Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I can have 3 collectors and 2 prospectors.

I'm getting a thousand yard stare at the multitude of collector death. And Verity needs to up her game as the prospectors are quite copasetic.

If you have one one Prospecter Limpet in play when you launch a new one the old one expires and the the new one does it’s thing... kinda like a “The King is dead, long live the King” deal....
Just to be clear, how many prospectors you can have depend on your prospector controller size. A size 1 can only control 1 limpet and the above will be true. A size 3 prospector controller allows two live limpets, meaning if you have one live and fire another, nothing will happen to the first. If you have two live and fire another, the oldest one will fail. A size 5 prospector controller can have 4 live limpets and firing a fifth will cause the oldest one to fail (and give you the "prospector limpet failed" message). A size 7 prospector ... no, there is no reason to go above size 5 ...
For core mining, a size 1 prospector controller is enough. For laser mining, going with at least a size 3 is advisable and you can even go with a size 5 depending on your priorities.

Unlike collector limpet controllers that stop firing once its max number of limpets are out, the prospector limpet controller does not stop you from firing off another one just because it has the max number of limpets out - resulting in limpet failure.

Just to be clear, how many prospectors you can have depend on your prospector controller size. A size 1 can only control 1 limpet and the above will be true. A size 3 prospector controller allows two live limpets, meaning if you have one live and fire another, nothing will happen to the first. If you have two live and fire another, the oldest one will fail. A size 5 prospector controller can have 4 live limpets and firing a fifth will cause the oldest one to fail (and give you the "prospector limpet failed" message). A size 7 prospector ... no, there is no reason to go above size 5 ...
For core mining, a size 1 prospector controller is enough. For laser mining, going with at least a size 3 is advisable and you can even go with a size 5 depending on your priorities.

Unlike collector limpet controllers that stop firing once its max number of limpets are out, the prospector limpet controller does not stop you from firing off another one just because it has the max number of limpets out - resulting in limpet failure.
As always ... way better explained than I ;)

If you tell a collector limpet to ignore certain elements, but a fragment contains that element plus others, does it ignore the whole fragment? Logically, I would say yes but I'm not 100%

Repurposed the 'Conda from explorer to miner - not too much of an outlay as I cannibalised the thrusters, PP and PD from the 'Vette and some mining tools from the Krait. The Krait, Moist von Lipwig now has no raison d'etre. A thought for the future.
  • Why is that, sometimes my collector limpets last ages, whilst other times they'll expire quite quickly? I don't have anything targetted so they shouldn't be getting confoozed.
  • Also, why do my prospector limpets always fail according to Verity then go on and do their job flawlessly?
The vagueries of a miner I suppose!

The peculiarities about the death announcements of prospector limpets have been explained you will get one other message about them as you leave the area and go out of range the last limpet will expire. You will also notice that Quite often the first prospector you launch when entering the ring dies immediately I usually put this down to launching while travelling to fast but it might be some other bug in my procedures.

Collector limpets are incredibly stupid and prone to smashing themselves on bits of your ship, lumps of rock or debris close below your ship, getting sideswiped by bits of the rock you are mining and that favourite trick of theirs trying to recover something that is inaccessible.

I've dabbled in the beta- blowout and scratched my small carrier itch. Had more fun buying a few ships I'd not bought before. Space cow, viper and Anaconda. Small ships is still where it's at. Though the Anaconda with some engineering would make you feel as if you're in a medium ship, until you get to the mail slot! I think I've got enough imperial rank to get the Clipper so I might give that a try too. Fer-de-lance and Mamba, just to say I have. I've been pondering getting into combat but I'm looking for a hotas ahead of that. X56 is out of stock most places, can't imagine why there had been a run on them. Something to stack the toilet roll on probably.

EDIT - Because it gives me a giggle.

Brief Excitement.jpg

Last edited:
The peculiarities about the death announcements of prospector limpets have been explained you will get one other message about them as you leave the area and go out of range the last limpet will expire. You will also notice that Quite often the first prospector you launch when entering the ring dies immediately I usually put this down to launching while travelling to fast but it might be some other bug in my procedures.

Collector limpets are incredibly stupid and prone to smashing themselves on bits of your ship, lumps of rock or debris close below your ship, getting sideswiped by bits of the rock you are mining and that favourite trick of theirs trying to recover something that is inaccessible.
No it somehow only delivers the wanted bits, I suspect it gets the refinery to help sort the problem out.

Thank you CMDR! (y)

Well, it is a dark art and no mistake as I had already been applying that demand being over 10 times capacity "rule"; in a 208t python, going to stations with over 4K demand I was being offered very much lower prices than miner's tool etc was indicating. I am not one for maxing stats and efficiency (too lazy) so I never investigated further but I found this very noticeable.
That is weird. This never happened to me except when I happened to mine around the daily tick. ..........

Well I found the time to go into another account and use its 208t capacity mining Python to check this out. Seems I must have been having issues before as tonight the sale price offered was as predicted by the miner's tool EDDB look-up table. So there is no 200t threshold it seems, I was just mistaken. (Doing that a lot lately. :( )

Trying to figure out what I want from Internal Compartments in a ship. There is so much variety across all ships but it's maybe the one thing I least understand right now.
Start by focussing on what you want to do in that ship right now to reduce the number of choices.

Your build doesn’t have to be perfect it just has to be good enough this time, when you get one where this time is most times record it in Coriolis or EDSY that way you can recreate it if you didn’t store the ship.

That 'roid never stood a chance...

i7x85XH.jpg

I've become slightly more efficient than this now. Makes a nice change of pace to painting my name on the galaxy :D

Now all I need is way to turn off those annoying red flashing proximity alert lights.

Last edited:
That 'roid never stood a chance...

I've become slightly more efficient than this now. Makes a nice change of pace to painting my name on the galaxy :D

Now all I need is way to turn off those annoying red flashing proximity alert lights.
Someone told me that if you lower your landing gear they go off. I doubt it’s true, but I have not tried 😊

Someone told me that if you lower your landing gear they go off. I doubt it’s true, but I have not tried 😊

No, landing gear doesn't help, alas. What was that old film where a woman scientist was sent into a trance thing while they were studying some kind of virus thing in a futuristic lab? She wnet all doolally because of a red flashing light. Andromeda Strain?

No, landing gear doesn't help, alas. What was that old film where a woman scientist was sent into a trance thing while they were studying some kind of virus thing in a futuristic lab? She wnet all doolally because of a red flashing light. Andromeda Strain?

Yes deploying your landing gear does turn off the flashing red prox lights. Try it.

Top Bottom