Why is player system chat visible in solo?

More curiosity than annoyance, I can easily set my system chat to hidden (tabbed doesnt really work as messages pile up and trigger UI to spam new messages pop up alert).

was this changed last 18 months or so? I don’t recall when playing in solo ever seeing chat from other players in system.

i play in all modes - open, private group, and solo - but when I choose to be in solo, it’s weird to be spammed with system chat by players that don’t exist in my game mode.

I think it was the September update? Recent certainly. It kind of makes sense though with carriers in game now though, as they are also in solo.

I think it was the September update? Recent certainly. It kind of makes sense though with carriers in game now though, as they are also in solo.

those carriers, while player owned, are essentially npc operated megaships or stations effectively when in solo. If I saw carrier npc chat as system chat while in solo, ok that might make sense.

but we are seeing player chat from ppl flying individual ships that don’t exist and can’t otherwise be seen in solo mode.

player system chat adds to sense of community while in open / group, but takes away choice to be solo in solo.

like I said, I’ve taken to hiding system chat under chat which solves the issue, but one side effect of this is it means I lose all other non player system dialog.

those carriers, while player owned, are essentially npc operated megaships or stations effectively when in solo. If I saw carrier npc chat as system chat while in solo, ok that might make sense.

but we are seeing player chat from ppl flying individual ships that don’t exist and can’t otherwise be seen in solo mode.

player system chat adds to sense of community while in open / group, but takes away choice to be solo in solo.

like I said, I’ve taken to hiding system chat under chat which solves the issue, but one side effect of this is it means I lose all other non player system dialog.

Conversely, can a player in solo's chat be read by those in open?

What I mean is the carriers are owned by players, and could be moved within the time you are in a system. The players deciding this may well be discussing their plans in chat.

In any case, I just ignore it as being irrelevant chatter when in solo, like wedding barges. Just sweary wedding barges.

Takes away choice? Just set the system chat to tabbed, and don't tab over to it. Voila, you don't see it anymore.

System chat is specifically meant to be across all modes, for anyone in the system.

Takes away choice? Just set the system chat to tabbed, and don't tab over to it. Voila, you don't see it anymore.

System chat is specifically meant to be across all modes, for anyone in the system.

a) as i explained in OP, setting system chat to tabbed is not viable b/c it will trigger new message popups - I don’t mean the small exclamation point on comm UI which is easily ignorable. I mean the large bold yellow popup message on screen saying “7 new messages“.

b) for majority of time game has been out, system chat was not shared across all modes - so when you say “system chat is specifically meant to be across all modes”, are you saying the previous functionality of per mode was a bug all this time and not meant by fdev?

better way to be more factual is it used to be per mode, it is now shared all modes. I prefer solo to actually be solo. The workaround of setting system chat to hide, not tabbed, works but as stated has the downside of removing all system chat not just the player chat.

System chat has never been filtered by mode and makes little sense if it doesn't transcend mode. If you only want to speak to CMDRs in your instance, you'd use local. NPCs also never use system chat.

System chat is new, there was none for the majority of the time the game has been out.

i meant as in the chat we now see piped into ‘system’ chat was formerly piped into main (E.g, player chat if in open mode). System tab chat is new, but the chat from that new mode isn’t. We never had player chat from modes we were not logged into before, now we do. I was commenting you can’t say something was “meant” one way when there was clear history of it being opposite for quite some time.

i’m not and wasn’t advocating for zero chat in solo, all the npc chatter, system messages from game, etc are fine - just like hearing station chatter it adds to immersion.

also want to be clear it’s not some big complaint of mine - was curious why I was seeing player chat in solo mode when that wasn’t the case before. The only minor issue I have is tabbed system chat isn’t an option because of the forced new message pop ups spamming ui in heavy chatter systems, and while hide option works 100% without the message prompt spam, it does have the downside of hiding all system chat like notices of entering new system with name.

this is also a minor and livable downside - but if I could pick an ideal solution, it would be one to simply let us filter chats from modes we are not in.

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
i meant as in the chat we now see piped into ‘system’ chat was formerly piped into main (E.g, player chat if in open mode). System tab chat is new, but the chat from that new mode isn’t. We never had player chat from modes we were not logged into before, now we do. I was commenting you can’t say something was “meant” one way when there was clear history of it being opposite for quite some time.

i’m not and wasn’t advocating for zero chat in solo, all the npc chatter, system messages from game, etc are fine - just like hearing station chatter it adds to immersion.

also want to be clear it’s not some big complaint of mine - was curious why I was seeing player chat in solo mode when that wasn’t the case before. The only minor issue I have is tabbed system chat isn’t an option because of the forced new message pop ups spamming ui in heavy chatter systems, and while hide option works 100% without the message prompt spam, it does have the downside of hiding all system chat like notices of entering new system with name.

this is also a minor and livable downside - but if I could pick an ideal solution, it would be one to simply let us filter chats from modes we are not in.

Hi there,

System-wide chat has only ever existed as mode-agnostic and was added in Beyond - Chapter 4 at the end of 2018; alongside the other non-direct chat modes which extended outside of your current instance (e.g. squadron chat) and the ability to split chat types into tabs.

Previously you had local chat with players in your instance (e.g. that you could see around the starport that you were visiting), wing chat and private messages; which were all displayed in a single panel.

Thanks,
Dom

Hi there,

System-wide chat has only ever existed as mode-agnostic and was added in Beyond - Chapter 4 at the end of 2018; alongside the other chat modes which extended outside of your current instance (e.g. squadron chat) and the ability to split chat types into tabs.

Previously you had local chat with players in your instance (e.g. that you could see around the starport that you were visiting), wing chat and private messages; which were all displayed in a single panel.

Thanks,
Dom

let me rephrase then to have zero misunderstanding -

a) previously and for quite some time, players choosing to play in solo or private group mode were not subject to general player chat (e.g. Non-direct player to player messages) from outside that mode.

b) it was changed to now be cross modes

c) I can live just fine with current status quo, but would also prefer a filter allowing chat from modes we don’t want instead of the non-ideal tabbed or hide workaround. This would hurt nobody except those that feel somehow less for having their mode chat suppressed in players games who specifically choose to not play in their mode.

A private group with only you in it is the same thing.

Like I said no need for solo. It's still connected to the online server, just like a private group of your own with just you in it.

Top Bottom