ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I watched that the other day. Fair play to Linus for holding his hands up. He did squirm, but he took responsibility for his deeds, and that showed respect and maturity. I realise that he has a reputation to protect, but (especially on Twitter) a lot of people would have doubled down, rather than admit that they are wrong. Goes to show how people shouldn't act or base an opinion on here say as if it is factual, as well as not judging hardware that they haven't experienced ;)

'inferior (yes, inferior) storage': I'm not sure if the storage (PC SSD's) is necessarily inferior in itself, but Sony's approach to it's utilisation, if successful (which it looks to me that it will be), will make better use of SSD's for gaming in particular. I think that PC's may want to adopt the same approach, although that would mean a heck of a lot in terms of hardware architecture and re writing software so, for gaming, maybe PS5 will have the edge. Only time will tell. There is still the freedom of upgrading a PC as and when, but if PS5 can really be cutting edge, why bother building a PC, unless building is a hobby (which is fine, of course)?

Decent competition is healthy. It gives us more choice. I decided on PC, because they are (depending on components of course), more powerful. But that comes at a financial price. If Sony had more companies making Hotas' and the like for their system (as well as good VR), I would likely get one.

Imagine if you could hook up audio inputs and MIDI hardware and a mixing desk and install a DAW. Without all the optimisation ('tis but a dream), I'd be sold on it.

I had a PS3 when it came out, but I initially got it as a Blu Ray player that I could game on. It was cheaper than all the other blue ray players, and a good one. I did get quite a few games of course, as well as a Wheel and Pedals.
PC will always be superior purely because it allows us to unlock framerates and tailor our settings how we like them.

Consoles have always been, and will continue to be, entirely locked-in experiences. 60fps maximum. No graphics options. No overclocking.

VR isn't being REMOVED. You even said it yourself; it's still all there in Horizons and the base game. It's not like Odyssey is literally deleting the old expansions. Because its a PAID expansion, it means there's the possibility that not everyone willl buy it. Nor do they expect you to be obligated to buy it. If you're enjoying VR in Horizons, then keep playing Horizons.

This isn't complicated.
And the non-Horizons compatible macOS client wasn't removed when Horizons was released and got all the updates proper to the base game until its removal in December 2018. But the macOS version was an inferior version once it fell behind.

It may be that Frontier will support VR in Odyssey after launch, but that hasn't been confirmed. So the question is, will the VR client still be as attractive, once it falls behind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing we're doing, only we're acting on hearsay of the community manager ;-)
As for new console hardware it looks too good to be true in my eyes, but it apparently is. It isn't storage per se which is better but the whole new paradigm of IO communication, prioritizing requests (and not in FDEV way! ;), and hardware compression / decompression by Kraken. It will be a damn fine piece of hardware. I wonder if Sony plans for PSVR2 with this. I've heard some rumours about patents, but didn't pay much attention to "console VR". Stupid PCMR... All in all if they really deliver an 8-core CPU, with graphics supposedly rivalling today's RTX series or better, it will give PCs a run for its money. But as someone mentioned, it was prophesized that previous generations will kill PC gaming and it didn't happened, so let's wait and see. Worst case scenario I will have additional plastic crap to place in my living room :D
Psvr2 will happen. If it's at launch is anyone's guess but Sony's spin on VR is by far the most popular in the world.

Last edited:
I watched that the other day. Fair play to Linus for holding his hands up. He did squirm, but he took responsibility for his deeds, and that showed respect and maturity. I realise that he has a reputation to protect, but (especially on Twitter) a lot of people would have doubled down, rather than admit that they are wrong. Goes to show how people shouldn't act or base an opinion on here say as if it is factual, as well as not judging hardware that they haven't experienced ;)

'inferior (yes, inferior) storage': I'm not sure if the storage (PC SSD's) is necessarily inferior in itself, but Sony's approach to it's utilisation, if successful (which it looks to me that it will be), will make better use of SSD's for gaming in particular. I think that PC's may want to adopt the same approach, although that would mean a heck of a lot in terms of hardware architecture and re writing software so, for gaming, maybe PS5 will have the edge. Only time will tell. There is still the freedom of upgrading a PC as and when, but if PS5 can really be cutting edge, why bother building a PC, unless building is a hobby (which is fine, of course)?

Decent competition is healthy. It gives us more choice. I decided on PC, because they are (depending on components of course), more powerful. But that comes at a financial price. If Sony had more companies making Hotas' and the like for their system (as well as good VR), I would likely get one.

Imagine if you could hook up audio inputs and MIDI hardware and a mixing desk and install a DAW. Without all the optimisation ('tis but a dream), I'd be sold on it.

I had a PS3 when it came out, but I initially got it as a Blu Ray player that I could game on. It was cheaper than all the other blue ray players, and a good one. I did get quite a few games of course, as well as a Wheel and Pedals.
It remains to be seen what support PS5 gets for additional hardware and features. My current setup has a top range HOTAS and stick and I run Voice Attack which gives voice control to most things so I can just keep what I need bound on the stick and throttle. Will the PS5 be able to do the same?

Why preorder, though? -The expansion will not be out for months. I am sure it will appear on the Frontier store in due time.
People have differing financial situations. When ED:H first came out I realised that I was going to be buying all the expansions anyway and purchased the life-time pass instead. At the time I could afford to do that. A few months before or after that point and I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I suspect the poster may be in a good position now.

Odyssey needs to be at least partially VR compatible on launch. I understand legs not being supported but the thought of new planet types not being VR supported for vehicle travel is hugely concerning.

Not to mention the addition of legs at this point seems backward and premature at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I want legs. I've wanted them since the beginning but it makes more sense to add the new planet types and core game content before adding a whole new game style.

Not to mention we've got incomplete update upon incomplete update piling up on us and they're going to add what amounts to a new game within a game?

What about shoring up engineering? Rebalancing modules from Power Play?
Fixing instancing for squadrons?
More SRVs should have been part of Horizons.
More planet types should have been part of Horizons.

The point is the core game needs work. Elite needs work.

This guy says ED Odyssey Cant Compete with Star Citizen!!....LOL
He's comparing SC to pre-Odyssey ED. And he does have a point. I'm currently taking the trip from the bubble to Colonia in a Sidewinder with a 17Ly minimum jump range. So I am seeing a lot of star systems. And yes, they pretty much do all look alike. As one would expect, since they are procedurally generated.

The goal of the Odyssey expansion from my point of view is not really the space legs themselves. Technically we have those already; just take a look at your Holo-Me, it has a pair of legs, right? The point of EDO is to bring the content that can only be explored on foot, not even in an SRV. To me at least, that means interiors. And those, too, can be procedurally generated in large numbers from a comparatively small number of hand-crafted assets. As shown here:

David Braben has been praising procedural generation for decades, so this kind of stuff should be right up in his ballpark. What I am looking forward to the most in EDO is walkable station interiors, cities, Thargoid caves, Guardian dungeons etc. Social hubs to chill out in with other commanders between missions. NPCs to approach and recruit me for clandestine missions that I wouldn't find on the mission board. Gun fights of course. But also fancy outfits from the ARX store to customize my commander's appearance, and other players actually having a chance to see them. Currently there's way too much social distancing in ED. Hopefully Odyssey will fix that, at least to some extent. ;)

Mass effect with Elite dangerous space component...perfect! Fap..fap..fap!!!

If this is good I'll retract all of my pass but warranted vitriol...and insult myself publicly.

Two request tho...

1. Mega blow out of ship kits, pieces upon pieces upon pieces!
2. can we please have some actual space with no npc ships...I'm talking desolate desolation of the most desolate
with just alot more desolation for good measure!

Odyssey needs to be at least partially VR compatible on launch. I understand legs not being supported but the thought of new planet types not being VR supported for vehicle travel is hugely concerning.

Not to mention the addition of legs at this point seems backward and premature at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I want legs. I've wanted them since the beginning but it makes more sense to add the new planet types and core game content before adding a whole new game style.

Not to mention we've got incomplete update upon incomplete update piling up on us and they're going to add what amounts to a new game within a game?

What about shoring up engineering? Rebalancing modules from Power Play?
Fixing instancing for squadrons?
More SRVs should have been part of Horizons.
More planet types should have been part of Horizons.

The point is the core game needs work. Elite needs work.
Most of your points are valid but FD want to create a paid DLC as well so they can broaden their income. Introducing space legs means they can still improve Elite as per your points above but sell something additional as well. At least, I imagine that's how FD see it.

Deleted member 251664

D
Great article that you've linked here, lots of interesting insights. You should read it. ;) How's about this quote:

If this doesn't ring a bell to you I really don't know what to say...

Typical frillop answer when cornered: you cherry pick one thing (which is obvious to any VR implementation) and totally miss the reason why DBobe released the interview: to show how ED is a natural fit for VR (his words in the link) and prominent feature and thus sell the game.

Also notice how he considered 10 percent of people in alpha using oculus an HIGH percentage.

Before doubting about others' capability to understand a written text, ask yourself if you are selectively reading/misinterpreting just to win an argument.

And again in case you selectively erased this from your mind to illude yourself: https://web.archive.org/web/20151217140203/https://www.elitedangerous.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom