General / Off-Topic Sticks & Stones

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
People are ever more worried what other people say:

“Nearly all applicants for US visas will have to submit their social media details under newly adopted rules.

The State Department regulations say people will have to submit social media names and five years' worth of email addresses and phone numbers.”

So much for freedom of speech.

Watching this now. Have not seen Sticks and Stones yet.

I wonder how Boyle's Last Days of Sodom would go. :unsure:

EDIT: Got about half way through. They got into that podcast thing where they say the same thing over and over and I can only take so much of that. More of a critique of style than content, but there you go.

I'm not comfortable at all with the idea of a "Cancel Culture." First time I've heard that phrase. Comedians gonna comedian. In fact, I see them as the modern equivalent of the prophets of old saying the uncomfortable truths the rest of us can't or won't.

I'm not transsexual either, so I can't really say how I'd take the joke. As a person from a white, male middle class US Midwestern background I do laugh my butt off at jokes of which I'm the butt of. It's good to be self aware and have a sense of humor. That said, I hardly have any real idea what the transsexual experience is like but I suspect there are more than a few transsexual people that enjoyed the show.

No group being a monolith, after all. I may investigate those voices and post about it.

Last edited:
In England few years back there was a comedian named Bernard Manning - the scourge of the PC brigade - when asked why he was so prejudiced he said

"I'm not prejudiced - I hate everybody".

Made me laugh at the time, and the last 30 years or so I've been saddened by the onward march of Politically Correct Fascism and its effect on free speech everywhere.

I realized the reason I haven't seen this show is because I don't really enjoy Dave Chappelle. Never tickled my knickers, as it were.

That said, I'm reminded of a show I did really enjoy. Nanette, by Hannah Gadsby, is quite good. It's on Netflix. Heartfelt and very funny show about all sorts of things including her life as a lesbian.

Point is, I like it because the topics she speaks on she's actually lived. I probably wouldn't laugh very hard at Chappelle's stuff here.

I realized the reason I haven't seen this show is because I don't really enjoy Dave Chappelle. Never tickled my knickers, as it were.

That said, I'm reminded of a show I did really enjoy. Nanette, by Hannah Gadsby, is quite good. It's on Netflix. Heartfelt and very funny show about all sorts of things including her life as a lesbian.

Point is, I like it because the topics she speaks on she's actually lived. I probably wouldn't laugh very hard at Chappelle's stuff here.
I loved Nanette as a performance because I found it emotionally moving, but it stops being comedy and pretty much turns into a TED talk by about the ⅓ mark. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to laugh. It also requires your full attention and isn't something you will get much out of if you for example have it on in the background. Dave Chapelle by comparison will have me laughing from two rooms away while I'm cleaning the house or reorganizing my filing cabinet.

I loved Nanette as a performance because I found it emotionally moving, but it stops being comedy and pretty much turns into a TED talk by about the ⅓ mark. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to laugh. It also requires your full attention and isn't something you will get much out of if you for example have it on in the background. Dave Chapelle by comparison will have me laughing from two rooms away while I'm cleaning the house or reorganizing my filing cabinet.

See, we put stuff like Nanette on in the background all the time! We're deep into it right now and laughing our butts off.

Have you seen Daniel Sloss' Dark or Jigsaw? It's the most wickedly funny comedy I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I consider it the same kind of stuff as Nanette.

Anyway, to get back to the topic at hand my wife and I have been discussing this intently. For me, in the end I just don't care if Chappelle said things that upset transsexual people or that all kinds of people are giving him a hard time because of it. What matters to me is how I treat transsexuals in my day to day life.

Who's Chappelle anyway to me? Some dude that said something stupid and upset people. Looks like free speech in action, to be honest.

Last edited:
I'm not a giant fan of stand up comedy in the first place, but my position is that it should definitely be protected free speech; everybody deserves to have some fun poked at them at some point or other. The stuff about Rotten Tomatoes is like a whole other issue, really, very much worth discussing.

Is the show getting bombed on that platform?
Yeah, at first it was restricted to a small handful of approved critics who gave it a 0%, and then when it was finally opened to user reviews it received a whopping 99% positive reviews. Since then a few marginally positive reviews from approved critics have dribbled in, but apparently it's official score is still ridiculously low compared to the average Joe watching and reviewing.

Yeah, at first it was restricted to a small handful of approved critics who gave it a 0%, and then when it was finally opened to user reviews it received a whopping 99% positive reviews. Since then a few marginally positive reviews from approved critics have dribbled in, but apparently it's official score is still ridiculously low compared to the average Joe watching and reviewing.

Interesting!

I don't trust the average Joe and I don't trust the approved critic either. The fight is amusing though.

Some more thoughts. When it comes to free speech, I think we're probably working as advertised because it's not like (I hope?) the government is stepping in and deciding what is and isn't acceptable speech and backing that up with force.

Comedian says something. Someone doesn't like it and speaks their mind. Folks speak their mind in return. Stuff gets sorted, hopefully, though it can uncomfortable.
That's OK, though.

Interesting!

I don't trust the average Joe and I don't trust the approved critic either. The fight is amusing though.

Some more thoughts. When it comes to free speech, I think we're probably working as advertised because it's not like (I hope?) the government is stepping in and deciding what is and isn't acceptable speech and backing that up with force.

Comedian says something. Someone doesn't like it and speaks their mind. Folks speak their mind in return. Stuff gets sorted, hopefully, though it can uncomfortable.
That's OK, though.
I would say that enforcing the use of preferred gender pronouns through governmental force qualifies as the Government stepping in. Already a thing in Canada, and heading that way here.

That's the one.

Edit: scroll down to the Jordan Peterson section near the bottom of the page to understand what I mean.

I was just going to ask what your issue was with it. Thanks for anticipating my question.

Naturally, I've got zero expertise in Canadian law so hey ho that's fine we're just people talking anyway. That said, from what I read there I don't see any major problem with it. Peterson's critique really seems like a stretch, especially when the article explains the change like this:

The law amends the Canadian Human Rights Act by adding "gender identity or expression" as a prohibited ground of discrimination.[7]That makes it illegal to deny services, employment, accommodation and similar benefits to individuals based on their gender identity or gender expression to matters within federal jurisdiction, such as the federal government, federal services to the public, or a federally regulated industry.[8] A person who denies benefits because of the gender identity or gender expression of another person could be liable to provide monetary reimbursement.

Most relevant bit bolded for clarity. What exactly does Peterson think would happen?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom