Mid February: A few bugs get fixed
Late February: Silence
Early March: Silence
Mid March: We are excited
Late March: Silence
April: Silence
May: Announcement of the Fleet Carriers beta

And so on.
We can't be told anything about Fleet Carriers currently as things may change between now and their release... even if they were allegedly being released a month ago...

No information regarding FC's being given is the oddest situation - particularly as they should have been completed and were only delayed for bug-fixes 🤷‍♂️

We used to get weekly sneak peeks of stuff under development. That got the community excited. Now there's radio silence for months until close to the release of an update or expansion.

Regarding communication:

Mid January: Announcement of the January update
Late January: Release of the January update
Early February: Communication about bug fixes for the January update
Mid February: A few bugs get fixed
Late February: Silence
Early March: Silence
Mid March: We are excited
Late March: Silence
April: Silence
May: Announcement of the Fleet Carriers beta

And so on.

Silence sounds like a protection against spies stealing ideas :unsure:

Fleet Carriers were postponed to Q2 2020; FDev will begin demonstrating their gameplay a few months before they arrive (probably March/April)

postponed? but how is this possible ?! because in 2017 they said that they would definitely come out in 2018 (ch4 Beyond). and in 2018 they said that FC will definitely be released in 2019 (even during the meeting dedicated to Gamescom 2019 they indicated December 2019 in their trailer) and here you are. Q2 2020. and now I sit and think now, you either sit and make fun or you have pink glasses all over your face if you believe that they will release a new era in this year's release. but, to be honest, I'm more inclined to the fact that you just sit and make fun. and if they postpone to 2021 and further, most likely you will write along with the rest, “no, they did not plan the release of a new era in 2020, you yourself are to blame, you misunderstood them, they meant something completely different” or not? :)

We used to get weekly sneak peeks of stuff under development. That got the community excited. Now there's radio silence for months until close to the release of an update or expansion.
When was that though? Before v1 release surely.

if you believe that they will release a new era in this year's release. but, to be honest, I'm more inclined to the fact that you just sit and make fun. and if they postpone to 2021 and further...
Well, you only need to wait another 360 days to say "I was right'...

Blame 'The Community Voice' for the lack of Fleet Carriers according to Fdev :)

Sneak peeks drip fed are an ideal way to build hype and stop forums festering- how hard can it be to have 12 screenshots - 2 per month (cryptic or not) of the next DLC (to announcement / beta)? Rather than make silence a talking point why not make the game the talking point?

Being honest nothing FD are bringing to ED is groundbreaking from a gaming perspective (legs, bases, atmospheres, FPS going by the supposed leak etc- i.e. its already in NMS, SC) so why hide it? I'm not crying doom, just puzzled as to the rather strange way things go these days.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I'm hoping for dedicated servers and fixes to long standing bugs (fighter lag, etc). A decent anti-cheat and a rethink of how disused features (multicrew, power play, etc) can be renovated to be more engaging and better connected to everything else. Multicrew that doesn't blow combined with wing support? That'd be nice.

What about all the storylines that lead to permit locked regions? Why has it been several years and nothing come of old discoveries? Remember Polaris, Thargoid probe zero, Gamma Velourum, and Overlook? What about the Othrus? These need to be continued until their conclusion and have a tangible payoff, FDev, and not sat languishing on the cutting room floor or ended without the playerbase gaining a reward for the considerable effort put forth in engaging with these mysteries.

Sneak peeks drip fed are an ideal way to build hype and stop forums festering- how hard can it be to have 12 screenshots - 2 per month (cryptic or not) of the next DLC (to announcement / beta)? Rather than make silence a talking point why not make the game the talking point?

Being honest nothing FD are bringing to ED is groundbreaking from a gaming perspective (legs, bases, atmospheres, FPS going by the supposed leak etc- i.e. its already in NMS, SC) so why hide it? I'm not crying doom, just puzzled as to the rather strange way things go these days.
Hmm, they are nice, but I don't think 'the community' encourages fdev to use them, what with all the overreaction. Remember the 'sneak peek' of ice planets? Which people decided (without basis) meant that they should be in the next release.

Plus everything is over-analysed (or misunderstood) - which is fine when people take it as a fun pastime, but tends to lead to salt - most recent would be people misreading the 6th as a special stream, and obviously the trailer that 'announced' space legs were already in the build (they weren't)

Having said all that I do think that if fdev had the bandwidth a constant stream of hints that may eventually in the game would be another way to go - things get salty when people obsess, so if they released some new detail every week or so then the conversation would move on. But that's a lot of work for the team, so I can see why you wouldn't do it - I'm sure if they found a downtick in player numbers they would be more open, so in some ways I'm happy they don't feel they have to share :D

[...]

Blame 'The Community Voice' for the lack of Fleet Carriers according to Fdev :)

For me personally, this "justification" grinds my gears way more than the actual delay. I just can't convince myself that Frontier are being honest with us there. FCs were supposed to be released in what, 2-3 weeks? And that got pushed back by half a year because they are going fix a few bugs in the meantime?

I assume FCs where nowhere near ready to be released or if they went through with it, it would have been a disaster, probably worse than the September update.

If one student is honest and straight up says "sorry, I didn't/couldn't finish the assignment in time" and another one comes up with the most ridiculous excuse where I can smell the biowaste 10lys against a solar flare, I know which one I'm more lenient toward.

Hmm, they are nice, but I don't think 'the community' encourages fdev to use them, what with all the overreaction. Remember the 'sneak peek' of ice planets? Which people decided (without basis) meant that they should be in the next release.

While expectations are always unrealistic, at least we were talking about the game and its possible direction, and not looking inward. People will always be unhappy, but at least you can't say things are not being done.

Plus everything is over-analysed (or misunderstood) - which is fine when people take it as a fun pastime, but tends to lead to salt - most recent would be people misreading the 6th as a special stream, and obviously the trailer that 'announced' space legs were already in the build (they weren't)

Source: https://youtu.be/4M8ZeHZSZ3o

Then you tell people up front clearly. "On the 6th is a Lets Play, we will announce the patch release date with more information later on in January". If people get the wrong idea about a video then discuss it- staying silent just invites trouble and is a playground for over imagination (that leads to disappointment). If you shape expectations early, surely thats more healthy?

Having said all that I do think that if fdev had the bandwidth a constant stream of hints that may eventually in the game would be another way to go - things get salty when people obsess, so if they released some new detail every week or so then the conversation would move on. But that's a lot of work for the team, so I can see why you wouldn't do it - I'm sure if they found a downtick in player numbers they would be more open, so in some ways I'm happy they don't feel they have to share :D

But the pic of the week before launch was perfect- FD picked shots that could be critiqued but not taken to be something else. FD are sat on giant piles of concept art, why not curate some? Why not have a deep dive into Cobra itself? Lore? Elite Dangerous fashions in the 3300's, Powerplay leader creation? AMA?

(From my comfy laymans chair) its CMs managing community expectation and maintaining interest at a low point and being starved of things to show. Lets be realistic: ED is in a low point: you had over a year of shallow progress topped with an amazingly broken patch, ongoing lore stopped and uneven overhyped IIs- its lost momentum and silence is not helping the mood here or elsewhere.

Or, make the community work for it- put a treasure hunt in the game with hints to follow and the reward is a screenshot or info as a special II. FD know we have people who like solving puzzles, it generates buzz, so why not? I genuinely feel sorry for the CMs because they are essentially cannon fodder- they have nothing to show and people don't want to watch them playing the game. All it does is wind people up more unnecessarily, is totally preventable and setting themselves up to fail.

In the end it could be modern game trends have warped our perception of what we should be getting- but then all the livestreams / external content act as adverts for the game.

If only I won the lottery- I'd buy FD and I'd have livestreams every week- Powerplay livestreams. Then you'd be begging me to shut up.

So now we have a few months of zero news about the Fleet Carrier update.
This is of course a good thing.

We know when they are due, we have been told enough for the excitable to be forecasting doom or paradise and for the grinders to have an excuse for grinding and moaning about it.

No point having more specific information until much nearer the time.

Top Bottom