Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well it’s almost 2020! Any predictions for SC?
  • no SQ42?
  • crytek court case resolved...how?
  • number of new ships?
  • appearances of Sandi/Chris?
  • new investors?
  • mop mini game implementation?
:) happy NYE everybody and thanks for the lols in 2019

Some of my predictions:
  • Squadron 42 beta will be pushed well back into 2021 or beyond, maybe they'll squeeze out some single mission "prelude" demo in the meantime with massively reduced functionality so that they can pretend they've delivered while continuing to hide behind their usual "it's just the alpha, the real thing will be better" defense.
  • CIG somehow shrugs off the court case, probably through some private settlement that will be hailed by both sides as a win.
  • There will be a new planet, with some gimmicky feature like rain or flocks of birds. Maybe it will be parked on the other side of one of those Wipeout-style interactive tunnel cutscenes to give the impression of multiple systems. Which will cause all sorts of exciting new network problems.
  • There will be 3 or 4 new technical buzzwords created to give the ongoing impression that the jesus patch technology is still just around the corner.

I only aim the pooh-poohing at the few that take the whole 'realism' in an imaginary space setting way too seriously, Mike. Neither Elite nor Star Citizen is Space Engineers or DCS...no matter what fell out of Chris Roberts mouth, yet both are enjoyable in their own way if you can ignore...for the greater part... that handwavium is alive and well and both rely in on it greatly.

I'm a proponent of enjoyable gameplay over pedantic realism and I'm more than willing to ignore any desire for realism or science fact included just to satisfy someone's inability to suspend belief... just the same way I can readily accept there are dragons and magic in Skyrim...I'm sure nobody worried overly much about the flight physics of the dragons :)
Fair point . ... And there does need to be balance... Generally tho imo it's better to be too conservative and then relax over time because once you go too far the other way you can't pull it back without people raging.

To many people don't understand what science FICTION means. I'm mean it isn't too difficult there's a clue in the term after all 😉
Actually I think you are focussing on the wrong word in the name ;).
Sure its fiction but (good) science fiction is grounded in science theory, and almost as importantly good game/story/film design in general is consistent with its own lore/rules.

Of course realism does not trump fun... But imo the best sci-fi games manage to keep fun AND versimilitude.
As for Skyrim. That game is (very good,) fantasy.
Personally I have higher expectations from sci-fi than I do fantasy.
Note I am not picking sides with SC or ED here. I am hoping both games will take internal consistency seriously.

As for predictions..... I am (sadly,) confident we won't see any S42 launch even beta in 2020

Maybe this is a ratio that will also change over time?

Possibly. I would also imagine the ratio varies (in all directions) by the age of the game, age of the player base, the type of the game, platform(s) and so on. However the ratio has been often quoted by Brett C here, and others elsewhere, as an 'industry standard' and as being a decent indicator of how representative those who post on forums are of a total customer base.

This isn't to devalue what is posted, but it is helpful to keep things in perspective, and aligns to my feeling that the game developer is ultimately best placed to understand the underlying ethos and design goals, and so direct the game's progression as best they can, or want to.

Actually I think you are focussing on the wrong word in the name ;).
Sure its fiction but (good) science fiction is grounded in science theory, and almost as importantly good game/story/film design in general is consistent with its own lore/rules.

Of course realism does not trump fun... But imo the best sci-fi games manage to keep fun AND versimilitude.
As for Skyrim. That game is (very good,) fantasy.
Personally I have higher expectations from sci-fi than I do fantasy.
Note I am not picking sides with SC or ED here. I am hoping both games will take internal consistency seriously.

As for predictions..... I am (sadly,) confident we won't see any S42 launch even beta in 2020
Ah but that starts the discussion about what would be "good" science fiction. And that discussion would cause more hassle than all the other SC threads put together 😉

If the rumor is true and investors are bailing out, CIg is/will use Calder money for bailing them. Thus mid next year money will end, Calder will ask where is Squadron 54, major downsizing begins and soon the end.

Prediction:

I'll put in for an eleventh-hour delay on the Squadron 42 alpha/beta.
Post-year-end-sale and while they're on winter break.
The Wing Commander becomes a Freelancer
I'm terrible a quatrains.

Thing is if these numbers are like this are 60k new backers 20 Million $ NSR and legit. I think CIG would marketing this. But ist is like this.
9 years dev time no game shipped. And People giving CR still money. What do CR need to release the BDSsE?

Welp...Happy Wednesday everyone. It's a normal working day for me even at this time of morning, this lot needs fed as usual :rolleyes:

7wYZuce.jpg

Thing is if these numbers are like this are 60k new backers 20 Million $ NSR and legit. I think CIG would marketing this. But ist is like this.

Yup, signups are a useless metric without knowing how many go on an purchase the game and celebrating whale expenditure just shows how awful your cash shop is.

So, we are doing predictions. Did we do them last year? Anyone sad enough to go back and look?

Mine:

1) No release of either game although CIG might say its just around the corner, just needs a little polish, as they release another concept ship. Backers celebrate by giving CIG another few million.

2) Magic tech will fail to solve issues it was meant to fix. New magic tech required before all ok, but this time it really will work. Backers celebrate by giving CIG another few million.

3) Space court will be a damp squib. Not much will happen. Backers will declare CryRekt regardless of outcome. Backers celebrate by giving CIG another few million.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom