Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

iw.jpg

Reached the far side of the OUTER ARM and wound up in THE VOID.Due to the layout of the sector map i'm cutting a corner,before hopefully rejoining the Outer Arm within striking distance of AQUILLA'S HALO. As you would expect from the name there isn't much out here ( compared to the richness of the core) and what there is, is spread pretty thinly but i have so far avoided the use of my precious jumponium materials, picking my way across a few jumps at a time.One blind alley so far but i reversed course and found a way to nudge myself a little closer to my destination.About 4000 ly to go .There's no real way to calculate how many jumps that is out here
vfb.jpg

The galactic lens looks very different from here.I'm not sure which galaxy that is at the bottom,but it sure used to confuse me in the core.Now that's a looong way away. :)
hd.jpg

Put in for repairs.Everything good except PP now at 53%.and the AFMU at 48%.Should be enough to get me there.
Would shutting stuff off have a noticeable effect on PP degradation do you think?
train.jpg

Whoooo Whooooooo.! Can't you just hear that steam train coming round the bend?:) Maybe it's the FC hype train. :D

View attachment 165568

Reached the far side of the OUTER ARM and wound up in THE VOID.Due to the layout of the sector map i'm cutting a corner,before hopefully rejoining the Outer Arm within striking distance of AQUILLA'S HALO. As you would expect from the name there isn't much out here ( compared to the richness of the core) and what there is, is spread pretty thinly but i have so far avoided the use of my precious jumponium materials, picking my way across a few jumps at a time.One blind alley so far but i reversed course and found a way to nudge myself a little closer to my destination.About 4000 ly to go .There's no real way to calculate how many jumps that is out here
View attachment 165571
The galactic lens looks very different from here.I'm not sure which galaxy that is at the bottom,but it sure used to confuse me in the core.Now that's a looong way away. :)
View attachment 165573
Put in for repairs.Everything good except PP now at 53%.and the AFMU at 48%.Should be enough to get me there.
Would shutting stuff off have a noticeable effect on PP degradation do you think?View attachment 165579
Whoooo Whooooooo.! Can't you just hear that steam train coming round the bend?:) Maybe it's the FC hype train. :D
Great pics from the void! (y)

Not getting on much due to illness. Getting up and booting the PC and controllers has been too much of a stretch. :(
Stuck to harassing people on the Forum and continuing my musical education on the tablet.
Really want to get in the Beluga and do some luxury tours.:D
You can't rush these things.Rest and recovery takes time.And your forum efforts are most entertaining.Being myself someone who likes flying saceships, i do sympathise,however.

View attachment 165571

I think that might be one of the Magellenic Clouds, but I am not sure.

I am summoned. :geek:

I think that might be one of the Magellenic Clouds, but I am not sure.
I don't know how complete that is, maybe our guru @Sapyx will drop in and let us know.

Yes, that's one of the Magellanic Clouds. The Large Magellanic Cloud, to be specific, with the distinctive horseshoe-shape that reminds many people of the Thargoid emblem.

As for the completeness of the Wiki list of skybox-visible galaxies, as far as I can tell it's been derived from DrKaii's Thread on the subject, here on the forum. Unfortunately, all the effort DrKaii went to to get highest-possible-res screenshots of each galaxy, seems to have been wasted as the picture links are now all broken.

I am summoned. :geek:

Yes, that's one of the Magellanic Clouds. The Large Magellanic Cloud, to be specific, with the distinctive horseshoe-shape that reminds many people of the Thargoid emblem.

As for the completeness of the Wiki list of skybox-visible galaxies, as far as I can tell it's been derived from DrKaii's Thread on the subject, here on the forum. Unfortunately, all the effort DrKaii went to to get highest-possible-res screenshots of each galaxy, seems to have been wasted as the picture links are now all broken.

LOL

Re the links to the forum entries:

However the thumbnail images at the foot of the page showing locations in the skybox do still work.

...and since I have been summoned here to this thread for the first time in 361 pages, I may as well do as the OP asks.

I am currently almost halfway through the final survey in the fourth of five sectors planned for my ED7K Project: a goal of completely scanning 200 stars in each of the seven most common star classes (BAFGKML), across 5 sectors, for a total of 7000 systems surveyed. This current one is the M-class survey, which is the second-most-boring of the seven (the most boring being, of course, L-class). The most interesting thing found in this survey so far is, let's see... a couple of non-terraformable waterworlds, an ammonia world, and a few unusual planetary configurations.

Last edited:
Made my first FSD Boost jump and hopped the wall from The Void back to the Outer Arm..First planet i scanned was a waterworld,which i took to be a good sign.Now in a small cluster of stars which i hope will get me a few ly before i have to repeat the process.About 350 ly to the border, so i should make it into the sector o.k.,and from there it's hunt and peck to get as deep as i can before it's time to head home.
zd1.jpg

Back in the Outer Arm, still inching my way along, i came upon this planet with interesting scenery.It had a touch of the ancients about it,so i decided to have a litlle fun on the peaks.First the pyramid, on which i landed successfully before debouching into the SRV..
lwd.jpg

The peak rises 920 metres above the plain below, and it's a long way down.I tried to freewheel down,but came unstuck about a third of the way down .Being a low g planet
and having plenty of time to stabilise the craft, we sailed down and landed relatively safely with only minor damage to the chassis.Then it's off to visit Zaggadoom.
zahadoo.jpg

attzd1.jpg

It's quite a trip, but well worth the views.
longview.jpg

I can see for miles and miles.:)
Final edit:1 more single boost and i've crossed the border into Aquila's Halo. \0/.

Last edited:
I put gimbbly denis in storage at Jamieson memorial , as the grind through the combat ranks was slowing up...
Decided to make a fast imperial clipper with enough cargo(80T) to have a first go at power play dynamics. I could only get a 30ly jump range.
But good speed and boost, this is only going to be a jump and runaway ship.
zephyrus.jpg

Made a pledge to FELICIA WINTERS because the disruptor looked interesting. OMG, the grind is even more horrendous. Weeks to get any where in rank. The 30min delay to restock in 15 unit intervals..the halving of rank merits at the weekly tick. The gauging of credits to by pass the restock delays. On the plus side if I ever get there a 50Mcr weekly pay packet looks good. I got to work out a game play style that lets me do a combat run, then a power play run, then a cargo run , then a mats run...perhaps all from one station.? Any build info for a very fast long jumping IMP clipper build (60T cargo min) most welcome.

OMG, the grind is even more horrendous. Weeks to get any where in rank. The 30min delay to restock in 15 unit intervals..the halving of rank merits at the weekly tick. The gauging of credits to by pass the restock delays.
Yeah, don't do that.

Go to a control system where a competing faction is expanding and shoot their ships. RESes are good for this, as are Compromised Navigation Beacons. Just drop in, shoot up the ships, jump out, rinse and repeat. You can get your 750 merits for rank three in a couple of hours on the Wednesday night of week 3, then do nothing for a week, and come out after the Powerplay tick on the Thursday with the rank to buy the modules. Buy plenty of them, then leave and sign up to another power to do the same.

Yeah, don't do that.

Go to a control system where a competing faction is expanding and shoot their ships. RESes are good for this, as are Compromised Navigation Beacons. Just drop in, shoot up the ships, jump out, rinse and repeat. You can get your 750 merits for rank three in a couple of hours on the Wednesday night of week 3, then do nothing for a week, and come out after the Powerplay tick on the Thursday with the rank to buy the modules. Buy plenty of them, then leave and sign up to another power to do the same.
Ok i'll work on that. Gimbbly Denis will be good for this. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom