😄

Update:

Today, or rather now in the early morning drinking my first coffee for the day and after restarting the machine... uh... it works again. No problem using controller starting NMS from Steam normal mode and switch between them... What the heck happened the last couple of days. I couldn't even touch the mouse without screwing it up and now it's fine!?!? The computer had a two-day cold or something... 🤪

Last edited:
Same here - I can still swap between kb/m and xBox controller without issue - the xBox controller works well for flying, and is the only way I could (haven't tried recently) get head-movement in flight.
Dang. I'm jealous. I preferred using mouse for mining and combat, so it's annoying it's not working.

And on top of that, to make it work I have to start Steam in Big Picture mode to get NMS even register to use the controller at start. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't Steam that's messing it up somehow.

EDIT: Does anyone know what the difference is between placing starship technology in technology slots and general slots? (I've only just realised I can move them from general to technology, freeing up a bit of inventory space.
No difference besides giving you more storage space. --edit: Merkir is right above, I forgot you can split tech modules (at least some, had some issues with some other in the past) and double up upgrades.

I'm so happy they added the "move" function.

I'm crossing my fingers, but I think (hope) that I've solved the routine crashes I was experiencing.

In the GAMEDATA folder there is a SHADERCACHE folder. Mine had 2,408 files in it, of wildly differing ages. Having renamed it away I have a new SHADERCACHE folder with zero files, and (so far) no crashes.

I'm playing in VR and started a new game in Permadeath. 20 hours in. Had a couple of close calls, but still going strong. Creating a base at the top of a spire-like mountain within visual range of a holo transmitter and trading post. Quite the view!

New
I'm crossing my fingers, but I think (hope) that I've solved the routine crashes I was experiencing.

In the GAMEDATA folder there is a SHADERCACHE folder. Mine had 2,408 files in it, of wildly differing ages. Having renamed it away I have a new SHADERCACHE folder with zero files, and (so far) no crashes.
Not sure if it has effect on crashes or not, because new Vulkan api does not use shadercache at all if I’m not mistaken.

No way! That's crazy.

Is 2^11 shaders the limit for their engine or something? It's not a Windows limit, is it?

hmmm I'm not liking the power and wiring additions to bases......hope they drop that next update, looks crap and is a faff....then again power is ok it's just the wires...do it like subnautica.
Yeah, and I finally found a electromagnetic spot. So there you have the main power source for your base, and then you have a gas and/or mineral extraction units on the opposite side of the base. Lines crossing all over in the air.

I'm thinking of making a couple of high power lines if possible. Put them on some tall building structure. Don't like them cutting through hills and trees and such.

I have just started . Am new to the game and I guess I feel a bit like new elite players do . It is great fun but really not sure what I am doing. I can't open crates as I don't have an atlas's pass and my inventory is full and have not even a 1st clue about crafting.
I am next to a massive wrecked ship which is incredible in VR. I don't know whether to try to move on (it's only my 2nd planet) or whether it is worth going to all the points of interest with knowledge stones or what ever they are, or are they just like USSes in elite in that they keep on appearing and are not really important.
It's definitely a keeper however it is very good

Just stick to the Artemis quest, it will walk you through all the basics of the game. And remember you can view all the side missions you have and switch your mission focus in the menus, the bottom right will always have helpful information for your active quest.

On a different note, here's a very useful site that I've used quite a bit in the past for different refinery combinations: https://www.nomansskyrecipes.com/index.html
Hi. This could be really useful however a few questions. The small refiner it does not seem to have much point. Carbon is super common or at least on the planets I am on so is there any point "refining" all the plants? Also refining oxygen into carbon?.
I guess I am missing something but not sure what use the small refiner has.
Thans

Hi. This could be really useful however a few questions. The small refiner it does not seem to have much point. Carbon is super common or at least on the planets I am on so is there any point "refining" all the plants? Also refining oxygen into carbon?.
I guess I am missing something but not sure what use the small refiner has.
Thans

The portable refiner is very useful, once you get into mining Copper and other minerals (you need a terrain manipulator for that, comes as one of the starter missions). Refining Copper gives you Chromatic Metal, which is essential for building several things. You can also create Pure Ferrite out of Ferrite Dust, and then Magnetised Ferrite out of Pure Ferrite. Each blueprint you acquire has different requirements of each to build, and you can use the portable refiner for most of it.

Carbon is the fuel. You can create Condensed Carbon if you like (it's needed for some things) but if you don't need to, don't bother.

Agree with mossfoot above. Stick to the Artemis (and then Space Anomaly) quests, and they will guide you through the early game. And experiment! Feel free to get sidetracked. But those questlines unlock the blueprints that allow you to go further, as well as help you understand the game.

Good luck, traveller.

Thanks commanders. I always said no VR no buy and I am glad I waited . There seems to be heaps to do... And only cost £18

Credit where credit's due. Hello Games have put a huge amount of play/content into this game, and now VR. I'm up to 65 hours on my main save and hardly touched some areas like exocraft, base building (just started), industry/agriculture. It's got something for everyone. Do it all, or just do the parts you like.

I'm crossing my fingers, but I think (hope) that I've solved the routine crashes I was experiencing....

Many hours later...... still zero crashes................. sssssshhuuuuuuusssssh!

(...fingers still crossed...)

EDIT - many many hours later.... still no crashes...... zero....... over way more hours than would normally produce many crashes.... YAY!

Last edited:
Top Bottom