Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

Is there a way to find trojan worlds using Observatory? These are worlds in different orbits around the star but at the same (or very similar distances - usually +/- 1 ls - from the star). They're not the double/triple/quadruple body systems shown in the system map. I think that'd be the ideal sort of thing for Observatory to look for since it's not really obvious from the system map. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/hunt-for-trojans.369380/
With custom criteria, no, not until I add the ability to check whole system data. It's possible as a built in but if we're not talking about values being literally identical to the full precision of the journal data then I'll need to know what the tolerances should be.

Ok, just installed it. I'm probably missing something extremely obvious here, but my output is completely empty. Are there any assumptions about the location of the executable or the player logs I'm not getting, as I can find no way to set the log location - and I somehow don't believe you can scan through 100 MB of logs that fast.

Ok, just installed it. I'm probably missing something extremely obvious here, but my output is completely empty. Are there any assumptions about the location of the executable or the player logs I'm not getting, as I can find no way to set the log location - and I somehow don't believe you can scan through 100 MB of logs that fast.
It first checks for logs in %userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous, but if none are found there should prompt for a location to use. If that's not where yours are and it's not asking then something is wrong. If that is where yours are then something still might be wrong, but it's less clear what. A sample of your log might help, but I don't know for sure yet where the problem is.

For reference, a full read of my ~70MB of logs with all built-in criteria enabled and no custom criteria takes about ten seconds.

It first checks for logs in %userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous, but if none are found there should prompt for a location to use. If that's not where yours are and it's not asking then something is wrong. If that is where yours are then something still might be wrong, but it's less clear what. A sample of your log might help, but I don't know for sure yet where the problem is.

For reference, a full read of my ~70MB of logs with all built-in criteria enabled and no custom criteria takes about ten seconds.

Ok, the location fits (should fit), at least for the currently logged in user (the others don't have an ED account). Scanning ~100MB however only takes ~2 seconds and doesn't return anything. Admittedly, C: is on an SSD, but the CPU isn't quite the latest (i5-4690K).
I've zipped a bunch of logs from DW2, these should contain at least something interesting - link via PM.

Ahhh... one vague idea about what could be special about my logs, which I haven't seen adressed yet: I'm running two CMDR accounts from the same Windows user account. EDDiscovery can split them by CMDR name (but then, EDD doesn't care too much about the logfiles but instead uses the game API - AFAIK), and EDMC also goes via the game API.

Ok, it works somewhat - but nevertheless, I think this really qualifies as "Wide Ring" - including two Shepherd moons. Wouldn't have checked if it weren't for EDO.

YAb0ouf.jpg

Lycanthrope in the Colonia Bubble.

Very nice!

As I've mentioned in PMs but repeating here for the benefit of all, I've been able to reproduce the failing "Read All Logs" issue myself and can hopefully get it figured out soon. For now, I guess if you want to read your existing logs just make sure it's the first thing you do when starting the program (which I assume is the case for most people, or I'd've probably heard about it before now).

I haven't had much of a chance to do some real-world testing yet (that is, exploring away from the bubble), just due to timing. But I've been getting some wide-ring alerts here and there in and near the bubble, so I've heard the text-to-speech come alive a few times. It's difficult to track what it's trying to tell me sometimes, just because of the complicated proc-gen system names. I was wondering if some simplification here might be useful.

For instance, maybe a body name like "Pru Euq SV-K d9-0 3 a" could be changed to say something like "Planet 3 a", by replacing the system name portion of the name with "planet" or "star" (as appropriate). Or just "body" if generic naming would be easier. This would be a good attention-grabber too, starting with a recognizable word.

Since I'm in VR, it's my only way of knowing that there's an alert, and yet it starts talking with all sorts of garbled-sounding stuff usually, just because of those system names. ;)

Thoughts?

I think I've found a bug ?

If I make it read all my journals, then go in and edit the settings (cos I don't want something to show), then click Read All Logs button again, it just blanks the content as expected, moves the green status bar across the bottom of the window, and then doesn't show anything once it's completed. I have to completely close the app and reopen it, then press the Read All Logs button to see the view as per the configured settings.

In other news, I'm absolutely loving this app, it's something that I run all the time now. It's a shame there's no Records API in EDSM, cos it'd be cool if you could have criteria that checked against the known records for a body (ie you just found a star larger than the record, or you just found the smallest planet).

I think I've found a bug ?

If I make it read all my journals, then go in and edit the settings (cos I don't want something to show), then click Read All Logs button again, it just blanks the content as expected, moves the green status bar across the bottom of the window, and then doesn't show anything once it's completed. I have to completely close the app and reopen it, then press the Read All Logs button to see the view as per the configured settings.

In other news, I'm absolutely loving this app, it's something that I run all the time now. It's a shame there's no Records API in EDSM, cos it'd be cool if you could have criteria that checked against the known records for a body (ie you just found a star larger than the record, or you just found the smallest planet).
Yeah, seems related to the one I found with Ashnak yesterday and mentioned here.

Will hopefully have a fix soon (this weekend?)

Yeah, pretty sure I have as well. Just need to figure out what I broke!

On the upside, Elite Observatory restarts very quickly. ;)

Exe not working in same WINE prefix as Elite. Actually I tried to start it while ED going.
any chance to make it extremely basic & just functional so it can work with Mono, for example?

Exe not working in same WINE prefix as Elite. Actually I tried to start it while ED going.
any chance to make it extremely basic & just functional so it can work with Mono, for example?
"Not working" is pretty vague, and it's already pretty basic in terms of how it works. Do you get any error in particular or does it just not launch?

"Not working" is pretty vague, and it's already pretty basic in terms of how it works. Do you get any error in particular or does it just not launch?
Just do not start. I may try to get more info, however that could crash elite, as it will restart wine.

Upd: ok, figured to launch it. As Elite was already running had to reconfigure Observer shortcut to match GPU settings to Elite ...so it was WINE problem.

Fast check - "Test" button disabled (for sound I guess?), checking "text to speech" makes exception & closes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom