New FSS Feedback thread - Good and Bad

In my issue tracker there was 6 pages of CMDRs with all levels of hardware all reporting same thing. I know from the comments on various threads, including this one, that for those in VR it was even worse.

And I repeat what I said earlier, you can't fix a problem for one group of players by creating problems for another group of players, that's not a fixed problem, that's a shifted problem that will just cause future complaints.

No, it was also tied to how you had it set up, if you had decent new high end hardware and had it set up properly the stuttering was virtually unnoticable.
True - my FPS dropped to around 100 from 130 in the main screen, according to the counter, but stuttering was not noticable otherwise. That is with a reasonable PC setup :)

So you dont like changing your procedure for doing something so loads of people should just put up with major stuttering and unplayable VR.

Gotcha.

No they should fix it properly instead of playing around. Your suggested procedure is nonsensical, having to exit the FSS and enter the system map to actually see if you found anything in the FSS? Are we in bizarro world by any chance?

Deleted member 182079

D
In my issue tracker there was 6 pages of CMDRs with all levels of hardware all reporting same thing. I know from the comments on various threads, including this one, that for those in VR it was even worse.
Yeah, I only play on a regular monitor, can't imagine how chunder inducing it must've been in VR! I had 10-20 frames drop every few seconds for much longer than I'd be able to tolerate, not nice. I can however understand the frustrations of those who deal with the FSS and the resolving mechanism on a regular basis (I only use it from time to time).

No they should fix it properly instead of playing around. Your suggested procedure is nonsensical, having to exit the FSS and enter the system map to actually see if you found anything in the FSS? Are we in bizarro world by any chance?

The system map with an overview of ALL bodies wouldn't seem the best place to see what has what, which is best body to land on etc?

Honestly I don't understand your preference, but it is what it is. I guess a technical problem is never a problem until you experience it.

Seems to work very well now for me, I'm happy with it.
No stuttering when arriving after jump.
No stuttering at all in the FSS, even when not fully resolving locations.
I immediately see which bodies have Geo locations.
If I want to know how many, resloving takes a few seconds max.

Good job!

Deleted member 182079

D
Seems to work very well now for me, I'm happy with it.
No stuttering when arriving after jump.
No stuttering at all in the FSS, even when not fully resolving locations.
I immediately see which bodies have Geo locations.
If I want to know how many, resloving takes a few seconds max.

Good job!
Sounds great - the FSS microstutter drove me mad at times and put me off longer explo trips. Can't wait to try it later.

1. No stuttering (today was first time logging in, after the quick patch)
2. I'm really happy they took our Beta feedback into account as far as being able to do a full scan if we want to or skip it after seeing the probability, thanks for that.
3. Seeing POI info on the system map is nice as well.
4. We seem to have lost the numeric designations on the System Panel, HOWEVER I noticed that if you highlight a POI on the surface, the numeric designation for it is there (i.e. BIOLOGICAL [1], GEOLOGICAL[4], etc.). If we can get that added back to System Panel that would be great.

Not perfect (what is?) but not bad either, taken solely from an exploration perspective. Thanks for the changes :)

1. No stuttering (today was first time logging in, after the quick patch)
2. I'm really happy they took our Beta feedback into account as far as being able to do a full scan if we want to or skip it after seeing the probability, thanks for that.
3. Seeing POI info on the system map is nice as well.
4. We seem to have lost the numeric designations on the System Panel, HOWEVER I noticed that if you highlight a POI on the surface, the numeric designation for it is there (i.e. BIOLOGICAL [1], GEOLOGICAL[4], etc.). If we can get that added back to System Panel that would be great.

Not perfect (what is?) but not bad either, taken solely from an exploration perspective. Thanks for the changes :)

Does seem strange to have taken out the numbers on the sites from the panel...I'm guessing that is a bug? Has anyone actually filed an issue in the tracker for it?

Things Change very often in ED - We can't tie ourselves to one method. The old method has been updated, now you quickly scan all bodies in the FSS view then use the system map. This new method is quicker for me as I now don't wait for the MAT panel to scroll 3 times.
I can now scan a system far quicker this way and see all mats in one view too! Love it, not how I used to work it, but now it's faster overall.
I don't think we will ever have our cake n eat it or please everyone. Seem the majority prefer this new way. Sorry for your loss of process, however you still get the info you need and quicker than before.

Nutter o7

And I repeat what I said earlier, you can't fix a problem for one group of players by creating problems for another group of players, that's not a fixed problem, that's a shifted problem that will just cause future complaints.
Welcome to the FSS.

Does seem strange to have taken out the numbers on the sites from the panel...I'm guessing that is a bug? Has anyone actually filed an issue in the tracker for it?
Yep, see here. According to @Will Flanagan , it was passed over to the team.

Oh God, this is going to become the new ADS, isn't it? 🤦‍♂️

I can't speak for the rest of you, but this is a "feature" I know I never wanted. The whole "wait 10 seconds" was never a problem for me. I guess it's because I'm not a "speed explorer", who has to get there first and have the entire galaxy mapped by the end of a Saturday afternoon. I was glad to see the little snip in the patch notes that those of us not facing our impending demise can continue to wait out the scan and get actual counts, though I've not yet bothered to update the game, between having something else to do and knowing that new updates always have new patches to follow.

I've been out on my own exploration expedition for over a year now, knowing new actual content is a ways off, so what a better way to spend my time?

As for VR... I use an Avegant Glyph, when I feel like it. I don't care much for full-face geek goggles, like the Oculus, so I don't use one - it's only so cool and the novelty wears off soon enough. For me, that was circa 1995, with Virtuality's 1000SD game Battlesphere. It was the greatest thing ever for about 4 days.

Now, you get Elite running on:

An Avegant Light Field, and I'll be all in, 110%. Hades, I'd even PvP with that.

Yeah your not going to like my answer - bog standard HP gaming laptop: i7 - 7700GHz processor, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 video with 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Samsung 27" Curved Monitor running at 1920x1080 resolution. Input is Logitec G502 mouse, G510 keyboard and Thrustmaster T-FLIGHT HOTAS-X.

Average FPS is around 60, can drop lower. Definitely not a beefy system by any way shape or form!

For 1080p that's certainly beefy.

Top Bottom