ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update (22/10)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well i don't think ED is dead. Personally i like the game and i wouldn't minded if Frontier comes and say ok this is the game that's all you have, no more updates no more new content. But all the false promises, all the lies, the luck of communication. Remember how many videos exist for the so called roadmaps, how many announcements for future content how many delays, how many bugs they ignore for so much time. It's not the game, it's the attitude.
The attitude of whome? FDev's or the community's?

Yes they messed up their own roadmap they published. Almost everyone was hypertraining about it and when FDev stated that they cannot hold up to the Roadmap, the Hype-Train crashed horribly resulting in a loud enragement. I cannot blame FDev for being silent about the things to come. They just want to avoid another fatal crash with hundreds of "victims".

So how would YOU manage this situation? You say something...wrong...You say nothing...wrong again...

That's plain shizophrenic.

You didn't read the post. There are NO delays to the 2020 update.
Hello @Wobblin-Gobblin,

The new era is still set to be released by the end of 2020.

Sorry for my bad English, it is not my mother language but isn't there a hint of reservation in the wording of Mr Will Flanagan's:
"The new era is still set to be released by the end of 2020" vs "The new era will be released by the end of 2020"?
After all Mr Flanagan did edit his message didn't he? Better be safe than sorry just saying :rolleyes: ...

People aren't 'crying'. People are pointing and saying:"lol, u guys are terrible."

Simply put: we are in a restaurant and looking forward to a nice meal on a clean plate. Telling us it is unrealistic to want both is just plain ridiculous. :)

Can we start a "If Frontier owned a restuarant" thread? :)

Customer: "Waiter, please could I have a menu."

FD: "We're not ready to reveal our recipes (sorry, blueprints) just yet."

1st Customer: "Waiter I've been waiting 2 years for my meal!!"

FD: "Yeah, about that, some customers experienced problems with the meals, so we're rebuilding the kitchen."

Other customer: "It's actually a gutsy move, you can't expect them to cook meals and run a kitchen at the same time!"

1st Customer: "But don't they have staff to address just that issue?"

Other Customer: "BWAHAHAHAHA! You clearly know nothing about running a business."

1st Customer: "Is that right, Waiter?"

FD: ..............................................

1st Customer: Waiter?

FD: ..............................................

I could either believe Frontier and T.j. who actually visited them in their office or a random stranger on the internet who has absolutely no evidence or first hand experience about his claims. I guess I'll side with the random stranger because I don't want to be anywhere near T.j.
Afraid of collateral damage? :LOL:

Sorry for my bad English, it is not my mother language but isn't there a hint of reservation in the wording of Mr Will Flanagan's:
"The new era is still set to be released by the end of 2020" vs "The new era will be released by the end of 2020"?
After all Mr Flanagan did edit his message didn't he? Better be safe than sorry just saying :rolleyes: ...
If you aren't completely new to video games I am sure you'll understand that delays sometimes happen. So before anyone calls them liars (which already happens regularly in this thread despite the careful wording) they aren't making any promises.

I guess we can all at least agree that there are bugs in the game that need fixing, no doubt of that, and that fixing those is quite likely to help support carriers and the new era.
That's just it though isn't it. Without a specific list of bugs and quality-of-life improvements that FD intend to fix whilst they delay further development of the game, the community have no reason to believe that there are bugs in the game that need fixing, or that Frontier are doing anything at all to fix them if they even know what they are.

And then without a specific list of exciting new developments which FD claim to be working on for 'The New Era', after this announcement there's no reason for the community to suppose that Frontier are not completely stumped with how to implement further development of the game.

So let me be the first to confirm it! The New Era will include atmospheric flight, landings, and space legs! Personally I can't wait! I only hope I can survive long enough to see it all!

If you aren't completely new to video games I am sure you'll understand that delays sometimes happen. So before anyone calls them liars (which already happens regularly in this thread despite the careful wording) they aren't making any promises.
Exactly. That is why my post was directed to Mr Ian Phillips who appeared to be so certain about the new era release without delays as promised in late 2020 ;) .

The issue at hand is that delays are happening all the time. This year's fleet carrier delay has been brought to you by ARX, buy today!

To be honest, I think Arx isnt a bad idea, but the optics of 2019 updates is really bad. September update introduces digital currency nobody really asked for, and that breaks the game. They then delay a feature for a second time to fix what should have already been fixed.

It is mismanagement, plain and simple. To assert otherwise is silly

Exactly. That is why my post was directed to Mr Ian Phillips who appeared to be so certain about the new era release without delays as promised in late 2020 ;) .
I believe his point was that there are currently no delays 'planned' for the 2020 update. Of course it's possible that delays happen, but worrying about it is probably as nonsensical as worrying that it will rain next year... :)

Last edited:
Place Proof or I'll have to call you a liar!
You have to read between the lines. Only atmospheric landings and space legs can make good on the so-far empty promises Frontier have been making. Therefore they must be under production. Saying so puts more pressure on Frontier to deliver.

Prove it ain't so.

Okay...I'm out of here for this Wake-up-Period.

The attitude of whome? FDev's or the community's?

Yes they messed up their own roadmap they published. Almost everyone was hypertraining about it and when FDev stated that they cannot hold up to the Roadmap, the Hype-Train crashed horribly resulting in a loud enragement. I cannot blame FDev for being silent about the things to come. They just want to avoid another fatal crash with hundreds of "victims".

So how would YOU manage this situation? You say something...wrong...You say nothing...wrong again...

That's plain shizophrenic.
People are not hypertrained or having crazy demands. You forget that ED was a crowdfunding project. These things people are demanding it's because David John Braben OBE (born 2 January 1964) came and ask for people to give money to develop a product based on certain specifications(content) and delivery time (roadmap). When Bethesda doesn't say what or when on Elder Scrolls that's own right. But if they ask me to fund their project they sure must inform me about the when and what. And the funding doesn't matter if it's a pound or a million pounds. Legally when you fail to deliver a prepaid product on the specified time or specifications result in a breach of contract.

The issue at hand is that delays are happening all the time. This year's fleet carrier delay has been brought to you by ARX, buy today!

To be honest, I think Arx isnt a bad idea, but the optics of 2019 updates is really bad. September update introduces digital currency nobody really asked for, and that breaks the game. They then delay a feature for a second time to fix what should have already been fixed.

It is mismanagement, plain and simple. To assert otherwise is silly
Personally I don't believe that they are only going to fix Arx related bugs in the next 6 months. I also don't believe that all current and old bugs are related to Arx. So blaming Arx for the delay of FCs is a far stretch in my opinion.
The real problem (again, in my opinion) is that only ~ 20 devs are working on the current updates while the majority is working on the 2020 thing. Fixing old and new bugs and releasing new stuff without introducing new bugs is probably to much for a small team. So that's why they decided to postpone the FC release and focus on the stuff they actually can achieve.
So you are right, it was mismanagement, but the decision to focus on bugs seems to be the best approach to get out of it.

I've really enjoyed my 1700 hours of ED. I feel though that FD have now abandoned the game.

Ever since Ten Cent came into FD, Elite Dangerous has been a minor consideration. I understand this from a purely business related point of view but this latest excuse of 'bug fixes' (for a second year) betrays the fact that ED is now regarded as being on life-support only.

Strange, but I logged in tonight really willing and happy to play...then logged out again. 'What's the point?', I asked myself.

I'll keep up with the forums but as far as playing the game again, I suspect it will be some time before I bother.

Thanks to all at FD for a wonderful VR experience over the years and incredible value for money in terms of cost/play-hours value. I just wish you would be honest for once and state, clearly and honestly, that ED has run its course and that it is now a minor consideration as part of FD's business plan. You can be so dishonest sometimes imo.

See you in a year, maybe...

o7

Don't quite get the idea of only playing games when there is an update coming in the next 6 months but hey ho. Anyway Elite Dangerous is the biggest earner at Frontier. Tencent is there to facilitiate access to the huge China market, doesn't mean that ED will translate to that market but neither does it mean that Tencent are dictating focus either. The Tencent investment was in 2017 which would be around the same time that the New Era focus started to be planned. Maybe the Tencent investment allowed Frontier to feel confident about taking a hit, focussing on a longer term goal of "New Era" while releasing free content in the meantime?

The investment company Liberum on Frontier earlier in 2019, some 2 years after the Tencent investment
The company is working on a number of exciting updates for both franchies and our expectation is that we could see a big refresh release of ED in FY20, five years after launch (we expect Elite Dangerous to be closing in on £100m of life-time revenue by the end of this financial year

See my previous post about the "New Era" focus for the past 1.5 years... it was even mentioned in black and white in this threads OP, I mean you obviously know quite a bit about Frontier and Elite Dangerous, but you are completely oblivous to the "New Era" plans?!

Last edited:
You have to read between the lines. Only atmospheric landings and space legs can make good on the so-far empty promises Frontier have been making. Therefore they must be under production. Saying so puts more pressure on Frontier to deliver.

Prove it ain't so.
I never claimed or promised anything, therefore I don't have to proof anything. YOU speculated without a bit of data to underpin your speculations.
Therefore, the ball is on YOUR half of the playground.

End of transmission (for now)

People are not hypertrained or having crazy demands. You forget that ED was a crowdfunding project. These things people are demanding it's because David John Braben OBE (born 2 January 1964) came and ask for people to give money to develop a product based on certain specifications(content) and delivery time (roadmap). When Bethesda doesn't say what or when on Elder Scrolls that's own right. But if they ask me to fund their project they sure must inform me about the when and what. And the funding doesn't matter if it's a pound or a million pounds. Legally when you fail to deliver a prepaid product on the specified time or specifications result in a breach of contract.
Oh, they managed to do that in December 2014. That's all they ever owed you and that's what you got. Everything else was always carefully worded as 'we would like to if we can'.
PS
Also I'll point in your direction whenever someone asks for a roadmap.

I never claimed or promised anything, therefore I don't have to proof anything. YOU speculated without a bit of data to underpin your speculations.
Therefore, the ball is on YOUR half of the playground.

End of transmission (for now)
I was being ironic. The point being that, as you say, and as I pointed out, there is no data. In fact there is no evidence that Frontier are doing anything at all.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom