Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Very nice...but who really cares? ;)
duty_calls.png

So is there anybody in this thread who actually PLAYS Star Citizen on a regular basis and likes it?

Yup, I do but I'm probably not your 'typical' gamer, I didn't buy SC with anything other than a desire to test and enjoy what has been released in the current version and so far I've had plenty of enjoyment.

I realise that my idea of fun and enjoyment will not be the same as other players, for instance I can take great pleasure in just picking a place on one of the planets, travel there, find a landing spot with a nice view, go for a walk and enjoy what the developers have created ... or I might spend a few hours looking for minerals or do deliveries, I find all of that fun and relaxing and I game to relax.

I bought into SC now because of the current environment released and I look forward to further development down the line if it happens but I'm not concerned about timescales or release schedules etc. Not being your typical gamer I don't buy games thinking is it complete or what's the end game, or what's the final level like ... no ... I buy / invest in a game or project based purely on whether I think I will get some enjoyment from it in it's current state and I can honestly say that I've certainly got my £60 worth of fun thus far, anything more is a bonus (y)

I purchased SC in the New Year sale, version 3.8 and I've already had 30+ hours of enjoyment from it ... I'm cool with my level of investment in exchange for the fun received already :)
Yes, it could all fall apart or take another ween o' years to complete or maybe just fade away with a quiet little whimper ... who really cares? ... not me ;)

How does Star Citizen compare to Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC? I know they are polar-opposite genres, but I'm thinking that RDR2 gets a lot of hate because it's a buggy mess on PC (from what I've read), but as for the actual gameplay itself, well some people don't like it, I on the other hand very much enjoyed it on PS4. Point being, is it because Star Citizen is a buggy mess that people don't like it, or is it just an empty shell of a game that hasn't had any real gameplay added to it?
If RDR2 is a buggy mess, SC must be 7th circle of hell. I dislike SC because it's a scam, snake oil selling and underdelivery and boasting about stuff that isn't true. Hot air balloon.
If you really want to know what gameplay there is ask sovapid and Mole. Sovapid can be salty at times, Mole seems reasonable guy - but we know he's under the influence of space cows.

I'd settle for a TL;DR, please :)
TL;DR is basically:

People who fantasise about Star Citizen make excuses and tell lies to justify why they think it's good.

People who dislike Star Citizen read every negative thing they can surrounding the project and repost those negativities flavoured with their own opinions to justify why they think it's bad.

Some people just play what's there... server errors, bugs and dodgy Ci¬G business practises aside... and gain some enjoyment from the pitiful lack of content despite all that.

Would I recommend anyone buying into the project? The answer is a firm no...not only does it require an inordinate amount of tolerance and patience, it requires you spend far more than it's worth to gain some enjoyment out of it.

In a nutshell ;)

Last edited:
TL;DR is basically:

People who fantasise about Star Citizen make excuses and tell lies to justify why they think it's good.

People who dislike Star Citizen read every negative thing they can surrounding the project and repost those negativities flavoured with their own opinions to justify why they think it's bad.

Some people just play what's there... server errors, bugs and dodgy Ci¬G business practises aside... and gain some enjoyment from the pitiful lack of content despite all that.
;)

If SC allows me to play a giant John Candy pirate in a ship filled with burger wrappers I'm in. I want melted cheese level fidelity :D

TL;DR is basically:

;)

Perfect, thanks!

Yup, I do but I'm probably not your 'typical' gamer, I didn't buy SC with anything other than a desire to test and enjoy what has been released in the current version and so far I've had plenty of enjoyment.

I realise that my idea of fun and enjoyment will not be the same as other players, for instance I can take great pleasure in just picking a place on one of the planets, travel there, find a landing spot with a nice view, go for a walk and enjoy what the developers have created ... or I might spend a few hours looking for minerals or do deliveries, I find all of that fun and relaxing and I game to relax.

I bought into SC now because of the current environment released and I look forward to further development down the line if it happens but I'm not concerned about timescales or release schedules etc. Not being your typical gamer I don't buy games thinking is it complete or what's the end game, or what's the final level like ... no ... I buy / invest in a game or project based purely on whether I think I will get some enjoyment from it in it's current state and I can honestly say that I've certainly got my £60 worth of fun thus far, anything more is a bonus (y)

I purchased SC in the New Year sale, version 3.8 and I've already had 30+ hours of enjoyment from it ... I'm cool with my level of investment in exchange for the fun received already :)
Yes, it could all fall apart or take another ween o' years to complete or maybe just fade away with a quiet little whimper ... who really cares? ... not me ;)
A perfect, balanced viewpoint (y)

I edited my post a bit...I certainly wouldn't recommend buying into the project, it does take a special type of patience... :)
I'm looking for alternatives to Elite because I "finished" the game some time ago, and without interstellar initiatives, CGs, or other "new goals", there's not much left for me to do that I haven't already spent hours doing. The key is CONTENT, and if SC lacks content, then it's not the alternative I'm looking for. I might just have to cross genres and ride a horse until New Era is released. 🤷

I'm looking for alternatives to Elite because I "finished" the game some time ago, and without interstellar initiatives, CGs, or other "new goals", there's not much left for me to do that I haven't already spent hours doing. The key is CONTENT, and if SC lacks content, then it's not the alternative I'm looking for. I might just have to cross genres and ride a horse until New Era is released. 🤷
Star Citizen is painfully lacking meaningful content in the gameplay sense, that's no secret... shameful money grab marketing based design decisions clash constantly both with common sense and long suffering backers expectations...to the point where Ci¬G seem to consider releasing new and insanely priced ship models as 'content'. The more realistic backers outside of the faithful don't share that view. The reality is that very few of the ships currently flyable have any gameplay loops or active career paths to justify their addition or inclusion.

Saying that, I play Star Citizen in almost the same way as I did Elite...I ferry cargo, do a bit of mining and I shoot some pirates...but those few and very basic game functions require spending a large amount of real cash to buy the ships to maintain the most basic implementation of gameplay loops imaginable and the simple process of being able to earn enough to purchase the ships in game has been until now, a fools errand... Ci¬G are in the process of rolling out some form of semi persistence with the next patch...currently in the test environment...which hasn't existed until now, namely that your earnings or ships bought in game aren't wiped with every major quarterly patch forcing a permanent groundhog day of starting from scratch. It's been long required and overdue.

I see the potential in Star Citizen, but as time goes on and the money dries up, it's doubtful it will ever realise that potential as Ci¬G squander development time and focus relentlessly pursuing the path of ever decreasing returns and cash resources.

Last edited:
As clunky as it launched, and as loony as it still is, maybe you should give No Man's Sky a try. It may lack in many departments but it is genuinely "let's launch it for an hour... Wait, is it really tomorrow afternoon!?". And you can't deny dev team 's dedication to enhance their project through all the years.

I see the potential in Star Citizen, but as time goes on and the money dries up, it's doubtful it will ever realise that potential as Ci¬G squander development time and focus relentlessly pursuing the path of ever decreasing returns and cash resources.
What about Squadron 42, is there any hope this will see the light of day?

I know it's not to everyone's taste but have you looked at NMS? It has plenty of content, with growable and living ships just released.

Last edited:
I edited my post a bit...I certainly wouldn't recommend buying into the project, it does take a special type of patience... :)
I'd add that, for the sake of the project, they shouldn't get more money. If they couldn't deliver a game - let alone two actually - with near 300M - all the while bragging years ago that with 5x less they had enough - why 300M more would help?

More money to CIG is more excuses and fuel for them to keep convinced that they are right to digress and procrastinate.

it depends what you want... neither of these offer a realistic galaxy but I think Rebel Galaxy outlaw has a lot to like if you enjoyed privateer back in the day.

I hear lots of good things about X4.... i wanted to love X3 and could see there is a hell of a game there but could never really get over the learning cliff, i am more likely to jump into X Rebirth VR if i go back to the X games.

I personally have not given up on SC or S42 yet.... but equally not expecting anything from S42 till well into 2021 at the soonest, and I doubt SC will be out before end 2022 myself, maybe even later than that.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom