Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Lava Loop (16th Nov to 24th Nov 3305)

Awesome race @Edelgard von Rhein and some really terrific jostling for position on the leaderboard. Thanks for organising, bravo to the winners (especially Shaye, Bruski, Bob, Ozric and MD for those podium times) and welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club to all the newcomers who came along aand had a go (some doing a bit too well for my liking! :LOL:)

As mentioned the next race is going to be the 3rd installment of the Total Recall concept which I'm really excited about 'cos I organised the first two and thus couldn't really participate in them.

Couple of videos. First a heavily condensed version of my DBX run (although videos of the winning runs would be far more educational I expect ... edit: ooh, ninja'd - cheers Shaye!):

And second, just so people get the idea, here's a demo video I made from Total Recall 1 (the idea is to fly to various planetary bases, land, deploy the SRV, drive it away from the base as fast as you can, then recall and rejoin the ship, fly on to the next base, and repeat).

Shaye thanks for uploading that vid and letting us in on your secrets! All this time in the game and I didn't realise you could refuel without entering the station..oh boy!!
Also really really nice flying mate, the PC boys Def get a few extra seconds with loading screens but that takes nothing away from what a commanding run that was. Hats off to you!

Shaye thanks for uploading that vid and letting us in on your secrets! All this time in the game and I didn't realise you could refuel without entering the station..oh boy!!
Also really really nice flying mate, the PC boys Def get a few extra seconds with loading screens but that takes nothing away from what a commanding run that was. Hats off to you!

Some people might not know this, that instrument to the left on the dash wich shows you where your target is in relation to your ship, it also points to your landing pad after you get one assigned. I learnt that this year after playing for 4 years. :LOL:

Some people might not know this, that instrument to the left on the dash wich shows you where your target is in relation to your ship, it also points to your landing pad after you get one assigned. I learnt that this year after playing for 4 years. :LOL:

If only it would tell you which side of the outpost the docking pad is on. I left a few Hauler sized dents due to getting that wrong that last few days. :p

Many congrats to all for a spectacular race! :D

I have to say I spent more time racing this past week than I had planned, it's been fun. I'll post both entries in case anyone is interested (and the ship builds) even if I only see the mistakes I make :p
Thanks to everyone participating for making it the great event it was and to Edelgard in particular for organising it.

Thanks for sharing the videos, that's awesome!

Coming up next month...
gslWl90.png

I have to say I spent more time racing this past week than I had planned, it's been fun. I'll post both entries in case anyone is interested (and the ship builds) even if I only see the mistakes I make :p
Thanks to everyone participating for making it the great event it was and to Edelgard in particular for organising it.

Courier: https://s.orbis.zone/53zh
Source: https://youtu.be/Kwx3gf0XJgM

Asp: https://s.orbis.zone/53zj This is my exploration vessel, I just took the hangar bay out and put some extra fuel in so as not to have to worry about fuel at all. Less stressful than the Courier runs :p
Source: https://youtu.be/5S2FbqrqIic
Haven't watched the Asp run yet but it's amazing how leisurely that iCourier run looks. No drama, just cool calm collected near perfection. Kinda interesting to break down the elements of that (if I may) as a guide to any race beginners looking for tips
1) ship/loadout streamlined for that perfect blend of jump range and normal space speed (note the small fuel tank and no shields)
2) good pad for the initial launch
3) boost directly away from the station until the jump can be initiated ... then turn to face destination
4) on multi-jump stages make sure to get next jump unobscured asap, engage jump the instant you can, then stick close to star for fuel scooping (watching heat), turning to face target for jump at the last moment
5) on arrival at target system get away from star's gravity well asap, then arc back towards destination station
6) push supercruise approach until 0:04/0:03 and then balance corkscrewing around planet (never overdoing it or getting too sucked into planet's gravity well such that eta goes back up again) - ideally safe drop will appear without ever levelling out into a final straight line approach at the end of this manoeuvre
7) ship's straight line speed now gets you to station asap, get docking permission asap (leaving time to cancel/re-request for better pad assigment if necessary - although shaye and/or iCourier's speed never allows for this)
8) know your pad positions - don't waste time looking for pad and plan the approach so you're in position and facing the right way (with gear down) before you even get there (alternative of litho-braking, smacking straight into pad and then positioning to land not explored here by Shaye, because ... no shields!)
9) touch down perfectly
10) know your fuel consumption, know exactly which stages require a quick station refuel and which don't
11) hit launch asap, have faith that it worked, use bookmarks (to station) while ship is turning around
12) repeat

Easy! :LOL:

P.S. then turn up to next race, which inevitably, requires a completely different skill set! 🤣

Last edited:
There was an eleventh-hour run in Regulation Hauler that was started with barely half an hour remaining and the submission came through yesterday, so the leaderboard for that category is updated here and, like the Unlimited leaderboard that was posted yesterday, should now be considered final.

The run in question turned out to be by CMDR Darplata94 in the Limiting Factor, improving his time to 25:32 and claiming second place from CMDR Ozric by three seconds. Congratulations CMDR!

The limiting factor here seems to have been time and it was noteworthy that only a few CMDRs seemed to investigate the use of white dwarf jet cones for boosting. I tested the white dwarfs prior to the race and some are definitely much better suited to boosting from than others, with MY Apodis being the most difficult (the jet cones barely extend beyond the exclusion zone!) and the Levchenko Horizons to Conway City leg not having any white dwarfs suitably placed. In fact, it might have been easier to use them on an anti-clockwise run.

Once again, thank you and well done to everyone who took part! Fly Fast! (At Total Recall 3, 'flyve' fast as well!)
M5TjJnM.png

There was an eleventh-hour run in Regulation Hauler that was started with barely half an hour remaining and the submission came through yesterday, so the leaderboard for that category is updated here and, like the Unlimited leaderboard that was posted yesterday, should now be considered final.

The run in question turned out to be by CMDR Darplata94 in the Limiting Factor, improving his time to 25:32 and claiming second place from CMDR Ozric by three seconds. Congratulations CMDR!

The limiting factor here seems to have been time and it was noteworthy that only a few CMDRs seemed to investigate the use of white dwarf jet cones for boosting. I tested the white dwarfs prior to the race and some are definitely much better suited to boosting from than others, with MY Apodis being the most difficult (the jet cones barely extend beyond the exclusion zone!) and the Levchenko Horizons to Conway City leg not having any white dwarfs suitably placed. In fact, it might have been easier to use them on an anti-clockwise run.

Once again, thank you and well done to everyone who took part! Fly Fast! (At Total Recall 3, 'flyve' fast as well!)
M5TjJnM.png
Congrat's to Darplata but - oh my god - I know that Ozric will like nothing better than to learn he's be beaten by 3 seconds, especially at the VERY last moment.
😬 😐🤭😂

Thanks very much to @Edelgard von Rhein for organising this incredibly fun race - I've got so much to learn to improve my times - even with an attempt using the "Remlok Express" I couldn't get anywhere close to the times at the top of the table, so I'm looking forward to the next event to meet some more racers, get to grips with some new techniques and under-perform some more :)

o7 Commanders!

Top Bottom