No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The real torment is engineer gameplay. It's goalpoasting achieved progress and nickel and diming new progress at its worst.

But once you did the grind it was done. It was obnoxious but it was a clear hurdle. Engineers didnt hurt me at all cause i looked at them and thought "na" and went exploring. By the time i got back i had maxed out all my materials just as side efect of driving round on planets. When i did eventually engineer there were traders aswell so it was not really problem.

Im trying to find the right words. Elite dangerous, what a shame..

I wonder how FD feel about the FSS? Do they view it as a sucess or do they now wish they spent the time on ice planets instead?

Maybe somebody could do a round up in a livestream or something :)

And you can just not do it & PvP aside continue playing as you always did, the NPCs scale to your loadout.
No, they got bulletsponged throughout. Because we have the powercreep crap now. Vanilla guns just suck, enemies take longer to take down - they managed to get even the basic vanilla gameplay more grindy and less worth doing. Well, maybe they tweaked some combat payouts since - but back then you got the same for just having to do more busywork.

No, they got bulletsponged throughout. Because we have the powercreep crap now. Vanilla guns just suck, enemies take longer to take down - they managed to get even the basic vanilla gameplay more grindy and less worth doing. Well, maybe they tweaked some combat payouts since - but back then you got the same for just having to do more busywork.
NPC's can be killed more quickly with engineered weapons, they can still be killed without.

If you upgrade your stuff in a lot of cases you just face even more tanky NPCs, the threat usually scales to your load out.

Engineering is only unbalanced against other players.

I wonder how FD feel about the FSS? Do they view it as a sucess or do they now wish they spent the time on ice planets instead?

Maybe somebody could do a round up in a livestream or something :)

imo (and it is just my opinion I dont claim to speak for any "community") the exploration mechanic IS an improvement on before.
the issue as i see it is that we all got so used to how it was, and as such took for granted a certain pace of "revealing" space.

if for example the game had launched and we only had the bubble we could jump to, and from then on the only way to calculate a jump to a neighouring system was by fully scanning the system you were in which then allowed your ships computer to calculate a jump....................

then on returning that data to UC, the mission boards of the neighouring system would generate a mission on the mission board to drop off a nav beacon........ then (for arguments sake) 24hrs later - enough time for a bunch of people to take on the mission to take something for the construction of said nav beacon... that beacon came online and then anyone in that system could access the beacon to get the data for that system.

I think players would have accepted that just fine.

imo it is how the game was before which broke exploration.... how it is now is still not really what i would call functionally complete ideally because there is no real in game reason to scan the systems using the radio tuning game, other than for eye candy shots which we got before (with a button press) combined with the probe game which are just to locate interesting things to look at but dont offer anything gameplay related. .

i think had the game launched with the probe launching game but that was tied directly into the expansion of the hyperspace map as well as also tied into creation of expansion missions, i think most folk would have been on board with it because they would have been actively working on the expansion of the galaxy for everyone rather than just busy work for the sake of busy work, looking for beauty spots which a few months back were available with 1 button press. 🤷‍♂️ but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Last edited:
Try going on a long journey and point at a couple dozen balls balls after every single jump... You'll love engineers.
Is Beagle Point and back a long enough journey?
Every system FSS and DSS where I felt necessary... No problems with using either of the scanners over an extended expedition... They are the tools we have, work well enough, so I use them - and yes, I was playing well before the December 2018 update that brought the scanners/probes into the game - and choose to explore even more since that time.

ETA: I love engineers too :)

Last edited:
NPC's can be killed more quickly with engineered weapons, they can still be killed without.

If you upgrade your stuff in a lot of cases you just face even more tanky NPCs, the threat usually scales to your load out.

Engineering is only unbalanced against other players.
It's unbalanced in PvE as welk. I shouldnt have to bother with this crap to keep up with NPCs. The combat just became a slog.

imo (and it is just my opinion I dont claim to speak for any "community") the exploration mechanic IS an improvement on before.
the issue as i see it is that we all got so used to how it was, and as such took for granted a certain pace of "revealing" space.

if for example the game had launched and we only had the bubble we could jump to, and from then on the only way to calculate a jump to a neighouring system was by fully scanning the system you were in which then allowed your ships computer to calculate a jump....................

then on returning that data to UC, the mission boards of the neighouring system would generate a mission on the mission board to drop off a nav beacon........ then (for arguments sake) 24hrs later - enough time for a bunch of people to take on the mission to take something for the construction of said nav beacon... that beacon came online and then anyone in that system could access the beacon to get the data for that system.

imo it is how the game was before which broke exploration.... how it is now is still not really what i would call functionally complete ideally because there is no real in game reason to scan the systems using the radio tuning game, other than for eye candy shots which we got before (with a button press) combined with the probe game which are just to locate interesting things to look at but dont offer anything gameplay related. .

i think had the game launched with the probe launching game but that was tied directly into the expansion of the hyperspace map, i think most folk would have been on board with it because they would have been actively working on the expansion of the galaxy for everyone rather than just busy work for the sake of busy work, looking for beauty spots which a few months back were available with 1 button press. 🤷‍♂️ but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Exploration is no better, before it was too hard (to find stuff on planets), now it is too easy. It's just different. The old stuff could have remained & those that were already happy enough could have carried on as they did or mixed & matched as we still can in tagged systems.

Galnet requires ongoing resources to perpetuate (ie a continual stream of new content), the old exploration stuff didn't. Removing both isn't great, but the galnet (and CGs/IIs) at least has some justification.

It's unbalanced in PvE as welk. I shouldnt have to bother with this crap to keep up with NPCs. The combat just became a slog.

If you upgrade your loadout the NPCs just hit back harder. I recently switched weapons from multi-s to frags on my CZ FDL to get better DPS, now I can kill condas more quickly but my shields (unchanged) go down faster because I take more incoming fire. It is better in the sense that I can kill more quickly and therefore compete with other players, but the difficulty has increased in line with my 'improved' ship.

In 2.1 the NPCs were an utter mess. Several years later they are rather better polished and scale to your loadout in most cases.

If you want to compete against other players then yes, you probably need the best gear and familiarity with it.

If you upgrade your loadout the NPCs just hit back harder. I recently switched weapons from multi-s to frags on my CZ FDL to get better DPS, now I can kill condas more quickly but my shields (unchanged) go down faster because I take more incoming fire. It is better in the sense that I can kill more quickly and therefore compete with other players, but the difficulty has increased in line with my 'improved' ship.

In 2.1 the NPCs were an utter mess. Several years later they are rather better polished and scale to your loadout in most cases.

If you want to compete against other players then yes, you probably need the best gear and familiarity with it.
Let that sink in: "several years later"...

Is Beagle Point and back a long enough journey?
Every system FSS and DSS where I felt necessary...

I personally wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, but good for you if like it. :)

how it is now is still not really what i would call functionally complete ideally because there is no real in game reason to scan the systems using the radio tuning game, other than for eye candy shots which we got before (with a button press) combined with the probe game which are just to locate interesting things to look at but dont offer anything gameplay related. .

The issue is for the most part just that. I wouldn't mind having to put up with use the FSS, if after I had hours of potential gameplay in that system. That would be an acceptable loop, you arrive at a system, spent a few minutes fiddling with FSS, and now it's time to start the actual exploration based on whatever signs you detected and thought interesting.

But that wasn't at all what happened, and instead the FSS itself IS the gameplay. It's the most uninspired, least creative take on space exploration one could ever imagine. Have you noticed that after 5 years there is still not a single reason, from an exploration perspective, to even land on a planet?

Last edited:

i think had the game launched with the probe launching game but that was tied directly into the expansion of the hyperspace map as well as also tied into creation of expansion missions, i think most folk would have been on board with it because they would have been actively working on the expansion of the galaxy for everyone rather than just busy work for the sake of busy work, looking for beauty spots which a few months back were available with 1 button press. 🤷‍♂️ but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Yes, you got it! Let us just have the FSS from the get go and all problems solved.
Rumors are that around 2022 FDev will introduce a time machine...

Seriously, you hit the nail. But that's how the game was designed from the very beginning, keyword 'incremental game design'. A lot of people never liked (or understood, some still don't do it now) this approach and sometimes even I cop the needle. But it is how it ever was and it doesn't look like FDev ever cared about our feelings about it nor that they will change it anytime soon. Meanwhile I even doubt it's avoidable at all with a project of this scale, or you quickly land in SC waters. If you really think the big 2020 update will come in a 'ready to go' condition you are up for a brutal awakening.

Can someone explain what the point is for Fleet Carriers if you have to wait another two years for there to be anything you can do with them? Whether or not the release is a bug-ridden half-finished mess is neither here nor there, but the lack of real depth and content, I really hope for FDEV's sake they have something up their sleeve. As it is, ED feels like it's on life-support.

Can someone explain what the point is for Fleet Carriers if you have to wait another two years for there to be anything you can do with them? Whether or not the release is a bug-ridden half-finished mess is neither here nor there, but the lack of real depth and content, I really hope for FDEV's sake they have something up their sleeve. As it is, ED feels like it's on life-support.
Be prepared for something in the New Era release that makes it extremely attractive for FC owners. That way, the principle of Horizons relative to base game is maintained. You can play without the new release, but there is more content (and contentment) with it.

The point as far as I can tell is to allow players to put something with their name on it in a system like graffiti. It will also helpfully remove unique challenges to wars in many systems by providing somewhere to resupply locally where the player is not hostile.

There's probably a downside too :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom