Blocking in Elite Dangerous

Block everyone and you'll become Mobius ll. lol
Well, I have entertained the idea of blocking everyone BAD, like those gangs who harass people in engineer systems... Thing is, I do like PvP on occasion when it's fair, balanced, and purposeful.

The block tool is obviously more complex than first appears due to how instancing works, so I'll likely continue to err on the side of caution when using it, but on the other hand, I will use it. If anyone thinks that's an exploit, report me to Frontier.

But to clarify, I don't see block as an effective tool to achieve my idea in the OP. I'll just switch to actual Mobius for that, once they let me in. I tried, but it really didn't work like I thought it would.

Last edited:
"What would I want from a game ?, I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers. But having said that I do want a feeling of risk out there"

Wow man, that sound like a great idea!!!
I'm gonna impress everyone at the meeting tomorrow...

If blocking threads are so popular (I don't remember any), then why can't anyone answer my questions in the 2nd to last paragraph? Surely you've seen these questions and answers before!
They usually start in the dying days of "gweeferz bad :(" threads

Hahaha, you and your silly "standards". If you only could accept other people having different standards... but take care not to fall from your high horse.
And if you were at the same time calling out Old Duck for labeling station rammers as cheats and cowards I wouldn't now be calling you a blathering hypocrite who's viewpoint was so low that you couldn't see over your raging double standard:)

How strange, those that seem to be against blocking are possibly the very ones who would be blocked.

It's funnier than that!

Some of "those very ones" actually use the block feature themselves. I've seen cases where it was used against, what I'd qualify as their common or "annoying" opponents, with a mix of long term blocking and convenience blocking (i.e. blocking when struggling, unblocking with the upper hand) 🤷‍♂️

I, for one, never blocked anyone and never will. The game would be boring otherwise. Elite and all its instancing problems already makes for a hit-n-miss experience that I'd rather not lower the odds of interesting content even a tiny bit. But that's just me.

I do hope that Friends relationships override blocking as otherwise it's a recipe for a landmine instancing and a boring game experience for folks like me.

Random instancing, or weights corresponding to things outside player control, are not the same as giving players the ability to influence instancing in Open.

It's also not a negligible thing...if it were, then blocking wouldn't work.

that's technically correct but i consider the effect negligible in the big picture since elite ins't a consistent multiplayer world anyway. yes, it can affect some individuals some of the time, but there are so many factors doing this that those players' expectations are moot anyway.

e.g., in eve such a blocking function would be clearly disruptive, but then eve is a consistent game world. in elite this hardly can't disrupt what doesn't exist. some forum members cursing blockers or some blockers chest-thumping is just forum fun, just another characteristic of 'social network gaming'.

Blocking is the only exploit I can see in the above example. Ramming is a legit combat tactic and station kills besides being absolutely tactical also enjoy the added benefit of being downright hysterical. Further, how are they "cheats" and "cowards" exactly? I think the guy abusing the block function to avoid legit gameplay comes waaaaay closer to fulfilling my criteria for those two pejoratives, but I guess i'm strange that way:)
Honestly, the salt you fling here over the block function is half the reason I use it. That’s my definition of hysterical.

I am very strongly of the opinion that Blocking aught to be reserved to COMMS ONLY.

Someone's language offends you, you aught not be forced to hear it.

Someone's gameplay offends you, it is just too bad.

Or even better, the much spoken by the wise, most massively maligned by the weak, yet most true 2 words in this game : "Git Gud".

Then you wont have to block people. You will have a toolset both in ship loadout and knowhow to handle all of these situations.
And you need to accept the fact also, that sometimes you just wont be able to do certain things, from time-to-time you WILL lose a ship. Its Elite: Dangerous not Elite:Carebear.

Instancing aught not be affected at all. Not fair for anyone. People who want to blockade a system have as much right to that as people who want to pass the blockade. For BGS/PP this is even more important that a CG.

And there have been a lot of things Frontier have done to exacerbate ganking situation. Never used to be really bad, many traders told tales of ne'er seeing a gank ship at CGs.

Lets look at these :
Nerfing of Eravate by introduction of "Noob" systems. People who would otherwise seal club need to go somewhere else. Also destroyed Adle's Armada reason for existence, without even a single word to us, though one of the oldest PG in the game. Thanks Frontier. Whole game area round there is now a wasteland whereas before totally thriving area. Anyway all the folks who used to go there need to go somewhere else and options are rather more limited now. Making Trade CGs an attractive target.

Lack of Weekly CGs. No reason we cant have that in parallel with interstellar initiatives. Was good to tour the galaxy to a new place most weeks. No weekly CG focuses the PvP onto Shinrarta and Deciat making the experience for a lot of players much "sharper".

Lack of Combat-Focused CGs. Hunters often prefer attack BH rather than traders. Where are the combat CGs ?

Lack of any updates this year for Veteran Players. No new ships, no new challenges. Nothing to do but to go ganking. Would it REALLY have been so much trouble to have artist and dev spend a month making a new ship for us, or 2? Something good for veteran players, doesn't need to be massive. Or even let us know the Fleet Carrier will be and have us spend the time doing some grinding for that rather than vaporizing scrubs. Just have something for Veterans to work towards.

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786

Lack of any updates this year for Veteran Players. No new ships, no new challenges. Nothing to do but to go ganking. Would it REALLY have been so much trouble to have artist and dev spend a month making a new ship for us, or 2? Something good for veteran players, doesn't need to be massive. Or even let us know the Fleet Carrier will be and have us spend the time doing some grinding for that rather than vaporizing scrubs. Just have something for Veterans to work towards.
But... we got Arx... aren't those worth grinding for?

Who am I kidding - for 24c/week I rather go and play something else.

New ships would have been neat, any update on ANY content is just tight lipped, veteran players are leaving for other games, all my friend that I used to play with Elite are long gone, playing WoW classic, and I haven't logged in in months either.

Get them new players in... old players... well... they know where the door is.

I just wonder - with a high number of gankers they'd be in practically all instances except yours. Meaning you'd probably be playing solo if you blocked them all.

I'm totally down with this. As a matter of fact, maybe the community could publish a list of known griefers that people can add to their block lists.

i would not defend it, i would much prefer an eve-like scenario, but that's not a choice for me to make so yeah, i think blocking fits elite's model pretty much. i don't have use for it but i don't mind and it makes even sense it's there.

And if you were at the same time calling out Old Duck for labeling station rammers as cheats and cowards I wouldn't now be calling you a blathering hypocrite who's viewpoint was so low that you couldn't see over your raging double standard:)

When I went on my splurge of blocking the station ramming griefers and cheats I found they were largely the same people.

Top Bottom