Game Discussions Well.. looking at Steam charts..

It's not like I don't have humour, which is why I also liked Leo's post. But when you say I try to convince myself that I don't exist you clearly call me a white knight.

Let's look at some of your white knights:
Stuart GT: Not a white knight, initiated the petition.
Babelfisch: Not a white knight, regularly posts criticism.
Stigbob: That guy is an edge case. Personally I believe he is not a white knight. He just likes to disagree with people. If everyone on this forum would love the game he would probably hate it... :D Since being rude is one of your criteria for being a white knight, Stigbob doesn't count. He might be annoying but he is mostly less rude than the people in a discussion with him.

So are we at the point where you agree that white knights are mostly made up because people can't cope with the idea that not everyone shares their subjective opinion?
I think Stigbob is attracted to posts using :poop:poor arguments.
Not so much defending ED.:unsure:

I think Stigbob is attracted to posts using :poop:poor arguments.
Not so much defending ED.:unsure:
I am quite sure Stig enjoys the verbal stoush a lot. He does play the white knight well but I personally think it is only a very good act, just to upset the more moronic, single focus, 'ED is bad, Braben is the devil' posters. I do enjoy how he preservers with his rebuttals until the poor sod that is arguing against him says something total stupid and looks like an utter fool.

Love him or hate him, Stigbob knows how to play the game here and does it better than most!

Have i personally ever implied you're a white knight? Max Factor (who probably isnt) and Ian Skippy yes i have, but i only seem to remember you picking trouble with me using the term because you're obsessed with convincing me that white knights dont exist. I remember a few fss jousts with you but we backed off into our own corners quicky enough.
Might be a misunderstanding but I believe you did imply that I am a white knight:
Your efforts to convince yourself that you don't exist are amazing.

It doesn't work for anyone not like you, sorry.

That was your post after I said that white knights dont't exist. So when you say that I try to convince myself that I don't exist, you clearly imply that I am a white knight.

That was your post after I said that white knights dont't exist. So when you say that I try to convince myself that I don't exist, you clearly imply that I am a white knight.

This is not real discussion we're talking about white knights. The thread is already moved into off topic.

Have i personally ever implied you're a white knight? Max Factor (who probably isnt) and Ian Skippy yes i have, but i only seem to remember you picking trouble with me using the term because you're obsessed with convincing me that white knights dont exist. I remember a few fss jousts with you but we backed off into our own corners quicky enough.
I have done plenty of criticism of the game as had Ian skippy, so that excludes me and him.

So here's a question for you Steam Chart professors. Compare ED's chart to Space Engineer's. Notice that, while the numbers are different, the curves are almost identical mirror images, including that weird dip. I understand cycles being similar (wake vs sleep, etc), but these curves are uncanny in their similarity. Why?

Yeah well Space Engineers is doing better than both of them :p

Not surprising. Over the last five years it’s morphed from a primitive “follow the leader” survival game set in Space!, which failed to keep my interest for very long, into a rather deep game that’s like a siren, calling me constantly.

Elite Dangerous still doesn’t have a learning curve, but a learning cliff. If you reach the top, it’s fantastic, but reaching the top remains a struggle. It’s an extremely niche game IMO, which is fine by me.

No Man’s Sky remains kind of “meh” IMO. At first it stands out, with its procedurally generated life bearing Worlds, but it doesn’t take long for the man behind the curtain to be seen.

I have no opinion on EVE Online, but no steam chart discussion is complete without including it. :p

https://steamcharts.com/app/8500

All four compared over the last year. NMS’s massive surges at major releases kinds of driwns out the rest of the signals. :rolleyes:
https://steamcharts.com/cmp/244850,359320,275850,8500#All

So here's a question for you Steam Chart professors. Compare ED's chart to Space Engineer's. Notice that, while the numbers are different, the curves are almost identical mirror images, including that weird dip. I understand cycles being similar (wake vs sleep, etc), but these curves are uncanny in their similarity. Why?

You would get the same result with almost any other game. Holidays, weekends, day and night, etc.

PS
Also because the audience isn't that different. Both games are played by people with kids and family which is why the daily peak is almost always at PM 21/22 after the kids went to sleep. The peak for Destiny 2 is shortly after school. Go figure...

PPS
Another explanation would be the timezone. People from Europe are interested in boring art stuff while you US guys like explosions and blockbusters. :D

Last edited:
No Man’s Sky remains kind of “meh” IMO. At first it stands out, with its procedurally generated life bearing Worlds, but it doesn’t take long for the man behind the curtain to be seen.
Yeah, NMS was fun at first, but then you realize that you have an entire universe made out of the same five planet types (give or take), and all of the sudden it feels like a surprisingly small and simple game, one that fails to hold my attention.

Yeah, NMS was fun at first, but then you realize that you have an entire universe made out of the same five planet types (give or take), and all of the sudden it feels like a surprisingly small and simple game, one that fails to hold my attention.

What really killed NMS for me is three things:
  • It didn’t take long for me to start recognizing the parts of the game’s “Mr. Potato-head” life generation system
  • The flight model is awful.
  • The enforced tutorial kills any desire to play the game Iron Man, which is my preferred way to play survival games.

Compare ED's chart to Space Engineer's. Notice that, while the numbers are different, the curves are almost identical mirror images, including that weird dip. I understand cycles being similar (wake vs sleep, etc), but these curves are uncanny in their similarity. Why?
I'm not sure how much you were zoomed in or out, but that looks to be the case only on a monthly scale. Plenty of differences over longer time.
But then, I wouldn't compare Space Engineers to Elite. Different genres, with a common general setting: space. Similarly, I wouldn't compare Space Engineers to Kerbal Space Program, nor Elite to KSP, and so on.

Not surprising. Over the last five years it’s morphed from a primitive “follow the leader” survival game set in Space!, which failed to keep my interest for very long, into a rather deep game that’s like a siren, calling me constantly.

Elite Dangerous still doesn’t have a learning curve, but a learning cliff. If you reach the top, it’s fantastic, but reaching the top remains a struggle. It’s an extremely niche game IMO, which is fine by me.

I have no opinion on EVE Online, but no steam chart discussion is complete without including it. :p

https://steamcharts.com/app/8500

All four compared over the last year. NMS’s massive surges at major releases kinds of driwns out the rest of the signals. :rolleyes:
https://steamcharts.com/cmp/244850,359320,275850,8500#All
Honestly, I've always found Elite: Dangerous to be fairly straightforward and easy, just a bit of time to set up the controls and the like the way I wanted them.

Setting up ships within limits to optimize them from what you want out of them and that sort of thing can be more involved of course, but for me that has been part of the appeal of playing the game – it's fun to tinker around with something to make a nice bit of kit. Mostly though I enjoy the galactic sim and sci-fi space setting playing as a ship pilot mucking around in space.

Space Engineers is a little too... Minecraft in space for me, though I do enjoy it as well.

I'm not sure how much you were zoomed in or out, but that looks to be the case only on a monthly scale. Plenty of differences over longer time.
That's because the graph gets more useless the further you zoom out. Just displaying a few peak numbers doesn't give you any idea about the actual performance of a game.

But then, I wouldn't compare Space Engineers to Elite. Different genres, with a common general setting: space. Similarly, I wouldn't compare Space Engineers to Kerbal Space Program, nor Elite to KSP, and so on.
What about comparing Elite to NMS, the premise of the OP? :p

I'm currently playing Space Engineers as a replacement to ED, so I'm not convinced they are two different genres. Heck, I'm even flying a Vulture in SE! I'm exploring, engaging in ship-to-ship combat, mining, engineering, and someday I'll be running missions for certain factions. So I do compare the two.

What about comparing Elite to NMS, the premise of the OP? :p
Borderline. NMS is more of a planetary survival game, with some rather basic spaceflight put on top of that. Plus all the base building and crafting stuff that's in there.
Elite I guess would be the other way around, but that would be stretching things. (I wouldn't call the limited fuel tank of the SRV and the process of refueling it planetary survival.) What it doesn't have (yet?) is base building.

As for Space Engineers, I only played it for a couple of hours, and while I assume it's true that you can do the things you wrote in it, the focus of the game appears to be on the engineering aspect. (Certainly the focus of the tutorials.) Far be it from me to knock that, mind: it's just that Elite doesn't have engineering. (No, Elite's "Engineers" are just a name for the item modding system.)
Might as well compare Factorio to a top-down alien shooting game then.

Top Bottom