VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Whether they decide to implement it afterwards is another question. But having a bunch of entitled people throwing in threats and demands is not going to help. It will likely get peoples backs up and it will work against you/us.
Can you provide a citation Max, if anyone has made threats?

Most people I've seen have been voicing their dissatisfaction and are just saying they're going to vote with their wallets. Wouldn't you agree that this is their prerogative?

Your first two bullet points are mutually exclusive - if VR is niche, then it should not matter whether it meets some arbitrary standards or not. You're only affecting a niche number of players by that logic.

That's an absurd conclusion. Flight sims are niche. Does that mean they have no industry standards which they try and meet?

(If anything niches accessed via exclusive, expensive equipment tend to have more exacting fans, not the opposite ;))

All projects go "up against it" when it comes to resourcing. Its how you manage those challenges that matters and not trying at all is just a poor excuse.

Sure. But if you've experience in the area you'll know that sometimes the solutions include regrettably cutting something, or pushing them down the line. It's true of artistic projects, it's true of business projects. ED is both.

Hopefully what has happened is a deferment (pushing to a future budget), not a cutting room floor job...

I can't prove it, but I will wager £50 to Special Effect if someone can give me actual auditable numbers proving that there are more FC owners (people not accounts) than VR users.

Ok yep, it's not the known fact you were stating it as. Glad we agree ;)

The broader point was that FDev were trying to give long-term veterans something distracting during the wait for Odyssey. I notice you haven't addressed that key issue ;)

Funny you mention three weeks, because during my stint in the industry, one of my colleagues did an engine conversion from DX7 to 9 in a product just as complex, if not more so than COBRA, in just that amount of time.

You mentioned 3 weeks 😄. I said it was an arbitrary period of time you've pulled out of the air. Because it is.

Aside from anything else, the example you're using is about an engine conversion. It's not a direct parallel, as FDev would clearly have to do more than just support VR rendering. They'd almost certainly have to support bespoke VR input systems and gameplay solutions. (As discussed ad nauseum in the thread). Industry standards old boy ;)

Putting a timeframe on that would be pure conjecture without knowing more details. (And yet you're still using it as some kind of known entity in this post, IE 'given there's maybe a few man weeks of effort being saved'....)

Here's a direct question: do you feel VR users are justifiably being sacrificed, because somehow dropping VR from the product entirely (i.e. not even getting the seated experience) will make 2D Odyssey better?

I can understand the decision. (VR is niche, VR 'FPS' done to industry standards is non-trivial in a multiplayer / crossplay open world game). I was prepared for it on those grounds.

That doesn't mean I'm happy about it, or that I'll ever stop canvasing for VR to be properly supported.

Just for the record I have no interest in legs

Just for the record I do ;)

But both those notes in the annals of time are entirely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that the DLC has a major Legs focus. And that will have to be tackled on the VR front in a professional product release.

The nausea reduction techniques still take dev though. That bit is pretty uncontroversial.

Your camera suite example is a bit of a reach. It’s hardly core gameplay, it’s an optional bonus. Despite FDev’s VR support being on the lower end, they did make sure core gameplay aspects like the SRV did have some nausea options (IE the horizon lock etc).

Nausea just simply is an issue for a first-person character gameplay, that needs some mitigation. Trying to suggest it’s a non-issue is daft.
I've never said it's not an issue but as far as I know there are no surefire ways to prevent it altogether so do what you can to mitigate and accept that for some it still won't be enough.
Also, and I've mentioned this before, even if you are one of the people who get motion sickness,even if you are one of the people for whom the mitigation doesn't work you can get used to it. There are ways to train your VR-legs and there will probably always be people who need to do that.

Nausea is definitely an issue (I know this from experience) not just for FPS gameplay but that isn't a reason not to do it, if it were VR would be DOA.

I want buy it if they don't give me VR. It's all over the forums.
As far as "threats" go its not all that threatening now is it and I'm assuming you mean the "No VR, no buy" slogan because as far as I know no one threatened to buy if they don't give them VR.

Besides voting with our wallets is the only leverage we have and it's not like we threaten to key Davids Jag... or would he have a BMW?

As far as "threats" go its not all that threatening now is it and I'm assuming you mean the "No VR, no buy" slogan because as far as I know no one threatened to buy if they don't give them VR.

Besides voting with our wallets is the only leverage we have and it's not like we threaten to key Davids Jag... or would he have a BMW?
*Key his Anaconda

I've never said it's not an issue but as far as I know there are no surefire ways to prevent it altogether so do what you can to mitigate and accept that for some it still won't be enough.
Also, and I've mentioned this before, even if you are one of the people who get motion sickness,even if you are one of the people for whom the mitigation doesn't work you can get used to it. There are ways to train your VR-legs and there will probably always be people who need to do that.

Nausea is definitely an issue (I know this from experience) not just for FPS gameplay but that isn't a reason not to do it, if it were VR would be DOA.

Yeah but your first response was to dismiss it as a potential issue. (It's worth noting that the CM also mumbled about 'all that other stuff' too, which I took to be more tech-y aspects that he couldn't articulate in that moment ;))

You also keep bringing up this 'can't remove it completely' angle like it wipes the slate clean on the dev front. But it's a non-point in that area. They still have to attempt some forms of mitigation.

(And given performance is one of the things that can affect nausea, as you've mentioned previously, that remit can spread pretty far...)

That's an absurd conclusion. Flight sims are niche. Does that mean they have no industry standards which they try and meet?

(If anything niches accessed via exclusive, expensive equipment tend to have more exacting fans, not the opposite ;))
That's absolutely correct - flight sims do not adhere to or meet industry standards (they probably define them). If that was the case DCS should not exist, because for the best part of 2 decades Matt has been unable to implement the standard (benchmark is a better term) set by Falcon 4 of having a dynamic realtime campaign, running a proper multi-threaded engine, capable of modelling tens of thousands of persistent AI entities in a multiplayer environment ;)

I agree about the exacting fans of flight sims - I have first hand experience of how exacting they are and the real threats, not just the imagined ones Max is alluding to.

Hopefully what has happened is a deferment (pushing to a future budget), not a cutting room floor job...
100% agree with this.
The broader point was that FDev were trying to give long-term veterans something distracting during the wait for Odyssey. I notice you haven't addressed that key issue ;)
I think you've kind of proved my point there and I will try and address it for clarity. Frontier have given an entire 18 month dev cycle for nothing major in return, because FC owners are not paying for that feature, but are now willing to throw away the revenue of VR players by dropping at the least a port of the VR seated experience for the Odyssey release. Does that not strike you as an odd decision and a strange way of making development budget decisions?
I can understand the decision.
I can also understand that the decision was made and why it may have been made. I just don't agree it's justified and hope to present the reasons why I think that.

That's absolutely correct - flight sims do not adhere to or meet industry standards (they probably define them). If that was the case DCS should not exist, because for the best part of 2 decades Matt has been unable to implement the standard (benchmark is a better term) set by Falcon 4 of having a dynamic realtime campaign, running a proper multi-threaded engine, capable of modelling tens of thousands of persistent AI entities in a multiplayer environment ;)

I agree about the exacting fans of flight sims - I have first hand experience of how exacting they are and the real threats, not just the imagined ones Max is alluding to.

A comparable example to a VR FPS / RPG / Walking Sim launching now without motion controllers and free locomotion etc would be a flight sim launching without HOTAS control ;)

That's the type of baseline industry standards I'm talking about. Not feature sets per se, which always vary between games.

I think you've kind of proved my point there and I will try and address it for clarity. Frontier have given an entire 18 month dev cycle for nothing major in return, because FC owners are not paying for that feature, but are now willing to throw away the revenue of VR players by dropping at the least a port of the VR seated experience for the Odyssey release. Does that not strike you as an odd decision and a strange way of making development budget decisions?

You still haven't addressed how FDev could have done this differently. Are you genuinely suggesting they should have deployed those dev efforts into Odyssey VR, and provided zero feature updates to the core game in 2020? (Having spent 2019 only adding feature updates for noobs, and bug fixes).

Because that sounds like a bad plan ;)

For all the sniping around Carriers, they've at minimum given the community something unifying the complain about ;). (And more practically, have coincided with player numbers hitting record levels, going by Steam).

Pragmatically speaking FDev had to retain interest in the game during the big Odyssey lull. I don't see how you're addressing this bit.

EDIT: And no, it doesn't strike me as hugely odd, or surprising. The obvious intent of Carriers was to provide an 'end game' target, and attract the attention of veteran players more broadly (with a bonus bit of press coverage, and messaging to new players that 'game not dead'). That target audience encompasses a ton of flatscreen players, even if not all of them end up getting a Carrier. And by extension, is once again a group that probably outnumbers VR Cmdrs in total. (Which may become more of note when the time comes for existing players to pony up for the new DLC).

Last edited:
Or, sure, they could do no specific VR optimisation, and leave it so only the nichest of niche VR players with the very top end gear could play.
I'd be ok with that, but I'm betting you'd find all the VR heads playing it, even unoptimised (FalloutVR runs terribly even on 1080TI's and it's still selling), with people putting the graphics down to be able to play it in VR. We're a hardy bunch and we know what we like (hint: It's VR).

It's an unfortunate fact that people in the game community (developers, players, publishers, etc) get actual threats from time to time. Death threats, etc. Please don't conflate "If your product isn't good, I won't buy it." with actual threats.
Maybe you should look up what threat means. There are many different meanings, choose the correct one. I wasn't talking about death threats obviously.

I'd be ok with that, but I'm betting you'd find all the VR heads playing it, even unoptimised (FalloutVR runs terribly even on 1080TI's and it's still selling), with people putting the graphics down to be able to play it in VR. We're a hardy bunch and we know what we like (hint: It's VR).
There are ENB's for SkyrimVR try getting consistent frame rates with that installed on top of 100+ other mods ;)

Maybe you should look up what threat means. There are many different meanings, choose the correct one. I wasn't talking about death threats obviously.

I'm not going to have a definition & connotation debate with you. I'm not interested in forum PvP. I'm trying to simply politely ask that you don't charge the discussion in such a way, because (if your name is any indication) we're both on the same side here.

It's not a threat if I say I will not buy Odessy if there isn't Vr support. It's a fact. Example I played Elite since launch in Vr and never in 2 d, now they expect me to continue to play in 2d . Not gonna happen. It's like playing call of duty and then forced to play farmville as a DLC.
Farmville, LOL

Top Bottom