The Deep Space Support Array (DSSA) | A FleetComm Initiative

Well, if prices do go live the way they are now, then I won't be buying a fleet carrier, which means I'll be pulling out of this. I recommend others do the same: that might put some more pressure on Frontier.
This, combined with no UC, is pretty rough.

I'll "probably" still get one-- But, if things stay as they are, I might not want to move it out of the bubble, or at least not very far. I'm reserving judgment until we see how the beta plays out over the course of its run.

I might get one just to haul a beer load out 50kly and corner the market on the one or two thirsty explorers that will sail thru in a year.

We also don't know the credit cost of jumps yet, nobody has tested and posted them. Judging by some upkeep numbers though, it could be somewhere in 10-50 million Cr per jump.

Exigious did the numbers on this in his stream:

Fuel costs 40,000 per ton of tritium, so to fill the 1000T tank costs 40,000,000 (if you buy the tritium rather than mine it). If you fill the 25,000 cargo hold with fuel then it will cost you 1,000,000,000 credits to fill the carrier with tritium, which will get you 52 jumps or 26,000 lys worth of traveling. Lets say it takes you 52 days of real life time to do those jumps, one jump per night.

Now, each jump seems to incur a "wear & tear" cost of 1,000,000 on the carrier and you pay this as you go, it seems to be added to the upkeep.

A fully outfitted carrier (total costs) is 7.6 billion for the carrier itself plus all services. It also costs 44,000,000 per week in upkeep for all of those services.

Thus, jumping your carrier 26,000 lys into deep space over the span of 52 days should cost you about a total of 9,004,000,000 credits.

And then it will cost you a continuous 44 million per week just to keep that carrier out their sitting in deep space.

Hopefully the numbers get adjusted BIG TIME.

Exigious did the numbers on this in his stream:

Fuel costs 40,000 per ton of tritium, so to fill the 1000T tank costs 40,000,000 (if you buy the tritium rather than mine it). If you fill the 25,000 cargo hold with fuel then it will cost you 1,000,000,000 credits to fill the carrier with tritium, which will get you 52 jumps or 26,000 lys worth of traveling. Lets say it takes you 52 days of real life time to do those jumps, one jump per night.

Now, each jump seems to incur a "wear & tear" cost of 1,000,000 on the carrier and you pay this as you go, it seems to be added to the upkeep.

A fully outfitted carrier (total costs) is 7.6 billion for the carrier itself plus all services. It also costs 44,000,000 per week in upkeep for all of those services.

Thus, jumping your carrier 26,000 lys into deep space over the span of 52 days should cost you about a total of 9,004,000,000 credits.

And then it will cost you a continuous 44 million per week just to keep that carrier out their sitting in deep space.

Hopefully the numbers get adjusted BIG TIME.

Still early, but it looks as if fuel consumption is NOT linear. That the further the jump, the more efficient it seems to be with consumption. I HOPE there is some truth to that part of it.

We're only a few hours in to a 3-week beta, and I'm sure Frontier will take on board the issues people have raised over the costs etc.

I'd be very surprised if they weren't set high on purpose, with the intention on lowering them after feedback to find a much more sensible running cost & fuel consumption etc. Its easier for them to do it that way than to start with cheap costs and then raise them later on (imagine the salt if they'd did it that way!) ;)

In addition, if costs remain unreasonably high, there are still aspects of the DSSA Initiative that will remain viable, albeit in a much more condensed way - with Carriers being deployed to a handful of key locations only, instead of all regions, giving those interested a chance to pool their efforts in 3 or 4 expeditions that concentrate on a smaller but more financially manageable distribution of the array.

Its very early yet. Lets see what happens over the next few weeks.

We're only a few hours in to a 3-week beta, and I'm sure Frontier will take on board the issues people have raised over the costs etc.

I'd be very surprised if they weren't set high on purpose, with the intention on lowering them after feedback to find a much more sensible running cost & fuel consumption etc. Its easier for them to do it that way than to start with cheap costs and then raise them later on (imagine the salt if they'd did it that way!) ;)

In addition, if costs remain unreasonably high, there are still aspects of the DSSA Initiative that will remain viable, albeit in a much more condensed way - with Carriers being deployed to a handful of key locations only, instead of all regions, giving those interested a chance to pool their efforts in 3 or 4 expeditions that concentrate on a smaller but more financially manageable distribution of the array.

Its very early yet. Lets see what happens over the next few weeks.

It is early indeed, which is why we need to beat this drum starting right now.

On a positive note, I've seen a few streams now with people mining for tritium and it appears capable to gather about 100-200 tons per hour from icy rings with lasers. That means it should be possible to mine enough fuel during the carrier cooldowns to keep it continuously jumping, give or take an hour extra per jump. With constant mining and no exploring of course.

On a positive note, I've seen a few streams now with people mining for tritium and it appears capable to gather about 100-200 tons per hour from icy rings with lasers. That means it should be possible to mine enough fuel during the carrier cooldowns to keep it continuously jumping, give or take an hour extra per jump. With constant mining and no exploring of course.
If you find a tritium hotspot, I assume. So you have to explore until you find one, then you spend 3-5 hours mining to be able to make another jump.
It's quite a grind if it's just you yourself mining, but a reasonable time if you have a few people working together. Provided you can find any, of course.

And then there is this...

Um, yeah, this isn't entirely correct. The 44 million weekly upkeep is only the amount its going to cost to cover from today until Thursday, the next server tick.

It is actually 147,000,000 per full week for the upkeep of a fully outfitted carrier. That is 7.64 BILLION in upkeep costs per year. Just upkeep for a stationary carrier. :oops:

Um, yeah, this isn't entirely correct. The 44 million weekly upkeep is only the amount its going to cost to cover from today until Thursday, the next server tick.

It is actually 147,000,000 per full week for the upkeep of a fully outfitted carrier. That is 7.64 BILLION in upkeep costs per year. Just upkeep for a stationary carrier. :oops:
It's not like explorers would need a refuelling service though. If you run just the useful stuff, meaning rearm, repair, shipyard and outfitting, it would be... 108 milllion per week.
Welp.

Top Bottom