Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's legit. Many old threads are inaccessible after the forums were upgraded to Xenforo

Edit: found it https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...ry-christmas-to-everyone.214169/#post-3278592
Thanks. Maybe it's a child of its time, or something else. I do fumdamentally disagree with Braben - I feel it's against my moral integrity not criticising SC. The times when I shill it's just to provide this thread with ridiculous assertions about SC.
Which I don't need to do when the pros come doing it better.

its very sad to see some here discredit the game with out show any solid evidences so if you want the truth please read it up yourself. This forum should not be a place to make false statements about a space game.

If you want to list criticism please provide the source.

They don't really need to show evidence for this stuff, as it's pretty common knowledge. Arcondes' assertions there are in the right ballpark. If you paid attention to more than just the PR fluff you'd know this already ;)

But just for you...

• 'burned ~250 - 300$':

CIG's recent semi-audited financials reveal that they have approx $7m in available funds left from the $250m+ raised at that point, with a burn rate of approx $7m for the year. Their prior financial overview demonstrates a similar burn rate and reserves of approx $14m at the time. (Seemingly some of the $46m Calders investment has been spent to deal with shortfalls).

• 'It was lied about Bank loan remember it was only a tax loan or something like that.':

The above revelations cast extreme doubt over the vice-chairman's claim that their bank loan from Coutts was purely to avoid currency conversion issues while they waited for their UK tax rebate to arrive. A far more obvious conclusion is that they needed cashflow to meet their operational needs while waiting for their tax rebate to arrive, and the traditional bonanza of the end-of-year ship sales.

• 'it was lied about AI / OCS (1000 Players per instance)':

There's way too much to go into here, but as a simple, single example: Here's Erin Roberts in 2018, saying Server Meshing would come in 2019...

GamesBeat: Where are you now as far as how many people can be accommodated in the alpha? Is that going to change? Are you in the hundreds or thousands of players?

Roberts:
    In terms of an instance, right now we can put about 50 players in an instance. That will go up, but the final plan is obviously once we get the server meshing in — that won’t be this year, but that will be coming in next year — that will allow everyone to play in one huge instance with all the players. The servers will patch people from place to place. You can have 200 people in a room, and when they leave that room, another server takes over. When they take off into space, another server takes over. But the goal is to have everyone in the same instance.

• 'Has 16+ Shell companys':

It's pretty hard to keep track of all of them. They added another one recently seemingly: Roberts Space Industries Germany (see: 13. Subsidiaries)

They certainly have an absurd number of inter-related companies at any rate. More than seem strictly necessary to operate a trans-global company. Here's an old Derek Smart list (hold your nose ;)) from 2016.

Last edited:
Thanks. Maybe it's a child of its time, or something else. I do fumdamentally disagree with Braben - I feel it's against my moral integrity not criticising SC. The times when I shill it's just to provide this thread with ridiculous assertions about SC.
Which I don't need to do when the pros come doing it better.
Braben's words were wise words... back in 2015, even with already bold hints that many things were fishy under the CIG hood. Nowadays "doubt" shouldl be the last benefit CIG could be given.

They don't really need to show evidence for this stuff, as it's pretty common knowledge. Arcondes' assertions there are in the right ballpark. If you paid attention to more than just the PR fluff you'd know this already ;)

But just for you...

• 'burned ~250 - 300$':

CIG's recent semi-audited financials reveal that they have approx $7m in available funds left from the $250m+ raised at that point, with a burn rate of approx $7m for the year. Their prior financial overview demonstrates a similar burn rate and reserves of approx $14m at the time. (Seemingly some of the $46m Calders investment has been spent to deal with shortfalls).

• 'It was lied about Bank loan remember it was only a tax loan or something like that.':

The above revelations cast extreme doubt over the vice-chairman's claim that their bank loan from Coutts was purely to avoid currency conversion issues while they waited for their UK tax rebate to arrive. A far more obvious conclusion is that they needed cashflow to meet their operational needs while waiting for their tax rebate to arrive, and the traditional bonanza of the end-of-year ship sales.

• 'Has 16+ Shell companys':

It's pretty hard to keep track of all of them. They added another one recently seemingly: Roberts Space Industries Germany (see: 13. Subsidiaries)

They certainly have an absurd number of inter-related companies at any rate. More than seem strictly necessary to operate a trans-global company. Here's an old Derek Smart list (hold your nose ;)) from 2016.

Ummmm actually SQ42 was first touted to be released in 2014. CR on video in 2014 said SQ42 would be released later that year (just needed a bit of polish) with SC to be released the year after.

That was either a massive barefaced lie or he truly believed it showing incredible ignorance about the actual state of the project.

Ummmm actually SQ42 was first touted to be released in 2014. CR on video in 2014 said SQ42 would be released later that year (just needed a bit of polish) with SC to be released the year after.

That was either a massive barefaced lie or he truly believed it showing incredible ignorance about the actual state of the project.

If he just didnt know the state of his own game that would be okay.....right? What can the poor guy do when he gets fed bad info eh? God I feel so strongly for him I get the urge to run and buy an Idris.....

Stop spreading FUD, what CIG said was...
Source: https://youtu.be/33ue0lzVnys

...oh 😳

Can't assert it's not pretty, for sure. Clouds not existing until you're in them is quite disturbing though.

I'm not sure FDEV would bring something close to that (planets are awesome at the macro level, but quite bland at the micro level and their current tech show its limits), but I won't mind if they end making good volumetric clouds, meteorological conditions and the according flight model and gameplay. Ergo: gas giants.

Can't assert it's not pretty, for sure. Clouds not existing until you're in them is quite disturbing though.

I'm not sure FDEV would bring something close to that (planets are awesome at the macro level, but quite bland at the micro level and their current tech show its limits), but I won't mind if they end making good volumetric clouds, meteorological conditions and the according flight model and gameplay. Ergo: gas giants.
Gas giants? Not the first thing coming to my mind when I think of clouds and weather.

I mean if they can achieve to let us fly-by close to this, it would (for me) be more impressive than any atmospheric world, and they'd basically have a macro level weather system, wouldn't they?

pia219731.jpg

1578332858370.png

Right now actual real volumetric clouds at this scale simply ain't easy while looking great. Look at NMS, and how blurry they are compared to everything else.. and those are some of the "best" I've seen in actual launched games. (add in here: reminder that nothing SC is doing has "never been done before") My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the recent stellar phenomena in Elite is a test for atmo's clouds. They are a good test too, as they got them looking good but at small scale (one unmoving cloud in a location) and now it's a matter of getting it working in other situations and animated. No small feat.. but I've seen the planet tech in elite go from non-existent to good to bland to great so I am confident if anything they can keep up if they want to. I think their biggest challenge for the planets with atmos and, potentially, life is not in the visuals and clouds but in filling them with the sorts of things those sorts of planets should have. Liquids, erosion, more interesting formations and overhangs, dense plants and minerals, etc..

Also I explained in an earlier post why planets tend to look great macro bad micro, or look bad macro but great micro. Getting both to look right at the same time is incredibly hard when taking engine draw distance, culling, haze, etc... into account. Still, nothing about the way the planet tech works in Elite prevents it from having planets that look as good as they do in SC, from what I can see. CiG isn't doing anything particularly special with their planets. They just have great distro-maps for the models and some ace noise.

FWIW, I dipped my big toe into SC for the first time this week after watching some impressive 3.8 videos, I was mightily impressed by the planetary environments and player interaction.

Have followed the SC journey from afar since 2012 this was the first time I had the urge to see for myself what all the talk/hype was about, 50gb downloaded and installed, let's go.

Apart from needing to install the latest graphics drivers for my card everything was fine, game started and I woke up in a dorm unit on a space station, no hand holding at the start just work out what to do, that was actually fun.

After a couple of hours gameplay and making a few friends here's what I was able to do ...

1. Fly seamlessly from station to planet, fly through blue sky, stratus like clouds at high altitude then lower into a blizzard and land in the snow amongst some very impressively rendered landscape.

2. Exit ship for a walk in the blizzard with snow landing on my visor, melting and rolling off like sleet.

3. Run a mission taking 3 hyperspace jumps with 7 ships and 17 players all in the same instance, some ships having multiple crew members, we jumped to an asteroid belt to mine some metals then to a planet for more ground based mining, return to deliver the goods.

4. I had to exit my ship in space and EVA over to team members cargo ship and carefully make my way to the airlock.

1st impressions ... Alpha or not, it was damn good fun!

PS. I've 2000+ hours across 2 Cmdr accounts in ED so please don't dismiss this as some SC fanboi post.

It wasn't really how pretty it was that attracts me to Terada's vids...simply the fact he's not shilling anything, not trying to sell anything or make any extraordinary claims about Star Citizen... or convince anyone via his vids that Star Citizen is indeed the BDSSE...he just has fun doing what he does and showcases that pretty well without leaving a bad taste in your mouth after watching ;)

Last edited:
PS. I've 2000+ hours across 2 Cmdr accounts in ED so please don't dismiss this as some SC fanboi post.

I won't dismiss this as a fanboi post, just like I don't dismiss the other recent "impressions" posts as haters because they couldn't manage to get their ship to launch off the station without some near-if-not-totally game breaking bug trying to stop them. Curious if you experienced any problems?

At the end of the day though, not much you listed can't be experienced in a more polished and working state elsewhere...

1) Fly Seamlessly from station to planet: okay I can do that in NMS or Elite.
2) Exit a spaceship to hop down onto a planet, minus all the unnecessary graphical effects on the visor, is easily done in NMS, Space Engineers, KSP. Even Nnoctis and Star Flight do this and they are DOS games.
3) Missions are in many many games, space or otherwise, even containing multiple players, and some with multiple players in a ship. Warframe and Elite come to mind.
4) EVA is the hardest thing to find in games, typically I'd only be able to list Kerbal Space Program but thankfully Warframe lets you do that now and I like listing at least two per item. Oh yeah and Space Engineers.

I of course, don't intend to entirely rain on your parade. You had fun playing SC, and that's good for you. If anything, figure out what you most enjoyed about the experience and consider some other games as well that can deliver more complete and varied gameplay loops of the same kind. I'm also curious as to whether the experience would have been any more or less enjoyable without the other players. Social interaction is often added to experiences lacking depths in the hopes of distracting from that problem. See: Fallout 76, Mobile Gatcha Games, Anthem, etc..

Post dismissed as raving lunacy :D

Edit: I'll add sarcasm tags in case it's taken as an effort at serious argument ;)

I figured you weren't about to argue that those listed games were anything less than complete and utter embarrassments that should have been purged at the drawing board (with the exception of the gatcha games as they seem to attract whales like, well, only one other project I know).

If you were, I think a very real very legit trip to the asylum may finally be in order. ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom