Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm reading posts that have been regurgitating the same utterly disrespectful...and in some cases, bordering on personally insulting... crap for years and endless iterations of this forum section...
The question is why does the SC cult push this nonsense? The answer of course is that SC is a scam community.

Edited for better context.

Even better context :D

QT0vMUR.png

I hear 7-8 years throwing around here a lot, but people tend to forget that even ED was in developement for more than a decade before it even hit kickstarter.
Is this wrong then?

As Cotic has neatly pointed out, that's small team skunkworks, not well staffed production.

CIG has been in the latter state for well over 6 years, which makes the comparison an apples and oranges one. And is the reason CIG gets knocks for being so far from a deliverable state.

If we take 70-100 dedicated staffing as a sign that development has started in earnest:

CIG hit 70-100 staffing approx Aug 2013

Chris terms 2011 the start of 'early prototyping & production'

They then steadily scaled up, especially with the help of outsourcing, and started work on the modular game aspects that would form the backbone of the game’s tech and gameplay loops:

Internal Staffing + Outsourced Staffing:

For comparison:

Elite hit 70-100 staffing approx Jan 2013+

ED’s full production run was seemingly pretty swift. Approximately two years:

The exact start of 'full production' is a bit fuzzy, but using the end of Kickstarter seems a reasonable line to draw for a rough estimate:

Q: Okay, let’s talk about the team. How many people are working on the game right now?

A: It’s still at a skunkworks stage now, and the plan is to increase it beyond that once we’ve got the thumbs up from Kickstarter. [6 November 2012]

I have wanted to do a sequel for a long time, and there has been 'skunk-works' development, on and off for quite some time, but full on development is mostly since (and somewhat during) the Kickstarter campaign.

APPROXIMATE 'FULL PRODUCTION' DATES:

Elite Dangerous:
Approx: 2 Years

Once they entered that stage their staffing rose to approximately 70-100. Certainly it had hit those levels by May 2014. Speaking of the 'Elite Dangerous team' Braben said 'between 70-100 people are closely involved'.

(I'm probably high-balling the ED staffing at that point. They likely scaled up to those levels over time.)

Current State of Play:

SC: Approx 500 staffing. No games released.

ED: Approx 100+ dedicated devs. 1 game released 2 years after the start of full production. 1 PDLC released after 3 years. Various Free DLCs since.

The Vast Majority of Games with 70+ Staffing and 6 Years+ Since The Start of Full Production.... Game either released or canned.

CIG's approach and output is not normal within the industry. It seems silly to try and state that it is.

(Whether it's different because it's touched by genius, or mired in missteps, seems to depend on the viewer ;))

Last edited:
No thank you for VR, why waste development time on something only a few people want? VR has a long way to go before it becomes worth it.

Has VR even caught on yet? I know they are trying to do it on consoles, to bring in more people. But, even there it’s lame, as per my kids and their friends.

Agreed, no need for VR in a third person persipective game. If SC was meant to be played first person then i'd see a case. Sure, you can play first person in SC, but from watching streams, almost everyone is running third person.

Of course, for a real immersive experience, apparently VR can be a major boon. People who have it for ED say its a game changer.

Thing is, i wonder what you would be saying if CR said that VR was going to happen and its a top priority.

Is this turning once again into an Fdev/Elite v Ci¬G/Star Citizen thread? If so, I'm out...

I'm reading posts that have been regurgitating the same utterly disrespectful...and in some cases, bordering on personally insulting... crap for years and endless iterations of this forum section...do we really need to be going down this route every single year? I know some folks would just love for this to be another SA echo chamber...but it's not.

Shame. (rings bell)

Where is Yaffle?

Just catching up. I cannot believe what I have read on the last couple of pages. Actually I am actually in shock.

No on should dismiss VR as being irrelevant to a game with space flight. Having spent two years flying space ships in VR, this tech cannot be dismissed. It's a must have. I grant that the resolution needs to improve, but the spacial awareness and feel is sensational. This is the difference between night and day it is that marked. I grant that in an FPS game it might not be great movement wise, but I suspect someone will innovate and produce movement tech and then it will be the same for FPS.

For those dismissing it. As Citizens with your expensive space ships and decent rigs, I heartily recommend passing on one ship and getting a VR headset and a sale copy of ED and trying it.

Video sums up my discussions with backers at CitCon. I had a very similar experience. People were much more knowledgable and mature than I thought. Had some deep debates about development and issues with backers who were in different fields some were from bigger software companies too.

Agreed, no need for VR in a third person persipective game. If SC was meant to be played first person then i'd see a case. Sure, you can play first person in SC, but from watching streams, almost everyone is running third person.

Of course, for a real immersive experience, apparently VR can be a major boon. People who have it for ED say its a game changer.

Thing is, i wonder what you would be saying if CR said that VR was going to happen and its a top priority.

I personally wouldn’t do anything. I don’t like to wear a ski mask while playing video games. I prefer my ultrawide monitor. Now if they could make them the size of aviator glasses. I would be all over that.

Just catching up. I cannot believe what I have read on the last couple of pages. Actually I am actually in shock.

No on should dismiss VR as being irrelevant to a game with space flight. Having spent two years flying space ships in VR, this tech cannot be dismissed. It's a must have. I grant that the resolution needs to improve, but the spacial awareness and feel is sensational. This is the difference between night and day it is that marked. I grant that in an FPS game it might not be great movement wise, but I suspect someone will innovate and produce movement tech and then it will be the same for FPS.

For those dismissing it. As Citizens with your expensive space ships and decent rigs, I heartily recommend passing on one ship and getting a VR headset and a sale copy of ED and trying it.

If this is directed at me. I bought all first waves of VR and returned them. As for ED, I have thousands of hours in it. I use to say billions of credits, but, from what I’ve seen lately that’s meaningless.

VR could be great, but, we are not there yet.

No on should dismiss VR as being irrelevant to a game with space flight. Having spent two years flying space ships in VR, this tech cannot be dismissed. It's a must have. I grant that the resolution needs to improve, but the spacial awareness and feel is sensational.
For me its not just the resolution that is the deal breaker for VR it is the lack of comfort.
I've had a vive since release day in the UK but I hardly ever use it because it's just too big and uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

as you say tho it really is a game changer in Elite and you finally get a sense of real scale, I just wish I could use it more than an hour or 2 without coming out feeling like I've been scuba diving for 4 hours.

as jmp470 says VR isn't gonna take off in a big way until it's like putting on (and taking off) a pair of sunglasses. (or a baseball cap with lenses on the skip :)

Edit: i'd say for every 1 hour I play elite in VR I play about 300 in 2d (VR elite is fantastic there's no denying that, VR headsets on the other hand are not)

Last edited:
It is a game changer. For example i can barely get my ship through the mail slot using a flat screen. It's a totally different point of view, and no it's not like "3D screens". You are inside the ship and your brain gets fooled to the point you brace if you are going to hit something.
There are also a lot of misconceptions about having screens next to your eyes (you dont) or the need for glasses if you need correction (you still need them) since you still focus normally. It's not unlike wearing a helmet which fits the piloting sims. As for the "ski mask" effect that was old DK2 and first HTC Vive that used that ski mask strap to press the visor on your face, Oculus and gen2 helmets such as Valve Index are using a top suspension mount which is much more comfortable on long sessions.

The thing is, he did, and at length... And before they introduced the baked-in mandatory transitions when using ladders or sitting, it was still possible. 3rd person actually works better in VR when having a moving character, Edge of Nowhere uses that technique exactly (or Chronos).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom