Notice Notice regarding supply and demand of high-end minerals

"When selling minerals at a station, the price that is offered is based on the amount currently in your Cargo Hold."
This is flawed. Not only is this an awkward and counterintuitive way to approach the transaction it makes assumptions regarding the player's actions, namely that I'm going to empty my hold in one transaction.
I would much prefer that I be given a per unit price that changes depending on how many units I choose to SELL. Then >I< can make a decision regarding how many units to sell based on the per-unit price I'm being offered. Meaning I'll sell some to this station and some to that station and so on and so forth... in order to get the best price.

As of today, I am still getting 1.1M a ton for LTD in loads under 200T. It just takes a few minutes more to find a system with both the price and demand I need close enough to reach in a timely fashion. So far this change has only really slightly reduced what I can make an hour laser mining in a triple LTD hot spot. It just made it a bit more difficult and maybe requires I fly a bit further.
If the economy changes don't have the desired effect how long before the triple hotspot becomes a double hotspot and eventually the double becomes a single? Given the amount of resources being extracted it would be hard to argue against.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Greetings Commanders,

Thanks for all of the feedback you've shared with us on this topic, particularly in regard to the prices being offered by stations based on the amount of commodities currently in your Cargo Hold.

Since the January Update, with the help of your feedback, we have identified that this process doesn't perform as well as we intended and it's something the team will be looking into improving in a future update.

As always, as soon as we have more information about that, we'll let the community know, whether it's in the Patch Notes or an announcement.

o7

If the economy changes don't have the desired effect how long before the triple hotspot becomes a double hotspot and eventually the double becomes a single? Given the amount of resources being extracted it would be hard to argue against.
FDev have not coded in Viable system... All laser mined rocks reset after 2 hours so the hotspots do not empty ever of laser mining rocks and there location is fixed this allows maping of the hot spots for repeated runs... deep core mining can run out (if enough players were to do mining) Laser never does as after 2 hours you just restart at the start of the maped route..

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

Thanks for all of the feedback you've shared with us on this topic, particularly in regard to the prices being offered by stations based on the amount of commodities currently in your Cargo Hold.

Since the January Update, with the help of your feedback, we have identified that this process doesn't perform as well as we intended and it's something the team will be looking into improving in a future update.

As always, as soon as we have more information about that, we'll let the community know, whether it's in the Patch Notes or an announcement.

o7

That’s really good news! I look forward to seeing this improved. Thank you Stephen and Frontier devs :)

Greetings Commanders,

o7

Good acknowledgement, thank you.

Greetings Commanders,

o7

Bang go the fleet carriers again ;)

Prices based on Supply and Demand would mean something if we could see the actual trends of the supply and demand in the last seven days or so, in the market view.
If we know our fellow CMDRS have supplied several million tonnes of LTD to a station with demand around the same number we can expect the price to start falling off somewhat.

That fact that Supply is "real" and Demand is a made up number based on an algorithm or how a dev feels it should be can be what will lead to massive fluctuations in prices. Uncertainty isn't helpful to any one, as we learnt from the Engineering as an RNG exercise.

It will be a fantastic day when we can start producing our own hulls and modules for sale on the market to our fellow CMDR's and NPC's alike.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Any chance you could clarify when this change was made Stephen? Was it new in January or was it existing code made 'more obvious' with the mineable minerals being so expensive?

Anyway - thanks for looking at this!
Hey @Factabulous,

Commodity costs have been calculated in this way since 2014, however, since the recent changes to high end-minerals, this has been highlighted by commanders who have been checking how and where to get the best prices.

Greetings Commanders,

o7
This sounds like great news! I would suggest having certain stations have huge booms over time and have other areas keeping around the million mark with minor ebbs and flows.

The proper solution would be a sliding price as you increase your sale volume towards market demand (see Patrician IV for an example). But since people will want to sell their entire stock in a single place 99% of the time, the current implementation is probably still good enough and only "outlier" (to put it politely) commodities that are abundantly available and selling at an artificially high price into limited demand would show any issues.

Making those highly priced and prized commodities truly rare would be another solution.

FDev have not coded in Viable system... All laser mined rocks reset after 2 hours so the hotspots do not empty ever of laser mining rocks and there location is fixed this allows maping of the hot spots for repeated runs... deep core mining can run out (if enough players were to do mining) Laser never does as after 2 hours you just restart at the start of the maped route..

So if someone goes to the trouble to identify high-yield rocks and is able to reliably find and mine them you have a problem with that? Is it because you lack the ability or willingness to do the same? Perhaps instead of complaining how others play the game at a high level as if it is some sort of exploit you internalize those feelings of impotence and strive to be better.

Any chance you could clarify when this change was made Stephen? Was it new in January or was it existing code made 'more obvious' with the mineable minerals being so expensive?
and

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

o7

Anyway - thanks for looking at this!
Hey @Factabulous,

Commodity costs have been calculated in this way since 2014, however, since the recent changes to high end-minerals, this has been highlighted by commanders who have been checking how and where to get the best prices.

Weird that this was not felt at all for the entire 2019.
Prices on high-end minerals were rock stable (for the duration of the states that were affected them) and the amount of commodities in the cargo hold certainly didn't seem to affect the offered prices.
Just saying

So if someone goes to the trouble to identify high-yield rocks and is able to reliably find and mine them you have a problem with that? Is it because you lack the ability or willingness to do the same? Perhaps instead of complaining how others play the game at a high level as if it is some sort of exploit you internalize those feelings of impotence and strive to be better.
Seems a little harsh of an insult on a simple statement. Almost seems, insecure or potentially inadequate, to be so upset by this. Just saying.

Smh

Last edited:
Top Bottom