[Video] Open letter from community to Elite Dangerous

No no... we asked for better communication on things like roadmaps and were exactly told that they would be communicating LESS about roadmaps so that they wouldn't have to deal with our disappointment when they miss the deliverable AND so they get more punch out of their marketing of what they plan on delivering.

Zac clarified that. They can't give specifics before they are sure of the specifics (including when they'll be ready) due to people melting down when things inevitably get changed. We all know that's exactly what happens here.

Their new content reveal strategy is a very big thing for them as they rely on one off payments when we all buy in. So stop scrutinizing patch notes and other obscure stuff for secret messages re the next DLC as it isn't going to be there, wait for a funky cinematic trailer widely announced and reviewed in gaming publications (probably IMO).

If you don't have a problem with that then you're really not helping anyone.

I know a game that I really like from a company whose stuff I really like is getting a paid expansion in 2020. It's a definite purchase for me and I don't mind waiting (or delays or changes).

Happy end user with realistic expectations.

As ever folks, we are all passionate about ED and the community around it. But, can we please remember to keep it civil and discuss the post and not the poster?

I've noticed a couple of more personal comments sneaking in and I'd prefer it of things were kept civil.

Thanks all.

If my “Alan Partridge” post above is guilty of this then yes, it wasn’t intended as a personal attack and could just as easily apply to any content creator failing to win FD’s attention.
It just struck me as funny, no offence or personal slight intended.

Yes, i've edited my post.

In short, i don't know, are you threatening to go dark if FD don't do what you want? Are you the "community ran channels" Zac referred to? Sounds more like youtube people to me, but its not clear.

I refer you to my original response to your good self :)

EDCD as a collective don't know much about this latest drama and I don't think we're planning to be involved either.

I'm pretty sure FDev are actually Number 10, Downing Street and Zac is in reality Esther McVey. Would explain a lot about the hot air they are releasing both verbally and in the code base of their game they really don't care about anymore.

I'm pretty sure FDev are actually Number 10, Downing Street and Zac is in reality Esther McVey. Would explain a lot about the hot air they are releasing both verbally and in the code base of their game they really don't care about anymore.

Is that the one with the new paid expansion coming ?. Seems an odd way of not caring.

I'd like more communication, who wouldn't, I'd also like betas, they are fun, and seemed to help a bit with the bug finding and even some minor design oversights.

I think it's a bit mental to get this demandy about it with the developers though.

Game devs get a bit too much vitriol thrown at them, in my opinion.

Communication? A chef doesn't need to communicate with his customers, he needs to communicate with his (or her) own taste buds, in other words, their own judgement, because they are the artists that know how to do it.

Test-server? No thanks, that gives power to the community with opinions and requests, and what i've seen of the community (at least those parts that are regularly vocal) makes me think i don't want them anywhere near development.

Balance? For the same reason, no. The amount of cool and fun games that the PvP community has killed with their demands for generic balance over the years, is legion. Unbalanced means fun and unique stuff for the PVE/single-player experience. Look at World of Warcraft, it used to be full of unbalanced and interesting abilities for very different characters, now thanks to PvP they are all the same, they just look different.

Frankly, all i care about is that the bugs aren't being fixed. This of course is just my opinion, i'm not saying i am objectively correct, but it's how i feel about it.

I agree for the most part, communication is important and certainly can be improved, everything else you said is spot on.

Yamiks, although I follow your videos, does not speak for me or I suspect the majority of the player base. We voice our opinions mostly with game time, not forum posts.

I'd like more communication, who wouldn't, I'd also like betas, they are fun, and seemed to help a bit with the bug finding and even some minor design oversights.

I think it's a bit mental to get this demandy about it with the developers though.

Game devs get a bit too much vitriol thrown at them, in my opinion.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, but this is a fairly telling article about exactly that in the wider field of gaming :

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
When I read the OP on the reddit thread I don’t read any vitriol at all. I think it was respectful and made valid points. Constructive criticism is not vitriol.

Just for the sake of clarity, I don't believe their post was vitriolic at all. I'm also very clear that it comes from a point of wanting to make things better and a frustration.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
I'm a big fan of traditions and I was already worried this year's end of summer/early fall "the community is on fire" Important Community Update might be running late (name not final).

Jokes aside though, seeing how regularly this happens, I don't think it can all be blamed on the community being toxic. I absolutely agree with Zac that the CM team (and all the others) are indeed working very hard, even in their own free time. But it's not always just about how hard you work and I think some processes could definitely be improved.

I don't quite agree with Zac on the communication part, because from a player's perspective it feels like every bit of news we get is a bit too vague.

Thanks Zimms, what parts of the communications did you not agree with specifically?

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
FD have responded via Zac. Both sides have had their say. Whether anything will change it remains to be seen, but i wouldn't expect much. Zac basically says they are doing their best and are generally happy with how they do things.

I think there's a little more to the reply then that. Some of the points are information and clarification, others (such as the bugs) are confirming that we didn't get it right and that we need to find a way to make it better.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
and it's free! oh, a
  • releases botched, ostensibly untested software
  • "our qa guys are doing an incredible effort. and it's free! oh, and, you 'influencers' ... thanks for all the fishes, you can stuff it"
  • smiles and gives himself a pat on the back

I think some of the key parts of that reply might have got missed.

Pats self on back

Top Bottom