No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Gee, another thread highlighting what happens when communication is vague and lacks conclusive information.

Since I love straddling the fence so much, I find it hilarious that the most common defense to any critique I make of FDev is usually along the lines of...

You assumed that's what they meant.

Because that's all OP is, right? Assumption of multiple patches for bug fixing? Assumption of FC's being ready in December, or even further back? Assumption that Krait II trailer foreshadowed space legs? Or that mamba picture from recent livestream? Or that "Wish you were here" tweet that led to nothing? That time we assumed Thargoid Map led to something? Or how about the time we assumed the dedicated forum for working on Crime & Punishment would still be around? Remember when the devs started a discussion on Power Play in Focused Feedback and we assumed they were going to do something with it?

Good times. Love me some assumptions.

It's almost as if...as if...

Communicating transparently, honestly, and with concrete information is a better way forward?

Nah. Then they twist our words.
Like with assumptions now.
Or they hold us accountable when we fail.
Like when we fail without making concrete statements.
Or they'll just troll inundate us with questions for more information.
Like we do when you don't give any information.

This entire thread perfectly sums up FDev's #1 problem. It isn't cash, it isn't human capital, it isn't skills even.
poor communication strategy.

That a volunteer moderator - a frequent supporter of FDev - started it, only heightens that fact.

A conversation that a paid employee, manager, team lead, or chairman should be leading...is being led by a volunteer. Kudos to OP, really, for sticking to it and trying to hold an organization that you clearly enjoy assisting - freely, willingly - accountable for a process they should handle themselves.

poor communication.
All of this because of one very simple problem.
Absolutely astounding, and a fantastic case study that really needs to find its way to HBS archives for business school.

Perhaps you think i am, of the four choices you chose to link expert to me. Had you been a manager and you saw the FSS being created, would you have put a stop to it? Sent it back for "further design" whatever its called. I know i would.

How long does one have to game to be an expert anyway?
I would have stopped it and implemented my own version of exploration tools. But that may have only suited my style of play and nobody else may have liked it. It could have been detrimental to the game even though I thought it was great.

While the FSS is far from perfect in my view, it's a damn site better then what we had. So if it was a choice of stopping it and keeping what was there or having the FSS, I would vote for the FSS everytime.

And no after 1000s of stars I still don't find the FSS tedious or boring unlike the old exploration tools which sucked the life out of exploration for me.

I dont beleive it max. What can i say? And if you really do scan 1000s of systems then you are the exception.
No he's not. He just adapted and carried on. Just like me & many others. :)

images.jpg

No he's not. He just adapted and carried on. Just like me & many others. :)

It wasnt worth it. There was no reason to even make players choose to adapt or not. Its something a more experienced developer would not have done, specifically removing player modules by magic while people where doing their thing.

I'm currently on the frontier...

Im sure you are. And im happy you are doing whatever it is you are doing. But i also think that the defenders of frontier and the FSS would say anything ad infinitum or if they are unable to win the point just cry to the mods to close. I dont care... the FSS ruined the game.

There was no reason to even make players choose to adapt or not. Its something a more experienced developer would not have done, specifically removing player modules by magic while people where doing their thing.
I wasn't very impressed by the total removal of ADS (could of been either ADS or FSS on a ship, mutually exclusive modules) and the sudden devaluation of pre-FSS class 3 body scans (I'd have all those count as mapped), but nothing I can do about it.
I voiced my concerns before the change and my gripes after it, to deaf ears, so I either adapt or quit.
I chose adapt. :)

For you. The ADS almost killed the game for me, so that's a draw. What now?

An admission that there was no good reason to force the players to choose. They got it wrong. Put the ADS back as a module. And when that is dismissed out of hand remember that its peoples fun we are talking about. Its just a job to them, why should they even care? What was the big deal that made the ADS go?

I chose adapt. :)

I know i know but i was called here by name. I chose to quit long time ago and sinse i left the fact that all the planets are bare has started to bother me a lot more. Strangely enough :) i think im starting to get offended by the lack of effort put in after so many years.

I dont beleive it max. What can i say? And if you really do scan 1000s of systems then you are the exception.
So you are saying I am lying? For what reason would I do that? Also how do you know I am the exception? Is that something you just made up from thin air?

So you think it doesn't matter that what I can do in 15 - 20 minutes (like in 80+ body systems) others should optionally be able to do with a single honk. Brilliant gameplay...
That wasn't the case with ADS. FSS gives you 1st discovery tags (and level 3 detailed scan), ADS didn't - you needed to fly close to the bodies you wanted to scan (with DSS you got level 3 scan with all data, without DSS you got level 2 scan with less data) and as an additional bonus you got those bodies tagged with 1st discovery.

The problem is the FSS isn't really fun. It's a tool. It does its thing but it's not super fun. In many ways it has a lot of parallels with SRV :\
I'm guessing, but I think before FSS you had a situation where the gameplay was mostly jumps-bangs and having a look at a system map. So basically this was like casting a line. The constant potential of an interesting system was what made the jump-bangs not repetitive. When you finally found something, you played the ship game to get it. But you weren't always playing the ship game, and there was always an immediate payback for a jump, so it kind of played to the game's strengths while downplaying the weaknesses in a way.

I've thought a bit about the whole ADS thing up to now, and I have a fairly fleshed out concept of why some people might have preferred the old way. It's sort of two entirely different approaches to what the actual finding is in discovery.

My biggest gripe with the FSS is that it's very effectively destroyed multi-cmdr systems.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom