Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

The update link did appear for me and it worked like a charm!

Feature request if I may - dark theme please! So it's easier on the eyes at night time and in VR. Would be greatly appreciated!
You're the second person to ask for a dark theme! I told the first person that I should be able to add it, then promptly forgot about it completely. :D

Stick it in alongside the other "near future" functionality. ;)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Nice one, thank you for being so responsive to us pesky users :D

You truly do an amazing job with this tool, I am finding many interesting places with it.

Awesome, this keeps getting better and better!

As an aside, I think this version is occasionally crashing or something. I've been leaving it running, and sometime later I discover it's not there anymore. I usually notice before starting my next play session, so I'm not sure if it's dying during play or sometime after I've shut down the game and walked away.

I'm just in the habit of keeping everything running all the time so I don't forget. ;) (alongside EDDiscovery and EDMC currently).

Well, "something is happening" will probably be pretty difficult to track down. 😉

Is it monitoring while you're away? I'll see what I can do to replicate. And you say previous versions stayed running just fine?

Nice!

but i got 2 questons:
1. what does this symbol "@" (between Body and Description) mean?
2. if there is object with "Multiple criteria met", how to check these criteria?

Awesome, this keeps getting better and better!

As an aside, I think this version is occasionally crashing or something. I've been leaving it running, and sometime later I discover it's not there anymore. I usually notice before starting my next play session, so I'm not sure if it's dying during play or sometime after I've shut down the game and walked away.

It was doing that in previous versions sometimes, I didn't worry about it much since it's still a work in progress, so it's not new to this version.

Thank you.
But is this an issue (see picture below)? The moon in the yellow circle is classified as "nested moon" :unsure:
It's a simple moon, not a moon of a moon.
agnaimtzn-ub22-4-agna7ijo7.jpg

@Orvidius @varonica Can you give me a ballpark on how long you leave it running before it disappears? I've left it going for about four hours now with monitoring enabled and it's still quietly just sitting there.

Hello,
Might I say that this app is giving me some nice information, well done, keep up the good work.
The need for a dark theme is on my list of want's too, I would like for this to use the Black/IOrange theme as it would sit quite nice with other apps using the base game colour scheme.

I would like to understand the lines :-
2019-10-04 17:40:41 - Synookie AV-G d10-1 AB 1 a a - Landable - Multiple criteria met - 2 Criteria Satisfied

I understand the info, but would like for elaboration, to understand what criteria.

Nuele HD-V c5-0 A 4 - Uninteresting

Now I understand the system name here and Body A4, now A4 is far from uninteresting, it's terraformable (THMC)
Are you planning to give 'Terraformables' a mention. Most explorers will want to scan every terraformable for credits at least.

Might have found something:
2019-09-29 15:45:40 - Synookie ZJ-R d4-4 B 3 - Landable - 5 out of 6 jumponium materials - Missing material: yttrium
This is a working theory

This system is the same but missing Arsenic:
Nuele MJ-T c6-0 A 2 - Uninteresting

However 8 materials make up Jumponium, for Basic, Standard and Premium:
CarbonVanadiumGermaniumCadmiumNiobiumArsenicYttriumPolomium

Are you able to check yourself and confirm please.

Well, "something is happening" will probably be pretty difficult to track down. 😉

Is it monitoring while you're away? I'll see what I can do to replicate. And you say previous versions stayed running just fine?
It was doing that in previous versions sometimes, I didn't worry about it much since it's still a work in progress, so it's not new to this version.

Yeah I know there's not much to go on here. I'll try to pay more attention to when it disappears and see if I can pin it down. I didn't have any problems with the previous versions myself. I only started seeing it with the latest. I left it in active monitoring after a full log scan, yes.

@Orvidius @varonica Can you give me a ballpark on how long you leave it running before it disappears? I've left it going for about four hours now with monitoring enabled and it's still quietly just sitting there.

I'll have to pay more attention and see. I've usually noticed the next day, which is pretty useless information of course.

EDIT: I'll bet it's crashing on the text to speech. I've been running it and didn't hear it say anything these last few days. However, after a full log scan, it found a few things to alert on from these days.

Last edited:

It's a bit unpredictable, because normally I don't realise it's shut down until I notice something that should have triggered a warning. The other day it appeared to shut down between sessions when I exited to the main menu, and yesterday it stayed running for the entire session. There's never any warning or error message popping up or showing, just the program no longer being there, I will try to keep an eye in it and see if it is anything repeatable.

I would like to understand the lines :-
2019-10-04 17:40:41 - Synookie AV-G d10-1 AB 1 a a - Landable - Multiple criteria met - 2 Criteria Satisfied

I understand the info, but would like for elaboration, to understand what criteria.

Nuele HD-V c5-0 A 4 - Uninteresting

Now I understand the system name here and Body A4, now A4 is far from uninteresting, it's terraformable (THMC)
Are you planning to give 'Terraformables' a mention. Most explorers will want to scan every terraformable for credits at least.

The "multiple criteria" is just there to draw attention to the preceding lines. In that case the two criteria in question will be the two lines immediately prior. If you feel that is unnecessary you can disable it in settings.

As for terraformable being interesting, my initial line of thinking with the built in criteria wasn't "what's worth money", but rather "what might be interesting enough to make sightseeing worthwhile". Since terraformable planets are not, on the whole, more interesting to look at than any other, I did not include just terraformable as a default criteria. That said, it's simple enough to add as a custom criteria. I can provide an xml snippet for it if you have trouble.

Might have found something:
2019-09-29 15:45:40 - Synookie ZJ-R d4-4 B 3 - Landable - 5 out of 6 jumponium materials - Missing material: yttrium
This is a working theory

This system is the same but missing Arsenic:
Nuele MJ-T c6-0 A 2 - Uninteresting

However 8 materials make up Jumponium, for Basic, Standard and Premium:
CarbonVanadiumGermaniumCadmiumNiobiumArsenicYttriumPolomium

Are you able to check yourself and confirm please.
According to EDSM Nuele MJ-T c6-0 A 2 is not landable. Why does it matter if there are FSD synth materials there?

As for the rest, to be blunt, I could not possibly care less about non-premium FSD boosts, therefore they are not considered. The materials for non-premium boosts are ample, and not noteworthy.

Yeah I know there's not much to go on here. I'll try to pay more attention to when it disappears and see if I can pin it down. I didn't have any problems with the previous versions myself. I only started seeing it with the latest. I left it in active monitoring after a full log scan, yes.

I'll have to pay more attention and see. I've usually noticed the next day, which is pretty useless information of course.

EDIT: I'll bet it's crashing on the text to speech. I've been running it and didn't hear it say anything these last few days. However, after a full log scan, it found a few things to alert on from these days.
Oh, interesting. I didn't have TTS enabled when I left mine running. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.

It's a bit unpredictable, because normally I don't realise it's shut down until I notice something that should have triggered a warning. The other day it appeared to shut down between sessions when I exited to the main menu, and yesterday it stayed running for the entire session. There's never any warning or error message popping up or showing, just the program no longer being there, I will try to keep an eye in it and see if it is anything repeatable.
The lack of any error is definitely strange. I might put an option for extra debug logging in the next build to see if someone can catch it in the act.

As for terraformable being interesting, my initial line of thinking with the built in criteria wasn't "what's worth money", but rather "what might be interesting enough to make sightseeing worthwhile". Since terraformable planets are not, on the whole, more interesting to look at than any other, I did not include just terraformable as a default criteria. That said, it's simple enough to add as a custom criteria. I can provide an xml snippet for it if you have trouble.

Had a landable terraformable yesterday, that was a surprise.

Top Bottom