Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It’ll be sad when they’ve fixed the bugs - they appear to be major source of gameplay :)
I'm becoming quite glad of the bugs since I've rediscovered mining...they're keeping me away from sitting in a Caterpillar at least. I'm really enjoying this mining lark now. After watching a few vids and taking advice from a few of the career SC miners out there, I've discovered a mostly untapped and rarely visited asteroid belt unmarked on the Mobiglas starmap...it's chock full of mining resources, both ship stuff and FPS ...I also bought myself a top end Helix mining head for the Prospector, the cost made my eyes water a bit (108k aUEC) but boy was it worth it. :)

Funnily enough, the Aaron Halo asteroid belt is marked on the main Ark starmap on the website...but not on the in game Mobiglas map, even though it's physically there in game and full of very rich mining resources. Not having any QT markers means you have to manually drop out of a QT jump, not that difficult though, especially since having Delamar still there in the Stanton system instead of Nyx where it's supposed to be, the Aaron Halo belt is mid way between Delamar and the CRU L5 R&R stop and pretty vast so it's not like you can miss it. It's actually a much shorter travel distance than heading to Crusader then Daymar...or Hurston, ArcCorps, Microtec and associated moons for ground mining or the Yela belt for asteroids...

Once I can afford to get the Mole fitted out with some Helix heads, I'll take that out there for a trip. The extra ore capacity will make it well worthwhile even running the Mole solo...

iXnKv19.png

I also had a melting spree of the current fleet. Got rid of the large and basically useless stuff I could never fly solo...even assuming they ever get into the game in the first place... I melted my 2 larger ships (Hull D and BMM original concepts) to grab the Entrepeneur package...
LpPHHbe.png
The Entrepeneur package consists of 4 small/medium sized industrial ships which are certainly more useful to me as a solo player... and another Ursa rover to add to my growing collection of them...the package also includes another 20k UEC starting credits to add to the 250k I already have (all bought with spare store credit), LTI on all of the ships and left me with some more store credit as well as a free Sqn 42 download which I've never bothered adding up till now. The big ships I melted go straight into buyback anyway...so if I ever want them back to CCU them for something else, I can shove some more store credit back to Ci¬G. All the shuffling around has still cost me $0.00 new cash plus I've gained a few ships and extras once again.

fleetyards-my-hangar-fleetchart.png

Last edited:
Part two of my v3.8 experience. I finally configured my hotas enough to be able to get my ship out of the underground hangar. I figured out that I needed to communicate with the ground control in order to get the overhead door to open. An empty window popped up and vanished again without me hearing anything or seeing any text comms on the screen, but the door opened. More dodgy half-done features - they really need to improve UI feedback for things. I also now really appreciate the landing pad raising/lowering that Frontier have done.

Not to mention the much better Elite UI that is actually practical to operate with the hotas. I reckon Elite's UI design must have been done with VR and consoles in mind. Both have limited input devices (no KB/mouse) and Elite's simple UI reflects that.

I was able to QT from Hurston to Microtech (I really wanted to see the winter landscape). That was really cool (ha ha). Again, being able to get out and wander in the snow amongst the rocks and trees was great. This aspect of Space Legs is what I really want to see in Elite. 🤞

I then tried logging out in the bed (I'd flown my 315p) on the surface of Microtech. When I next logged on I was in space right next to the Stanton star! So much for persistence. At least I wan't back in the bunk on Hurston.

Fuel was successfully persistent - and a bit low. I had enough to get to Hurston and after a lot of faffing about trying to get some sort of landing clearance, with absolutely no feedback or apparent indication of where my landing pad was, plus a whole lot of autopilot overrides taking me away from the starport, I found the open hole at the space port that looked like it might be my landing pad (it was). There is no landing aid like Elite's ground radar, so I found switching to third person was best for lining up with the hole. Maybe there were some HUD indicators I missed. I don't know. As they say, any landing you can walk away from is a success.

I have high hopes for Frontiers New Era. I'm convinced it involves Space Legs (ever since they added Holo Me to the game, actually) and there were some web site leaks referring to buying Buildings with ARX, so I expect base building is going to be a thing. Just that is going to be huge for Elite.

I have lower expectations for New Era planetary surfaces. Star Citizen's planetary surfaces are absolutely awesome. I want them for Elite, but I don't expect anything like that for the New Era. Not to begin with anyway. Maybe some upgraded environments for the rocky/icy worlds. We've already seen improved ice surfaces and they've talked about improved rock and surface rendering.

It's exciting to see the progress Star Citizen is making. I like the different design and development choices made by the two games (SC and ED). I think it would be terrible if the two of them were doing the same thing at the same time. Space is big, really big and there's plenty of room for both of them, even if I hope they will eventually end up at more or less the same place.

Oh sovapid.....

EDIT, just providing link as was going to put it in spoiler tags, but probably still against FD rules. Naughty word in there.

https: //i.imgur.com/OPDQdyp.png

Damn fancy forums, can't even do a link without out displaying a copy of the image. Remove the space between s and slash and post it into your address bar.

Let the salt flow.

Yeah, I'll occasionally do player bounty hunting. It isn't something you do if you want to make fast credits. If the player is in a bigger ship, they don't die unless they want to or are really terrible. And if someone knows you are hunting them and start running around the system I just switch targets. With armistice zones where you can't shoot at all, it is pretty easy to troll bounty hunters. When they show up to take my bounty, I am almost always looking for a fight, so I give them a go.

A player in EVA normally dies to ship gun fire, never heard of that not working.

For the image, just use the "Insert link" functionality. Also works when trying to link to a timestamp in a youtube video, but the forum keeps eating the timestamp link.

Your image....

I had enough to get to Hurston and after a lot of faffing about trying to get some sort of landing clearance, with absolutely no feedback or apparent indication of where my landing pad was, plus a whole lot of autopilot overrides taking me away from the starport, I found the open hole at the space port that looked like it might be my landing pad (it was). There is no landing aid like Elite's ground radar, so I found switching to third person was best for lining up with the hole. Maybe there were some HUD indicators I missed. I don't know. As they say, any landing you can walk away from is a success.

When you call for landing clearance and they give it to, your landing spot is indicated by a little wrench (or spanner for you funny words people). But yeah, the UI is bad compared to ED.

When you call for landing clearance and they give it to, your landing spot is indicated by a little wrench (or spanner for you funny words people). But yeah, the UI is bad compared to ED.
Now that you mention it I do remember seeing a wrench. Thinking about it some more, I think I needed to ask for landing clearance twice. The first time there was nothing to see (no wrench), but the second time I got the wrench. Again, the lack of any feedback, either go or no go, is a problem. Now that I know what to look for, a wrench is better than nothing. With Elite we've got the compass indicator, a right in front of us landing pad clearance message with pad number, a lit-up holographic blue pad number and orange pad outline showing us the way. Frontier really do spoil us...

There is so much UI work to be done in SC. So, so much. I remember trying to figure out how to get to microtech. In-system navigation in SC is exactly like navigating in ED using only the orrery view. Having the option in ED for the system diagram view or just the navigation list in the left cockpit view is so much better.

I'm becoming quite glad of the bugs since I've rediscovered mining...they're keeping me away from sitting in a Caterpillar at least. I'm really enjoying this mining lark now. After watching a few vids and taking advice from a few of the career SC miners out there, I've discovered a mostly untapped and rarely visited asteroid belt unmarked on the Mobiglas starmap...it's chock full of mining resources, both ship stuff and FPS ...I also bought myself a top end Helix mining head for the Prospector, the cost made my eyes water a bit (108k aUEC) but boy was it worth it. :)

Funnily enough, the Aaron Halo asteroid belt is marked on the main Ark starmap on the website...but not on the in game Mobiglas map, even though it's physically there in game and full of very rich mining resources. Not having any QT markers means you have to manually drop out of a QT jump, not that difficult though, especially since having Delamar still there in the Stanton system instead of Nyx where it's supposed to be, the Aaron Halo belt is mid way between Delamar and the CRU L5 R&R stop and pretty vast so it's not like you can miss it. It's actually a much shorter travel distance than heading to Crusader then Daymar...or Hurston, ArcCorps, Microtec and associated moons for ground mining or the Yela belt for asteroids...

Once I can afford to get the Mole fitted out with some Helix heads, I'll take that out there for a trip. The extra ore capacity will make it well worthwhile even running the Mole solo...

iXnKv19.png

I also had a melting spree of the current fleet. Got rid of the large and basically useless stuff I could never fly solo...even assuming they ever get into the game in the first place... I melted my 2 larger ships (Hull D and BMM original concepts) to grab the Entrepeneur package...
LpPHHbe.png
The Entrepeneur package consists of 4 small/medium sized industrial ships which are certainly more useful to me as a solo player... and another Ursa rover to add to my growing collection of them...the package also includes another 20k UEC starting credits to add to the 250k I already have (all bought with spare store credit), LTI on all of the ships and left me with some more store credit as well as a free Sqn 42 download which I've never bothered adding up till now. The big ships I melted go straight into buyback anyway...so if I ever want them back to CCU them for something else, I can shove some more store credit back to Ci¬G. All the shuffling around has still cost me $0.00 new cash plus I've gained a few ships and extras once again.

You melted the BMM? You should have held onto it! One day it will be priceless! Ship value can only go up and up!

Part two of my v3.8 experience. I finally configured my hotas enough to be able to get my ship out of the underground hangar. I figured out that I needed to communicate with the ground control in order to get the overhead door to open. An empty window popped up and vanished again without me hearing anything or seeing any text comms on the screen, but the door opened. More dodgy half-done features - they really need to improve UI feedback for things. I also now really appreciate the landing pad raising/lowering that Frontier have done.

Not to mention the much better Elite UI that is actually practical to operate with the hotas. I reckon Elite's UI design must have been done with VR and consoles in mind. Both have limited input devices (no KB/mouse) and Elite's simple UI reflects that.

I was able to QT from Hurston to Microtech (I really wanted to see the winter landscape). That was really cool (ha ha). Again, being able to get out and wander in the snow amongst the rocks and trees was great. This aspect of Space Legs is what I really want to see in Elite. 🤞

I then tried logging out in the bed (I'd flown my 315p) on the surface of Microtech. When I next logged on I was in space right next to the Stanton star! So much for persistence. At least I wan't back in the bunk on Hurston.

Fuel was successfully persistent - and a bit low. I had enough to get to Hurston and after a lot of faffing about trying to get some sort of landing clearance, with absolutely no feedback or apparent indication of where my landing pad was, plus a whole lot of autopilot overrides taking me away from the starport, I found the open hole at the space port that looked like it might be my landing pad (it was). There is no landing aid like Elite's ground radar, so I found switching to third person was best for lining up with the hole. Maybe there were some HUD indicators I missed. I don't know. As they say, any landing you can walk away from is a success.

I have high hopes for Frontiers New Era. I'm convinced it involves Space Legs (ever since they added Holo Me to the game, actually) and there were some web site leaks referring to buying Buildings with ARX, so I expect base building is going to be a thing. Just that is going to be huge for Elite.

I have lower expectations for New Era planetary surfaces. Star Citizen's planetary surfaces are absolutely awesome. I want them for Elite, but I don't expect anything like that for the New Era. Not to begin with anyway. Maybe some upgraded environments for the rocky/icy worlds. We've already seen improved ice surfaces and they've talked about improved rock and surface rendering.

It's exciting to see the progress Star Citizen is making. I like the different design and development choices made by the two games (SC and ED). I think it would be terrible if the two of them were doing the same thing at the same time. Space is big, really big and there's plenty of room for both of them, even if I hope they will eventually end up at more or less the same place.

Nice post, although i wouldn't call the progress exciting personally. I'd say comedic. But whatever floats your boat.

Regarding the design choices... yes. Two very similar games in concept. ED pulls on its rich history of Elite games and builds on that. SC pulls on every single sci-fi trope and setting out there and rips it off. :D

But glad you are finding something in SC to enjoy.

Yeah, I'll occasionally do player bounty hunting. It isn't something you do if you want to make fast credits. If the player is in a bigger ship, they don't die unless they want to or are really terrible. And if someone knows you are hunting them and start running around the system I just switch targets. With armistice zones where you can't shoot at all, it is pretty easy to troll bounty hunters. When they show up to take my bounty, I am almost always looking for a fight, so I give them a go.

A player in EVA normally dies to ship gun fire, never heard of that not working.

For the image, just use the "Insert link" functionality. Also works when trying to link to a timestamp in a youtube video, but the forum keeps eating the timestamp link.

Your image....

Sooo... what's your thoughts on combat logging in SC then?

I thought CIG promised to wave their magic wand and ensure this wouldn't happen? That ships would persist after someone logs.

Sooo... what's your thoughts on combat logging in SC then?

I thought CIG promised to wave their magic wand and ensure this wouldn't happen? That ships would persist after someone logs.

The ship does. For player bounty hunting you have to kill the player though (and ramming kills dont count, have to shoot. Or now kill with melee combat). So you can combat log on a bounty hunter. The bounty hunter can still destroy your ship.

I hope it is something they fix, that the player character stays in for a bit after you log out to prevent this at some point.

There are plenty of ways to troll bounty hunters as it is. Don't even have to log out. Just suicide and the bounty hunter won't get your bounty and you'll spawn in an armistice zone.

Now traders or miners..... If you have a caterpillar with 1 million credits worth of cargo, you combat log, you are guaranteed to lose that cargo.

My tip...stop running game versus game comparisons with Elite as you're playing Star Citizen, you'll get along much better ;)

That's not as flippant as it sounds BTW, read the info on the patch you're playing...take note of the bugs and workarounds from that info specifically for 3.8 which is a bug fest as it stands...but most of all, instead of muddling through with half implemented control sets and guessing what's wrong...ask in chat...or on here, someone will drop some advice.

There are no comparisons with Elite and Star Citizen except they both contain pixel spaceships. One is a game we've all played for a considerable time...the other is a buggy unreleased mess...with broken stuff or partially finished features. Once you kinda accept that, forget the politics of trying to justify to this lot why you like something about it and just play what's there... you can actually enjoy it. A few of us do.

Last edited:
You melted the BMM? You should have held onto it! One day it will be priceless! Ship value can only go up and up!
It's in buyback for the same original price I bought it for $250, current price is around $400...I can still get it back with store credit and sell it for a profit on the grey market, melt it or CCU it as it goes up in price nearer release...if it gets there. Melting doesn't mean losing ;)

The ship does. For player bounty hunting you have to kill the player though (and ramming kills dont count, have to shoot. Or now kill with melee combat). So you can combat log on a bounty hunter. The bounty hunter can still destroy your ship.

I hope it is something they fix, that the player character stays in for a bit after you log out to prevent this at some point.

There are plenty of ways to troll bounty hunters as it is. Don't even have to log out. Just suicide and the bounty hunter won't get your bounty and you'll spawn in an armistice zone.

Now traders or miners..... If you have a caterpillar with 1 million credits worth of cargo, you combat log, you are guaranteed to lose that cargo.

Yup, and the reason combat logging isn't much of a thing in SC compared to Elite...losing all your credits and cargo and still having a bounty if you had one when you log back in, it's worth fighting for, trying to escape... or even negotiating with the bounty hunters. I've noted a few of the smarter hunters RP'ing the game that will allow the mark to land, sell their cargo and then being brought to justice for an extra payout of aUEC via a beacon. It helps the mark to get rid of the pesky crimestat, bounty hunter gets an extra bonus.

The fact that a smart hunter can scan the ship and see what cargo is being carried can also feed into that...a negotiated removal of the crimestat can work to the benefit of both parties :)

Of course...there are just plain trolls who like to see stuff explode...but you take the rough with the smooth.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing ED and SC. They are so similar... but they're also different. There's lots of things in SC that I wish were in ED and vice versa. They'll both get there eventually - I hope!

I am having a lot of fun just learning the game, trying my various ships (an Aurora (MR?), Mustang Beta and 315p) and walking around on planets. Basically, doing the things I can't do in Elite (yet). Next time I'm on I'll have to see if someone might let me try one of the ground vehicles...

QT times are too fast, what's next? Instant portals?

Heh, some quality debate going on there.

As one poster points out, you can't make an appeal to realism here, since the travel times are unreal once you get above light speed and its all fantasy anyway. All anyone should be saying is how long they personally would like it to take to travel certain distances, and that's just a matter of preference.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom