Blocking in Elite Dangerous

Don't go too mental with the block and i'm sure there's some fun to be had! 🤗
For me this is as much about the "science" as anything. I normally don't even do CGs, so likely after this one is over I'll clear my block list and go back to how I was playing beforehand. Especially since my experiments are not yielding the results I had hoped for.

My point is, then, that the DG list had nothing to do with your own personal blocking protocol, so I didn't (and still don't) know why you even brought it up. I think blocking for anything other than abusive comms is bull excrement, but I am encouraged that you do seem to have a set of guidelines you employ as opposed to just willy nilly blocking people because you read their name somewhere.
Oh, the DG list has a lot to do with my personal blocking protocol.
Its pinned to the wall next to my monitor. If someone whom I doesn't know interdict me, I have a look there.

I block all station rammers.
I normaly don't block interdictors.
I never block PP enemies.
If someone, whom I can't identify as a PP enemy interdicts me, I check the list.
If his name is on there, I know he travelled 1000th of lightyears out in the black to shoot at unarmed exploration vessels, and is therefore most likly just an ordinary ganker. So I block him.

At the current CG, there are often instances full of multiple wings of gankers. Trying to run this gauntlet in a trading ship is "tedious" to say the least. Nor do I find this immersive, seeing that the story of the CG is to save the galaxy from blight that would cause all of us (gankers included) to starve. It's just "blow people up for the fun of it" mayhem, and I'd like to opt-out of this silliness. However, I like the "community" aspect of a Community Goal, so seeing other traders and even an occasional ganker is enjoyable to me. So while switching to Solo removes "gank alley", it also removes everyone else.
With the billions people are making, who cares?
Get every person who is starving a freewinder, send them off to mine and watch them get rich. Then they can buy meat and other stuff to eat.
If they are vegan or member of PETA (People for Ethical Treament of Asteroids), then... meh... I got nothing that doesn't involve shooting them into the nearest sun.

I have no idea why Solo play and Private group weren't enough for most people.

"Block" should block comms only. Open is and should be a dangerous place. Now FDEV allows everyone to make open play their own personal private group. No. Stop it already what are you doing.

It's MY money, and MY free time. Therefore if someone's behavior is interfering with my enjoyment of my free time and my money beyond what I consider acceptable, they will get blocked. That goes for this game, as well as every other game.

When you control my life, you can choose otherwise. Until then, your objection doesn't matter.

I've done some experiments, and I must confess, my idea sounded better on paper than it is in practice. I think I'll just wait until I'm approved for Mobius for my "community" hauling, and in the meantime I'll haul in Solo and play with gankers in unfiltered Open, saving the block for the extra-bad offenders (creeps and cheaters).

But hey, if we don't try these things, then we never learn. SCIENCE!

Its pinned to the wall next to my monitor. If someone whom I doesn't know interdict me, I have a look there.

If someone, whom I can't identify as a PP enemy interdicts me, I check the list.
If his name is on there, I know he travelled 1000th of lightyears out in the black to shoot at unarmed exploration vessels, and is therefore most likly just an ordinary ganker. So I block him.
I have a list next to my monitor of all the griefers, gankers and assorted villains in the game so I can thank them for supplying a life spark to the game that Frontier has almost went out of their way to strangle. And when it comes to dealing with these people ingame rather than scuttle off to safe space or keep my space safe with the use of an exploit like the block button I got good at flying, outfitting and generally playing the game. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Hes checking his list , hes checking it twice.

Hes gonna find out whos naughty or nice.

CG Santa :)

I have a list next to my monitor of all the griefers, gankers and assorted villains in the game so I can thank them for supplying a life spark to the game that Frontier has almost went out of their way to strangle.
I must confess, the best moments I've had during this CG have been thanks to the gankers. Granted, this is when I go into the system looking for this sort of game play.

Even then, epic battles are somewhat few and far between and a stinking pain to jump in on.

Anyway, I'm writing off this block idea as a failure, at least for what I had envisioned. Even when I do bypass ganker alley, the station is so overcrowded that it's a mess. I'll stick to doing my hauling in Solo or PG, and use my Hauler (hehehe) for Open PvP. Don't worry, I'm giving your kind plenty of content!

Yeah, I was thinking about this (though not from that perspective). What if I made friends with every trader I met and then blocked every griefer I met and then just sat in SC at the CG. Could I single-handedly make this CG a friendly, griefer-free place?

You could possibly make your instance griefer free, again, if they did change the way block works. If not, then friending could make it unreliable and it would probably take a significant number of blocking CMDRs to change that.

Regardless, not everyone of your friends at a busy CG is going to be placed in your instance. There are a lot of factors and matchmaking has always been sketchy, especially in high population scenarios.

Separate from the OP, I just now blocked a station rammer. I have no patience for cheats and cowards and people who exploit holes in C&P. Instancing be damned. First person to "officially" (outside of experimentation) to make my permanent block list. 🤷

If you disagree, well..... :p:p:p
Blocking is the only exploit I can see in the above example. Ramming is a legit combat tactic and station kills besides being absolutely tactical also enjoy the added benefit of being downright hysterical. Further, how are they "cheats" and "cowards" exactly? I think the guy abusing the block function to avoid legit gameplay comes waaaaay closer to fulfilling my criteria for those two pejoratives, but I guess i'm strange that way:)

Have you considered that blocking and friending probably don't work instantly?
Actually, I have proof this is correct. Someone I purposefully blocked for station griefing somehow tracked me down two hyperspace jumps and minutes later and blew me up, despite being on my block list. So... Either it takes awhile for blocks to take effect, or they are cheating somehow, in which case I'll block them via my router next time I see them.

Well, at least I got some free Arx for my trouble :)

Last edited:
Separate from the OP, I just now blocked a station rammer. I have no patience for cheats and cowards and people who exploit holes in C&P. Instancing be damned. First person to "officially" (outside of experimentation) to make my permanent block list. 🤷

If you disagree, well..... :p:p:p

Good man, lead from the front. Lets make ED a station griefer free zone.

Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, block the unclean.

Actually, I have proof this is correct. Someone I purposefully blocked for station griefing somehow tracked me down two hyperspace jumps and minutes later and blew me up, despite being on my block list. So... Either it takes awhile for blocks to take effect

Was anyone else around?

or they are cheating somehow, in which case I'll block them via my router next time I see them.

Likely to be equally unreliable as the game can use relays when it can't get a direct connection.

There is no such thing as "block abuse", period.

That's like saying there is no such thing as "griefing" or cheating via exploit. Just because something exists doesn't mean every use of it is valid.

Almost any feature can be used in ways contrary to it's intent to the detriment of other players.

Top Bottom