Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I was thinking the request for longer SC was sarcasm, but as I read more comments like this I was less sure ;)

1577797699350.png

Heh, some quality debate going on there.

As one poster points out, you can't make an appeal to realism here, since the travel times are unreal once you get above light speed and its all fantasy anyway. All anyone should be saying is how long they personally would like it to take to travel certain distances, and that's just a matter of preference.
QT is below speed of light though, but still it's all science fiction anyway.

Hellion wanted to do ultra realistic at first, because that it was "us" (ie: the people singing its praises initially) wanted. The devs discovered that what "us" want doesn't sell many copies though.....

This is at the heart of my long held feeling that companies making games should hold to their core idea for their game, and use the forum to cherry pick only the best of the ideas from their community that are in harmony with that idea, and politely ignore all the other rubbish excellent ideas that the 2%* of their customer base posts.

* The oft quoted rule of thumb is 90:8:2. 90% of a game's player base doesn't spend any significant time on a forum. 8% do, but very rarely post. And we are the remaining 2%, bleating on endlessly. (I had heard other ratios, but thay are all broadly the same.)

Sorry to go a bit OT.

This is at the heart of my long held feeling that companies making games should hold to their core idea for their game, and use the forum to cherry pick only the best of the ideas from their community that are in harmony with that idea, and politely ignore all the other rubbish excellent ideas that the 2%* of their customer base posts.

* The oft quoted rule of thumb is 90:8:2. 90% of a game's player base doesn't spend any significant time on a forum. 8% do, but very rarely post. And we are the remaining 2%, bleating on endlessly. (I had heard other ratios, but thay are all broadly the same.)

Sorry to go a bit OT.

Maybe this is a ratio that will also change over time?

I used to be a player who never participated in community discussion on forums. just playing the game until I m done or bored and move on. Over time when game became more complex or demanding I checked out the forums for tips and advice, guides and checking out new stuff to come (WoW was the first time I started to engage on forums). Often enough it hasnt been about the game but over people as well. Trolls are a century old profession that hasnt been invented int he digital age. You always have had the prankster, the joker or simply the annoying guy running interference. The internet just makes these folks more encountarable.

Fast forward another 10-15 years and every game that catches my interest makes me check out the forums and depending on the posts I read I participate. Usually its just to share my view or to help out when I have the impression that I know an answer. Division 2, Grim Dawn, World of Warships, World of Warcraft, Borderlands 3, Ubisoft forums etc etc. Been a part of forums for a long time now.

At its core game related forums are a meeting place for people of like-minded interests. Just like when you go to a party and dont know anybody except for the person you accompany and you run into strangers who also play the games you play....instant connection. I enjoy exchanging views and opinions or talk about my "best moments". Some topics are touchy and best to be avoided (politicvs for example) and you sometimes run into the obnoxious folks who start out with stuff like "yeah, I know that game, isnt that the one only the losers play?" and you either sideline or avoid "those guys". Most forums resemble the agressive groups where people shout over each other, use ridicule or strong language to score points or outright shove each other physically at which point it becomes a bar fight and this happens every day around the world in bars...over nothing basically (tho I recently had an EPIC encounter which could ve gone the wrong way easily). But once in a while you come among a group (forum) where people respect other opinions, talk from experience and listen instead of shouting others down. When you talk you get the impression that others turn and listen to what you have to say, then evaluate and respond to your input rather then ignoring it.

Not everybody likes talking but I think the older gamers become the more they are interested in exchange so maybe forum interaction will go on the rise?

Hmm, I was thinking the request for longer SC was sarcasm, but as I read more comments like this I was less sure ;)

View attachment 157303
I remember much the same many, many threads of utter idiocy during the ship transport nonsense with Elite...folks all talking of realism in a game with pixel spaceships whilst totally avoiding discussion on their blind acceptance of the myriad of other blatant instances of pure handwavium used to portray life as a spaceship pilot. My general observation is that a certain select group of lunatics can get overly fixated in a completely non existent science fact instead of the more enjoyable and infinitely more playable handwavium of science fiction. It's getting the balance of the handwavium to an enjoyable and acceptable level in a game that depicts a completely imaginary gameworld that's the issue.

Star Citizen isn't the only game plagued by the types that keep bringing it up ;)

Last edited:
Indeed.

I thought you could get above light speed in QT, i guess with the 1/4 scale planets and them being much closer together than in real life, there is no need.
...SC's planets are 1/6th to scale, not a 1/4. Still plenty big enough though. If they'd been any bigger or even 1:1 scale as in Elite's depictions of both real and imaginary systems, planets or moons, it wouldn't serve any gameplay purpose other than semantics for the incredibly nit-picky ;)

The real 1:1 scale galaxy is a thing unique to Elite, SC has it's own representations of it's planets and moons and that's OK too.

Last edited:
Oh yea, not to mention they basically scrapped what they had done between 2012 and 2014 and started over and have completely redone every asset in the game.
To add to this. I hear this argument alot that they scrapped things and start development, not only for SC but also for other games like Mound & Blade: Bannerlord, for example. I don't see how this could be used as an argument to support continual development. If they had spent years developing it and have failed so hard they had to restart from scratch then maybe there's someting fundamentally wrong with either their concept/plans or their ability to bring their concept to reality.

With regards to Star Citizen. They had pitched their crowd funding based on the statement that they had been developeing the game for a year prior to the croudfunding. If they had to restart everything and scrap previous work, doesn't that mean development had failed and new development is basically a new game with the same name? The concept isn't even the same.

I find it funny and frustrating at the same time that despite CIG stating they are focusing on developping SQ42, etc, they still have new things and ships to show for at Citcon. I can't imagine art assets for SQ42 being 100% complete and yet CIG are showing everything except stuff in SQ42.

I remember much the same many, many threads of utter idiocy during the ship transport nonsense with Elite...folks all talking of realism in a game with pixel spaceships whilst totally avoiding discussion on their blind acceptance of the myriad of other blatant instances of pure handwavium used to portray life as a spaceship pilot. My general observation is that a certain select group of lunatics can get overly fixated in a completely non existent science fact instead of the more enjoyable and infinitely more playable handwavium of science fiction. It's getting the balance of the handwavium to an enjoyable and acceptable level in a game that depicts a completely imaginary gameworld that's the issue.

Star Citizen isn't the only game plagued by the types that keep bringing it up ;)
I don't think pooh-poohing the players who think fast travel is bad in a game which claims to be science fiction and not fantasy is gonna win any arguments here...... The majority of players in ED felt the same way (thank god).
Wanting a game with internal consistency and proper science fiction does not make them lunatics...... It's does however make you sound pretty petulant calling them so however ;)

The handwavium needed in ED at the time I believed was largely because FD wanted to get the game out of the door I truly believed over the life of the game these blanks would have been filled in or fleshed out.
SC on the other hand was always marketed different with the view of it will be done proper or will delay until it is done proper with no compromise.
CIG therefore have given themselves quite the challebge imo and have to get it right, or otherwise look fools after years of digs about the short cuts other games have taken that SC would not do.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing ED and SC.

In theory, no. In practice, yes. Both games have (different) massive issues, yet both have attracted a degree of cult following that will go to war on your head if these issues get mentioned, and go completely berserk if you dared taking the other game as a better way to do it. Thus your attempt at discussion through a (possibly useful) comparison starts a holy crusade which instantly births a counter-crusade by the opposing faction. Before you know it, 4 pages have been filled of whataboutism and ad hominem and mods have to intervene. It'll happen here, it'll happen on Spectrum, it'll happen on Reddit, it's a global war spanning multiple time-zones at that point.

For the sanity of the forums denizens, let's just refrain from comparing.

Not sure if joking ....

View attachment 157292

Some of these people are serious. And loopy. It is impossible to tell if it is sarcasm or not. I've seen people wanting it to take 40 hours to go across the SC universe. Hoping they mean the 100 system launch (lol) and not the 5 SC will probably go live with (if at all)....

Stanton is a tiny system. Maybe 4 or 5 AU at most.

Sure, great if all the system's are midget systems like Stanton. But Sol and its 30 AU radius.... Would take a day of game time just to get to Neptune.

Yes, and in that day of game time you’ll be able to place options on stocks, read news broadcasts, change fuses, mop floors, issue org orders, inspect your cargo, get land base status updates, book a sandwurmie hunting trip, mix drinks, participate in ad hoc musicals, design new paint jobs, discover new jump points, put a plastic bag on your head and dance with a big bennys machine.

I don't think pooh-poohing the players who think fast travel is bad in a game which claims to be science fiction and not fantasy is gonna win any arguments here...... The majority of players in ED felt the same way (thank god).
Wanting a game with internal consistency and proper science fiction does not make them lunatics...... It's does however make you sound pretty petulant calling them so however ;)

The handwavium needed in ED at the time I believed was largely because FD wanted to get the game out of the door I truly believed over the life of the game these blanks would have been filled in or fleshed out.
SC on the other hand was always marketed different with the view of it will be done proper or will delay until it is done proper with no compromise.
CIG therefore have given themselves quite the challebge imo and have to get it right, or otherwise look fools after years of digs about the short cuts other games have taken that SC would not do.
I only aim the pooh-poohing at the few that take the whole 'realism' in an imaginary space setting way too seriously, Mike. Neither Elite nor Star Citizen is Space Engineers or DCS...no matter what fell out of Chris Roberts mouth, yet both are enjoyable in their own way if you can ignore...for the greater part... that handwavium is alive and well and both rely in on it greatly.

I'm a proponent of enjoyable gameplay over pedantic realism and I'm more than willing to ignore any desire for realism or science fact included just to satisfy someone's inability to suspend belief... just the same way I can readily accept there are dragons and magic in Skyrim...I'm sure nobody worried overly much about the flight physics of the dragons :)

I only aim the pooh-poohing at the few that take the whole 'realism' in an imaginary space setting way too seriously, Mike. Neither Elite nor Star Citizen is Space Engineers or DCS...no matter what fell out of Chris Roberts mouth, yet both are enjoyable in their own way if you can ignore...for the greater part... that handwavium is alive and well and both rely in on it greatly.

I'm a proponent of enjoyable gameplay over pedantic realism and I'm more than willing to ignore any desire for realism or science fact included just to satisfy someone's inability to suspend belief... just the same way I can readily accept there are dragons and magic in Skyrim...I'm sure nobody worried overly much about the flight physics of the dragons :)
To many people don't understand what science FICTION means. I mean it isn't too difficult there's a clue in the term after all 😉

Last edited:
Well it’s almost 2020! Any predictions for SC?
  • no SQ42?
  • crytek court case resolved...how?
  • number of new ships?
  • appearances of Sandi/Chris?
  • new investors?
  • mop mini game implementation?
:) happy NYE everybody and thanks for the lols in 2019

Oh this is a bad idea. I'll bite :D

• no SQ42? Beta for 'Chapter 1' makes it end of 2020. Features some jank.
  • crytek court case resolved...how? Who knows man, it's a jury case. 50/1 on Sandi strangling someone though...
  • number of new ships? > the number of old ships that get their gameplay added
  • appearances of Sandi/Chris? See court case
  • new investors? Yep. Whales.
  • mop mini game implementation? Mop macro game implemented... Clean up space with the new Aegis Duster: Eat through dangerous space detritus, clearing the spaceways for your fellow Commandos! Munches above its weight...

Happy New Year spaceheads :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom