General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"Recycle". - it's a really a bit of an unpleasant business. It's something the consumer has to do, and it's their fault if they don't. But the thing is, companies determine the condition and methods by which something will be sold. I never got a choice as to whether I bought soft drinks in glass bottles or plastic ones. One day in the 80s, when I was a kid, we suddenly started to get plastic soda bottles. I never asked for it, and neither did anyone I know. But it's apparently my job to ensure it's recycled. Which is something over which I have no control once I put it in the correct bin. I'd happily take a re-usable bottle to the store to buy soda & the fact that soda fountains exist in practically every fast-food outlet in the developed world states that it could be sold that way. However, the companies don't want to - possibly because then it would be unbranded & I wouldn't be walking around with their brand on my bottle. Which then becomes my problem to recycle and everyone's problem if I don't.

But - what is this talk of recycling? isn't it better to either re-use something or simply go without it? - recycling is often a way for us to attach a earning potential to re-using things. Some things do need recycling (that is, remanufacturing) in order to be useful again. But many things can just be re-used "as is", perhaps after a wash. No, the message for recyling is "give it back to us (after we sold it to you) and we'll sell it to you again later".

For me. The whole creed of "recycle" is being over-sold and it should instead say "re-use". But. Nobody makes money when you do that, so it won't happen.

Wow Robin. This is a sick assessment of Thomas Midgley.

Look up the lead-crime theory. The data from every city in every country demonstrates the 20 year lag between removal of tetraethyl lead, and the drop in violent crime.

If you're over 40 and lived in a city, Midgely poisoned you too. He capped your performance at school, reduced your IQ, increased your anxieties, limited your earnings, and shortened your life. If you were borderline, you got tipped into crime, or failed to pass exams and became a blue collar worker, or became a bady performing white collar one.

If you were black, Midgely helped increase society's racism against you, blocked your chance to get a better education, or a home in a safer place.

The spinoff effects regarding bad public policies like the Iraq war, failure to advance science as we should, broken marriages, infertility in young girls, and the US opioid crisis secondary to the Afghan invasion, secondary to electing GWB- all due to the lower population IQ, thanks to Midgely.

He's STILL killing people, and affecting their lives.

Look up the lead-crime theory. The data from every city in every country demonstrates the 20 year lag between removal of tetraethyl lead, and the drop in violent crime.

If you're over 40 and lived in a city, Midgely poisoned you too. He capped your performance at school, reduced your IQ, increased your anxieties, limited your earnings, and shortened your life. If you were borderline, you got tipped into crime, or failed to pass exams and became a blue collar worker, or became a bady performing white collar one.

If you were black, Midgely helped increase society's racism against you, blocked your chance to get a better education, or a home in a safer place.

The spinoff effects regarding bad public policies like the Iraq war, failure to advance science as we should, broken marriages, infertility in young girls, and the US opioid crisis secondary to the Afghan invasion, secondary to electing GWB- all due to the lower population IQ, thanks to Midgely.

He's STILL killing people, and affecting their lives.
Indirectly, perhaps, but I choose not to use your yardstick.

Thats the same yardstick you can use for the guy that invented tobacco and killed all those people. Damn, -any dictator of your choice- (a recent one did spring to mind but I deleted the name due to potential sensitivity of this forum) was a saint in comparison

It could not possibly BE more direct, than the man with the patent for the chemical, sick with it himself, covering up the deaths in his own factory & lab, in order to poison the planet for profit,

But considering your other "heroes", he's probably what you hold up as a saint, while the REAL villians are the people who got poisoned, and the scientifically literate who point it out.

It could not possibly BE more direct, than the man with the patent for the chemical, sick with it himself, covering up the deaths in his own factory & lab, in order to poison the planet for profit,

But considering your other "heroes", he's probably what you hold up as a saint, while the REAL villians are the people who got poisoned, and the scientifically literate who point it out.
I'm thinking that refrigeration was pretty significant for mankind, actually. How about the environmentalists who are directly responsible for shutting down the production of DDT which subsequently led (and is ongoing) to the deaths and suffering of tens of millions of people around the planet, is it okay to go after them using the same rational?

I'm thinking that refrigeration was pretty significant for mankind, actually. How about the environmentalists who are directly responsible for shutting down the production of DDT which subsequently led (and is ongoing) to the deaths and suffering of tens of millions of people around the planet, is it okay to go after them using the same rational?

Did they lie, falsify information, and profit from the use of the patent? He did.

Did they cover up the deaths in their own labs? He did.

Did they find multiple safe cheap alternatives like ethanol, but never publish that because they wanted the $$? He did.

A 2011 study by the California State University found that "Ridding the world of leaded petrol, with the United Nations leading the effort in developing countries, has resulted in $2.4 trillion in annual benefits, 1.2 million fewer premature deaths, higher overall intelligence and 58 million fewer crimes", according to the United Nations News Centre.[55] The executive director of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Achim Steiner argued that "Although this global effort has often flown below the radar of [the] media and global leaders, it is clear that the elimination of leaded petrol is an immense achievement on par with the global elimination of major deadly diseases."

I was wrong. It wasn't hundreds of thousands of crimes, it was tens of millions.

My country is of course not spared. Previous administrations brought in Rudi Guiliani to advise them how to copy his success reducing crime in NYC.
Neither Rudi nor my government had a flippin clue.

It was 20 years after the lead was removed. He just happened to be mayor at the right time.

Last edited:

Refrigeration has nothing to do with leaded fuel and I doubt DDT is the only insecticide available...

Refrigeration has nothing to do with leaded fuel and I doubt DDT is the only insecticide available...
You're getting hung up on one thing in your usual attempt at trolling me. Freon, and other chemicals that Midgely was responsible for, WERE used in refrigeration which just like modern transportation via the combustion engine were pretty damned handy for the human race. Instead of seeing a post by me and going into a troll rage, try reading and thinking about what I write.

You're getting hung up on one thing in your usual attempt at trolling me. Freon, and other chemicals that Midgely was responsible for, WERE used in refrigeration which just like modern transportation via the combustion engine were pretty damned handy for the human race. Instead of seeing a post by me and going into a troll rage, try reading and thinking about what I write.

I'm adressing the relevant points, Robin mostly talked about leaded fuels and so did I but if that's your twisted definition of trolling then so be it, you still haven't convinced the mods though lol.

I'm adressing the relevant points, Robin mostly talked about leaded fuels and so did I but if that's your twisted definition of trolling then so be it, you still haven't convinced the mods though lol.
I never go to the mods. And try reading up on Midgley. Because what you're pulling now is just boring and tedious. I have no interest in shutting you up, but sweet tap dancing baby Jesus it would sure be a nice change of pace if you actually said something original and interesting.

Last edited:
I never go to the mods. And try reading up on Midgley. Because what you're pulling now is just boring and tedious. I have no interest in shutting you up, but sweet tap dancing baby Jesus it would sure be a nice change of pace if you actually said something original and interesting.

I'm not your clown, if you don't like what I write, don't read it, also, I already read about him.

I'm not your clown, if you don't like what I write, don't read it, also, I already read about him.
Quit acting like it then.

While Robin wants to paint him as the greatest criminal to walk the Earth, I was simply pointing out that his contributions had many upsides for humanity, too, not the least of which was refrigeration.

Quit acting like it then.

While Robin wants to paint him as the greatest criminal to walk the Earth, I was simply pointing out that his contributions had many upsides for humanity, too, not the least of which was refrigeration.

Hello kids, today is a special day as it's the birthday of Brian, to celebrate we will discuss rhetoric and leaded gasoline.

Yeah, never seen a clown say that, if they did I'm sure they'd run out of job lol.

Prince Harry (!!) continues to surprise:

'Prince Harry: Protecting nature 'may sound hippy' but is vital':

Protecting nature is "fundamental to our survival" and should not be dismissed as "hippy", the Duke of Sussex has said.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Prince Harry said humanity needs to beat "greed, apathy and selfishness" to guarantee its survival in the world.

He said it is essential to "co-exist", and learn from mistakes "to protect the world's most valuable assets".

This is exactly what Telegraph readers need to hear imho ;) I'm still in part shock that Prince Harry has decided to become an environmental warrior, but we need more people like him have the penny drop on just how close to the brink we all really are, it's progress and it gives us a small chance to make the changes we need to in time to stop self-extinction.

Prince Harry (!!) continues to surprise:

'Prince Harry: Protecting nature 'may sound hippy' but is vital':

This is exactly what Telegraph readers need to hear imho ;) I'm still in part shock that Prince Harry has decided to become an environmental warrior, but we need more people like him have the penny drop on just how close to the brink we all really are, it's progress and it gives us a small chance to make the changes we need to in time to stop self-extinction.
It's very good that the Prince is investing in it.

But he shows the example ? I guess that he still uses big cars, his private jet, and his jet ski when he's on an island ?

It's very good that more and more celebrities are reacting, but if it's just to tell others to make an effort, it's not very fair.

Is the Prince and all these elites from around the world willing to use small cars ? To limit much their flight by plane toward other countries, using the video conference ?

It would already be a first step.

Last edited:
It's very good that the Prince is investing in it.

But he shows the example ? I guess that he still uses big cars, his private jet, and his jet ski when he's on an island ?

It's very good that more and more celebrities are reacting, but if it's just to tell others to make an effort, it's not very fair.

Is the Prince and all these elites from around the world willing to use small cars ? To limit much their flight by plane toward other countries, using the video conference ?

It would already be a first step.

Im simply amazed at the falling inline and instep to people who care very little about its own Country and sovereignty... yet they call to protect nature??
how is Nature more important than people of their own country?
Some people just get caught up hook line and sinker with the virtue signalling from either celebs or high-profile elites!!
SMH

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom