Game Discussions Well.. looking at Steam charts..

In that case concurrent player numbers for NMS surely must be 10x or greater as well? Unless people were wrong when they claimed that NMS will be the death of Elite... This just shows that Elite can't be as bad as you want it to be.

You forgot the part about NMS being primarily a single player offline game. The ratio could actually be 100x or 10000x more in favor of NMS. We don't know that part. But we do know NMS outsold Elite by a significant amount.

Yeah, NMS was fun at first, but then you realize that you have an entire universe made out of the same five planet types (give or take), and all of the sudden it feels like a surprisingly small and simple game, one that fails to hold my attention.

Actually you also just described Elites universe with the same 4 or 5 repetitive types! True.

But we do know NMS outsold Elite by a significant amount.
How many copies of NMS have been sold? I assume you know based on your comment.

I know 1.4m copies of NMS were sold on Steam by mid 2018.

2.75m copies of Elite Dangerous were sold by August 2018.

Actually you also just described Elites universe with the same 4 or 5 repetitive types! True.
5khvftdue6ry.jpg

Yeah and 3.5 mil copies of SE (Space Engineers) have been sold as of last count. All this means nothing to anyone. Games are played by people that like them, I play all three mentioned in your post NMS, ED, SE.

The best by far (for me), is Space Engineers, for giving the feeling like your in 'space' and in charge of your ship and of course 'real scale' (get out the ship and float around an asteroid).

Many players on here can enjoy more than one type of space game. So what is the point of the thread really. I don't care how many players play whichever game, as long as I'm playing the one I want to play at the time..
Isn't that all that matters to any of us.

You forgot the part about NMS being primarily a single player offline game. The ratio could actually be 100x or 10000x more in favor of NMS. We don't know that part. But we do know NMS outsold Elite by a significant amount.
No, I didn't forget about that part, I just believe it's mostly nonsense. The game is online by default, was advertised as a multiplayer game and most of the updates added more online functionality.

I personally find ED's procgen to be far superior to NMS. It's what's not procgen that tends to bore me - the planets we currently cannot land on. And it's not that we can't land on them, but rather how these textured planets are generated. Once you see one ELW, you've seen them all. Once you've seen the predefined gas giants, you've seen them all. Once you've seen one lava world, you've seen them all. Sure, there's probably some variation in there, but it's still incredibility dull after awhile. Where's the planet that's like ancient Mars with a single, HUGE volcano erupting? Why do all ELWs look the same - where are the rivers, the different weather patterns, the deserts, the autumn foliage, the purple plants, the continents that obey tectonics? Heck, if Frontier spent the time making 50 to 100 custom textures for ELW (instead of spending that time on Thargoid maps, see other thread), that would have radically changed exploration for me personally.

Anyway, you can see I agree that your point has some validity, but I still think ED is better than any other game I've played when it comes to the Stellar Forge. I've experienced many more wonders in ED than I have in NMS (hopping pineapples and flying worms notwithstanding).

ps - Having just watched The Mandalorian, I'm reminded of how cool and different worlds can actually be and yet still feel realistic.

Last edited:
Yeah and 3.5 mil copies of SE (Space Engineers) have been sold as of last count. All this means nothing to anyone. Games are played by people that like them, I play all three mentioned in your post NMS, ED, SE.

The best by far (for me), is Space Engineers, for giving the feeling like your in 'space' and in charge of your ship and of course 'real scale' (get out the ship and float around an asteroid).

Many players on here can enjoy more than one type of space game. So what is the point of the thread really. I don't care how many players play whichever game, as long as I'm playing the one I want to play at the time..
Isn't that all that matters to any of us.
Space Engineers is a great game, especially after the networking/performance update it received early this year

I think it means a lot to the companies selling those products.

I would imagine it does. ;)
__

I put, iirc, £150 into ED.. £50'ish into NMS..
Space Engineers £12.99 (2014), most hours played too. Well out of the space games I have, that is. Been the best buy by some way, for me anyway.

I would imagine it does. ;)
__

I put, iirc, £150 into ED.. £50'ish into NMS..
Space Engineers £12.99 (2014), most hours played too. Well out of the space games I have, that is. Been the best buy by some way, for me anyway.

SE has the potential to suck away quite a few hours from ED at the moment, ironically due to the fact that Frontier completely borked up the September update. Even more ironically, Frontier’s update was about moving their store from the website into the game itself, and broke the game in the process. Meanwhile SE has so impressed me about how much the game has changed for the better over the last five years+ since I first tried it, decided it was too bare bones for me to enjoy, and set it aside, that I’ll be buying the Economy DLC. 🤷‍♀️

Of course, Steam won’t register this shift, because I don’t own ED on Steam. ;). It will register that I’m no longer playing Surviving Mars quite so much. :)

How many copies of Elite have been sold? We don't know. And how many copies are to individual buyers because Elite allows multiple copies to be used simultaneously - and we certainly know die-hard fans on this site including yourself probably own 3 or 4 copies. And that's what this is about: how popular is the game as in how many unique people like game A versus game B. Oh, and if you're quoting FDev numbers which I think you are as they like to float "2.x million" in their earnings statements, then remember they use weasel words that the number includes all Elite franchise sales. That could very well include paints. You don't know, no one knows.

Elite is and always has been a niche game. You can't argue this fact no matter how much you love it. The customer base is small. NMS sold to and appealed to a much, much wider player base. And there are no numbers out there. But we do know they had 213,000 players online at one point. Elite could only dream for even half this. And NMS is an offline single player game. We do know that NMS set records for the top selling game at launch. Elite was simply background noise and nothing on any chart. These are real facts.

Last edited:
No, I didn't forget about that part, I just believe it's mostly nonsense. The game is online by default, was advertised as a multiplayer game and most of the updates added more online functionality.
Only nonsense is this reply. But tell me this: NMS had over 212,000 simultaneous players online at one time. What is the all time high for Elite? For an offline game NMS has done well. (BTW how is that offline mode working for Elite?)

Can you point out the ones you can actually land on? Yeah, not many huh. But nice try.

And I'll give you a bonus cookie if you can post pictures of being on at least 8 different looking surfaces. Note I didn't say the word 'planet' because one cannot land on planets in Elite. In NMS one can.

How many copies of Elite have been sold? We don't know.
Yes we do, as per my comment that you quoted. We also know that 3m copies had been sold by January 2019.

If reading text is a trouble for you I will helpfully link you some text-to-speak programs that may assist you. Please note that these will require your computer to output audio so you'll need some speakers or headphones too.

And how many copies are to individual buyers because Elite allows multiple copies to be used simultaneously - and we certainly know die-hard fans on this site including yourself probably own 3 or 4 copies. And that's what this is about: how popular is the game as in how many unique people like game A versus game B.
You appear to be incoherently ranting.

Oh, and if you're quoting FDev numbers which I think you are as they like to float "2.x million" in their earnings statements, then remember they use weasel words that the number includes all Elite franchise sales. That could very well include paints. You don't know, no one knows.
FDev financials are very clear on the number of game copies sold, as are CMs' further clarifying that "franchise sales" are copies sold (of basegame and/or Horizons) and do not include cosmetics or other items. This is all public information, available for anyone without a tinfoil-hat-prosthetic to read.

But we do know NMS outsold Elite by a significant amount.
NMS sold to and appealed to a much, much wider player base. And there are no numbers out there.
Cool: so you don't know how many copies of NMS have been sold, contrary to your previous comment which I've helpfully quoted above. I'm glad we've cleared that up. I did already provide one stat which you foolishly ignored (it is also public information):

We do know that NMS set records for the top selling game at launch.
Making things up again I see. NMS did sell well for the genre - 1.4m copies on Steam over 2 years - but it certainly didn't set any records.

I would recommend that you educate yourself with sourced information in future, to save yourself from further embarrassment.

Can you point out the ones you can actually land on? Yeah, not many huh. But nice try.

And I'll give you a bonus cookie if you can post pictures of being on at least 8 different looking surfaces. Note I didn't say the word 'planet' because one cannot land on planets in Elite. In NMS one can.
Thanks for agreeing that there are vastly more than "4 or 5 repetitive types" of planets in Elite Dangerous, as shown in the image - 16 different planet types, plus variants, plus star types too. Your moving of the goalposts to landable-only worlds only emphasises your desperation at saving face yet again; do more research and you won't be embarrassed in future.

Here are a list of the record sized 1:1 scale worlds that you can land on in Elite Dangerous, many of which are planets (it's an old post, there's a newer one around somewhere. Meanwhile, you can check said planetary statuses via EDDB.io btw):
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/really-large-landable-planets-the-list.217068/

For further information on the planets and moons in Elite Dangerous, I recommend browsing the Elite Dangerous Wikia and the links in @Alec Turner's excellent Best Of collection.

Thanks for agreeing that there are vastly more than "4 or 5 repetitive types" of planets in Elite Dangerous, as shown in the image - 16 different planet types, plus variants, plus star types too. Your moving of the goalposts to landable-only worlds only emphasises your desperation at saving face yet again; do more research and you won't be embarrassed in future.

Here are a list of the record sized 1:1 scale worlds that you can land on in Elite Dangerous, many of which are planets (it's an old post, there's a newer one around somewhere. Meanwhile, you can check said planetary statuses via EDDB.io btw):
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/really-large-landable-planets-the-list.217068/

For further information on the planets and moons in Elite Dangerous, I recommend browsing the Elite Dangerous Wikia and the links in @Alec Turner's excellent Best Of collection.
I have to agree with him on this point; showing a graph (a very nice one, btw) with a bunch of planet types seems pretty impressive at first until you stop and realize they're only subtly different from one another--4 or five visually distinctive stars, 4-5 distinctive planet types that really stand out from one another. Filled with variety ED isn't.

I have to agree with him on this point; showing a graph (a very nice one, btw) with a bunch of planet types seems pretty impressive at first until you stop and realize they're only subtly different from one another--4 or five visually distinctive stars, 4-5 distinctive planet types that really stand out from one another. Filled with variety ED isn't.
Everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion as to whether a world is different to another - be it subtley, factually, scientifically, etc. Elite's explorers certainly enjoy finding the many different types of worlds in the game. EDSM has records of the tens of thousands of systems and worlds each found by CMDRs: https://www.edsm.net/top/logs

If there are only 4 or 5 types of planets in game then those explorers must be crazy :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion as to whether a world is different to another - be it subtley, factually, scientifically, etc. Elite's explorers certainly enjoy finding the many different types of worlds in the game. EDSM has records of the tens of thousands of systems and worlds each found by CMDRs: https://www.edsm.net/top/logs

If there are only 4 or 5 types of planets in game then those explorers must be crazy :ROFLMAO:
Even if we were generous and quadrupled the number...explorers could still legitimately be considered to be crazy:)

Top Bottom