Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Up, up the ziggurat, lickety split. Got to Earl in the glorious Empire (a long way to go yet) but I'm wondering if they can get any more obsequious. As the People's Poet, Rick would say: "if they're going to be that sycophantic, why don't stick their tongue right the back of my remlock suit".

I thought HGE's were supposed to be a bit more numerous now... #cantfindanyitssounfairanwherehaveallthepharmaceuticalisolatorsgone

I'd say that we are doing OK. I actually found 8 with an FSS scan taking only a few minutes.

Pleadis sector, HGE you will find plenty, in one system alone i had a mix of more than 10 of these and also about 20+ of thargoids, was a mess!
I did went boldly into some with the T9, ke ke ke, scavanged some stuff and got the hell out as soon as in some ships appeared both npcs as thargoids, was fun!

Scanning the nav beacon is far quicker :D It reveals everything as well, so no hunting signals all over the place, which the turn out to be 12kls away and have a life-span of 1 minute 30 seconds ;)

Plus, you can scan a few ships at the nav beacon and get some data materials at the same time. (And their wakes, if you go equipped with a wake scanner)

I'd say that we are doing OK. I actually found 8 with an FSS scan taking only a few minutes.

I bet they all turn out out to be Proto Heat Radiators :)
I have a full quota if them now. I might go to a mat trader and swap a few out, just so that I can collect more of them.

I did once find an HGE in a system at war, which delivered some Imperial Shielding. But other than that, it’s all been Proto Heat Radiators :D

It's Empire space so it's mostly Imperial Shielding.

Weird. I spent last night in Glorious Imperial Territory, and only managed to find the aforementioned Proto Heat Radiators (as I seem to find anywhere, regardless of local space control). Was the system you were in at war? I have a feeling it might be because all the places I have been were in a Boom state.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think the orca is objectively best.

However, with my stated priorities, it seems to be the better choice for -me-.

My point is that on the topic of core mining, everyone either recommend AspX (cheap), Python, or Krait MkII. I don't see anyone ever mention Orca, and I wonder why that is, have I missed something? If you don't want the extra cargo, what makes a krait or python objectively better? The only agility the python got better than the Orca is roll, so what is it? I'm just interested on the why. If you like it more (for X reason), that is fair enough. I just don't see what that reason can be other than cargo space or ability to fight.
Medium vs Large

Weird. I spent last night in Glorious Imperial Territory, and only managed to find the aforementioned Proto Heat Radiators (as I seem to find anywhere, regardless of local space control). Was the system you were in at war? I have a feeling it might be because all the places I have been were in a Boom state.
I just checked one and it was Imperial Shielding. As I'm already maxed out I wasn't looking for them but was
impressed with how many HGEs there were. The system is listed as Feudal - boom The factions are...

Feudal - boom (controlling faction)
Democracy - boom
Patronage - boom (The HGE I checked)
Patronage - none
Corporate - outbreak
Corporate - none
Anarchy - none

Maybe the outbreak might have had something different.

Last edited:
Currently re-engineering and outfitting my Corvette 'Nekogami'.

All my mats were maxed out, but they are looking very depleted now. :(

She's looking more like a full on military vessel now, instead of a lightly armed mobile shop.
Still experimenting with the details, needs a few tests in CZs.

Oh yeah, about saving the last 10% of combat Elite for the Thargoids...
Nope, got tired of waiting.:D

She's looking more like a full on military vessel now, instead of a lightly armed mobile shop.

I assume that was a humble way of telling that you're now combat Elite. Congrats a LOT on that one! (y) I still need a few years of gameplay.

The Corvette is a mighty fine warship. It's not as versatile as the Conda (but everyone have those), and the drifting Cutter is hideous (I've never seen a good looking ship from Gutamaya, sorry). Instead the Corvette's got decent handling, enough shield and hull, but most of all those two huge hardpoints. They're sweet.

Grats on combat Elite! Bet that took some single-minded gring-focus!

Grats on combat Elite! Bet that took some single-minded gring-focus!
Tbh, I didn't, I think its from when I went crazy killing Thargoids.
Possibly CZs for the BGS, but more likely AX zones.

I think Trade from mining, Exploration from sightseeing tours ( 🤷‍♀️).

But the Combat one has taken from January.

Did a lot of grinding on PS4, PC not so much, because I already knew what I enjoyed. :D
EHV5ZGnXUAU8qKy

Last edited:
I messed around and bought several collections of old Atari arcade/2600 games so I've been playing more Yars' Revenge and Atari Lunar Lander than Elite Dangerous the past couple of days but I have been logging in to make some progress on the expedition front. Last night I found a nice little system with 2 ELW, 1 WW and various HMC plus some peduncle trees.

I messed around and bought several collections of old Atari arcade/2600 games so I've been playing more Yars' Revenge and Atari Lunar Lander than Elite Dangerous the past couple of days but I have been logging in to make some progress on the expedition front. Last night I found a nice little system with 2 ELW, 1 WW and various HMC plus some peduncle trees.

This reminded me of playing Elite on the CPC464.

I wonder, if I could play it today in all its blocky pixel glory, whether it would keep me glued to the screen for hours on end like it did all those years ago.

I saw a Toob video of it a little while back. I think, maybe, the answer to my wondering would be "no"... today's iteration is much better and after watching said video, the rose-tinted glasses fell off.

Top Bottom