CMDRs now playing for ARX

I haven't been grinding for ARX and I've hit the cap every week. I did combat last week, which filled it pretty easily, but this week I've played only a little and I'm over 300 just doing some engineering and a material run out at Dav's.

It's not terribly hard and I only notice if I've hit the cap when I log in. If you're playing around the free ARX, that's a personal choice.
Well. Nothing like that is happening "in a few hours" when I play. Normal play for me is gonna amount to around 15-20 Arx per week. Then again I've been "just playing the game" which right now means mining as opposed to grinding out conflict zones, so who knows.

Either you've been lucky enough to "randomly" stumble into the particular combination of most lucrative activities, or you're lying, or maybe Frontier sets ARX award rates on a per-CMDR basis. The last one isn't so crazy - have you purchased ARX packs by any chance? Maybe people who purchase ARX packs are awarded ARX at a higher rate, if only for a time, to incentivize further spending?

Well. Nothing like that is happening "in a few hours" when I play. Normal play for me is gonna amount to around 15-20 Arx per week. Then again I've been "just playing the game" which right now means mining as opposed to grinding out conflict zones, so who knows.

Either you've been lucky enough to "randomly" stumble into the particular combination of most lucrative activities, or you're lying, or maybe Frontier sets ARX award rates on a per-CMDR basis. The last one isn't so crazy - have you purchased ARX packs by any chance? Maybe people who purchase ARX packs are awarded ARX at a higher rate, if only for a time, to incentivize further spending?
Well, at least you managed to pull quite a few conspiracy theories out of me not having a hard time with ARX.

Think whatever you want, I guess. It doesn't affect anything.

The ARX earning rate responds directly to positive vibes. The more fun you have the more you get.

I'm just going to buy me about 50,000 Arx and then sit on it as a trophy that I can swear up and down I earned legitimately. Then the rest of you can just kiss my Arx.

Yesterday I was testing out a new ship configuration. Admittedly I’m out in Colonia where a couple of jumps puts you in undiscovered space. Anyway, I did a big triangle. 18 jumps one way, 18 the next, 18 home. I’d found a few WW’s, couple of biological finds, scanned and mapped. Sold the data. Took about 2 hours (including a tea break). 130 ARX earned.

I'm not one of them. Whatever Arx I accumulate, I accumulate. Kind of like bar credits at the yacht club - I'm not one of the sit-around-and-drink-until-I-don't-know-how-I-got-back-on-my-boat types, so I usually accumulate quite a few credits - in the neighborhood of 100 or so free drinks. From time to time, I've been known to "buy" a round for the entire club, just to use these, otherwise they just end up collecting and collecting - and I've had a Vice Commodore tease me with threats of taxes on my holdings more than once.

Arx are pretty much the same to me - they're a little fluff perk, a 2% off coupon... if I buy anything and I have any laying around, sure, I'll throw them in the pot. If not... we'll see which gathers more dust, my Arx or my Cobra 3.

Eight pages of this thread and countless pages in other threads and there is one fundamental conept that no one seems to be able to adequately explain to me.

Why do some of you feel that you absolutely HAVE to earn 400 points a week and change their play style to make sure it happens? Why have some of you seeminmgly spent hours working out the apparent value of these points and then making claims about 'missing out' because you haven't capped out?

I see it as a system that grants some bonus points to enable more rounded purchasing, given the difference in purchase amounts vs cosmetic costs.. It should, hopefully, cut down on me buying more ARX than I actually need. Myself, I'm not going to change my play style for 30c wirth of pointless crap.

But what is the difference to other long running games like EVE, WoW or others (never played them long enough, so I don't know). What do other games different (or equal) to hold their players. Is there more or better playing content? "Deeper" content? "Emerging" content? (more, better, deeper, emerging = not well defined, maybe we get better understing about these qualifiers while discussing)
Longest holder as I know is "Line age 2" pirate servers, full grind. That old community (who started being 15 years old and now are 30+) ... they can finish server in 2-4 weeks, i.e. go from char creation to best gear/all killed. Usually server restart each 3-6 months. And people repeat all that the same grind from the scratch, including all that new / same donations.
Why they play ? Well, they're most interested to dominate server this time (one more time) and tops/firsts can sell their stuff for real money (bannable).

Other games I played (wow-killers) usually slowly lose population even with new content which is enough for 1-2 weeks.

It seems, Elite may offer something similar to LA2 introducing mega-ships. It may become the seed of users' created content (what LA2 do actually - users define who will win/control server)

Eight pages of this thread and countless pages in other threads and there is one fundamental conept that no one seems to be able to adequately explain to me.

Why do some of you feel that you absolutely HAVE to earn 400 points a week and change their play style to make sure it happens? Why have some of you seeminmgly spent hours working out the apparent value of these points and then making claims about 'missing out' because you haven't capped out?

I see it as a system that grants some bonus points to enable more rounded purchasing, given the difference in purchase amounts vs cosmetic costs.. It should, hopefully, cut down on me buying more ARX than I actually need. Myself, I'm not going to change my play style for 30c wirth of pointless crap.

1. It is free. Hard to lose free stuff.
2. For example in Venezuela $5 is avr. monthly payment in full-time job currently. So that guys already farm other games and sell for $$$.

1. It is free. Hard to lose free stuff.

That doesn't actually answer my question..

2. For example in Venezuela $5 is avr. monthly payment in full-time job currently. So that guys already farm other games and sell for $$$.

They aren't players, they are pond scum who have no place in gaming - they are only marginally less scummy than the people who buy such accounts.

People set themselves goals in the game. Since it's sandbox, what other choice do we have? And if that goal is called ARX, what gives? Have fun, that's all. But don't go complain that the game doesn't give you enough ARX, credits, materiel, this or that. If that's your goal, stand up to it, period. Reaching a goal will never be fun at all times. Failure is also part of the game.

That doesn't actually answer my question..

Ok, another thread guy well-said:
'Just to be clear, I am not moaning about what Arx I "earn" per activity, I am quite happy to get free "reward points" at whatever rate they come. I am just highlighting what others have indicated, that the award of this stuff for explorers only really comes on the sale of data. To me this is greatly at variance of the postulated "earn while you do your normal game play".'
(https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/half-arxed-exploration.524733/post-8076141)

So naturally, many people want to know how to get max asap, just you always want to know limits/rules.

Ahh.. I think I see what I've been missing. I can't assign any real value to some liquid crystals glowing and so my care factor is about zero. Although, I have noticed a trend when it comes to earning ARX.. If it earns lots of credits, the ARX rewards are low. Lower credit payouts seem to lead to higher ARX. The exception to this seems to be selling exploration data as that seems to score in multiple categories. Doesn't seem an entirely unreasonable system to me, apart from that last part - or they need to provide more granular data.

I've never understood trophies, achievements, virtual credit earnt for playing and stuff like that.

Looks like people need incentives for PLAYING A GAME.

I can understand needing incentives for going to work, in some cases... but playing a game ? You are the master of your free time. You can do what you want with it. Why not doing something else, something that you find fun without needing an incentive ?

I've never understood trophies, achievements, virtual credit earnt for playing and stuff like that.

Looks like people need incentives for PLAYING A GAME.

I can understand needing incentives for going to work, in some cases... but playing a game ? You are the master of your free time. You can do what you want with it. Why not doing something else, something that you find fun without needing an incentive ?

Not really. Best game for human brain is sleeping, i.e. energy consumption low level. It tries to lower energy always. That's why you can train your fingers for buttons - lowered optimized energy. But then, brain can get bored again (that brains which want something else except pure sleep). So once you got optimized all gaming processes - it becomes job for you. Kinda. And need some new challenge. Farming unknown things is good way to think a little.

This has probably already been pointed out but our weekly cap of 400 ARX is equivalent to about 19 pence worth of ARX a week!

I'm not sure what people are doing to "grind" their weekly allocation but, if it's not enormous fun, then you really need to arx yourselves (sorry), is this worth 19 pence. Put another way, if you were walking along a road and you saw a 20 pence piece on the other side, would you even bother crossing the road to get it?

This has probably already been pointed out but our weekly cap of 400 ARX is equivalent to about 19 pence worth of ARX a week!

I'm not sure what people are doing to "grind" their weekly allocation but, if it's not enormous fun, then you really need to arx yourselves (sorry), is this worth 19 pence. Put another way, if you were walking along a road and you saw a 20 pence piece on the other side, would you even bother crossing the road to get it?
You don't get ... Any action must be rewarded, reward can be anything (candy?) otherwise brain wouldn't repeat it.
So ARX is reward. And people want more rewards (= more ARX). While you 20 pence is not reward. It just happened there. Different categories of objects, value is not important.

On my example, I do round galaxy trip now, it is really hard to start game next day and do 100 jumps ... just because all the same all the way, so I imagine rewards for meself, for example "happy cmdrs" when they can use NS plotter after me because I added 100 new NS. But with ARX it is easier - reward is right here. no need to imagine it. And then question of "fairness" pops. Why other ppl get ARX faster doing lesser? :D

All that has zero value, but falls in category "reward" for brain so gets important. Because as I said before brain always want more "reward" doing less, that is how it works.

P.S. That's why most love "cat's movies", because "cat recognition" inside brain is rewarded too and takes 1/100 of second. So people can watch such dumb movies infinite.

Last edited:
You don't get ... Any action must be rewarded, reward can be anything (candy?) otherwise brain wouldn't repeat it.
So ARX is reward. And people want more rewards (= more ARX). While you 20 pence is not reward. It just happened there. Different categories of objects, value is not important.

On my example, I do round galaxy trip now, it is really hard to start game next day and do 100 jumps ... just because all the same all the way, so I imagine rewards for meself, for example "happy cmdrs" when they can use NS plotter after me because I added 100 new NS. But with ARX it is easier - reward is right here. no need to imagine it. And then question of "fairness" pops. Why other ppl get ARX faster doing lesser? :D

All that has zero value, but falls in category "reward" for brain so gets important.
OK, I see what you're saying and I basically agree. I kinda covered myself by saying ".. but, if it's not enormous fun, then .." to mean that if you're happy doing the thing that earns you ARX then fine. But people complain about "grind" all the time so if it's "grind" to you then it seems worth remembering that its "value" is miniscule and you probably ought to consider not doing it (not to mention that this numeric endorphin reward you're trying to make bigger isn't even visible to anyone else so there's no bragging rights - and even if there were - someone else can just "pay to win" in the "who has the most ARX" game).

Anyhoo ... mostly tho' I just thought the 19 pence thing was interesting and wanted to share it. :)

Top Bottom