Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Please God, please let me have enough Internet to play this simulation on my new property please God.

I'm not worried about my crappy DSL, If my net is too slow to stream while playing then I'll just predownload the region I'll be flying in like MS said we can do so I won't have to worry about it while flying. They seem to have a workaround for us with slow internet, and it sounds like it will work pretty well.

Friend is in the Tech alpha and said that game runs nicely in 1440p/2070 all set high.
He also said that cities looks nice from certain altitude, but if you go too close, the towns gets pixelated..

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Friend is in the Tech alpha and said that game runs nicely in 1440p/2070 all set high.
He also said that cities looks nice from certain altitude, but if you go too close, the towns gets pixelated..

What are your friend's system specs?

Dear Mother of God, this latest Feature Discovery Ep 5 is about soundscape for MFS, and it just might take the crown for best sound design from Elite Dangerous. And that is not a statement I make lightly:

I just don't get why MS went so absolutely over the top with this 'game'. But dear God I love it.
I can't remember when I was so hyped for a game, and really, I was never into flight sims.

Yeah, thats a solid set of specs. Sounds like a polish issue.

To be honest, I don't think cities will hold up at street level in the final build either. Landscapes -as seen on this video- are already way above what I expected.

I just don't get why MS went so absolutely over the top with this 'game'. But dear God I love it.
I can't remember when I was so hyped for a game, and really, I was never into flight sims.

To be honest, I don't think cities will hold up at street level in the final build either. Landscapes -as seen on this video- are already way above what I expected.
If this is being accurately represented by their Discovery videos I really don't classify it as a "game" at all.

I've never looked too closely at X-Plane 11 which would be MFS20's main civilian flight simulator competitor, but I just now had a gander at its Steam store page and was almost poleaxed by the amount of money they charge for the complete package--almost $1800.00. That seems like a lot of money to me, and it makes me wonder even more about Microsoft's pricing plan for their game which looks like it should be a much more desirable simulator.

I've never looked too closely at X-Plane 11 which would be MFS20's main civilian flight simulator competitor, but I just now had a gander at its Steam store page and was almost poleaxed by the amount of money they charge for the complete package--almost $1800.00. That seems like a lot of money to me, and it makes me wonder even more about Microsoft's pricing plan for their game which looks like it should be a much more desirable simulator.

X-plane, just like FSX/Prepar is only basic platform, an "engine" or "operating system" that you build your dream flight sim on. Those extra sceneries/planes are made by third party addon makers and the "full price" grow astronomically when you look at add ons from out side of Steam.
I have no issue when they provide good platform and I can buy HQ airport/plane of my choosing as a addition. It get worst when, like with Prepar3d I pretty much had to invest immensely in to third party addons to make the base package work to its full potential.

Back to FS20 - like I said I would love it to be able to stand on its own with out third party stuff like dynamic live weather/atc control/ai traffic/flight planner. Those things should be fully implemented in base sim imo not pushed to extra addon providers.

X-plane, just like FSX/Prepar is only basic platform, an "engine" or "operating system" that you build your dream flight sim on. Those extra sceneries/planes are made by third party addon makers and the "full price" grow astronomically when you look at add ons from out side of Steam.
I have no issue when they provide good platform and I can buy HQ airport/plane of my choosing as a addition. It get worst when, like with Prepar3d I pretty much had to invest immensely in to third party addons to make the base package work to its full potential.

Back to FS20 - like I said I would love it to be able to stand on its own with out third party stuff like dynamic live weather/atc control/ai traffic/flight planner. Those things should be fully implemented in base sim imo not pushed to extra addon providers.
It just makes me wonder how much MFS20 will wind up being.

The stock X-Plane is perfectly usable without any paid add-ons at all. I expect the same to be true of MSFS 2020. As for pricing, Microsoft haven't said, and there really isn't much to go on. My best guess is 'more than the average game', simply because of the development costs involved, though even that rather depends on what Microsoft's objectives are. It isn't that obvious to me why Microsoft decided to get back into the flight sim market in the first place, and I have my suspicions that this is part of a broader long-term strategy (e.g. Microsoft are clearly keen to retain their share of the consumer OS market, and projects like this may help), and that pricing may accordingly be subject to factors beyond any immediate ROI concerns.

If this is being accurately represented by their Discovery videos I really don't classify it as a "game" at all.

This is why I referred to it as - 'game' - in my first sentence. :)
I am pretty sure it will be used in professional training as well. Now, in my case, it will probably eat into my gaming time. :)

The stock X-Plane is perfectly usable without any paid add-ons at all. I expect the same to be true of MSFS 2020. As for pricing, Microsoft haven't said, and there really isn't much to go on. My best guess is 'more than the average game', simply because of the development costs involved, though even that rather depends on what Microsoft's objectives are. It isn't that obvious to me why Microsoft decided to get back into the flight sim market in the first place, and I have my suspicions that this is part of a broader long-term strategy (e.g. Microsoft are clearly keen to retain their share of the consumer OS market, and projects like this may help), and that pricing may accordingly be subject to factors beyond any immediate ROI concerns.

Yeah, it must be an interesting business case.
If they were expecting that a flight sim of this fidelity will attract such a broad audience due to its revolutionary tech, then it was a clever move. And they may had, as apparently it will be release on the new X-Box too - possibly as one of the major launch exclusives.
With that I don't think (I hope) its pricing will be anywhere near the x-plane madness.

Otherwise, I guess they can leverage this tech in the future in many applications, from navigation systems (incl AI) to weather forecast.

With that I don't think (I hope) its pricing will be anywhere near the x-plane madness.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'X-Plane madness'. Jasonbarron's $1800 figure isn't an indication of anything meaningful beyond the fact that there are a heck of a lot of entirely optional paid add-ons available. You don't need any add-ons to fly X-Plane, and a lot of the best add-ons are free. I paid $60 for my copy, and haven't found the need to pay for anything else so far.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'X-Plane madness'. Jasonbarron's $1800 figure isn't an indication of anything meaningful beyond the fact that there are a heck of a lot of entirely optional paid add-ons available. You don't need any add-ons to fly X-Plane, and a lot of the best add-ons are free. I paid $60 for my copy, and haven't found the need to pay for anything else so far.
I'd say 1800.00 was pretty meaningful, but I guess it just depends on how much disposable income you have. Personally, the part of a flight "sim" that holds the most appeal for me is being able to go wherever I want to in the world, and if I know that there's a bazzilion locations I can't access because I can't afford to, then that right there is enough to break the immersion for me and make me lose interest. My only "meaningful" reason for bringing it up anyway was to draw a comparison between it and X-Plane's pricing model and wondering what Microsoft's would be.

Personally, the part of a flight "sim" that holds the most appeal for me is being able to go wherever I want to in the world, and if I know that there's a bazzilion locations I can't access because I can't afford to, then that right there is enough to break the immersion for me and make me lose interest.

The thing is, the paid X-Plane add-ons don't generally add locations you can't access from the basic game. All the airport upgrades add is eye candy - making the airports already provided look more like the real ones. There are add-ons (e.g. new aircraft) that add new functionality, but they aren't necessary to enjoy the sim. And given the interest being shown in MSFS 2020 by third-party developers, exactly the same situation is going to occur there, as far as aircraft are concerned. The 'pricing model' isn't that different: buy the basic sim, and then add specific extras if you want them.

Aye, those are only extra visual upgrades, you get entire planet with all the airports for 60$. If you want "real" full price its way above 1800 ;)

But I get why folks are off put by flight sim business model, it looks insane at the first glance.
If you are looking for playable sim out of the box with out third party addons X-plane would be the one. Personally I picked Prepar3d as I had a few issues with X-plane and I`m not a fan of the flight model. Alto there are few addons that nails the feel of the ac but be ready to spend like 100$ per jet.

Last edited:
Who else is stoked for MS Flight Simulator? I haven't really played much of the series since I was a kid, but I did pick up MS Flight, their last failed incarnation of the series, when it was released a number of years ago. I take it MS Flight Simulator X was the last one most people thought was a worthy successor. This new one looks visually stunning and I love the weather effects!

As a former Cessna pilot who hasn't flown in a long time, I'm quite looking forward to this. :)

I'm 70 and have played all of the Microsoft Flight Simulators and Elite on the BBC Model B computer with slow wire frame graphics, I can't wait for the new FS2020 version, I've even purchased a new very expensive gaming PC to run it on, I've been playing Elite Dangerous for the past 4 years, but this will have to take a back seat when FS2020 is released later this year. It looks incredible and will be great for all those VFR pilots out there.

Top Bottom