Newcomer / Intro Noob questions, Player with Neutral Status?

Additional question, about the Raider parts set/paint - how much it can do to overall perfomance, latency, graphics... can it choke the game due to excessive number of parts in different shape attached everywhere?

The set looks really cool and I think about purchase, as I like the "reavers" style, but only if that's not too much for my PC (i5 3470, GTX660 Ti, 8 GB, HDD, High settings, generally no issues or slow-downs).

Last edited:
Additional question, about the Raider parts set/paint - how much it can do to overall perfomance, latency, graphics... can it choke the game due to excessive number of parts in different shape attached everywhere?

The set looks really cool and I think about purchase, as I like the "reavers" style, but only if that's not too much for my PC (i5 3470, GTX660 Ti, 8 GB, HDD, High settings, generally no issues or slow-down now)
I've never heard of any performance hit of the ship kits.

At worst, I guess it could cost you one FPS in camera suite, but in normal gameplay it shouldn't have any effect.

Today I'd like to ask about countermeasures for I think utilities section. I saw many different builds that put there two shield boosters for an obvious reason. Also I saw maybe a single build with anti missile passive system there (I think it was a Cobra MkIII pirate build, with a manifest scanner). I wonder, is the anti-missile system generally not much effective against rocket projectiles or maybe NPCs or players generally don't use that kind of weaponry, or don't use too often?

Today I'd like to ask about countermeasures for I think utilities section. I saw many different builds that put there two shield boosters for an obvious reason. Also I saw maybe a single build with anti missile passive system there (I think it was a Cobra MkIII pirate build, with a manifest scanner). I wonder, is the anti-missile system generally not much effective against rocket projectiles or maybe NPCs or players generally don't use that kind of weaponry, or don't use too often?

I always fit a Point Defence Turret (PDT) on a utility slot, two if I am in a ship with four tiny hardpoints (one for front and above one for below and behind). Fitting a PDT underneath also provides protection against hatch-breaker limpets. I have seen lots of NPCs using missiles and also some using mines, the PDT is good against both.

I never fit an ECM unit - I found it too cumbersome and time-consuming to use properly - maybe others have better opinions.

Chaff - never go into combat without a Chaff dispenser fitted (it isn't really chaff as it works against thermal sensors not radar) - so for me a minimum fit is chaff and PDT.

Heatsinks can be used to break an opponent's target-lock on you - you see NPCs use them a lot for that reason. To me there is not enough ammo for that to be a normal usage.

I don't do PvP - so if that is your focus, you need someone else to advise on counter-measures in that style of play.

Ok, so the Point Defence Turret and Chaff then, thx for tips :). I play Solo, also no PvPing.

I noticed yesterday an interesting behaviour of the "lawless" NPCs harrasing ships around asteroids in Hot Spot.
Because similar ships destroyed me lately when I was flying Adder Miner, now in Cobra Mk3 with medium equipment I was looking for some revenge. I spotted a pair of "lawless" Clipper (elite) with Eagle (mostly harmless). The Clipper scanned me first and left alone with disrespectful words, but when the Eagle started to scan me I run away on haste out of it's range. I wasn't aware the Eagle will follow me to complete scanning and in fact it did :oops:, so after several kilometers it sudenly appeared out of the asteroids. No Clipper around, it was alone, so a good chance for easy kill, and he died in few shots. My first kill in game, since so far was doing just the mining, trading and scanning.

I found this extremely interesting because it shows kind of humanity in the machine (ghost in the shell). Before the Eagle pilot died... he scanned me and wanted to fly away, was very self-confident, but I followed him and deployed my hardpoints... then he immediately stopped and turned his guns into my direction, I also stopped and from now on we were just pointing our guns to eachother for a good few minutes. He didn't run away, he didn't start shooting first, was just waiting for what will happen. After I opened fire, after few seconds later he was no more self-confident, AI apparently "realised" it doesn't stand a chance and wrote a desperate message, something about "he know well when he is about to die".
I know it's programmed but that behaviour is so human, so well designed. AI is properly reacting, avoiding fight but ready to fight in the same time. It's amazing and the moment really is special. Hope there is more such moments in game.

Last edited:
I agree with ParaHandy about the ECM- too cumbersome for me to use. I think it has some application in Thargoid fighting, and may have an application in PvP - neither of which I enjoy sufficiently to spend enough time on it to learn how to use the ECM.

Point defense - usually yes. It saves you from missiles and mines, and is indispensible for the Guardian misisons (in the latter case, on the top utility slots of a small ship, to protect your SRV from the Guardian missiles).

Chaff - only for small ships. It breaks target lock, but if you fly something the size and agility of a football stadium, it really doesn't matter if your enemy can use automated targeting or not, they'll hit you anyway. But on small ships, it's essential - the only thing that can really mess you up are turrets, and chaff prevents them from locking on.

Heatsinks - only on special builds that rely on stealth. If I have an empty slot, I'll tack them onto an exploration ship - just in the case you drop out of SC in a hot place and need them to prevent major damage to your ship. But also stock up on synthesis materials for them; unfrotunately, heatsink synthesis requires manufactured materials, which aren't available outside of inhabited space.

Shield boosters - depends on the build. In their case, with engineering, almost all sizes have their merits. D-rated heavy duty engineered will yield 2/3 of A-rated HD, (57% against 74%), at one third the mass and power consumption (4t and 0.63 MW against 14t and 1.5 MW). And resistance engineering is independent of booster rating.

Note that Lawless is the description of any Ship in an Anarchy no matter what there level of criminality elsewhere, if you are out in your SRV (& I presume Ship Launched Fighter) and target your ship you will see it too is Lawless.

As the others I don’t use ECM because it requires me to charge and trigger it and by the time I have done that the missile/torpedo/whatever has probably hit.
Point Defence Turrets are great, they do really well and all I have to do is install them.
The downside to shield boosters is that they mean your shields take longer to recover, of course they use energy and add mass but almost everything does that.
I will include heat sinks given spare slots but use them mainly for cooling an overheating situation rather than for stealth reasons.

I will still fit a Kill Warrant Scanner firstly for the additional bounties I can acquire via the Interstellar Factors and secondly the time the scan takes let’s me confirm I am on a valid target.

Today few screenshots and maybe weird questions.

1. Stocked single pc. Biowaste at lowest price (I guess should be the highest if it's almost no stock), with a kind notice "HIGH SUPPLY IN THIS MARKET..." :rolleyes:
Is it a bug or just have to reload the game?

2. How to undestand that the same collected data from mapped planets, have different values in different ports (both ports in -20 LY so can't sell)? :unsure:
Curious that the price for Alisonworld data is the same in both ports (should be higher in Ross Colony, right?)...why?

3. I got a message that I was first to discover some bodies, but I'm sure I wasn't the first, because I still didn't find any virgin system, without seeing everywhere this "first discovered/mapped by x player", so why I got that screen? :unsure:

Last edited:
3) Depending on distance from the arrival point and the relative location in the system to the jump marker some bodies don’t get scanned or mapped especially if the explorer is in a hurry to get somewhere, also some explorers only scan and map bodies that have a high value and some will leave something for the next explorer to claim.

1) in a small colony, even one ton could be high supply (ok, seriously - IIRC the "high supply" indicates how fast the stuff gets replenished).
2) is strange... only thing I could see here is that the price dropped within two hours on a Sunday evening. My best guess would be a database issue, marking those planets incorrectly as "first mapped" for you

1. Ok, so in this economy the unit price on the production planets doesn't change when they have shortages in production, so the price is +/- stable no matter the stock?
It's just very strange that the production price with single piece was even lower than the other comparable listed production sources showed on the right panel.

2. So a system malfunction; but it means if I'm getting that high values I should make haste 20+ LY to a nearest dock and sell these coordinates a.s.a.p., right?
Because I can't predict if they won't change in time and drastically cut my payout. Here I lost 1 milion credits :(.

3. Ok, that would mean that even being so close to the Sol I actually was first in scanning - interesting :sneaky:.
But then another issue, after what kind of action this "being the first" is marked and visible on the system map for all players? In a moment I sell my discoveries to the Cartographics?

4. Extra question about mapping planets - I noticed that if I make the mapping with only 6 quickly deployed probes, I get a system message about getting some bonus on efficiency. Please advise what this bonus is and what is gives in numbers? I also see that bonus is mentioned on the official Planet Scanning Payouts table, where the values include this bonus.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's probably what I was looking for: mappingMultiplier *= (withEfficiencyBonus) ? 1.25 : 1;
I'm not good in those weird calculations, so I better think about efficiency bonus giving me +25% extra credits :sneaky:.

This is also very interesting: It also seems there is a bonus of 1000 per body for fully scanning a system, and another bonus of 10000 per mappable body for fully mapping a system.
Because so far I was following the rule to scan only valuable worlds without the majority of Icy Bodies, now I'll be trying to scan them all, if per full system means the Icy gives a multiple of 11.000 cr. Still short on credits so every penny counts :).

I have an issue with transporter ships, can't decide on the next step. I fly a Cobra Mk3, fitted to casual travel, a bit of combat, exploration, trading and mining. Once I get a profitable opportunity I take it by just switching modules. This ship is so versatile... So why would I need a trading ship?
The Cobra can have ~60 max cargo and can defend itself, while this Type-6 Transporter seems completely defensless and only doubles the cargo capacity of Cobra.

I compared these: Cobra Mk. III, Type-6 Transporter and Keelback.
I'd expect from a transporter worth 3,5 milion credits (with proper modules) at least 100 or 200 extra tons of cargo space. Why it only has 112 max if it's designed for trading without any weapons? :unsure:

Then the Keelback and Cobra, the Keelback looks more tanky (better shield and armour) but I don't see much pros for it as a trader or miner, it's slower and costs 10x more than a Cobra. What I'm missing, what justifies this 10x expensiveness?

I use this website for comparison stats.

PS. I consider Type-6 mainly because it has an amazingly cute&bulky external design, I'd like to fly it, if it was more capacious :sneaky:.

Last edited:
and only doubles the cargo capacity of Cobra.

ONLY ?!? That doubles your profits !

Keelback is an odd ship. 1st Armoured Trader, maybe 1st Pirating Vessel, maybe a honey trap to "surprise" a stupid Pirate (which is what FD originally intimated it might be used for).
The interesting thing about a Keelback, is that it can carry a SLF !

Last edited:
I'd expect from a transporter worth 3,5 milion credits (with proper modules) at least 100 or 200 extra tons of cargo space. ........

I told you before about projecting your "expectations" on the game. The game is what it is, learn it, adapt to it and if you want to suggest changes there is a forum for that.

ONLY ?!? That doubles your profits !
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, I'm just an oldschool pilot from the X-Universe, there a cargo ship must have at least a thousand cargo capacity to make a decent profit on a single run :rolleyes:. Here in ED I must somehow accept the fact that comparable cargo ships have relatively small capacities.

Okay I guess those ships and generally the game are mainly designed for the missions from bulletin, not an ordinary trading with commodities.
Because with those small capacities so far I can't see much profit in buying item for 300, and selling for 550, and earning 25k cr on full cargo and long travel. I accept these rules, just have to get used to them... And I only saw a single opportunity when a purchase price was 300 and it was selling for 4500 cr elsewhere - that I call a real trading, but then I'm not sure if maybe it wasn's a bug :).

.........., just have to get used to them... And I only saw a single opportunity when a purchase price was 300 and it was selling for 4500 cr elsewhere - that I call a real trading, but then I'm not sure if maybe it wasn's a bug :).

Well that is not a bug and is one of the trade opportunities that people look out for - find a system in outbreak and bring-in basic medicines. There are others for you to find - military grade fabrics, polymers, etc - just a case of watching for system states and learning to use the trading tools that people have created as well as those in-game.

Currently there is a "gold rush" on void opal deep core mining and Paininte double-hotspot laser mining so if you don't want to haul Imperial Slaves or hunt for trade-conditions, you could try learning how to go explody-asteroid-mining. ;)

Top Bottom